Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If AWP didn’t make YT vids, they couldn’t do what they do for the families for free. Where would they get the money for the equipment, travel, etc.? I also think it’s important to document these cases in order to educate people about these underwater recoveries and spread awareness about water safety & possible clues to solve other cold cases.

From all the videos I’ve watched on AWP, I’ve yet to see a recovery where the body is in the backseat or cargo area. Don’t think that’s common at all. I think AWP Nick’s reaction was authentic. It was the first dead body he has dived on himself to identify. AWP isn’t perfect, they’ve made mistakes, but this time they should be applauded.

A car will turtle a lot faster than you think. IMO I don’t think it rolled on its side. I think it drove in straight than turtled frontwards.

Good find on the CR-V manual. So you can’t open the hatchback from inside without a screwdriver.
I've owned several SUV's over the years from Ford to Volvo. The best I've been able to do from inside the vehicle is to pop the tailgate window open. Once the window is unlocked/open, one can engage the door latch located on the exterior. But I've never owned a Honda CRV.

Honestly, i think a huge percentage of young girls/women (and even old ladies like me!) keep body spray in their vehicles - if I was AWP, Kiely's vehicle having one inside wouldn't prove that TTG had really seen her. Unless, of course, TTG was extremely specific about the size/brand/color - that would mean a lot more to me.

The fact that the body spray was the *only* thing he saw in the car makes me lean more towards it NOT being Kiely's vehicle. We know that she had her laptop with her and we saw that there was a lot of stuff in the car based on the recovery video. I would think he would have noticed more than just one thing, but who knows?

The passenger window was broken out. Pieces were still in the frame when it was pulled from the lake. Was it broken from the inside or outside? That considerably matters, IMO. I'm not convinced there was anything but an accident involved. Were the doors locked? Keys in the ignition?
IMO the broken glass in the corners looked like it was the driver window to me. When you look at the photo, you can see the water on the outside of the vehicle is the same color as it looks through the front windows - as if the driver window was broken and the front passenger window was down or also broken.

Tayaway POST# 889(?) THREAD# 7
Does LE's silence on the encounter imply that it is connected to her death? MOO: I feel that with all the SM pressure (tweeters and such tweeting out to Nevada LE for confirmation/dismissal), they'd have already stated that it didn't involve KR or people connected to her. I think the public simply wants confirmation/debunking of Nick's account, they don't need to see the footage.

BBM
I agree only authorities need to see the footage and not the public obviously for many reasons. No one wants to look foolish so I think its genuine this footage is as he says. I'm glad that LE is not acknowledging or denying Nick's statement. As I said in the original post if only LE was aware of the footage they wouldn't release the info that it existed. In fact IMO LE would tell anyone (AWP team) who had knowledge of the footage to keep it to themselves and not tell anyone (the public) but the fact that LE let AWP tell the public leads me to assume LE may have wanted it out there for people to know and discuss. AWP is probably bound by obligations to LE because this case is still under investigation so if LE thought it was fine there may be a reason to it.
I don’t think LE could (or should) comment on an alleged encounter between anyone and Kiely, until they complete their investigation into her death.

jmo

I don't believe Nick at all. My assumption is LEO would have easily vetted this out. I think AWP got sold. They bought a story (and maybe Nick believes it) but as time goes on, the less I believe Nick's account. I will say tow truck drivers encounter crazy stuff ever day (as Doug stated). I just think AWP is skilled in what they do and I appreciate them. However, they're not investigators. By their own admission, they're basically self taught. I truly think they've learned a ton from this case and I hope they did as it will aid them in the future. We all want to learn and get better.
IDK there was nothing in the video that made me think that they bought Nick’s story. I think it’s great that they enticed him to be on camera so at least it is Nick’s story and not theirs. MOO

Something that was a red flag to me about the tow truck driver was, "Nick, a long time supporter, fan of ours"

So, this tow truck driver was so concerned, he didn't try to follow up with LEO, his company but managed to be in the parking lot of Best Buy with the company he's long supported. OK

Roadside Nick contacted LE before he saw AWP and approached them. The company locked down all vid from the encounter and handed it over to LE. So far, LE has not given a public statement on whether it's connected to KR's case.

eta: link to AWP vid transcript via Medium

Last edited:
I don't really understand why Kiely's body being in the back of the car is being pushed as evidence of foul play. What's the theory exactly? That there was an OD or a homicide and then someone tried to cover it up and make it look like an accident? Why in the world would they put her body in the very back of the car in that case?

The fact that she was found without her seatbelt in the back of the car seems way more consistent with someone trying to escape a car sinking nose first than with any foul play scenario I can think of.

Understanding now the tabloid-nature of AWP, questioning whether RS Nick was a plant is not outside the realm of possibility. Or, perhaps, when diver Nick resurfaced—understandably in an incomprehensible emotional state—a director may have not deemed it worthy and yelled, “Cut, let’s script it out better tomorrow!”. Sorry, but once you go down that slippery slope you are suspect.
SBM. There's no director. Their lead videographer/editor/executive producer is very young. I find AWP to be a bunch of genuine people.

It will be interesting to see if we ever find out how accurate Nick the roadside guy's story is. IF he took a log of the license plate number for example.

I have seen some people here saying that the CR-V may have been facing the "wrong" way when the tow truck pulled it out.

Not impossible that it could have went end over end under water but IMO more likely that it "barrel rolled" on its side as it sank.

It will be interesting to see if we ever find out how accurate Nick the roadside guy's story is. IF he took a log of the license plate number for example.

I have seen some people here saying that the CR-V may have been facing the "wrong" way when the tow truck pulled it out.

Not impossible that it could have went end over end under water but IMO more likely that it "barrel rolled" on its side as it sank.
Because of the air in the tires, cars “turtle” in water

Amateur opinion and speculation

Because of the air in the tires, cars “turtle” in water

Amateur opinion and speculation
Air trapped in a vehicle can have different effects on a vehicle as well. I have also seen people question if Kiely could have ended up in the cargo area so easily. IMO it is very possible, if a person is submerged in a car they would likely follow the remaining air and potentially get trapped or stuck/entangled or even knocked unconsious.

SBM. There's no director. Their lead videographer/editor/executive producer is very young. I find AWP to be a bunch of genuine people.
The folks in front of the camera, definitely genuine. Well-trained and experienced, committed and dedicated. Not knowing of this group before this case I was immediately drawn to them. They seem to operate as a collective, very professional and have found a niche.
And kudos to the young cameraman/editor. Very slick productions. If someone were calling the shots, however, I imagine it to be their founder/influencer, well-versed in generating revenue from SM hits.
MOO, there is a serious disconnect between the good work they do and how they choose to market it (at least in this case, their most publicized)

Last edited:
View attachment 363896

This is what it would have looked like, he wouldn't have had to be inside anything if the center was rolled back or the perfume was in the cup holders. I used to drive a Mercedes with a slide back console like this-always kept it open because it was annoying to open and close with everything inside.
He did say that to get to the bottom of the issue with the car, he found that the only reason the car wouldn't start is because it was in neutral gear. To figure that out, he would have had to at least look into the car towards the gear shift. It seems reasonable that his gaze might have passed over the centre console.

I've owned several SUV's over the years from Ford to Volvo. The best I've been able to do from inside the vehicle is to pop the tailgate window open. Once the window is unlocked/open, one can engage the door latch located on the exterior. But I've never owned a Honda CRV.
One of my family members had a 2009 and a more recent model year CRV. The latch to open it from the outside is down near the bumper, they are motorized or whatnot, and the windows are much higher, and don’t open. So I could see how getting out through the back would be near impossible for most people.

I don't really understand why Kiely's body being in the back of the car is being pushed as evidence of foul play. What's the theory exactly? That there was an OD or a homicide and then someone tried to cover it up and make it look like an accident? Why in the world would they put her body in the very back of the car in that case?

The fact that she was found without her seatbelt in the back of the car seems way more consistent with someone trying to escape a car sinking nose first than with any foul play scenario I can think of.
it's because the car when found by AWP was upside down and so the chances of body floating between the gap of front seats till back seats wherein there were headrests too appear low. It might have been possible that KR's body had some gases that made her float but it couldn't reach the back of car since bending was needed. Moreover lets say she was trying to escape. She figured out that she had hit the water and her car was submerging and she had to get out. The front window was broken from what is being said so considering the back window being open half way down she might have tried to escape for there and not going all the way back.
JMO

One of my family members had a 2009 and a more recent model year CRV. The latch to open it from the outside is down near the bumper, they are motorized or whatnot, and the windows are much higher, and don’t open. So I could see how getting out through the back would be near impossible for most people.
Speaking of the car hatches, etc...

Early days, SS described K's car as having a sun roof, too
but didn't mention if it was opened that evening.

All American dream chaser
https: //www.youtube.com /watch?v=XBWodApjikE

Last edited:
Judging from the amount of people, trucks and vehicles when her car was towed out, there were already plenty of authorities there. They must've been there to supervise, as AWP only do the finding of cars and towing out - so LE, police, sheriff, FBI (depending on location and the type of case) need to be there to take over from AWP as soon as the car/body is removed.
AWP found the vehicle and then surfaced to notify LE. LE does the recovery of the vehicle and its contents. Those are LE divers you see when the car emerges from the lake. AWP would never move, recover, or disturb human remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025