Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO.
I am surprised so many folks are convinced that the tow truck driver’s account is legitimate, but think he must have just been there on a different day.

Call me crazy, but my spidey sense (a.k.a. MOO) feels that his whole story is suspect. They begin his interview by saying he is a long-time supporter of AWP. That right there is just kind of odd (he’s supposedly offering a tip, but also reinforcing that they’re famous… just a thing that makes me stroke my chin questioningly).

But the thing that really leapt out at me is the level of detail he is supposedly able to remember about that service call, but also the things he is not able to recall. He referred to his work by saying he works for a roadside assistance program. Would that be a roadside assistance company? A towing company? He didn’t say the name of the company (which they would then redact/bleep out—he was careful not to name them… so he was coached prior to his taped interview.) Program is a weird word choice, to my ear (MOO).

Next, we have to talk about how the people he described helping were wearing the exact clothing that Jagger and Kate were wearing in their interview with MSM (the one where Jagger says he expects Kiely will be found safe, and Kate says everything was normal, and that she and KR made créme brûlée that day). He goes so far as to describe the black flat top San Francisco baseball cap with brown hair sticking out the sides, and the female as wearing a light grey sweatshirt.

My issues are twofold:

1) this guy is delivering all of this information to the AWP Crew (in the Best Buy parking lot, no less) about 2 weeks after the fact, he could easily have seen the MSM interview and then just made up the story. We have no log of the call, no video, and no acknowledgement from LE that this “tip” was ever called in. MOO/YMMV, but it smells fishy to me.

2) If I were AWP in fact most interested in the truth above all else, and I want to be sensitive to all involved, I’d want to run down the facts of that interview and double check with LE to make damn sure it all happened exactly as he said it did before using it as the opening hook in my mini-documentary on the search & recovery effort. After watching the video again, I think this is the sticking point for me (this and the recorded phone call from when they informed the family). They seem to want to err on the side that favors “murder?” and clicks, rather on ensuring accuracy and in publicizing what is most likely to be true. That bugs me.

I’ll walk back some of my (admittedly sharp) criticism and say that had they left out this sus-as-heck tow truck driver interview and the informing-the-family call, the remainder of the film was actually OK. Sorry if I offended folks with my criticism of AWP—I’m glad they found her and laud their work, even if I object to some of their tactics.

(I still find it impossible to believe that he called in a whopper of a tip like this to LE and that they somehow overlooked it.)

Again, MOO.
I know they have to edit their videos down to about 45 minutes, but I would have much preferred watching them search and rule out Boca Lake, Donner Lake and the ponds near the lodge before they went to Prosser. That interests me far more than a random interview with a tipster that led to absolutely nothing.

It's cool to watch them actually find something but I'd like to see more of the actual search and how they rule places out. The interview of the tow truck driver is more suitable for one of the dozens of true crime YT channels out there. IMO

The screen capture shows where the image is from but I'll link AwP video for you.
The bit with the roadside guy has been out a few days now.

If LE has disproven it, wouldn't they release something to the effect? They have with other details that were untrue, such as the "hundreds of videos."

I agree with you that putting her CRV into the water on Saturday in broad daylight seems outlandish.
I have phone issues here.
I have phone issues here today.
I think IMO the emergency roadside lead is hokey.
The TTD identified as a fan/follower, seems to have previously sent a message to AWP and arranged an interview. Unwarranted and inappropriate IMO.
Even if he somehow traversed the entire region for 1 week never aware of anything much less the Missing Posters plastered everywhere and community tent set up right alongside the main road in front of the CHP headquarters, surely the dispatch would have reported the call, videos, recordings of the encounter he talks about.
Is it reasonable to assume that the public would not be advised of that encounter? LE never budged during 2 weeks from the last siting time at party. Wasn’t that at or around 12:30?
As far as I understand and gleaned from the FBI missing persons protocol site, the FBI labs and forensic team would process evidence. According to the PI. the FBI Card team oversaw and directed the recovery. I assume it would at least supervise the ongoing investigation. We heard that CHP MAIT would be involved, too. And in real life I have seen that the FBI defers to local LE as public face now jurisdiction of Nevada County.
This is high profile and highly sensationalized which is disturbing on many levels.
I have faith and confidence that nobody will get away with any cover up.

Doug agreed with Nick, being a fellow tow truck driver, that you see some crazy stuff on the job. I don't think it was Kiely he saw either, but I do think it was her car he serviced. He said the male and female never stood next to each other, and one was always near the car. It could have been another girl with blonde hair that was attempting to cover something up.

Pure speculation: What if Kiely and unidentified female and male took the after party over to Boca and Kiely OD'd or something tragic happened to her. Maybe they all did something (her car seemed to be the party car), but Kiely didn't wake up. Their prints are all over the vehicle, so they call a service guy out to get someone else to touch the inside of the car. An unknown adult male.

Then they somehow stealthily drove down to Prosser and let the car roll into the water. Hence the lack of evidence of entry into the water. IMO
BBM.

A fascinating scenario, @LooksSusToMe.

The only way I can see a Prosser Lake dump happening would be in the cover of a pitch dark night - Saturday night?

ETA: IMO!

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I have owned several automatic transmission vehicles - trucks and cars... not sure when that safety feature was added - just tried googling and stopped. But there is plenty of chatter about having to press down the brake pedal to start a car / truck with an automatic tranny. From what I just tried to research, I see that chatter going back into the early 2000s. To me it is just common knowledge. Manuals require depression of clutch, Automatics require depression of brake pedal.

Here is a wiki excerpt: "Many cars also prevent the engine from being started when the selector is in any position other than Park or Neutral (often in combination with requiring the brake pedal to be pressed)."

ETA: remove my last sentence and add the Wiki reference.
I always put my foot on the brake of a vehicle I'm starting because number one safety and number two I can't move the shifter unless the brake is depressed. JMO.

MOO.
I am surprised so many folks are convinced that the tow truck driver’s account is legitimate, but think he must have just been there on a different day.

Call me crazy, but my spidey sense (a.k.a. MOO) feels that his whole story is suspect. They begin his interview by saying he is a long-time supporter of AWP. That right there is just kind of odd (he’s supposedly offering a tip, but also reinforcing that they’re famous… just a thing that makes me stroke my chin questioningly).

But the thing that really leapt out at me is the level of detail he is supposedly able to remember about that service call, but also the things he is not able to recall. He referred to his work by saying he works for a roadside assistance program. Would that be a roadside assistance company? A towing company? He didn’t say the name of the company (which they would then redact/bleep out—he was careful not to name them… so he was coached prior to his taped interview.) Program is a weird word choice, to my ear (MOO).

Next, we have to talk about how the people he described helping were wearing the exact clothing that Jagger and Kate were wearing in their interview with MSM (the one where Jagger says he expects Kiely will be found safe, and Kate says everything was normal, and that she and KR made créme brûlée that day). He goes so far as to describe the black flat top San Francisco baseball cap with brown hair sticking out the sides, and the female as wearing a light grey sweatshirt.

My issues are twofold:

1) this guy is delivering all of this information to the AWP Crew (in the Best Buy parking lot, no less) about 2 weeks after the fact, he could easily have seen the MSM interview and then just made up the story. We have no log of the call, no video, and no acknowledgement from LE that this “tip” was ever called in. MOO/YMMV, but it smells fishy to me.

2) If I were AWP in fact most interested in the truth above all else, and I want to be sensitive to all involved, I’d want to run down the facts of that interview and double check with LE to make damn sure it all happened exactly as he said it did before using it as the opening hook in my mini-documentary on the search & recovery effort. After watching the video again, I think this is the sticking point for me (this and the recorded phone call from when they informed the family). They seem to want to err on the side that favors “murder?” and clicks, rather on ensuring accuracy and in publicizing what is most likely to be true. That bugs me.

I’ll walk back some of my (admittedly sharp) criticism and say that had they left out this sus-as-heck tow truck driver interview and the informing-the-family call, the remainder of the film was actually OK. Sorry if I offended folks with my criticism of AWP—I’m glad they found her and laud their work, even if I object to some of their tactics.

(I still find it impossible to believe that he called in a whopper of a tip like this to LE and that they somehow overlooked it.)

Again, MOO.
I think our comments crossed simultaneously.
Me, too.

I'm waiting on LE to announce a COD before I jump to it being foul play because I personally still think she drove in. AWP pushed the foul play narrative in another case the case of Natalie Jones and they ended up being wrong to the point that the Sheriff spoke out to media saying what AWP said was untrue.

Even if he somehow traversed the entire region for 1 week never aware of anything much less the Missing Posters plastered everywhere and community tent set up right alongside the main road in front of the CHP headquarters, surely the dispatch would have reported the call, videos, recordings of the encounter he talks about.
RS&BBM
Not sure if this the point you were intending to make, @Curiosa20, but I wonder, if as standard protocol (@OldCop?), when LE puts out an all points bulletin for a vehicle if they directly notify tow truck companies (e.g. accident, abandoned, etc.)?

And IF that is the case, then you'd think the tow truck dispatcher would have notified LE before dispatching service?

I'm waiting on LE to announce a COD before I jump to it being foul play because I personally still think she drove in. AWP pushed the foul play narrative in another case the case of Natalie Jones and they ended up being wrong to the point that the Sheriff spoke out to media saying what AWP said was untrue.

good find, @WillenFan21 . Thanks.

SEPT 2

Volunteers found missing California teen Kiely Mai Rodni, 16, in the back seat of her own sport utility vehicle under 14 feet of water in a reservoir, members of the search and rescue effort said in a YouTube video. The front passenger side window of the vehicle was either “down” or “broken out,” and the rear driver side window was about half open, the video footage indicated. The recording suggested that Rodni’s body was mostly positioned toward the rear passenger side of the vehicle.

Those elements of the case — the open windows, the location of the body in the back seat — suggested to the search team in that moment that something “suspicious” had occurred, they indicated in the recording.

More at 'It Looks Suspicious': Searchers Who Found Kiely Rodni Say Her Body Was in Back Seat, Windows Were Down in Submerged Upside-Down Vehicle

Re: the woman with the car that asked the tow driver how to buckle a seatbelt. It's possible she was very high/drunk/impaired somehow and not in her right frame of mind.

OR it could be that something nefarious or sketchy was going on between her and the male and she was trying to "signal" to the tow driver that she was uneasy. Even though it likely was not Kiely, it could still be a bad situation for some other person, unfortunately.
When I saw that part of the video, I also thought that the "strange behavior" could have been a way to indirectly ask for help.

Hi everyone.

As usual, I’m always late getting to the topics I’d like to know more about so excuse me as I know these questions have probably already been answered.

I heard something about a tow truck driver (?) getting a call from Kiely. He said a male was in the car with her and she was asking questions about how to buckle her seatbelt. I’m assuming parts of what I heard aren’t correct. Can someone give me the details on this?

I also heard that the car was in neutral. Is that true?

Thanks. I know I can count on all of you to set me straight.

I've never heard of vehicles having a system that prevents starting a car unless the primary brake is applied.

I do know about shift interlock systems that prevent a driver of an automatic transmission equipped car from moving the shifter out of park unless the brake is applied.

My car won't start unless you have your foot on the brake, and won't let you turn on the battery for accessories either unless the brake is depressed. In a Honda SUV I owned you need to press the brake to switch the shifter into drive.

SEPT 2

Volunteers found missing California teen Kiely Mai Rodni, 16, in the back seat of her own sport utility vehicle under 14 feet of water in a reservoir, members of the search and rescue effort said in a YouTube video. The front passenger side window of the vehicle was either “down” or “broken out,” and the rear driver side window was about half open, the video footage indicated. The recording suggested that Rodni’s body was mostly positioned toward the rear passenger side of the vehicle.

Those elements of the case — the open windows, the location of the body in the back seat — suggested to the search team in that moment that something “suspicious” had occurred, they indicated in the recording.

More at 'It Looks Suspicious': Searchers Who Found Kiely Rodni Say Her Body Was in Back Seat, Windows Were Down in Submerged Upside-Down Vehicle
The statement "rear passenger side" is confusing to me.

The rear is obviously for passengers but "side" in a car usually is a descriptor of "driver's side" left and "passenger side" right. Are they saying "right side" in the rear?

The statement "rear passenger side" is confusing to me.

The rear is obviously for passengers but "side" in a car usually is a descriptor of "driver's side" left and "passenger side" right. Are they saying "right side" in the rear?
I use the term “rear passenger side” to mean the backseat behind the passenger seat. Much easier than right vs. left. Which, would make sense, if she was in the driver’s seat and went to the backseat, she’d most likely go at the angle and end up behind the passenger seat. MOO

I use the term “rear passenger side” to mean the backseat behind the passenger seat. Much easier than right vs. left. Which, would make sense, if she was in the driver’s seat and went to the backseat, she’d most likely go at the angle and end up behind the passenger seat. MOO
It's probably just me from decades in the auto parts field. We always use "front" "rear" "left "right" when describing the location of vehicle components. JMO.

I think our comments crossed simultaneously.
Me, too.
Also—and I’ll drop it after this—there would be essentially zero negative legal consequences for tow truck driver to offer a fake tip/story to AWP, and there would be very real ones for if he in fact gave a false tip to LE.

It’s one of those situations where I very much hope I am completely wrong/off-base.

Or....the young woman was not Kiely. I do not want to get really weird on the thread, but it may have been Kiely's vehicle, and someone else driving it.

No theory on why they would then behave in a way to call attention to themselves, or why on earth they would call a tow company if they were in the middle of something criminal/sketchy, but just another possibility since we do have a big blow out party, substance use and now an alleged fight between Kiely and another girl that may have caused the "mass exodus" around 12:30 from the party.

All so strange and disturbing.
Can someone remind me who stated there was a “mass exodus” at 12:30? Was it in an MSM interview or did LE report it from their interviews? Was it before or after her phone was reported off/dead at 12:33? It’s been discussed so much here, but I’m wondering if it even happened for sure? Let alone why.
TIA

Can someone remind me who stated there was a “mass exodus” at 12:30? Was it in an MSM interview or did LE report it from their interviews? Was it before or after her phone was reported off/dead at 12:33? It’s been discussed so much here, but I’m wondering if it even happened for sure? Let alone why.
TIA

In the video, they only said it was on “social media”—there was supposedly an altercation between Kiely and another girl at the party and then everyone cleared out. They didn’t specify which SM site. Who knows how accurate that is. Others can probably give you more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar