Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, too. I wondered about the witnesses referred to.
And about the allegedly broken window- have you actually seen or read a direct quoted statement from APD guy Nick Rinn declaring he saw it broken? I’ve only seen an attribution, not a quote, in one place- NY Post.
I don’t see broken glass but that’s me.

There were several posts from a member or two present during recovery last night including one who was out there who categorically denied seeing it broken, even with binoculars.
If you look at the front window of the car you can see broken glass still stuck/wedged inside of the car. Upper right and lower right area's of the window. And even along the bottom edge which is a little harder to see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.15.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.15.49 AM.png
    580.6 KB · Views: 132
RS&BBM
@Curiosa20, I saw you asked this also at the end of T5, so thanks for asking again 'cause I wanted to respond to you.

All I have seen is the NYPOST statement about what Nick said - that when he found the car the driver window was broken and KR was in the backseat. I quoted the OP who first cited that information from NYPOST.

Here is my post from T5 in response, opining as to how the driver window broke, along with the OP's post and his/her link to the NYPOST article.

Maybe we can ask the article's author to verify?

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5' CA - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

ETA: formatting
That was me, I was the original poster of the NY Post article. The way NY Post worded the paragraph, it came across to me as a continuation of the quote from Nick Rinn. Maybe NY Post inferred what he was saying, I don't know. NY Post would have to clear that up.

I attached the link if anyone else would like to read.

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir

If she drove down a boat ramp I don't know if her car would hit the water with enough force to throw her out of her seat....if she had hit something hard enough to throw her than her airbags should have deployed
She wouldn't be in the back bc of being thrown there. The front end of the vehicle is heavy due to the engine. So it goes straight to the bottom. The tires would try to float though bc of the air in them. Which is what caused the car to flip. The back end of the car would have been straight up in the air for a bit maybe..until it fully turned over. That's where she would have gone to keep her head above water..but eventually the car completely filled up.

Last edited:
this was mentioned in the last thread - but 73 degree water is COLD. I live in south Florida and most of the time (11 months out of the year) its warm like bathwater. Approx 84 or so degrees. We have to wear wetsuits when it drops to the upper 70s b/c its so cold. My point: even if the average water temp was 73, that's really not that warm.

this was mentioned in the last thread - but 73 degree water is COLD. I live in south Florida and most of the time (11 months out of the year) its warm like bathwater. Approx 84 or so degrees. We have to wear wetsuits when it drops to the upper 70s b/c its so cold. My point: even if the average water temp was 73, that's really not that warm.
Good point. I went swimming in Maine in August when the ocean temperature was about 64 degrees. It was so cold it was painful.

I think the water in Prosser Creek was cold enough to slow down decomposition. Hopefully that will help determine exactly what happened to Kiely.

Replying to my own post—it’s not letting me edit it for some reason—I didn’t realize there were witnesses??!! I didn’t watch the press conference so May have missed that tidbit. Unless I am completely misunderstanding your post?

On another topic—during recovery, I wonder if they had to secure the remains (sorry that sounds so cold and heartless) before bringing the car out? Could also explain the broken window.

Me, too. I wondered about the witnesses referred to.
And about the allegedly broken window- have you actually seen or read a direct quoted statement from APD guy Nick Rinn declaring he saw it broken? I’ve only seen an attribution, not a quote, in one place- NY Post.
I don’t see broken glass but that’s me.

There were several posts from a member or two present during recovery last night including one who was out there who categorically denied seeing it broken, even with binoculars.
I think they’re calling anyone at all close to the case a “witness.” It’s a bit of a sloppy term, because it sounds like they actually saw the car sink, but anyone interviewed in a case may be called a witness. It’s confusing—but no, I do t think they have any witnesses who saw her moving her car (they said repeatedly that no one claimed to see her leave).

Now, that doesn’t mean that no one saw anything important, just that no one says they saw Kiely leaving, or the car driving, after the party. In this case I think they’re using the word “witness” more generally, as they referred to folks at the campground who were around that night.

If she drove down a boat ramp I don't know if her car would hit the water with enough force to throw her out of her seat....if she had hit something hard enough to throw her than her airbags should have deployed
It does not appear she drove down the boat ramp—in the maps thread you can see where the boat ramp is and where the car was found. It appears her car went across the beach, closer to where the party was centered.

I think they’re calling anyone at all close to the case a “witness.” It’s a bit of a sloppy term, because it sounds like they actually saw the car sink, but anyone interviewed in a case may be called a witness. It’s confusing—but no, I do t think they have any witnesses who saw her moving her car (they said repeatedly that no one claimed to see her leave).

Now, that doesn’t mean that no one saw anything important, just that no one says they saw Kiely leaving, or the car driving, after the party. In this case I think they’re using the word “witness” more generally, as they referred to folks at the campground who were around that night.
LE will continue to speak to anyone that might have information about when she left that party. I think they are just trying to tie off what actually happened to put her in the lake with no witnesses- i.e. did she leave much later when everyone was gone? she obviosly wasn't following everyone out in a big line of cars...why? I would think they could identify someone who was there who would say "when I left, I didn't see any others cars, everyone was gone".

Edited: and I wonder if that free pass is now null and void. If you came forward before, you're off the hook, but if we find you and you didn't come forward... drugs and alcohol charges could now be on the table. I would be reluctant to come forward now if I hadn't soken to the police already.

The things I'm most curious about with the autopsy are:
  1. Was the COD drowning? If it is, then the simple explanation of wrong turn and drove into water is nearly the only possible cause here. If it's anything else, that opens up a whole host of new questions and invites speculation about foul play.
  2. Results of toxicology - however BAC levels are valid on autopsy up to 48 hours after death and Kiely has presumably been in the water for much longer. I believe they can guesstimate after that point, but if you were going to use it in any court proceedings, the results become less valid after 48 hours.
  3. Does the body have any other injuries or marks that would tell us Kiely met any other end other than an accident.
  4. Is there water in the lungs? Water in the lungs is indicative of trying to escape meaning she was conscious and breathing when the car hit the water.
Regardless of the results, I hope the autopsy provides the family with answers so they can get some kind of closure. Just an absolutely tragic situation all around.

LE will continue to speak to anyone that might have information about when she left that party. I think they are just trying to tie off what actually happened to put her in the lake with no witnesses- i.e. did she leave much later when everyone was gone? she obviosly wasn't following everyone out in a big line of cars...why? I would think they could identify someone who was there who would say "when I left, I didn't see any others cars, everyone was gone".

Edited: and I wonder if that free pass is now null and void. If you came forward before, you're off the hook, but if we find you and you didn't come forward... drugs and alcohol charges could now be on the table. I would be reluctant to come forward now if I hadn't soken to the police already.
I’m curious if maybe she left a different or “back” way because she was trying to get home fast (curfew) and avoid the line of cars

It does not appear she drove down the boat ramp—in the maps thread you can see where the boat ramp is and where the car was found. It appears her car went across the beach, closer to where the party was centered.
Is the beach a sandy beach or just dirt/gravel? If sand I would think she would have gotten stuck and figured out what was happening/woke up. If it's hard dirt or gravel I guess she could have traveled across and into the water without ever knowing what was happening.

Prosser Creek Reservoir's current water temperature is 66°F. Today's forecast is: Clear throughout the day., with a high around 93°F and a low around 37°F. Winds are out of the WSW at 4 mph with gusts of 15 mph.

Authorities reiterated, more than once at yesterday's press conference, that this is still a very active investigation. Regardless of what may seem likely, based on where Kiely's car was ultimately located, we cannot know for sure that she did or did not drive into the water from the boat ramp, or from another location. Many cases are evidence that a vehicle in water is not always found where it is expected to be, but in an entirely different area. The Susan Smith case has been specifically cited here, where her car was found during a third search of a lake, because investigators expected it to be within 30 feet of the boat launch that it had been driven off of, and it was found 9 days after going in, some 100 feet from the boat ramp. Each case of a vehicle going into water is different, based on factors such as speed and angle of entry, weight and type of vehicle, whether windows may have been up or down, and other factors.

According to information given during yesterday's press conference, CHP is calling in their MAIT (Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Teams) to fully investigate the accident. I am confident that they will conduct a very thorough investigation, and will ultimately be able to completely reconstruct this tragic accident, including how and from where she ended up, deceased, where her car finally settled on the bottom of Prosser Reservoir. JMO

The objective of the MAIT Program is to provide the CHP with the means to conduct in-depth investigations and analyses of major traffic collisions throughout the state. Investigations include the reconstruction of an incident and a study of the factors that may have contributed to the incident. The factors include environmental, human and mechanical and are associated with the three phases of a collision which are pre-collision, at-collision and post-collision.

I think it's interesting that they said the FBI was processing the vehicle. It made sense for the FBI to be involved when there was a possibility of abduction, etc. Now that the vehicle has been found in the same general area as the party, if the FBI thought this was a simple vehicular accident, do you think they would spend time/manpower processing this vehicle?

I think it's interesting that they said the FBI was processing the vehicle. It made sense for the FBI to be involved when there was a possibility of abduction, etc. Now that the vehicle has been found in the same general area as the party, if the FBI thought this was a simple vehicular accident, do you think they would spend time/manpower processing this vehicle?
I don't find that odd at all. FBI is often involved in assisting local authorities with investigations IME. Even non abduction cases. They bring their resources to bear. Often their resources are superior to those that local law enforcement agencies have access to.

I think it's interesting that they said the FBI was processing the vehicle. It made sense for the FBI to be involved when there was a possibility of abduction, etc. Now that the vehicle has been found, if the FBI thought this was a simple vehicular accident, do you think they would spend time/manpower processing this vehicle?
I am stumped on the FBI's continued involvement as well. This is not typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hskrgrl1955