Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in rural, dark areas (before cell phones lol) and you just know the roads if you've driven them enough. I knew every curve like the back of my hand. Can't think of the phrase now but it's like your body/car goes into auto pilot around home so it's second nature.
Something I'm always trying to instill in my young drivers is watching out for wildlife as well because they can come out of nowhere.
Kind of like how people talk about driving to like work and arriving and not even realizing how you got there.

To me, the key to this story is KR's vehicle. The fact that the car is missing narrows the set of reasonable explanations for her disappearance. (Yes, certainly, there is no evidence so anything COULD have happened and it could have been aliens or trafficking or 1000 other things, but I choose to focus on REASONABLE.)

There is a lot of speculation of the things that, again, COULD have been done with KR's car. IMO many of those possibilities reflect either 1) pre-meditation/planning, 2) very good luck. If she was taken advantage of because of her drunkenness, kidnapped, disposed of due to an OD, then there is no reason for her car to be missing. If her car was ditched randomly, say, in a parking lot, then I find it unlikely that it would remain undiscovered more than a week later, especially with all the attention that the case is getting.

I'm not drawing a conclusion, exactly, just arguing that the missing car weighs notable for and against different scenarios.

IMO
<sbm> If her car was ditched randomly, say, in a parking lot, then I find it unlikely that it would remain undiscovered more than a week later, especially with all the attention that the case is getting.

I just followed the case here of a young woman in San Antonio, who disappeared, supposedly on her way to work one morning. She never got to work, and LE was notified almost immediately, and began investigating. Her case received media attention also. She was found 18 days later, deceased inside her car, parked in a large shopping center, on the main route from her home to her workplace, about 10 minutes from her home.

One thinks it only seems logical that when a BOLO is put out on a vehicle, it will be found in a reasonable amount of time, if it is not garaged or submerged in water somewhere, but that just does not always happen. The case I just cited is but one of many. and happen far more often than one might think. JMO

Last edited:
Morning Sleuths-
I can’t find a direct quote or interview with Elsa Pekarek stating she saw Kiely at the campground at 12 AM. She is noted in several media Timelines as seeing her then but where did she make that statement? Was that declaration made on her behalf by a Mom or other friend?
Anybody have a link? Thanks!

With the new info coming out, I am now leaning toward my second most likely theory, which is that something happened with the kids and they covered it up.

It's alarming that the witness who supposedly was with her most of the evening did not mention this white and pink hoodie. Now of course we don't know how long she was wearing it. but many community members are pointing out there seem to be a lot of holes and inconsistencies in the story.

Have police officially confirmed the eyewitness account from nearby campsite that a bunch of cars left at 12:30 am, almost exactly at the time of the "last call" and the "last ping"?
Eyewitness testimony is notoriously bad but this has been bothering me a little as well- first she has a black hoodie, now a bright white hoodie... hundreds of people there and nobody has come forward to say they saw her leave.... mass-exodus right at the same time her last phone ping... Surely the person whose hoodie it was would have come forward right away to say, hey, I gave her my hoodies to wear...

There is a little bit of weirdness here, not so much that changes my primary theory, which is a car accident.

I just followed the case here of a young woman in San Antonio, who disappeared, supposedly on her way to work one morning. She never got to work, and LE was notified within a very few hours, and began investigating. Her case received media attention also. She was found 18 days later, deceased inside her car, parked in a large shopping center, on the main route from her home to her workplace, about 10 minutes from her home.

One thinks it only seems logical that when a BOLO is put out on a vehicle, it will be found in a reasonable short amount of time, if it is not garaged or submerged in water somewhere, but that just does not always happen. The case I just cited is but one of many. and happen far more often than one might think. JMO
Or the fugitives whose car was found in a tow lot a week after every law enforcement agency in the country was alerted....

City living here and I don't like to drive many lit roads at night. lol

But I am guessing her and her parents must have felt confident in her abilities because they allowed it. It also seems to be a common occurrence. It would also explain them allowing her to go into Reno with her bf. That highway is nothing compared to the dirt roads she seemed to frequent.
When that age, I knew most backgrounds in the county where traffic could be avoided. With gps today there isn't much concern of being lost on a them, just map out a new path.

That's why I bought these for my kids. It has a glass breaker and a seat belt cutter. Pray they never need it, but I feel better with them having it! We live in FL and there is water everywhere!

Every vehicle should have one of those, but if you do not, and ever find yourself in water, and have nothing else, if you pull the headrest off of the driver's seat or passenger seat, the metal on those might be able to break automobile glass as well. JMO

ETA...I had originally stated that they are designed to do that, but they are not. They may work, however.

Last edited:
so not the lana del rey one?
I wonder if she was wearing both? Wouldn't be that unusual for a teen? She was on camera in just the tank top at the business, but the dark sweatshirt matches her outfit better than the pink lettered one. Say she eturned or lost the "lana el rey", and then out came the pink and white one--i.e. from her car, from a friend.

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously bad but this has been bothering me a little as well- first she has a black hoodie, now a bright white hoodie... hundreds of people there and nobody has come forward to say they saw her leave.... mass-exodus right at the same time her last phone ping... Surely the person whose hoodie it was would have come forward right away to say, hey, I gave her my hoodies to wear...

There is a little bit of weirdness here, not so much that changes my primary theory, which is a car accident.
IMO there is too much concern over the hoodie colors. I believe both the jewelry and hoodies have been id'd by LE to enable people to remember seeing her and identify her in photos.

I believe women of all ages collect hoodies (not as padded for the cold as me). I buy one every couple months - my wife has claimed four this year. I remember my kids always needing new hoodies because a friend was cold at a party. I expect that there were a couple in the car she didn't want to wear as well.

With the new info coming out, I am now leaning toward my second most likely theory, which is that something happened with the kids and they covered it up.

It's alarming that the witness who supposedly was with her most of the evening did not mention this white and pink hoodie. Now of course we don't know how long she was wearing it. but many community members are pointing out there seem to be a lot of holes and inconsistencies in the story.

Have police officially confirmed the eyewitness account from nearby campsite that a bunch of cars left at 12:30 am, almost exactly at the time of the "last call" and the "last ping"?
LE said specifically there was video of her wearing the white & pink hoodie “earlier in the evening” when they first posted the picture of it on Twitter. Then they followed up by stating that they think the fact that she was wearing it may help determine where she went AFTER the party which makes it sound like they think she was wearing towards the end too. Sure sounds like she was wearing it all night, which is interesting.

Twitter statement at 10:45 am today- PCSO.
They have debunked another of SS interview statements
“There definitely was not hundreds of videos/photos. We have been transparent with the public form the beginning, and we need the public to trust us to do our job — but we still need the community’s help in gathering that information.”

This case highlights many issues, including the dangers of texting. My kids had to use a code word in their texts to me when they were in group situations or I would know it wasn’t them. If only she had called her Mom instead, Mom might have been able to determine she wasn’t ok to drive, and a backup plan established. That text could have come from anyone
I think that code word is an excellent idea and I plan to use it with my high schooler.

Twitter statement at 10:45 am today- PCSO.
They have debunked another of SS interview statements
“There definitely was not hundreds of videos/photos. We have been transparent with the public form the beginning, and we need the public to trust us to do our job — but we still need the community’s help in gathering that information.”
Interesting

LE said specifically that she was seen wearing the white & pink hoodie “earlier in the evening” when they first posted the picture of it on Twitter. Then they followed up by stating that they think the fact that she was wearing it may help determine where she went AFTER the party which makes it sound like they think she was wearing towards the end too. Sure sounds like she was wearing it all night, which is interesting.
What is particularly interesting to me is that neither of her close friends, who rode out with her and especially SS who made a pointed claim that they were side by side tromping around together for 2 hours, neither have ever verified or stated that she wore a hoody.
It does get to a point IMO where this saga goes beyond being afraid of sharing info and begins sounding like a confabulated cover up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member