Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that what people are seeing in the photo is nothing more than muck from the lake sticking to the window and maybe some reflection from those bright oxygen tanks MOO
The NY Post article that accompanied the photo said there was a body in the back seat. It did get covered by the tarp but not before the Post got the photo. I won't get into graphic details on this thread of what I perceive in the photo. It's probably for the best that most people won't see it.

I’ve covered nearly a hundred missing persons cases and followed countless more, but I’ve rarely seen an online furor as heartless as the one surrounding Kiely. Within a few days, the internet speculation and conjecture became its own content machine. Some YouTube channels pumped out multiple videos a day, spending hours speculating wildly about the case. One channel even livestreamed an interview with one of Kiely’s friends, a minor who should be protected from, not subjected to, the scrutiny of strangers.

Searching Kiely’s name on YouTube yields a horrifying array of clickbait thumbnails and titles, like “KIELY RODNI THINGS ARE NOT ADDING UP!” and “How is this not a red flag?” They weave elaborate conspiracy theories, many centering on the actions of some of Kiely’s friends the night she went missing, accusing them of lying, leaving out important information or otherwise conspiring about Kiely's disappearance.
These "theories" do not bear repeating, because they have no basis in reality. But the names of multiple minors are now all over the internet, in YouTube comments and Twitter, Instagram and TikTok replies, linking them to the tragedy that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. The guilt they no doubt feel for losing track of their friend at a party — and who among us hasn’t experienced that at least once in their adolescence? — is now compounded by an internet paper trail of people accusing them of intentionally harming Kiely.

(more at link)
This has been an issue for a while now. Not just Kiely's case. Sarah Turney is a huge advocate for change in the true crime community since she started talking about her sister Alissa Turney's case on TT.

Also the two friends that were front and center most of the time I thought were 18?

I've enhanced the photo. Now what do you think?
It could literally be anything, we have no idea what was in the back of that vehicle. There appears to be condensation or haze on the window. I assume, and this is purely speculation but the body probably moved around and settled somewhere in there upon being pulled up having gravity set in, so I imaging the condensation or haze would have been marked up had her fingers touched the window. This could also be a reflection of the air tank. Id hate to presume anything here as it really is irrelevant and provides no helpful information to the case.

I’ve covered nearly a hundred missing persons cases and followed countless more, but I’ve rarely seen an online furor as heartless as the one surrounding Kiely. Within a few days, the internet speculation and conjecture became its own content machine. Some YouTube channels pumped out multiple videos a day, spending hours speculating wildly about the case. One channel even livestreamed an interview with one of Kiely’s friends, a minor who should be protected from, not subjected to, the scrutiny of strangers.

Searching Kiely’s name on YouTube yields a horrifying array of clickbait thumbnails and titles, like “KIELY RODNI THINGS ARE NOT ADDING UP!” and “How is this not a red flag?” They weave elaborate conspiracy theories, many centering on the actions of some of Kiely’s friends the night she went missing, accusing them of lying, leaving out important information or otherwise conspiring about Kiely's disappearance.
These "theories" do not bear repeating, because they have no basis in reality. But the names of multiple minors are now all over the internet, in YouTube comments and Twitter, Instagram and TikTok replies, linking them to the tragedy that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. The guilt they no doubt feel for losing track of their friend at a party — and who among us hasn’t experienced that at least once in their adolescence? — is now compounded by an internet paper trail of people accusing them of intentionally harming Kiely.

(more at link)
Unfortunately, we are living in an era where social media with all its benefits has also created a lot of toxicity in our world. People say things online they'd never dare say to someone's face. That guy who got acquitted now has millions of dollars from major celebrities because people - including famous people and so called "leaders" - are so reckless about what they say.

When it happens on our local social media, and if I'm present enough myself in the moment not to react in a triggered way, I simply remind people to be kind. It doesn't help much to then lash out at the people doing it. I've noticed a shift in our local social media as I've done this repeatedly - that people are now a little more careful with their words. I think we can all make a difference if we simply remind others to question assumptions, take a moment to breathe before accusing or judging, and kindness. We can also make a difference by not clicking on obvious click bait and so not rewarding this kind of behavior.

