Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, when they found her....the water was high, but iirc, Curiosa2O please help me out,
at the time of the party, the water was low because they always drained it the week of party every year for decades.. Maybe it was ingrained in the culture that when the rez was being drained, you could drive on the beach but SINCE it is being drained, the current is way stronger so right by that shallow edge you have deep, strong current pulling you towards the Dam..even if your car does sink into silted edge before being pulled deeper. So the very shallow edge of the water could still have a magnetic pull towards the direction of the Dam.
Curiosa maybe Jade can also look at this and see if it makes sense.

It's not the mission of LE to create a crime where none happened; it's their job to look at all the evidence and determine whether a crime occurred, and if so, to gather evidence, find the perpetrator, and help get them prosecuted. I have every reason to believe they are doing their jobs (with a hiccup here or there) and that the truth will come to light, one way or the other.
Right, it's LE's job to gather and collect ALL the evidence before determining a manner and cause of death. They didn't properly seal the car windows, and evidence was washed away. Then they failed to return to the scene after KR's belongings were found left at the bottom of Prosser. I'm afraid that if there was in fact foul play, the evidence from her car wasn't properly handled making it even more difficult to sort out what happened for investigators.

I'm still looking and analyzing the evidence that is available, but I know there's so much more we aren't privy to. I do believe Nick's story. I don't think he would get anything out of lying about it. I think he did tell LE, and after he didn't hear any response he sought out AWP when he found out they were coming to help. If LE possibly dismissed Nick's tip, how many other tips did they overlook?

I don't think KR ever got on her route home. The Truly can still in her car plus the rolling papers bug me, because most everyone knows to throw that away before driving in case you get pulled over. Even if she was totally trashed, I don't think she would drive with an open container home. I know drunk drivers do it all the time, but that with the window down half way on a cold night in Tahoe doesn't sound right either. Remember, I lived in SLT. It's frigid at night, even in the summer at times.

Took a deep dive, pun intended, fascinated by Curiosa and Jade, to try to understand the beach and shallow area as it corresponds to the current, the deep dropoff right there, etc and the twice yearly partial draining and then refilling of prosser rez. It happens coincidentally with the drowning and then recovery of KR, lost during that exact draining and refilling period.

The current changes when they do that and gets stronger, pulling everything towards the dam, including the plentiful trout. She could have been actually just trying to turn around and her back wheels went just deep enough for the current to pull her in. MOO

Everything kinds of organically flows together, because Fishing guy says the trout being pulled towards the dam during the drain and almost corraled in the deep end makes for good fishing, and good fishing means people might see you dumping a car into the lake they are about to fish in...night fishing.
They do notice when something is disrupting their catch. JMOO

Last edited:
This case really got me shook. I had to step away for awhile because I couldn't delete my own rage-posts fast enough :/ The frenzy over AWP and the ensuing pain to the family became just way too much; out of respect for the Rodni family I tuned out for awhile. But I'll weigh in (again) on why I think (MOO) Roadside Nick's sighting is bogus and why I am still firmly in the camp of "tragic accident until I see evidence to the contrary."

AWP claimed in their interview that they confirmed the roadside call took place (I'd like to know how). They also claimed that it was confirmed to be KRs car, and also that Roadside Nick's company furnished dash cam video of the RA call to LE. They have not seen the video; they only "confirmed" it took place. My question is this:

If LE received footage that was relevant to KR's disappearance (I.e., her whole *advertiser censored** car!), why then did they never update their published timeline once any “footage” reached them? Remember, there was a furious ACTIVE search for KR at the time that Roadside Nick would have sounded the alarm and his company would have submitted that footage to LE. If that footage was of KRs car, why on earth would LE not have asked the public once again for tips from folks who may have seen the car at Prosser on that Saturday?

This can mean:

A) LE never received any footage because it was never actually submitted (my #1 theory here);
B) LE received but just sloppily never reviewed the footage (really?);
C) LE reviewed the footage but determined it was not KR’s car and was irrelevant to the case (my #2 theory here);
D) LE received and reviewed bombshell footage of KRs car, but decided not to tell the public that new information had come to light that changed the timeline, and that KR's car was in fact seen the day after KR's disappearance. This would also mean that KR's car was somehow hidden in the reservoir after this fact with no other folks seeing it, despite the presence of searchers etc. in the area (this is just preposterous, IMO, as someone who knows that area--there are campers and swimmers, etc. Not possible.).

In case of D, the car's EDR (car equivalent of a black box, discussed ad nauseam on these threads) will provide data about when it went into the reservoir IF the engine was running when it happened; it will also provide data about the occupancy of the seat(s), speed, gear, etc. The MAIT report will include this information, and will hopefully be available to the public under a FOIA request.

Also, why did AWP edit their original released video wherein it was said that Roadside Nick's gf confirmed that is was definitely that Saturday when Nick called to tell her about the weird RA call, because it was her grandfather's birthday, so she remembered the day? AWP published that in their initial release of the video, and then edited that out. Why?

I really believe that footage just doesn’t exist, or, if it does, it is completely irrelevant to this case. While some folks have attempted to paint the NCSO as incompetent fools, I've observed them sticking to facts, looking after the victims in the case (KR and her family), playing this case close to the vest, and absolutely following procedure. Missing locating a car in a reservoir is hardly evidence that this LE agency is somehow not doing their job properly; cars are notoriously hard to find in water (just ask AWP, they're in the very business of finding cars in water that LE all over the country, in multiple cases, have previously missed; this is not unique to NCSO, and IMO should not be used to impugn and impeach their professionalism). And yet at every turn, certain folks have used this as an opportunity to disparage LE. Did they fail to dive after the FBI extracted the car? Yeah, that's a drag. But my guess is that the mountain of evidence they have (that we do not) is already pointing toward a solo accident, so they didn't feel the need to press a criminal angle.

The FBI processed the car. LE *already have* autopsy results (and probably already have tox screen results as well). They *already know* if there's evidence of SA. They *know* exactly where she was found in the car, and whether her position in the car was consistent with where drivers are found after driving into lakes. They *know* whether she was tied in to the car. They know so much more than we do. They *may* be able to say that so far there isn't evidence of a crime having been committed beyond that of (possibly) impaired driving.

It's not the mission of LE to create a crime where none happened; it's their job to look at all the evidence and determine whether a crime occurred, and if so, to gather evidence, find the perpetrator, and help get them prosecuted. I have every reason to believe they are doing their jobs (with a hiccup here or there) and that the truth will come to light, one way or the other. I fully expect them to rule this a tragic accident, based solely on how LE have behaved since the evidence began pouring in after KR was found.

All amateur speculation and MOO.

Edited for a typo.
Thank you so much.

AND the strong current could have flipped the car over, not a scientist.

From almost the moment KR was found, her Mom has had a sad, peaceful acceptance.
Except for the message she sent awp but that had nothing to do with acceptance.
JMOO, she isnt like some of the mothers we see time and time again demanding justice
because of foul play. Yes, everyone grieves differently. She may have been briefed by LE on things we dont know and never will.

Her anger and grievances were with HOW the discovery of her daughter was treated. We havent read anything about her demanding or even asking LE for answers concerning foul play, instead we saw her at KR memorial service hugging SS and friends.

JMOO, after KR was found, and Mom knew it was not abduction, she accepted accident theory. MOO, JMOO, IMHO. She even stated she wanted public to leave her and her family alone. If she thought foul play, she would be saying please come forward.
If she is doing so, I would welcome any links.
I agree. Of those directly involved in this tragic case, IMO, only the family has comported themselves in an exemplary manner. For the other parties—the teenage witnesses prior to disappearance, LE search, AWP and LE recovery—and also including those of us peering in from the outside—the MSM and SM—I can easily offer a defense for less-than-stellar behavior.
But there is one detail I can not shake from my craw. It concerns the recovery of the laptop. Unlike the family, we are not privy to the inventory of what was recovered with the vehicle over four weeks ago and prolly assumed the laptop was within the CR-V.
It would seem, however, that the family would have known the laptop was still unaccounted for soon after the recovery.
(My excuse for LE of a shoddy recovery: Maybe, after an exhaustive four-week search involving hundreds of personnel and thousands of hours, with the search scaled back drastically the day before of only several officers on air patrol, many LE folks were on R-and-R outta town and we had the ‘B’ team that Sunday afternoon). Perhaps of little evidentiary value, the laptop would seem to be of tremendous sentimental value (one undiscovered photo, another song riff…).
Yet the laptop remained in the benthos of a receding Prosser to be discovered two weeks later by a U-tuber without a peep from the family to LE to maybe take a second look?
To me, that indicates the family just wants this investigation to be over. Sadly, they realize KR is not coming home. Whatever happened at Prosser was tragic and final and they don’t want their lovely daughter dragged through any more mud.

OK this might freak some people out! why the fishing report, I keep bringing up.
please read it upthread. Guy is fishing in prosser lake AND Kiely is in there but he doesnt know it. At the end of his report, it says, please bring Kiely home.
Now, this is where I say, no way these kids masterminded a plot to dump their friends body in a car on a lake where this dude was reporting on every trout above 12 inches. They *advertiser censored*% knew better. just no.

There were swimmers in Prosser and families at the campground while she was still underwater.

The only reason I can see them not needing the laptop, or the phone really, is if they have everything already on the cloud.

I've had the thought for some time now that KR laid down in the back possibly the hatch was open and her and others were sitting hanging out, drinking and maybe she just passed out and SS or someone else thought it'd Funny to park her car with her in it somewhere else so she'd wake up and be like wtf? But maybe they accidentally drove it in the water because they were messed up to, and climbed out and left her behind. Or parked it close to water and it accidentally rolled in. OR EVEN MAYBE she did get into a fight with someone, and said person broke her window out and KR drove off and accidentally drove in the water??

But then, I start thinking about all of the OTHER odd details and things that have been said about that night or about the people involved and I don't know what to think. Are these odd buts of information just conicidences? Or the truth to some of it? There's so many twists and turns to this case.
Exactly what I have been speculating for some time now, so I’m glad to hear similar thoughts. And nothing against Gen Z, because I absolutely adore them as a whole—but the ruthless tendencies are alive and well, in my opinion. I also considered that she took a nap in the backseat and not the hatch (after learning it it pretty tiny)—which actually could line up with multiple other details that we know to be true?

There were swimmers in Prosser and families at the campground while she was still underwater.

The only reason I can see them not needing the laptop, or the phone really, is if they have everything already on the cloud.
yes, I agree.really, her laptop should not come into play. because that is well, um, seriously no ones business but her mom and dads. just wondering...does it really matter the things leading up to a tragic accident% because it seems like every time its like, well, people could have behaved better but in the end they are not held legally responsible yatatayata.

Last edited:
yes, I agree.really, her laptop should not come into play. because that is well, um, seriously no ones business but her mom and dads. just wondering...does it really matter the things leading up to a tragic accident% because it seems like every time its like, well, people could have behaved better but in the end they are not held legally responsible yatatayata.
Depends. Most of partying discussion has centered around Truly and ganga (and maybe a little blow?), or same as it was 50 years ago, thus somewhat tolerated (though I would object to Truckee being a party-HQ outlier, seems pretty typical). Fentanyl is another matter. Any tox reporting ‘F’ will result in a criminal investigation, particularly since KR’s Placer Co. DA (not the lead investigative agency, though sharing many commonalities with neighboring Nevada Co.) has inserted himself into this national debate.
Even the ‘sketchy, older guys’ would prolly not know how to cleanly handle an OD.

Right, it's LE's job to gather and collect ALL the evidence before determining a manner and cause of death. They didn't properly seal the car windows, and evidence was washed away. Then they failed to return to the scene after KR's belongings were found left at the bottom of Prosser. I'm afraid that if there was in fact foul play, the evidence from her car wasn't properly handled making it even more difficult to sort out what happened for investigators.

I'm still looking and analyzing the evidence that is available, but I know there's so much more we aren't privy to. I do believe Nick's story. I don't think he would get anything out of lying about it. I think he did tell LE, and after he didn't hear any response he sought out AWP when he found out they were coming to help. If LE possibly dismissed Nick's tip, how many other tips did they overlook?

I don't think KR ever got on her route home. The Truly can still in her car plus the rolling papers bug me, because most everyone knows to throw that away before driving in case you get pulled over. Even if she was totally trashed, I don't think she would drive with an open container home. I know drunk drivers do it all the time, but that with the window down half way on a cold night in Tahoe doesn't sound right either. Remember, I lived in SLT. It's frigid at night, even in the summer at times.
My Spidey sense says that a dude who’s an admitted superfan of AWP, who comes with an unverified (by LE) story that promotes a whole lot of fodder for viral AWP posts, is more likely to be false than true.

I never lived in SLT, but have spent a great many nights in the vicinity all year round, having lived temporarily at Incline. Similar climate. I’m Bay Area-based now, but know the Truckee area fairly well.

From almost the moment KR was found, her Mom has had a sad, peaceful acceptance.
Except for the message she sent awp but that had nothing to do with acceptance.
JMOO, she isnt like some of the mothers we see time and time again demanding justice
because of foul play. Yes, everyone grieves differently. She may have been briefed by LE on things we dont know and never will.

Her anger and grievances were with HOW the discovery of her daughter was treated. We havent read anything about her demanding or even asking LE for answers concerning foul play, instead we saw her at KR memorial service hugging SS and friends.

JMOO, after KR was found, and Mom knew it was not abduction, she accepted accident theory. MOO, JMOO, IMHO. She even stated she wanted public to leave her and her family alone. If she thought foul play, she would be saying please come forward.
If she is doing so, I would welcome any links.

Beautifully said, IMO. Thank you. I feel like a grieving mom (LR-N) would be first up to demand Justice if there were a criminal angle to follow.
We saw KRs dad becoming agitated in video on the shore of Prosser, but that was largely due to the info AWP was furnishing him <modsnip>

I hope someday this family and community find peace and progress, and that anyone with any kind of culpability sees Justice served. I also hope the youngsters do a lot of growing over this tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, when they found her....the water was high, but iirc, Curiosa2O please help me out,
at the time of the party, the water was low because they always drained it the week of party every year for decades.. Maybe it was ingrained in the culture that when the rez was being drained, you could drive on the beach but SINCE it is being drained, the current is way stronger so right by that shallow edge you have deep, strong current pulling you towards the Dam..even if your car does sink into silted edge before being pulled deeper. So the very shallow edge of the water could still have a magnetic pull towards the direction of the Dam.
Curiosa maybe Jade can also look at this and see if it makes sense.

I’m confused now. Everything I’ve read has stated the water level was lower at Prosser when KR was found and higher at the time of the party. Your statement is opposite of that, from what I can decipher ? There are multiple references in MSM that the the water level was LOWER when she was found, but please share if you have a source that “when they found her, the water was high… at the time of the party the water was low because they drained it the week of the party”

Thanks.

Last edited:

OK, so again I have to respectfully disagree. A laptop found at a potential crime scene can definitely have evidentiary value and should come into play— with investigation by law enforcement, even before her family. In my opinion.

Last edited:
from my understanding of the report they had drained the reservoir around first week of August and then refilled in first week of Sept. let me go back and check. I know the water was low but then people kept saying, the water was high when she was found. so Ill go get the reort again and ost it.

OK, thanks. Here is just one MSM article confirming water level was lower when KR was found:

“Brown also noted among changed conditions the reservoir’s water level has dropped as much as 4 feet (1.2 meters) since Aug. 6.”

OK, thanks. Here is just one MSM article confirming water level was lower when KR was found:

“Brown also noted among changed conditions the reservoir’s water level has dropped as much as 4 feet (1.2 meters) since Aug. 6.”

thanks, as you see I corrected it and also by confirming my correctiion, it corrects other posts on here that say she was found when the water was high. But, they were already draining it before they started the Aug draining the week she went missing. Its in the report below that I linked. My theory had nothing to do with filling it back up but that it was at a very low level, easier to drive on the beach, and the current was stronger and drawing everything towards the dam when her car went in the lake.

Reactions: IDK

Thanks for posting—This is from February 1996?

Multiple MSM reports say there was LESS beach area the night of the party— think about it—When water levels are higher the beach area would shrink. Lower water leads to more beach.

Just saying, for the sake of accuracy and for people new to the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member