CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we know that though? The family may be saying that but they seem intent on making people believe LE has done a poor job because they just think Karlie is a runaway and have classified her as such.

But that's not what I'm actually seeing:

"Sheriff's officials say she was reported missing the morning she disappeared and an exhaustive, multi-day search followed. Helicopters, search dogs and off-road vehicles were called in.

Investigators combed through Karlie's social media accounts and electronic devices in search of clues.

"We have done search warrants. We have done data dumps of all electronic devices. We've interviewed everyone that's related to her," said Braun.

The Mono County Sheriff even called in the FBI to assist in the investigation."

Search warrants issued, data pulled from electronic devices in search for missing teen
Helicopters happened to be in the area that day for some sort of show or event. LE did not send them out to search. Cadaver dogs went out one day and with plenty of heads up notice to Melissa. The FBI handled the electronics. Everything else has been volunteer search parties,

Sadly, if the local LE are friends of the dad & SM, and now we have DP giving his professional "opinion" that Karlie may have been trafficked, we may never know what happened and the chances of her case being changed to Missing/Endangered is highly unlikely. IMO

Her case has never been classified as a runaway. Just to clear that up. Not endangered but just "missing".

Did she say what time?

I wish I had time to compile all her statements and the sources.
This. I have so many files saved with news sources, profiles, videos, statements, maps - you name it.
I have work to do (real work!) and don't have time to find/link things now.

ETA: If you're asking about what time SM took that walk, it's on the live video in @Sunshine6812 left above. It was 10/17, I believe.

How do we know that though? The family may be saying that but they seem intent on making people believe LE has done a poor job because they just think Karlie is a runaway and have classified her as such.

But that's not what I'm actually seeing:

"Sheriff's officials say she was reported missing the morning she disappeared and an exhaustive, multi-day search followed. Helicopters, search dogs and off-road vehicles were called in.

Investigators combed through Karlie's social media accounts and electronic devices in search of clues.

"We have done search warrants. We have done data dumps of all electronic devices. We've interviewed everyone that's related to her," said Braun.

The Mono County Sheriff even called in the FBI to assist in the investigation."

Search warrants issued, data pulled from electronic devices in search for missing teen
LE can spin this however they want but the fact remains a thorough investigation was not done. That would be why they’re getting sued right now.

I believe SM altered the description of Karlie’s clothing to match what she was wearing that morning. There’s no reasonable explanation for changing the description especially when that description changed to what she herself was wearing. It was dark out and she could easily be mistaken for Karlie from a distance. OTOH if she knew what happened to Karlie, why would she have been out looking for her? I suppose she could have gone out to make it appear they didn’t know where she was.

If the “search” of the house was not done for 10 hours and consisted of merely a cursory look around then I doubt there’s much hope of finding out what happened here. Big mistake not sealing the house! Plenty of time to get rid of evidence in the desert while pretending to be searching. Small local agencies are not equipped to handle a missing child. Has it been confirmed anywhere that SM was/is friendly with Sheriff? If that’s true, FBI really needs to be brought in! Have they upgraded Karlie to Missing Endangered or is she still considered a runaway?

My heart breaks for Lindsay and Karlie’s siblings!

To me i see nothing to suggest that LE hasn't done a thorough job.

Also, there is zero evidence that she was merely considered a runaway. LE has never stated that. Only the dad and SM have.

The FBI and NCMEC got involved two weeks after she went missing.
Karlie Gusé Update: FBI, NCMEC joins search for missing girl who may have walked away ‘disoriented’

"Despite an extensive air and ground search, an investigation by local law enforcement and the FBI, and nationwide publicity, no clues have surfaced in the mysterious case.

Last weekend the sheriff’s office in Mono County, California, which is leading the investigation, searched the desert with cadaver-sniffing dogs.

But when Zac phoned Lindsay, she urged him to call the police, so he dialed 911. That afternoon the Mono County sheriff’s office launched a search and rescue operation.

According to Sgt. Clark, the weeklong effort involved multiple helicopters, half-a-dozen scent dogs and upward of 60 personnel.

Rex Hamilton, a neighbor who watched the search unfold, told the Review-Journal, “This is a quiet little community, but for a few days it was like ground zero up here.”

The sheriff’s office also enlisted help from the FBI in analyzing cellphone data and pursing leads."
Search continues for California teen Karlie Gusé

I think my response was cut off. I apologize, I’m new here and not familiar with this forum.
Friends of Zac and Melissa have known them to be good parents. In addition Mono County Sherrif is not equipped to handle anything of this magnitude. The “investigator” assigned is actually a parole officer. The most these sheriffs typically do is issue speeding tickets, more so during ski season. I do not believe even one officer lives in the area. Zac and Melissa’s friends are too close to the situation to be objective.
Link please for parole officer.

I think my response was cut off. I apologize, I’m new here and not familiar with this forum.
Friends of Zac and Melissa have known them to be good parents. In addition Mono County Sherrif is not equipped to handle anything of this magnitude. The “investigator” assigned is actually a parole officer. The most these sheriffs typically do is issue speeding tickets, more so during ski season. I do not believe even one officer lives in the area. Zac and Melissa’s friends are too close to the situation to be objective.

How do we know any of thatfor sure though? What I've seen reported and even confirmed by neighbors and by the Guse's points to an extensive and exhaustive search and investigation involving the FBI and NCMEC and search warrants and heat seeking helicopters, drones, cadaver dogs and 60 personnel.

Is it going to be perfect? No. Of course not. In the early stages they aren't going to seal the home and treat it like a crime scene because 9.999999 times out of 10, the kid took off and is found.

I kind of think the parents have planted the idea that LE doesn't know what it is doing and has erroneously categorized this as a runaway so they're not taking it seriously.

That could be how they feel or it could be great way to try to shift eyes from them onto LE who for many reasons can't and aren't going to give us any information.

But everything I've seen points to a major operation and that LE took this super seriously.

What evidence do we have that dad is friends woruna sheriff? What evidence do we have that there is only one investigator on the case who is only a parole officer? (In smaller areas it makes sense that there would be multiple job descriptions for one official but that doesn't point to incompetence IMO).

I'm not trying to be a pain. Just want to keep things straight and try to separate opinion from fact a bit.

A formal complaint has been filed with intention to sue.

Do you know who filed it and what cause of action they're suing for?

We don't think you did a good enough job is not a cause of action. To sue a law enforcement agency you have to be able to break their governmental immunity and that's typically with what are called civil rights violations.

So I'm very curious about what you're stating! Super interesting and I would love to know more.

My working theory is that what SM said happened is true up until the early morning hours. I think SM was so fed up with Karlie by that point and she kicked her out of the house not allowing her to take her cell phone. Hence the conflicting stories of where the cell phone was left behind. Karlie takes off on foot still experiencing the effects of whatever she was on. At this point she’s also starting to experience dehydration. Melissa takes off to get her, perhaps out of guilt or she’s still enraged. But Karlie has gotten farther than anyone expected. SM spends time looking for her before alerting anyone of her being missing. SM finally alerts dad who is confused as all heck on what’s going on and once they realize SM could be in trouble they concoct a story as to free themselves of any wrongdoing. She got farther than expected and succumbed to the elements. Or perhaps they just didn’t find her. That happens a lot. One case I read the police searched an area 8 times and didn’t find the body that the suspect eventually led them to. Finding a body is not easy. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member