Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM & UBM
would like some clarity 5W's

What would you determine to be a "good fast speed" ? We've seen that road in a few videos, it does not look to be a road to drive very fast down in a vehicle like the crv IMO.

IF a person chooses to believe the video is real and unaltered in any way, the speed of the "headlights" can fairly accurately be determined since there is timestamps on the video.

Not much about this "video" makes any sense to me. It still leaves many open possibilities. MOO

From looking at other cameras, this one is the only one i've seen any blurriness and smudges
The speed IMO is very high it looks almost instant that its going down. IMO it does not look natural. What is the car speeding from the start it doesn't look right to me. At some point it had to slow down like if it is in fact turning. No it didn't turn it went straight through otherwise it would have slowed down when turning. I mean look at it there is no slowing down its all one speed. So IMO it didn't take a turn. If it did it wouldn't keep that speed.

The speed IMO is very high it looks almost instant that its going down. IMO it does not look natural. What is the car speeding from the start it doesn't look right to me. At some point it had to slow down like if it is in fact turning. No it didn't turn it went straight through otherwise it would have slowed down when turning. I mean look at it there is no slowing down its all one speed. So IMO it didn't take a turn. If it did it wouldn't keep that speed.
I think i understand what you mean. Example: the bumpiness/roughness of the road didn't appear to make the "headlights go up and down?

Those lights hit the water pretty fast it was a good fast speed. It was like instantaneous.
rsbm

Good point, @5W's. As @MsMarple posted up thread (1), GH "guestimated" the car was going 12-16 mph. And IMO, from just watching the video many times, I would tend to agree with his estimate of the car's speed (i.e. 10-15 mph).

However, IMO, a speed of 12-16 mph would be too fast to navigate a narrow, badly rutted, dirt road, in a 4WD CRV (vs. an off-road truck or ATV), in pitch dark, and possibly with weak headlamps, if KR's 2013 CRV still had OEM headlights (2).

IMO, 5mph would be more appropriate for that situation.

Further, wouldn't there have been front-end body damage (lower and/or upper bumper and/or grill) of KR's car if it hit water (like a wall) at 12-16 mph? Rather, the front end of KR's car was not visibly damaged upon recovery. (3)

So I tend to agree with you that something doesn't quite make sense.
1665421055250.png
(1) Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

(2) Headlights Problems of the 2013 Honda CR-V

(3) Family has 'nothing to share' as dive team says Kiely Rodni's body found in Prosser Creek Reservoir

rsbm

Good point, @5W's. As @MsMarple posted up thread (1), GH "guestimated" the car was going 12-16 mph. And IMO, from just watching the video many times, I would tend to agree with his estimate of the car's speed (i.e. 10-15 mph).

However, IMO, a speed of 12-16 mph would be too fast to navigate a narrow, badly rutted, dirt road, in a 4WD CRV (vs. an off-road truck or ATV), in pitch dark, and possibly with weak headlamps, if KR's 2013 CRV still had OEM headlights (2).

Further, wouldn't there have been front-end body damage (lower and/or upper bumper and/or grill) of KR's car if it hit water (like a wall) at 12-16 mph? Rather, the front end of KR's car was not visibly damaged upon recovery. (3)

View attachment 372281
(1) Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

(3) Family has 'nothing to share' as dive team says Kiely Rodni's body found in Prosser Creek Reservoir
BBM & UBM.
If any of you have seen video or pictures or even hit water yourselves with any speed you'd know how much damage can happen.
If a more modern vehicle hits water of any real depth (more than a few inches) at any higher speed; it tends to cause major damage and airbag deployment.

We don't see that on Kiely's car.

Given the damage that we saw from the recovery and knowing how far out into the lake it was MOO is that it couldn't have hit the water at much more than maybe 15-20 mph or so.

MOO Speculation from my own experiences and knowledge

BBM & UBM.
If any of you have seen video or pictures or even hit water yourselves with any speed you'd know how much damage can happen.
If a more modern vehicle hits water of any real depth (more than a few inches) at any higher speed; it tends to cause major damage and airbag deployment.

Given the damage that we saw from the recovery and knowing how far out into the lake it was MOO is that it couldn't have hit the water at much more than maybe 15-20 mph or so.

I wish I could link it here, but someone did drive the route from the party site to the shore where she went in both during the day and at night and filmed it with their dash cam. The road is dirt, gravel, and chunks of rock with dips and bumps along the way. There are some places you don’t want to go faster than 5 mph, others where you can drive 10-15 mph, maybe even up to 20. The shore area slopes down and the road is smoother there. At night it’s very dark with trees close on both sides, you wouldn’t see a car ahead of you unless you were right behind them, even with headlights. It looked like her car was going about the same speed as the other cars.

I’m not surprised Kiely’s car was found 55 ft from shore. Susan Smith put her car in neutral and let it roll down the ramp, it was later found 122 feet from shore. It doesn’t take much for a car to drift out.

Last edited:
I wish I could link it here, but someone did drive the route from the party site to the boat launch during the day and at night and filmed it with their dash cam. The road is dirt, gravel, and chunks of rock with dips and bumps along the way. There are some places you don’t want to go faster than 5 mph, others where you can drive 10-20 mph. The boat launch slopes down and the road is smoother there. At night it’s very dark with trees close on both sides, and you wouldn’t see a car ahead of you unless you were right behind them, even with headlights. It looked like her car was going about the same speed as the other cars.

I’m not surprised Kiely’s car was found 55 ft from shore. Susan Smith put her car in neutral and let it roll down the ramp, it was later found 122 feet from shore. It doesn’t take much for a car to drift out.
one problem with your post. Kiely's car didn't go down the boat ramp.

boat ramp in green circle, Kiely was found at red x

Attachments

• 46055BE1-FF9C-44AE-8F5F-2F05D4F73127.jpeg
    46055BE1-FF9C-44AE-8F5F-2F05D4F73127.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 13
BBM & UBM.

She did not “hit” water” at “any speed” that we know of. IMO speculating speed based on blurry videos without understanding facts about terrain and slope and knowing speed based in science are confusing, and is being widely done on YT.
She didn’t hit a wall of water. She rolled on the sloping beach into inches then more inches then a few feet and then was carried out submerged in 18.5-19 feet, gradually turtling, resting finally water. Those are laws of buoyancy and hydrodynamics. Cars begin to float in as little as 6 inches, causing loss of control, according to experts.
What is your own experience?

She did not “hit” water” at “any speed” that we know of. IMO speculating speed based on blurry videos without understanding facts about terrain and slope and knowing speed based in science are confusing, and is being widely done on YT.
She didn’t hit a wall of water. She rolled on the sloping beach into inches then more inches then a few feet and then was carried out submerged in 18.5-19 feet, gradually turtling, resting finally water. Those are laws of buoyancy and hydrodynamics. Cars begin to float in as little as 6 inches, causing loss of control, according to experts.
What is your own experience?
The point i was trying to make is that if the crv hot the water with any "real speed" the front end would have had much more damage.

As for my own experience: I have both seen a vehicle hit water at speed and have it's fromt end destroyed majorly (bumper "shredded" radiator ripped open etc) with airbag deployment and been in a vehicle that hit water at 40 mph, major front end damage and airbags deployed.
Neither vehicle tried to float at all in those situations. Both "impacts" were on a slight downgrade that formed a low spot in the roadway that water collected when heavy rails happened. Never saw anything quite like it, the power and strength of water is astounding.

The point i was trying to make is that if the crv hot the water with any "real speed" the front end would have had much more damage.

As for my own experience: I have both seen a vehicle hit water at speed and have it's fromt end destroyed majorly (bumper "shredded" radiator ripped open etc) with airbag deployment and been in a vehicle that hit water at 40 mph, major front end damage and airbags deployed.
Neither vehicle tried to float at all in those situations. Both "impacts" were on a slight downgrade that formed a low spot in the roadway that water collected when heavy rails happened. Never saw anything quite like it, the power and strength of water is astounding.

Based on the distances on the map and the time stamps, using the distance/time = speed formula, she was going about 12-14 mph, that’s a vast difference from 40 mph.

A 3500 lb CRV + driver going 13 mph has the kinetic energy of 19,700 ft-lbs. At 40 mph it’s 187,200 ft-lbs. (Kinetic energy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared.)

I have been a drunk teen leaving a party (not my proudest moments unfortunately) -but people keep thinking a car was blocking the road - maybe it was. It happens at giant parties for all sorts of reasons. Also, maybe it was parked on the side/middle/anywhere near the road. BUT If it was on a road I had originally planned to take I would make a hard turn somewhere else. I know people keep saying the cops stayed away, but that doesn't slow down paranoia in a young woman who did have stuff to lose over getting caught doing something wrong (whether it was underage drinking or worse). I always played sports and I was terrified I'd get caught drinking or with my one hitter on me, so it made me a super paranoid driver (I wasn't smart enough to just not party lol).

Based on the distances on the map and the time stamps, using the distance/time = speed formula, she was going about 12-14 mph, that’s a vast difference from 40 mph.

A 3500 lb CRV + driver going 13 mph has the kinetic energy of 19,700 ft-lbs. At 40 mph it’s 187,200 ft-lbs. (Kinetic energy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared.)
If the car turned it would have to go slower. The fact is it didn't slow down at all on its way down.Yet it didn't hit any cars before. No one had to avoid the car. There are no reports of a car narrowly missing other vehicles. It wan't a highway it was a narrow rugged path. And she didn't hit anyone as she was leaving the party. Its narrow high speed, for the distance travelling on the rugged road and she didn't hit anyone yet she managed to put herself in the water but not hit anyone on the narrow rugged path.

If the car turned it would have to go slower. The fact is it didn't slow down at all on its way down.Yet it didn't hit any cars before. No one had to avoid the car. There are no reports of a car narrowly missing other vehicles. It wan't a highway it was a narrow rugged path. And she didn't hit anyone as she was leaving the party. Its narrow high speed, for the distance travelling on the rugged road and she didn't hit anyone yet she managed to put herself in the water but not hit anyone on the narrow rugged path.
This combined with multiple people claiming Kiely was in no condition to drive.

Either she was very intoxicated or she wasn't. IF she was so intoxicated how did she not crash before getting out of the tree line or driving into a ditch?
IF she was only slightly intoxicated i'd imagine she would try to escape the crv.
We do not know her tolerance for alcohol though or if someone could have slipped her something

IF she wasn't drunk and knew the area as well as others have stated, then why did she end up in the water and not get out?

MOO
Speculation

rsbm

View attachment 372281

If she thought she knew where she was going, I could see the bit higher speed. Or even intoxicated, in hurry because she was late, or just trying to beat the rush -maybe just thinking it would be a quick turn around. I do think it was an accident though.

Totally agree on weak headlamps OR a dirty windshield. I smoked in my car and there were times I could barely make out things at sundown when the glare hit the windshileld.

I know I sound like a broken record, but people really underestimate the ability to drive drunk (not just buzzed, but hammered) especially when you have a mission to do so (in her case getting home, because she told her mom she would).

I'm going to tell a more shaming story, instead of just saying 'i've done it' - My boyfriend lived 40 minutes away, I wasn't allowed to stay there but I could always talk my mom into another hour or two and I would always stay in touch with her. Anyway, we were all getting hammered somewhere on most weekends and I would ALWAYS drive home because I thought at the time it was the smart idea. I honestly thought it was the responsible thing to do (I was in high school - high honor roll/sports/clubs and a goal of going to a top college). There were many times I was "fine" and about 20 minutes into my 40 minute drive I was more tired and drunk than I thought. I woke up driving through a ditch, going at least 45 mph, more than once - I was VERY lucky to not hit a culvert (drain ditch with a pipe) or roll my car by jerking it car back. I considered myself skilled and smart, so I kept doing it. I was lucky to not die on multiple occasions.

I also left parties in a different direction because of sketchy people. I always had a good read on people and could tell when they were being nefarious. I didn't want to be a rape statistic, so I'd put myself in harms way to get out of harms way essentially. Late night hours change some people, especially people who have been getting messed up on who knows what.

It's really hard to say what happpened, but I do think Kiely drove her own car, by herself, into that water.

Thank you for calculating! What and how was the distance calculated?

Reactions: IDK
I know I sound like a broken record, but people really underestimate the ability to drive drunk (not just buzzed, but hammered) especially when you have a mission to do so (in her case getting home, because she told her mom she would).

I'm going to tell a more shaming story, instead of just saying 'i've done it' - My boyfriend lived 40 minutes away, I wasn't allowed to stay there but I could always talk my mom into another hour or two and I would always stay in touch with her. Anyway, we were all getting hammered somewhere on most weekends and I would ALWAYS drive home because I thought at the time it was the smart idea. I honestly thought it was the responsible thing to do (I was in high school - high honor roll/sports/clubs and a goal of going to a top college). There were many times I was "fine" and about 20 minutes into my 40 minute drive I was more tired and drunk than I thought. I woke up driving through a ditch, going at least 45 mph, more than once - I was VERY lucky to not hit a culvert (drain ditch with a pipe) or roll my car by jerking it car back. I considered myself skilled and smart, so I kept doing it. I was lucky to not die on multiple occasions.

I also left parties in a different direction because of sketchy people. I always had a good read on people and could tell when they were being nefarious. I didn't want to be a rape statistic, so I'd put myself in harms way to get out of harms way essentially. Late night hours change some people, especially people who have been getting messed up on who knows what.

It's really hard to say what happpened, but I do think Kiely drove her own car, by herself, into that water.
This. I’ve seen it many times, obviously impaired people driving okay most of the way, then making one mistake late in the drive. If fatigue was a factor, it can come on suddenly. I don’t think it was dirty headlights, it’s REALLY dark out there and the trees are close and the whole drive looks the same all the way up to the beach, if you’re tired/buzzed, it’s easy to think you’re somewhere you’re not and take a wrong turn.

I wish I could link that day/night route video, it makes it clear it’s easy to not be able to see well at night and get lost.

@Curiosa20
”Thank you for calculating! What and how was the distance calculated?”

Gray Hughes did it on his map starting at 1:22:30.

Last edited:
BBM

I think this happens quite a bit and not just in Kiely's case. Many people just want a conclusion they can accept and don't really want to wait or even look for answers.

MOO

A good investigator looks at ALL possibilities no matter how remote the chance of happening until evidence is found and can be backed up that points to one thing over another or at least rules something out.
I doubt that's possible its going to happen here, however. In this sentence I am not talking about LE but the community in general they won't want to accept the possibility of something nefarious happening beforehand. So as I said its brushed under the rug. So in reality everything I have said thus far holds true, simply for this reason.

This. I’ve seen it many times, obviously impaired people driving okay most of the way, then making one mistake late in the drive. If fatigue was a factor, it can come on suddenly. I don’t think it was dirty headlights, it’s REALLY dark out there and the trees are close and the whole drive looks the same all the way up to the beach, if you’re tired/buzzed, it’s easy to think you’re somewhere you’re not and take a wrong turn.

I wish I could link that day/night route video, it makes it clear it’s easy to not be able to see well at night and get lost.

@Curiosa20
”Thank you for calculating! What and how was the distance calculated?”

Gray Hughes did it on his map starting at 1:22:30.
If that's the rationale then why didn't she hit anyone else on the road nor crash into anyone and consider her speed also it was going very fast and she didn't hit anyone. I don't believe it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back