Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes as my neighbor said, kids have been partying in that location for decades. Yet AFAIK this is the first tragedy like this. Kids here grow up in the outdoors. She was going camping the next day. She's familiar with the area. The beach looks totally unlike the dirt roads to take home. The water was not so much higher that there wasn't a substantial beach AFAIK.

I still am concerned that she might not have put herself in the water. From the beginning, I said if she's in the water she might not have put herself there. It's a common way to dispose of evidence.

- LE has not released a cause of death
- LE has not declared the case closed. It is an active investigation.
- LE has not ruled out foul play
- LE has not declared this a simple tragic accident

I do wonder if Kiely's cell phone will play a role in the case. Given what we know, they may have not found it / confirmed it is in fact her phone. With this I have a few questions:

If it was in the car with her, can LE extract any of the data? I do not have high hopes that the phone is operational after being underwater so long.

If it was in the water and not in the car, how did it end up there? Did Kiely accidentally drop it? Was it thrown in?

If it wasn't in the car or in the water, where is it? Kiely dropping it is definitely an option here as well, although I feel like LE would have found it by now. I doubt someone has it as it would definitely ping (unless it is out of battery).

Is the phone a crucial supply of information at all? I feel only LE would know this.

All MOO.

I do wonder if Kiely's cell phone will play a role in the case. Given what we know, they may have not found it / confirmed it is in fact her phone. With this I have a few questions:

If it was in the car with her, can LE extract any of the data? I do not have high hopes that the phone is operational after being underwater so long.

If it was in the water and not in the car, how did it end up there? Did Kiely accidentally drop it? Was it thrown in?

If it wasn't in the car or in the water, where is it? Kiely dropping it is definitely an option here as well, although I feel like LE would have found it by now. I doubt someone has it as it would definitely ping (unless it is out of battery).

Is the phone a crucial supply of information at all? I feel only LE would know this.

All MOO.
We've had people on local social media find phones in the lakes here that still turn on after being lost and submerged.

Does the age of the person who furnished alcohol to a minor in a fatal accident matter in your opinion? Meaning would a 19 year old vs. a 22 year old (legal drinking age in CA is 21) face different charges in such a situation in CA?
If the person who furnished the alcohol is under 21 could it go back to the person who sold the person the alcohol? In md liability can lead back to a bartender if someone wrecks etc leaving a bar

Yes as my neighbor said, kids have been partying in that location for decades. Yet AFAIK this is the first tragedy like this. Kids here grow up in the outdoors. She was going camping the next day. She's familiar with the area. The beach looks totally unlike the dirt roads to take home. The water was not so much higher that there wasn't a substantial beach AFAIK.

I still am concerned that she might not have put herself in the water. From the beginning, I said if she's in the water she might not have put herself there. It's a common way to dispose of evidence.

I'm with you. It's possible this was just a tragic accident, but I am still doubting that.

It seems that it would be highly impractical to park near the water and then go to the party, because that would require a long hike through sticker bushes, etc. It's also unlikely IMO that she could have simply taken a wrong turn and suddenly ended up in the reservoir. It would require a lengthy drive on road(s) with massive potholes (those "roads" are supposedly ATV trails). In that case, there would be plenty of time to slow down and/or stop before hitting the open patch near where her vehicle was found.

While you may be correct. Do you have stats. for that?

I only ask because I was watching AWP today, and they were saying of all the cars they've found, none have involved foul play.
Want to help research? this article says 27% of rural homicide victims in a Finland study dumped in water. Body Disposal in Homicide

I'm not sure that website is allowed so maybe you can help find MSM sources?

Want to help research? this article says 27% of rural homicide victims in a Finland study dumped in water. Body Disposal in Homicide

I'm not sure that website is allowed so maybe you can help find MSM sources?
Ahhh so you're talking about bodies being disposed in water.

I was more curious about stats. on bodies being disposed along with their car.

Maybe, but it would not be "common" at all. I can recall very few cases where someone disposed of an entire car and a victim in a lake. Susan Smith comes to mind, but she wasn't disposing of evidence; she was committing outright murder.

This remains a missing person case. That person has now been located. IF law enforcement changes the nature of the investigation to homicide then obviously they must begin investigating any persons engaged in malfeasance. We're not there yet, in my opinion. MOO

Would you like to help research? My understanding is AWP's small case group is too small and also too selective to provide any statistical information. Someone earlier had said they usually wouldn't work on a case suspected of foul play but I might have that wrong. It was unusual for them to work on a case like this one though with an active LE investigation from what I understand.

If you committed a crime and you have both a car and a body that can be easily rolled into a murky lake where evidence will quickly be compromised and they might never be found, it's not a stretch to put it there.

Im.hoping this post is allowed, but I've read several reports about the autopsy confirming the identity of keiley rodni, however they are not stating a cause of death...in a drowning isn't presence of water in the lungs enough to state drowning as the cause of death? I don't understand why that wouldn't be easy to check for and I figured that would be one of the first things they looked at given the circumstances..if there was water found in the lungs why wouldn't drowning be reported to the public ... even to end all the speculation of foul play and help give the family some peace...by this point I feel they know if she drown or not...maybe not what led to her drowning but at least if she was alive when she went in the water.... is it common for them to wait to give a cause of death if it is clearly an accident?

Im.hoping this post is allowed, but I've read several reports about the autopsy confirming the identity of keiley rodni, however they are not stating a cause of death...in a drowning isn't presence of water in the lungs enough to state drowning as the cause of death? I don't understand why that wouldn't be easy to check for and I figured that would be one of the first things they looked at given the circumstances..if there was water found in the lungs why wouldn't drowning be reported to the public ... even to end all the speculation of foul play and help give the family some peace...by this point I feel they know if she drown or not...maybe not what led to her drowning but at least if she was alive when she went in the water.... is it common for them to wait to give a cause of death if it is clearly an accident?
It may be several weeks before the autopsy is complete. Especially when the remains (bless your heart, Kiely) are two weeks decomposed. IMO

The only case that I have knowledge of where there was a missing person and their submerged car was found the body wasn't found in the car but later on in the same river. The CHP's MAIT team was able to determine it wasn't an accident. It was a murder. Everyone thought it was an accident at first. JMO.

What I saw is the autopsy was completed. The cause of death has not been released, if it is known. They did not say it could not be determined. Toxicology reports will take longer. It is an ongoing investigation.

- LE has not declared this a simple tragic accident.
When you post it’s a common way to dispose of evidence what comes to mind for me is throwing a gun or knife in a canal or river. Not a whole body and a car. I honestly can’t think of a case like that on here except, of course, Susan Smith. Are there others?

Yes, but aren't they normally involved in cases that involve federal crimes (such as crossing state lines) or at least cases that appear to have foul play?

That was my impression, that it would be atypical for them to continue working on a case that appeared open and shut, with no foul play.

I'm glad FBI is processing the car, I just wonder whether they would continue their involvement if they felt it was a real longshot that their was foul play involved.
I’m sure this has been answered by now, but just in case it hasn’t been said — the FBI assists local LE with investigations whenever they are asked. This is NOT a rare occurrence. The FBI is FREQUENTLY asked to assist due to the wide arrangement of forensic experts, technology, and tools they have at their disposal. It’s a common misconception that the FBI will only investigate a specific type of crime (federal, crosses state lines, terrorism, child abduction, etc.), but that simply isn’t true. I could probably name you 20 different cases that involved the FBI right off the top of my head.

Sometimes LE won't release the autopsy results until all reports are in. Maybe we'll hear more once the toxicology is complete.

Kiely's cause and manner of death were not released, and the investigation into her death is still ongoing, according to the statement.

The California Highway Patrol is now conducting a traffic fatality investigation.

Results from toxicology reports are expected in a few weeks. Officials said their investigation is continuing.

The only case that I have knowledge of where there was a missing person and their submerged car was found the body wasn't found in the car but later on in the same river. The CHP's MAIT team was able to determine it wasn't an accident. It was a murder. Everyone thought it was an accident at first. JMO.
Thank you. I thought maybe I was unaware of this being a common occurrence

What I saw is the autopsy was completed. The cause of death has not been released, if it is known. They did not say it could not be determined. Toxicology reports will take longer. It is an ongoing investigation.

I'm not sure that the autopsy is complete, the article does not say such. Kiely's identity has been determined.

I expect there is more investigation to be done. Even if it is determined that she drowned (which may require more time than we know, given her length of time in the water), to be thorough they may look into possibilities that could have LED to the accident...head trauma, stroke, aneurysm, a multitude of conditions.

I don't think an autopsy is concluded in one day....unless the death is due to a very obvious cause, like a gunshot for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54