The NY Post article that accompanied the photo said there was a body in the back seat. It did get covered by the tarp but not before the Post got the photo. I won't get into graphic details on this thread of what I perceive in the photo. It's probably for the best that most people won't see it.

I saw it but looked away, I'm not emotionally able to pore over something like that. I don't want to examine it, but that's just me and how I personally respond to this.

If I were a local I wouldn't have gone to watch the retrieval even though I respect those who made that choice. My mind would go to places I don't want.

On another note:

Several years ago, my sister bought me one of those devices to break a car window and cut the seatbelt should I ever wind up underwater. It's in a pocket next to the driver's side window.

However, to be honest, even while sitting here safely on my couch at home, I can't recall the procedure for what to do first. I will review it for sure, but in an emergency situation with seconds to orient myself and any passengers, I don't know if I'd get us out of there.

That's part of why I'm a cautious driver. I don't drink or do drugs, so my mind is clear, but I can still imagine forgetting everything I ever knew if I were trapped upside down or sideways and had to reach for that device.

On my way out now and I'm going to scrutinize that device.

(more at link)
more and more we see this sort of thing. Very sad. Social media can be a blessing in that it gets the word out far and wide. At the same time a curse, because it gets misinformation and hatefulness out there all the farther and wider than before we had such a thing. #cringe

(more at link)
Something similar happened in Dyan Rounds' case where some youtubers found it profitable to create drama by bashing the family. IMO it's a social media disease.

There might be an error in the DailyMail map.

This is the aerial footage during car recovery. Notice the roads.

View attachment 361219

View attachment 361221
So which of these is accurate? In the picture that @otto posted the vehicle was found off the shoreline near the beach. In the article where the boyfriend talks Boyfriend of Kiely Rodni says her death '*advertiser censored***** hurts' the picture posted their has her vehicle being found just outside the area searched by LE near the boat ramp.

Attachments

• 61621393-11136177-This_map_shows_the_area_in_green_cops_canvassed_as_they_searched-a-50_166121...jpg
    61621393-11136177-This_map_shows_the_area_in_green_cops_canvassed_as_they_searched-a-50_166121...jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 54
Something similar happened in Dyan Rounds' case where some youtubers found it profitable to create drama by bashing the family. IMO it's a social media disease.
Speaking of the family, and again on the theme of there but for the grace of God go I ...

Last night I was talking to my almost 80 year old neighbor who is a long time Truckee local. He said kids have always partied in that location. He has grown children who partied there (his daughter was nodding along as he spoke). It really was considered a safe space for decades. I'm sure the parents are second guessing every choice they made at this point, but it really wasn't seen in this community as a risk because people have been doing it for so long.

Do you happen to have a link to the article with said picture?

this was an excellent read. Thank you to the OP who shared it earlier. Below is what I was trying to articulate when people were grousing about LE asking for tips and then pleading for people to stop sending in duplicate tips. The author did a much better job of expressing that frustration than I did. People described below as "breathless strangers who read a bad theory on the internet" . . . that sort of person right there is why LE is so hesitant to work with the public or crowd source with folks like us. Because the breathless crowd makes us all look like we are coocoo for coco puffs and not to be taken seriously. MOO A young woman died leaving a hole in the lives of those who loved her, likely in part due to her own poor judgment. There is no "whodoneit" in this case. There is only a tragic end to a short life full of potential. Kiely is gone. She was real. She was here. Now she's gone. She is not "fodder" for the breathless --------------------

Even well-meaning people piled on, tagging sheriff’s offices repeatedly on social media asking them to follow up on leads that were already done and cleared. No friend of Kiely’s has ever been a person of interest; it’s long been evident that the most likely scenario was that a 16-year-old got in her car, possibly intoxicated, and made a mistake that killed her.

The Placer County Sheriff’s Office received nearly 2,000 tips in two weeks. Every single one needed a follow-up, and you can bet that at least some of those tips came from breathless strangers who read a bad theory on the internet. A percentage of those tips represents precious resources and time wasted. There are real-life implications for online fearmongering.
How the Kiely Rodni case turned into a nightmarish internet witch hunt

So which of these is accurate? In the picture that @otto posted the vehicle was found off the shoreline near the beach. In the article where the boyfriend talks Boyfriend of Kiely Rodni says her death '*advertiser censored***** hurts' the picture posted their has her vehicle being found just outside the area searched by LE near the boat ramp.
The car was not by the boat ramp. It was near the party location on the other side. There was no boat ramp only a dirt "beach"

Shame on the NY Post! Kiely was someone's child, someone's girlfriend and many peoples friend. This was a heartless and selfish act to make a buck. MOO

Is the beach a sandy beach or just dirt/gravel? If sand I would think she would have gotten stuck and figured out what was happening/woke up. If it's hard dirt or gravel I guess she could have traveled across and into the water without ever knowing what was happening.
There are multiple pictures of the beach in the various media articles. I have been there and would say it’s more like a dirt beach, typical of mountainous riversides, etc. but not muddy.

RS&BBM
@Curiosa20, I saw you asked this also at the end of T5, so thanks for asking again 'cause I wanted to respond to you.

All I have seen is the NYPOST statement about what Nick Rinn said - that when he found the car the driver window was broken and KR was in the backseat. I quoted the OP who first cited that information from NYPOST.

Here is my post from T5 in response, opining as to how the driver window broke, along with the OP's post and his/her link to the NYPOST article.

Maybe we can ask the article's author to verify?

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5' CA - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

ETA: formatting
Thanks so much @RedHaus- will you ask? I don’t mean to be a broken record. :)
I’m pretty sure that’s a meme. I’ve listened to all their video reports and published comments. They’ so closely guarded with details. It seems unlikely to me that he said that.

I've posted it a few times so this is the last time I'm going to post it. Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir
Are you referring to the photo with the slightly shining thing you think is a hand showing her ring, or is there some other photo?

Because the NY Post really wants to sell clicks and they can do that and be *almost* correct and get away with it if they say she was in the back seat, whether she’s in the back seat or the cargo area or wherever.

The NY Post also said that Nick Rinn said the window was broken and there was a body in the back seat, but they were careful not to use quotes, which i find suspect. Nick Rinn is *extremely* careful to use the word “remains” when speaking, and nowhere did I read elsewhere or see/hear him share those details. Those are easily details a “journalist” could have simply manufactured by looking at that picture.

If that one pic is the only pic they have, that does not convince me that it’s a photo of her hand. It also makes me more convinced than ever that we need to wait for official exam results/better news sources because it feels like the NY Post is really reaching here.

Edited by me 1 min after posting for clarity

Last edited:
The things I'm most curious about with the autopsy are:
  1. Was the COD drowning? If it is, then the simple explanation of wrong turn and drove into water is nearly the only possible cause here. If it's anything else, that opens up a whole host of new questions and invites speculation about foul play.
  2. Results of toxicology - however BAC levels are valid on autopsy up to 48 hours after death and Kiely has presumably been in the water for much longer. I believe they can guesstimate after that point, but if you were going to use it in any court proceedings, the results become less valid after 48 hours.
  3. Does the body have any other injuries or marks that would tell us Kiely met any other end other than an accident.
  4. Is there water in the lungs? Water in the lungs is indicative of trying to escape meaning she was conscious and breathing when the car hit the water.
Regardless of the results, I hope the autopsy provides the family with answers so they can get some kind of closure. Just an absolutely tragic situation all around.
Thanks @ACG2x. Given you are knowledgeable on this topic, can you provide us with any insight as to how much autopsy and/or toxicology data will be publicly reported since KR was a minor? I suspect we will hear very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms