Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If LE has disproven it, wouldn't they release something to the effect? They have with other details that were untrue, such as the "hundreds of videos."
I said discounted, not disproven, but maybe that is true too.

I'm sure that hundreds of "tips" are disproven just by the discovery of the victim. They cannot possibly address them or explain why they were never considered or investigated.

She's been located so now false, misleading tips and rumors are no longer interfering with the investigation.

Depending on the results of the accident reconstruction and autopsy, I don't think they will be addressing all the theories of foul play.

MOO.
I am surprised so many folks are convinced that the tow truck driver’s account is legitimate, but think he must have just been there on a different day.

Call me crazy, but my spidey sense (a.k.a. MOO) feels that his whole story is suspect. They begin his interview by saying he is a long-time supporter of AWP. That right there is just kind of odd (he’s supposedly offering a tip, but also reinforcing that they’re famous… just a thing that makes me stroke my chin questioningly).

But the thing that really leapt out at me is the level of detail he is supposedly able to remember about that service call, but also the things he is not able to recall. He referred to his work by saying he works for a roadside assistance program. Would that be a roadside assistance company? A towing company? He didn’t say the name of the company (which they would then redact/bleep out—he was careful not to name them… so he was coached prior to his taped interview.) Program is a weird word choice, to my ear (MOO).

Next, we have to talk about how the people he described helping were wearing the exact clothing that Jagger and Kate were wearing in their interview with MSM (the one where Jagger says he expects Kiely will be found safe, and Kate says everything was normal, and that she and KR made créme brûlée that day). He goes so far as to describe the black flat top San Francisco baseball cap with brown hair sticking out the sides, and the female as wearing a light grey sweatshirt.

My issues are twofold:

1) this guy is delivering all of this information to the AWP Crew (in the Best Buy parking lot, no less) about 2 weeks after the fact, he could easily have seen the MSM interview and then just made up the story. We have no log of the call, no video, and no acknowledgement from LE that this “tip” was ever called in. MOO/YMMV, but it smells fishy to me.

2) If I were AWP in fact most interested in the truth above all else, and I want to be sensitive to all involved, I’d want to run down the facts of that interview and double check with LE to make damn sure it all happened exactly as he said it did before using it as the opening hook in my mini-documentary on the search & recovery effort. After watching the video again, I think this is the sticking point for me (this and the recorded phone call from when they informed the family). They seem to want to err on the side that favors “murder?” and clicks, rather on ensuring accuracy and in publicizing what is most likely to be true. That bugs me.

I’ll walk back some of my (admittedly sharp) criticism and say that had they left out this sus-as-heck tow truck driver interview and the informing-the-family call, the remainder of the film was actually OK. Sorry if I offended folks with my criticism of AWP—I’m glad they found her and laud their work, even if I object to some of their tactics.

(I still find it impossible to believe that he called in a whopper of a tip like this to LE and that they somehow overlooked it.)

Again, MOO.
BBM
For me, what is notable, is not what the public thinks is legit. This tow truck guy has his own strong feels about this being her.

"The tow truck driver claims he helped assist someone matching Kiely's description and a male with a dead car battery at nearby Boca Resevoir the weekend she disappeared. That encounter led them to search Boca and Donner Lake before searching Prosser Creek Reservoir, the team said."

In the video, they only said it was on “social media”—there was supposedly an altercation between Kiely and another girl at the party and then everyone cleared out. They didn’t specify which SM site. Who knows how accurate that is. Others can probably give you more details.

That's journalism in 2022 for you. I stated far upthread that I've never had a case that made me appreciate WS as much. The absolute garbage on social media makes me worried about our society on a whole. They are adults in most cases and I wonder how they even tie their shoes in the morning. Scares the hell out of me that these people are even allowed to drive on the same roads, vote, cook food or care for others.

Call me crazy, but my spidey sense (a.k.a. MOO) feels that his whole story is suspect. They begin his interview by saying he is a long-time supporter of AWP. That right there is just kind of odd (he’s supposedly offering a tip, but also reinforcing that they’re famous… just a thing that makes me stroke my chin questioningly).

But the thing that really leapt out at me is the level of detail he is supposedly able to remember about that service call, but also the things he is not able to recall. He referred to his work by saying he works for a roadside assistance program. Would that be a roadside assistance company? A towing company? He didn’t say the name of the company (which they would then redact/bleep out—he was careful not to name them… so he was coached prior to his taped interview.) Program is a weird word choice, to my ear (MOO).

The TTD identified as a fan/follower, seems to have previously sent a message to AWP and arranged an interview. Unwarranted and inappropriate IMO.

Agree, agree, agree.

Again, I do not belittle AWP in any way. Without them Kiely would be a cold case for God knows how long. I greatly respect their work.

That said, IMO this tow truck driver interview should've been tossed until its accuracy could be established. This info would be crucial, if true, and should have gone through LE for verification first.

As @getthefax and @Curiosa20 state, the fact that they begin the interview by confirming that Tow Truck <modnote - Driver> is a longtime fan seems odd. It is not germane to how they found Kiely. It's not gratuitous, either, because it serves the purpose of showing that AWP has a following. Which they do, and I believe deservedly so. But this was not the place for it and should not have been the lead-in.

Clearly he's had prior contact with them so that the interview could take place, with the establishing fact that he's a fan of theirs. If Tow Truck <modnote - Driver> had indeed seen a young couple, one of whom later went missing, then the time, the date, the place, the vehicle, every detail should have been delved into immediately and thoroughly.

I think that AWP needed a starting point as to where to search for Kiely, and at that time any of the lakes may have seemed as likely as another. But Tow Truck <modnote - Driver>'s info did NOT lead to the place she was found, which amplifies IMO that he did not see Kiely.

I credit AWP with finding her, it is awesome that they do this work, everyone is unspeakably grateful to them. But they do not do this anonymously as Good Samaritans. The end result is just as phenomenal, but they do want the following they have garnered and therefore did make a video that was attention-grabbing. IMO it would've grabbed attention enough without throwing in a very speculative interview as click bait.

Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably just me from decades in the auto parts field. We always use "front" "rear" "left "right" when describing the location of vehicle components. JMO.
Right. That is particularly true of body parts. It gets a little confusing if someone is trying to describe an engine part by looking down at the engine at which point left and right may be reversed to them.

Since the divers may not be car guys in the strictest sense, it makes sense when they say something like "the rear window on the passenger side".

JMHO

Right. That is particularly true of body parts. It gets a little confusing if someone is trying to describe an engine part by looking down at the engine at which point left and right may be reversed to them.

Since the divers may not be car guys in the strictest sense, it makes sense when they say something like "the rear window on the passenger side".

JMHO
I made the mistake of confusing the left and right side of a car just once when I was a teen. My boss corrected my mistake in a way that I wouldn't forget. LOL.

I was disappointed that LE wasn’t present during the searches done by AWP. They could have learned so much just by riding along in the boat and observing first hand AWP’s techniques. A missed opportunity, IMO.

I tried grabbing screenshots from the video at some items you could see inside the vehicle. Not human remains. It looks like maybe a phone charger and a Truly can…

View attachment 363445View attachment 363446
It's definitely a Truly can. I had to Goog it to see what that was (hard seltzer @ 5% alcohol). My guess is she (and or others) were drinking in the car. Or, if she's like me she carried the empty can back to the car to bring home to recycle when she went to charge her phone.

Trying to make sense of the video

_ AWP included the unproven strory of the tow truck assistance worker

to explain why they tested Boca and Donner first before Proesser

-They think the car entered from the wide beach

(not a narrow boat launch or trail)

How would a car drive headlong into a beach?

- we dont know the condition of the deatbelt

whether never used, or was opened by K at the time of entry into the water

or eaten away by the water

- Th windows

I thought that the diver said that the front passenger window was broken out

and that the driver's side rear window was open half way

(like in a safety lock)

But then it sounded like he told K's Father that both rear windows were partially down.

Last edited:
I think it's a smart idea that AWP doesn't accept rewards. That way they can choose cases on a fair basis and not be accused of going for the cases with the largest rewards. Monetary motive is removed from the equation.
I emailed them this morning to ask if they do or don't accept rewards as I've seen conflicting info on that. Will post their response if I get one.

I think IMO the emergency roadside lead is hokey.
The TTD identified as a fan/follower, seems to have previously sent a message to AWP and arranged an interview. Unwarranted and inappropriate IMO.
Was it mentioned in AWP’s video that Nick the tow truck driver contacted AWP to arrange the interview? For some reason I thought he just happened to see AWP at Best Buy and approached them… which is very odd timing but stranger things have happened I guess

BBM
For me, what is notable, is not what the public thinks is legit. This tow truck guy has his own strong feels about this being her.

"The tow truck driver claims he helped assist someone matching Kiely's description and a male with a dead car battery at nearby Boca Resevoir the weekend she disappeared. That encounter led them to search Boca and Donner Lake before searching Prosser Creek Reservoir, the team said."

Edited for typos.

I hear what you are saying and respect your opinion.

I would like to know for sure whether that tow truck driver actually informed LE of his tip, and when the driver informed AWP of his tip.

If he did not inform LE, IMHO, this encounter between driver and teens at Prosser may not have even happened.
There have been high profile cases where people just want to insert themselves for some fame/notoriety. This wouldn’t be the first case (MOO).

I hope I am dead wrong and will the the first to admit my shame if I am.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying and respect your opinion.

I would like to know for sure whether that tow truck driver actually inform LE of his tip. If not, IMHo, this encounter between driver and teens at Prosser may not have even happened.

There have been high profile cases where people just want to insert themselves for some fame/notoriety. This wouldn’t be the first case (MOO).

I hope I am dead wrong and will the the first to admit my shame if I am.

Anything is possible, but what would the guy gain in a positive sense, from fabricating something like this?

If he lied? He wastes time, and looks like a jerk, at best. As it is, even among those of us who find him credible, no one seems to be coming out and saying "Well, thank god for Roadside Guy! He saved the day!"

I mean, a couple of minutes in a YouTube video? Seems pretty lame to risk your job over?

Just My opinion but I think it's faul play; otherwise why would no one from the party goers speak
LE interviewed about 400 people so it's possible some did give them helpful information. The biggest problem was that nobody remembered seeing Kiely leave. That must have been very frustrating for LE not to have a firm timeline. I do think she left around the time she planned to. She seemed pretty responsible about coming home in time, according to her mom.

I wonder if LE will address the speculation about foul play, at least. It could spark all kinds of rumors and accusations on SM.

When I saw that part of the video, I also thought that the "strange behavior" could have been a way to indirectly ask for help.
Maybe I just don't get it, but why would the girl have to use "strange behavior" or use code words or any such, to ask for help? It isn't likely that if she had been abducted or was otherwise in danger, the male she was with would have allowed her to use his phone to call for help. Likewise, once tow truck guy arrived, and was physically there with her, if she were in danger, it would have made a lot more sense to just yell "help me", rather than to try to play charades and hope her needs were figured out. JMO

Last edited:
Imo, a sequence of actions where the windows would be in the situation they were discovered:

The car hits the water, and while she is trying to understand what is happening, car is floating out for a few seconds upright but a foot or two in water.

Pressure differential of 2 feet of water outside the doors with no water inside the doors means the doors cannot open as she frantically tries to open her door.

Sitting in her driver seat, her driver window won’t go down. The passenger window won’t go down. One rear window starts to go down but stops a third way.

She swivels her legs toward the passenger window and kicks it out with all her adrenaline fueled might.

But the heavy engine is sinking downward, car nose down, and a powerful rush of water sweeps her upward to the hatchback area.

Car hits bottom, turns fully upside down, pitch black, upside down, 14 foot water pressure hurting her ears, she can’t hold her breath long enough to get oriented and figure out which direction to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar