Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much @RedHaus- will you ask? I don’t mean to be a broken record. :)
I’m pretty sure that’s a meme. I’ve listened to all their video reports and published comments. They’ so closely guarded with details. It seems unlikely to me that he said that.
BBM
Done @Curiosa20.

Here is the email I just sent to the online editor of the NY POST:

In the NY POST online article by Jack Morphet and Ben Kesslen, dated 8/22/2022 at 2:18pm (link below), there is a statement (bolded below) not yet substantiated in any other main stream media outlet or by law enforcement. It also does not appear in any of the public statements by Adventures With Purpose (AWP) who found Ms. Rodni’s vehicle and presumably her inside of it. I wonder if you could please ask the authors to substantiate their source for this bolded statement because as it stands, it is appears unsubstantiated.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work.

My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

So I am left with wondering if the source of that information is the photographer credited in the article with the image of Ms. Rodni’s car being pulled out of the Prosser Reservoir, Mr. McKnight, who I have copied on this email message.

In that image, the driver’s window is clearly broken. However the way the article was written it sounds like the window was broken when Mr. Rinn discovered the car. When in fact, the window could have been broken during extrication.

But more importantly, stating there was a body in the backseat, inferring the location of Ms. Rodni in her car, appears recklessly unsubstantiated as it was written. If it can be substantiated, I would appreciate the authors adding that citation.

Please advise. Thank you.

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir

Rather than to look at a picture of about half of a partially-covered vehicle, and try to draw conclusions based on things too obscure and murky to be seen at all, without photo manipulation or blowing the photo up 300%, and not even clearly then, I will wait for the results of the CHP MAIT team, who will actually have the car in their possession, and will conduct a very thorough investigation into all aspects of the accident that left a young lady tragically dead, pre-collision, at-collision, and post-collision. I do not need to see remains in the vehicle to know that they were there. JMO

Last edited:
Does anyone know the answer to question another poster asked - was it 14 feet of water above the vehicle and then another 5 for the vehicle? plus another 4-5 when she went in? The water temps at 20-25 feet may be quite cooler and possibly the evidence won't be as compromised as feared.

I’ve covered nearly a hundred missing persons cases and followed countless more, but I’ve rarely seen an online furor as heartless as the one surrounding Kiely. Within a few days, the internet speculation and conjecture became its own content machine. Some YouTube channels pumped out multiple videos a day, spending hours speculating wildly about the case. One channel even livestreamed an interview with one of Kiely’s friends, a minor who should be protected from, not subjected to, the scrutiny of strangers.

Searching Kiely’s name on YouTube yields a horrifying array of clickbait thumbnails and titles, like “KIELY RODNI THINGS ARE NOT ADDING UP!” and “How is this not a red flag?” They weave elaborate conspiracy theories, many centering on the actions of some of Kiely’s friends the night she went missing, accusing them of lying, leaving out important information or otherwise conspiring about Kiely's disappearance.
These "theories" do not bear repeating, because they have no basis in reality. But the names of multiple minors are now all over the internet, in YouTube comments and Twitter, Instagram and TikTok replies, linking them to the tragedy that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. The guilt they no doubt feel for losing track of their friend at a party — and who among us hasn’t experienced that at least once in their adolescence? — is now compounded by an internet paper trail of people accusing them of intentionally harming Kiely.

(more at link)
Thank you for posting this. I was going to do the same. This family and these teens will have to live not only with their grief and loss, but also with the echoes of slander, doubt and suspicion cast on them that came from god-knows-where for god-knows-what reason.

Does anyone know the answer to question another poster asked - was it 14 feet of water above the vehicle and then another 5 for the vehicle? plus another 4-5 when she went in? The water temps at 20-25 feet may be quite cooler and possibly the evidence won't be as compromised as feared.
It was reportedly found in 14 feet of water. If there had been 14 feet of water above it, it would have been reported as being in 19 feet of water . I am not a scientist, so will defer to someone with more knowledge to guess at water level there when the vehicle first went in.

One thing I noticed about the CRV, which is not graphic in nature, but I have debated sharing...

The driver's side seat seems to be all extended/reclined the way back, from the headrest position in the NY Post recovery image.

I'm several inches taller than Kiely, so I looked at this after the other...

IF she lost control of her vehicle, this could have factored in? I remember when I was a teen, some kids thought this was a "cool" way to drive, but we didn't really have SUVs back then. i.e. people would adjust the seat to almost be sitting in the backseat, regardless of how tall they were.

I'm not trying to promote any conspiracy. At 5 ft 7, she was tall enough that most people could probably have driven her car to move it if they needed to without adjusting the seat, but....I noticed this detail as much as the back seat stuff.

There is also this image of her Honda previously. We have no way of knowing if she owned it then, of course. But the driver's seat is not as far back.

Again, I'm thinking more of her ability to control her car here--i.e. tipping over, that sort of thing.

View attachment 361302 Missing Kiely Rodni: Investigators find new video of vanished teen on night of party, reward increases to $75K
Or @Beekarina, as I opined I think late in T5, KR might have pulled over on that dirt road to sober up enough to drive home. If she did that, perhaps she reclined her seat to sleep (or pass out). Perhaps she had the car in neutral instead of park so the car crept down towards the water, gathering unhindered momentum. All of this is of course my speculation and based on your reported observations that in the NY POST image of KR's car, the driver's seat appears to be reclined.

BBM
Done @Curiosa20.

Here is the email I just sent to the online editor of the NY POST:

In the NY POST online article by Jack Morphet and Ben Kesslen, dated 8/22/2022 at 2:18pm (link below), there is a statement (bolded below) not yet substantiated in any other main stream media outlet or by law enforcement. It also does not appear in any of the public statements by Adventures With Purpose (AWP) who found Ms. Rodni’s vehicle and presumably her inside of it. I wonder if you could please ask the authors to substantiate their source for this bolded statement because as it stands, it is appears unsubstantiated.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work.

My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

So I am left with wondering if the source of that information is the photographer credited in the article with the image of Ms. Rodni’s car being pulled out of the Prosser Reservoir, Mr. McKnight, who I have copied on this email message.

In that image, the driver’s window is clearly broken. However the way the article was written it sounds like the window was broken when Mr. Rinn discovered the car. When in fact, the window could have been broken during extrication.

But more importantly, stating there was a body in the backseat, inferring the location of Ms. Rodni in her car, appears recklessly unsubstantiated as it was written. If it can be substantiated, I would appreciate the authors adding that citation.

Please advise. Thank you.

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir
Stupendous comunique, @RedHaus!!
Could you also write a few briefs for my clients hearings? lol
I am very grateful for your time. I’m sick of weasel word reporting and online editing when sites are presented with a threat of libel or do not honor off the record comments by sliding in unsubstantiated statements.
Thank you so much!

Or @Beekarina, as I opined I think late in T5, KR might have pulled over on that dirt road to sober up enough to drive home. If she did that, perhaps she reclined her seat to sleep (or pass out). Perhaps she had the car in neutral instead of park so the car crept down towards the water, gathering unhindered momentum. All of this is of course my speculation and based on your reported observations that in the NY POST image of KR's car, the driver's seat appears to be reclined.
Right!

I have this strong feeling about her hanging around at/near the water. I probably should not keep saying it, since it is simply a vibe. The setting is so beautiful, and it looks like the perfect place to go make a phone call, get a little air/sober up, maybe, get your bearings, and as you said, even get a little rest if she was feeling not quite right.

I know many posters are bothered by continued discussion, but I still maintain her curfew extension timeline does not strike me as seriously impaired. She may turn out NOT to have been, maybe this really is a new driver error or something unknown? I've really wondered all along if she was slipped something. There doesn't have to be any sinister intent there, like attempted rape or trafficking or ____ even though it is obviously rotten to spike a drink. Maybe someone thought they were adding some fun to the party? Stupid things happen.

I think she was at a party and was impaired as were most others at the party. Her impairment may have been slight (based on her request for a curfew extension) or maybe not. We probably will never know.

She then left for home and made a wrong turn. She unknowingly headed in the darkness toward the water and possibly because of the darkness or becoming distracted (fooling around with the radio or something?) did not stop the car from driving/sliding into the reservoir.

Extremely sad but IMO that is probably what happened. We'll have to wait to see what the officials who have much more expertise and information conclude.

Rather than to look at a picture of about half of a partially-covered vehicle, and try to draw conclusions based on things too obscure and murky to be seen at all, without photo manipulation or blowing the photo up 300%, and not even clearly then, I will wait for the results of the CHP MAIT team, who will actually have the car in their possession, and will conduct a very thorough investigation into all aspects of the accident that left a young lady tragically dead, pre-collision, at-collision, and post-collision. I do not need to see remains in the vehicle to know that they were there. JMO
I agree, although do want to add that anyone concerned about viewing that picture shouldn’t be, IMO. As others have said better than me, there are absolutely no remains visible. What is visible in the rear left window, very clearly to me, is a silver metal headrest post connecting to a dark headrest directly above it. Nothing else.

AVP has made several statements that they use sophisticated sonar equipment to conduct waterway searches.

How does sonar detect depth?

The depth of the ocean [lake, resorvoir] can be measured using a device called SONAR (Sound Navigation And Ranging).

Sonar works by sending out sound waves and measuring how long it takes for the echo to return. If the water is shallow, sound waves that reflect off the bottom of the ocean will return faster than in deep sea.

I trust AWP was measuring from the bottom of Prosser Lake floor and not from the top surface of the submerged vehicle. MOO

Please see AWP sonar photo post in the prior thread.

I think it's interesting that they said the FBI was processing the vehicle. It made sense for the FBI to be involved when there was a possibility of abduction, etc. Now that the vehicle has been found in the same general area as the party, if the FBI thought this was a simple vehicular accident, do you think they would spend time/manpower processing this vehicle?
I think once they’re called in based on the possibility of a federal crime having been committed (in this case, it would have been the possibility of a kidnapping of a minor), the FBI will continue to work to determine whether a federal crime has been committed, and if it turns out that one has, who is responsible.
I’m pretty sure the local LE are grateful for the assistance processing the car and remains—it’s a lot of pressure to be under.

I agree, although do want to add that anyone concerned about viewing that picture shouldn’t be, IMO. As others have said better than me, there are absolutely no remains visible. What is visible in the rear left window, very clearly to me, is a silver metal headrest post connecting to a dark headrest directly above it. Nothing else.
If it is only the headrest, then as another poster pointed out, it's much farther back than would be expected for her to drive. It is indeed a very grainy photo when zoomed in so my perception could be incorrect.

This is still an active investigation, and they revealed nothing from the autopsy except the identification. I would imagine LE wants to find out as much they can about what happened. If that really is the headrest and it's that far back, that could be a suspicious circumstance. (relative to the earlier picture of the car from when she was alive)

It also then goes back to the question we asked before why they seemed so intent on covering up the trunk space of the car rather than the back seat that was left visible for a while.

I'm glad someone wrote to NY Post and I hope they provide some explanation/source for that sentence in their article.

<modsnip> Foul play has not been ruled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is only the headrest, then as another poster pointed out, it's much farther back than would be expected for her to drive. It is indeed a very grainy photo when zoomed in so my perception could be incorrect.

This is still an active investigation, thus revealing nothing from the autopsy except the identification. I would imagine LE wants to find out as much they can about what happened. If that really is the headrest and it's that far back, that is a suspicious circumstance. (relative to the earlier picture of the car from when she was alive)

I'm glad someone wrote to NY Post and I hope they provide some explanation/source for that sentence in their article.
MOO, but I’m 5’8” - so only one inch taller, and I drive a similar car. I just went outside and looked at my car from the same angle and my headrest is in the exact same spot as the NYPost photo. Leaving room for body proportion differences, I don’t find the seat placement as strange. Again, MOO.

I trust seeing the entire, actual photo with not less than 7 individuals (not in uniform) surrounding the vehicle will assist viewers to form their own opinion on whether or not it is probable that LE rescuers decided to leave the window with the alleged body image open and uncovered while taking care to cover the rear window area of the vehicle. JMO.
@Seattle1

In my opinion, this is a very solemn and sensible post.

All we have at the moment is conjecture, because we are not privy to all the information that is known, or the information that will be discovered through an investigation.

I believe your implication is well-founded. It strikes me as highly implausible that the professional sensitivity and judiciousness shown by the efforts to shield Kiely would be undone in such a careless manner.

Although I choose not to examine that picture thoroughly, IMO it is anything but her hand. Maybe it's the headrest, maybe it's a reflection of something outside of our field of view, maybe it's a shard of glass, maybe something else.

To be gruesome, I don't know much about forensics but I doubt after two weeks in the water, Kiely would still be able to grip something at all. I don't know how two weeks in the water affects rigor mortis but I know what I believe happens.

It's just too upsetting, so I'm going to relieve myself of this part of the discussion, but I did want to thank you for the wide range picture and the context you've provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds