Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe authorities said the waterline was considerably higher at the time of the incident (and therefore there would have been a slightly steeper drop off, up a bit closer to the tree line), but I am not positive.

But in theory, and as far as I understand it, her car would indeed have traveled from the campground, somehow across the beach pictured, and into the water.
I found a chart for Posser Reservoir surface elevation, capacity and measured rain Aug 5-21.
Elevation appears to have declined by 4 feet. It only rained .20 inches between the 5th-6th, really negligible on hard pack sand.
I’m wondering if floating is taken into consideration, could the accident have occurred up by the real boat ramp and that’s why they checked basically downstream where the current would have carried the vehicle?

One theory I have not seen mentioned much since her discovery, is the possibility Kiely was drugged while at the party. It did not seem highly likely, until the reports of older men being present, as well as 'drugs we don't usually have at our parties' I believe was the quote. This along with several of the statements about Kiely's intoxication level made me wonder. It was a very short period of time to become so inebriated so fast. It is definitely possible she started before arriving to the party. Many of the drugs that can be easily slipped in a drink (often referred to as date rape drugs) can have a delayed onset and a dramatic, sudden effect. In the rare change this is the case, that would mean this would be a criminal investigation and it would be investigated as a homicide. JMO

Are you referring to the photo with the slightly shining thing you think is a hand showing her ring, or is there some other photo?

Because the NY Post really wants to sell clicks and they can do that and be *almost* correct and get away with it if they say she was in the back seat, whether she’s in the back seat or the cargo area or wherever.

The NY Post also said that Nick Rinn said the window was broken and there was a body in the back seat, but they were careful not to use quotes, which i find suspect. Nick Rinn is *extremely* careful to use the word “remains” when speaking, and nowhere did I read elsewhere or see/hear him share those details). Those are easily details a “journalist” could have simply manufactured by looking at that picture.

If that one pic is the only pic they have, that does not convince me that it’s a photo of her hand. It also makes me more convinced than ever that we need to wait for official exam results/better news sources because it feels like the NY Post is really reaching here.

Edited by me 1 min after posting for clarity
I think this is a valuable case study in perception and how difficult it is to reconstruct things with witnesses, sometimes even when the evidence is still available. It happens I recently got a new computer that has a big and high quality screen. On my old computer, I doubt that it would be possible to see what I'm seeing.

Everyone is free to look at the available evidence and draw their own conclusions. I do think it's relevant because it means she wasn't under the trunk flap, makes it more likely she tried to get out the partly open window in the back seat, etc. It's also perfectly okay for people to say, I don't want to see that in which case the photo is sufficiently vague as to leave them that option. I would never have noticed myself except for a previous poster's comment.

Her mom had replied "Wake me up when you get home" though. (paraphrasing)

It is possible Kiely took a short cut, but given what we do know, rushing to get home doesn't really fit, IMO.

Falling asleep seems possible, although it would have happened really, really fast as the area she was found was so close to the party. That seems more likely if she was found a couple miles down the road?

I have a very strong feeling Kiely was already by the water when she called Sami about needing a ride. I've wondered before if others may have also been, maybe not with her, but in different spots, and/or if music and other noise was close enough to carry and was the "party" Sami could hear in the background of the call.

Going to sit by the water for a few makes sense. She could have gotten disoriented from there if it was really dark and whatever she was drinking (perhaps ingested?) quickly caught up with her. We still have no idea exactly when she entered the lake. We only know her phone last pinged there. So, she could have called Sami, and then the tragedy of driving into water could have been awhile later. :(

The NY Post article that accompanied the photo said there was a body in the back seat. It did get covered by the tarp but not before the Post got the photo. I won't get into graphic details on this thread of what I perceive in the photo. It's probably for the best that most people won't see it.
I was very careful not to be specific in my reply, but I am guessing similar. So sorry. :(

I found a chart for Posser Reservoir surface elevation, capacity and measured rain Aug 5-21.
Elevation appears to have declined by 4 feet. It only rained .20 inches between the 5th-6th, really negligible on hard pack sand.
I’m wondering if floating is taken into consideration, could the accident have occurred up by the real boat ramp and that’s why they checked basically downstream where the current would have carried the vehicle?

I forgot that they did search the water on the 19th before AWP came. But I am unsure to what extent.

One theory I have not seen mentioned much since her discovery, is the possibility Kiely was drugged while at the party. It did not seem highly likely, until the reports of older men being present, as well as 'drugs we don't usually have at our parties' I believe was the quote. This along with several of the statements about Kiely's intoxication level made me wonder. It was a very short period of time to become so inebriated so fast. It is definitely possible she started before arriving to the party. Many of the drugs that can be easily slipped in a drink (often referred to as date rape drugs) can have a delayed onset and a dramatic, sudden effect. In the rare change this is the case, that would mean this would be a criminal investigation and it would be investigated as a homicide. JMO
Early on in the investigation, lots of people were speculating about that. I'm concerned with the long delay in finding her, that toxicology reports might not be accurate.

I am close to her size, and even with a lot of drinking experience am still a "lightweight." I have to be careful to eat before and while drinking so it doesn't go to my head so fast. If she didn't have a lot of drinking experience, even a relatively small amount of alcohol on an empty stomach could have a major effect.

Early on in the investigation, lots of people were speculating about that. I'm concerned with the long delay in finding her, that toxicology reports might not be accurate.

I am close to her size, and even with a lot of drinking experience am still a "lightweight." I have to be careful to eat before and while drinking so it doesn't go to my head so fast. If she didn't have a lot of drinking experience, even a relatively small amount of alcohol on an empty stomach could have a major effect.
I am not at all a light weight but I hate drinking up north because of the elevation. Get's me every time. LOL

But in 14 ft of water? I mean cars aren’t much longer than that if that are they? I don’t see them doing that in 14 ft of water, but obviously I don’t do this at all.. moo
im going to mention this but im unsure if its been clarified or not.

the link i read, i understood that AWP found the car 14 feet down. i think 14 feet was on top of the car and the car is what 5ish feet tall? and it was deeper that night.

I think this is a valuable case study in perception and how difficult it is to reconstruct things with witnesses, sometimes even when the evidence is still available. It happens I recently got a new computer that has a big and high quality screen. On my old computer, I doubt that it would be possible to see what I'm seeing.

Everyone is free to look at the available evidence and draw their own conclusions. I do think it's relevant because it means she wasn't under the trunk flap, makes it more likely she tried to get out the partly open window in the back seat, etc. It's also perfectly okay for people to say, I don't want to see that in which case the photo is sufficiently vague as to leave them that option. I would never have noticed myself except for a previous poster's comment.
Not really. The photo merely shows the absence of a person in the driver's seat. The body (man, I hate calling her that) has been floating around in that car for two weeks. Not to mention the car was flipped over by SAR and the body would have ended up in a completely random place in the car as it drained of water.

I also think we can rule out the body being under the cargo cover. If it was, AWP wouldn't have seen it. jmo

1661278472981.png

For clarification, this is the original linked photo that has since been edited/cropped and posted on WS to support the idea that ringed fingers (similar to KP's jewelry) can allegedly be seen gripping the driver's seat headrest.

I trust seeing the entire, actual photo with not less than 7 individuals (not in uniform) surrounding the vehicle will assist viewers to form their own opinion on whether or not it is probable that LE rescuers decided to leave the window with the alleged body image open and uncovered while taking care to cover the rear window area of the vehicle. JMO.

Last edited:
Authorities reiterated, more than once at yesterday's press conference, that this is still a very active investigation. Regardless of what may seem likely, based on where Kiely's car was ultimately located, we cannot know for sure that she did or did not drive into the water from the boat ramp, or from another location. Many cases are evidence that a vehicle in water is not always found where it is expected to be, but in an entirely different area. The Susan Smith case has been specifically cited here, where her car was found during a third search of a lake, because investigators expected it to be within 30 feet of the boat launch that it had been driven off of, and it was found 9 days after going in, some 100 feet from the boat ramp. Each case of a vehicle going into water is different, based on factors such as speed and angle of entry, weight and type of vehicle, whether windows may have been up or down, and other factors.

According to information given during yesterday's press conference, CHP is calling in their MAIT (Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Teams) to fully investigate the accident. I am confident that they will conduct a very thorough investigation, and will ultimately be able to completely reconstruct this tragic accident, including how and from where she ended up, deceased, where her car finally settled on the bottom of Prosser Reservoir. JMO

The objective of the MAIT Program is to provide the CHP with the means to conduct in-depth investigations and analyses of major traffic collisions throughout the state. Investigations include the reconstruction of an incident and a study of the factors that may have contributed to the incident. The factors include environmental, human and mechanical and are associated with the three phases of a collision which are pre-collision, at-collision and post-collision.

Agree that we can’t infer anything—it has appeared there were tire tracks as well, and given the direction of outflow I’d the water of the reservoir, you’re right I assumed her car would go toward where the water exits the reservoir.

i could be wrong, but believe the current would have had a hard time bringing her car, in just 14-20’ of water, around that little peninsula and toward the Prosser Camprground, toward Alder creek, when I have a hunch it would have flowed possibly more forcefully toward the Truckee River. *My amateur speculation only.*

It seems more plausible to me that her car went off the beach and sank. The cars were parked over on that side, according to SS and other party goers.

AWP’s videos seem to suggest that cars don’t travel much once they sink, and hers did not appear to have been dragged, etc. I guess it depends on how long it would take a 2013 Honda CR-V to sink to the bottom and how strong the current was in that exact direction at that time of day (it’s a reservoir, and the water exit is controlled on a schedule).

ETA: I am not an expert in water sinking/water physics by any means, and eagerly await the MAIT report so we know what happened and can hopefully prevent such car/water misadventures in the future.

Last edited:

I’ve covered nearly a hundred missing persons cases and followed countless more, but I’ve rarely seen an online furor as heartless as the one surrounding Kiely. Within a few days, the internet speculation and conjecture became its own content machine. Some YouTube channels pumped out multiple videos a day, spending hours speculating wildly about the case. One channel even livestreamed an interview with one of Kiely’s friends, a minor who should be protected from, not subjected to, the scrutiny of strangers.

Searching Kiely’s name on YouTube yields a horrifying array of clickbait thumbnails and titles, like “KIELY RODNI THINGS ARE NOT ADDING UP!” and “How is this not a red flag?” They weave elaborate conspiracy theories, many centering on the actions of some of Kiely’s friends the night she went missing, accusing them of lying, leaving out important information or otherwise conspiring about Kiely's disappearance.
These "theories" do not bear repeating, because they have no basis in reality. But the names of multiple minors are now all over the internet, in YouTube comments and Twitter, Instagram and TikTok replies, linking them to the tragedy that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. The guilt they no doubt feel for losing track of their friend at a party — and who among us hasn’t experienced that at least once in their adolescence? — is now compounded by an internet paper trail of people accusing them of intentionally harming Kiely.

(more at link

The speculations and conspiracy theories were off the rails. Especially that country singer who was convinced certain Youtuber's were involved. Anyone that questioned or disagreed with him was attacked by his followers. I wish celebrities that have a huge following would realize what kind of power they have and how they can really have an effect on someone else's life.

The NY Post article that accompanied the photo said there was a body in the back seat. It did get covered by the tarp but not before the Post got the photo. I won't get into graphic details on this thread of what I perceive in the photo. It's probably for the best that most people won't see it.

I just looked a little closer and my stomach dropped. I really wish NY Post wouldn't have published this photo. It's too late now, but like you said, hopefully people won't see it.

When photos are blown up they become distorted and you start seeing things that aren't actually there.

View attachment 361289

For clarification, this is the original linked photo that has since been edited/cropped and posted on WS to support the idea that ringed fingers (similar to KP's jewelry) can allegedly be seen gripping the driver's seat headrest.

I trust seeing the entire, actual photo with not less than 7 individuals (not in uniform) surrounding the vehicle will assist viewers to form their own opinion on whether or not it is probable that LE rescuers decided to leave the window with the alleged body image open and uncovered while taking care to cover the rear window area of the vehicle. JMO.
Agreed. Why use a privacy tarp and then not cover the private part? They also did their best to screen off as much of the area as they could with those big black privacy screens. Given all those efforts to protect Kiely's dignity I highly doubt any part of the remains were open to view. jmo

I feel like someone else has probably already questioned this, but if so I’ve missed any discussions on it.

IF she drove straight in, no matter the speed..I think we all pretty much agree based on well documented videos and information and such..and simple common knowledge..the motor being the heaviest point will very quickly “tip” the nose of the car downward. It seems many of us speculate that is exactly what happened and as it started to “nosedive” perhaps Kiely climbed “up” towards the rear of the car in an attempt to escape. We know the car was upside down. So it went straight in, nose-dived down - tail up, and eventually flipping onto its hood.

The car was turned back over before removing from the water. Obviously this must be done from the side of the car, can’t imagine they “stand” it to flip.. If she drove in, nose down and flipped in that manner..they then tipped from side of car to be right side up again..this doesn’t change the direction the car would be facing.. soo then pulled it out..the car would be facing the other way right? Since as it went nose down and then bottom up, unless they flipped and did a complete 360 underwater (why would they ever do that??), the car should have came out facing the beach - not away from it.

It doesn’t seem like enough depth, “current” or any other conditions that could have made this turn around that much in nature either at the time, or since it’s been in there.

I can’t make any sense out of her rolling it and not finding ANYTHING tracks or debris, anything to indicate that but idk how or where she entered something just seems so off. Moo
There is plenty of current in that cove.
However given the depth of 14 feet, there is also a considerable amount of silt built up from erosion and soil carried into the area along with a possible higher ground elevation in that area.
I’ve forgotten the average depth of the reservoir- was it 35-50 feet?

Relative to toxicology after about 15 days submerged in water, take note that the ME was able to determine missing MI freshman Brendan Santo's cause of death as accidental drowning while intoxicated (tested positive for ethanol with a blood level of .22%), acute ethanol intoxication listed as a contributory condition.

18 yr old Santo was recovered from the Red Cedar River after missing for 3 months following a campus party last Oct 2021 during the MSU vs U of M football weekend.

Also, there are multiple examples of autopsied cases on WS of missing Florida women eventually recovered from submerged vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I noticed about the CRV, which is not graphic in nature, but I have debated sharing...

The driver's side seat seems to be all extended/reclined the way back, from the headrest position in the NY Post recovery image.

I'm several inches taller than Kiely, so I looked at this after the other...

IF she lost control of her vehicle, this could have factored in? I remember when I was a teen, some kids thought this was a "cool" way to drive, but we didn't really have SUVs back then. i.e. people would adjust the seat to almost be sitting in the backseat, regardless of how tall they were.

I'm not trying to promote any conspiracy. At 5 ft 7, she was tall enough that most people could probably have driven her car to move it if they needed to without adjusting the seat, but....I noticed this detail as much as the back seat stuff.

There is also this image of her Honda previously. We have no way of knowing if she owned it then, of course. But the driver's seat is not as far back.

Again, I'm thinking more of her ability to control her car here--i.e. tipping over, that sort of thing.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.07.46 PM.png Missing Kiely Rodni: Investigators find new video of vanished teen on night of party, reward increases to $75K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01