GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops...duh...don't know how I got that. More like 800 something. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for straightening that out Hejlena as I'm bouncing around on 3-4 threads today so I wasn't sure if it was my mistake and I was reading along on the wrong thread (again) :scared:

nowadays forensics is also able to locate "touch" DNA although the science is still new, I have seen it coming up more frequently in cases in the last year.

Fingerprints could indicate anything. The 12 year old apparently saw the intruder in the home. Possibly saw him touching an item or items such as a specific door used to exit. Suspect is not reported to have been wearing gloves so likely LE got fingerprints from point of access or egress of home.

I hope he dropped the knife and left it behind, but only time will tell.

http://www.newenglandinnocence.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ACSR-Touch-DNA-Paper-Williamson.pdf

Thank you for this link providing information regarding touch (contact or wearer) DNA...

If the home forcibly entered... Then the areas surrounding the forced entry may provide the richest source of touch DNA... Since those areas may not be "contaminated" with the various, multiple DNA of the family members/friends...

In other words... Trying to isolate the perp's touch DNA seems daunting... Yet this is one way that may be helpful to LE...

JMO

If the home was forced entry that could be good as maybe he broke glass in a side window to unlock door. Sadly I think it will be revealed that a door or access point was not locked :( Many people, when at home during a midday on a weekend feel comfortable enough to leave their doors unlocked.

But then again, I guess it could explain why LE asked citizens to report people with unexplained injuries.

And the knife would have been found, if it happened that way. I think the intruder took it with him. JMO

We actually don't know that they didn't find a knife.
(Unless I missed it which is certainly possible.)

Have they asked the public to watch for one?
I was hoping that the perp dropped it in the hurry to escape...

I suspect DNA is from touch DNA or perhaps the idiot ate or drank something while in the home. It is surprising how many burglars seem to do that while in what they perceive to be an empty home.

The possibly injured thing puzzles me but initially I thought it was because intruder was reported as having blood on him, so LE were erring on the side of caution, not knowing for sure whose blood it was or if multiple donors.

In my (limited) understanding of using knives as weapons... The knife gets slippery from blood/sweat... And the knife wielder often ends up slicing his/her own hands in the process...

Just some thoughts...

Nope,no word on whether LE found the knife, whether perp arrived with it or just grabbed one already in the home as his weapon or if the neighbor and thus unidentified other witness who described him say he had one when they saw him.

In my (limited) understanding of using knives as weapons... The knife gets slippery from blood/sweat... And the knife wielder often ends up slicing his/her own hands in the process...

Just some thoughts...

yep, this is also my understanding. I think we will have a better idea of what is what as more info is released in coming days. Hope so anyway.

Am I confusing threads or wasn't there a report of a peeping tom in the neighborhood earlier?

ETA nope that was someone talking about the Stockton peeping tom.

I heard on the radio this morning (KFI, Los Angeles) that the searchers in Valley Springs have dogs searching with them, as well.

(I had wondered about this.)

Thinking about the suspect. He may have had injuries. He probably would have had blood on his clothing, more blood than any injury he might have sustained. Possible clothing tears.

May have started acting paranoid esp when LE is around. Could either be very interested in the investigation or be professing absolutely/pointedly no interest in the investigation. May have appeared overstimulated/hyperactive on Sat.

Anything else anyone can think of?

midday home burglaries.

in the last six months within the one block area of my own home

two separate houses broken into twice each. One has SAHM who literally was gone 20 minutes, she dropped kids off at school (two blocks away) and ran down to the convenience store (three blocks further) then home. All electronics gone.

Two weeks later, went to pick kids up from school, spent 10 minutes outside waiting for the release bell and then home. All the items they had replaced with brand new ones were gone.

The other house working mom, teen boys home after school hours. also robbed twice, first time stole electronic devices and second returned to steal the replacements.

Thank goodness for my large visible from the street vocal intimidating dogs. I highly doubt a thief would choose our home. But man, this story just really upsets me.

But the break-ins in your post happened during the week. Those aren't unusual. This break-in happened at noon on a Saturday which is harder for me to wrap my head around. This is why I don't think it was your "typical" burglar.

I also think that the Michael/Stephanie Crowe case is important here for another reason.

This is a case we should ALL read about before jumping to conclusions about Leila's brother. :twocents:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/oct/01/tuite-set-new-trial-crowe-killing/

First of all, I did make sure that Stephanie's killer IS still incarcerated awaiting his new trial.
He shows up on Vinelink as IN CUSTODY.

Michael Crowe was 14 years old when he found his sister stabbed to death in her bedroom.
HE was the prime suspect and was charged with the crime along with two friends.
Despite ZERO physical evidence tying any of them to the crime.

DESPITE the fact that there had been an identified lurker/peeping tom in the area...
Police concluded it was an "inside job" and dismissed that peeping tom as a suspect.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/may/22/michael-crowe-found-factually-innocent-sisters-mur/

The defense had to test that peeping tom's sweatshirt and found Stephanie's blood on it.

Only then were the kids released and a decade LATER declared INNOCENT.

I'm going with the intruder (though that is more terrifying for the public) until I see PROOF otherwise. :twocents:

Am I confusing threads or wasn't there a report of a peeping tom in the neighborhood earlier?

you are not confused. Although the peeping tom info was not contained in an article but rather the comments beneath I think. I would point you to the article but cannot recall which

HTH

But the break-ins in your post happened during the week. Those aren't unusual. This break-in happened at noon on a Saturday which is harder for me to wrap my head around. This is why I don't think it was your "typical" burglar.

I think he had seen this child and knew she lived there. Maybe he thought the family would be distracted since it was in the middle of the day.

He was probably going to take her out of the home and she fought him and then he stabbed her to death.

My heart breaks for her brother who will never get over seeing the man that murdered his sister. How will that family ever feel safe again?

It use to be that home invasions were done in darkness but now the perps MOs seem to have changed. More and more we are seeing crimes happen right in broad daylight. Even robberies of businesses are no longer done late at night when the business is closing up. It seems the perps are hitting more in the mid mornings or midday.

I hope and pray they found this monster soon. No family is safe anywhere until he is caught.

IMO

I also think that the Michael/Stephanie Crowe case is important here for another reason.

This is a case we should ALL read about before jumping to conclusions about Leila's brother. :twocents:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/oct/01/tuite-set-new-trial-crowe-killing/

First of all, I did make sure that Stephanie's killer IS still incarcerated awaiting his new trial.
He shows up on Vinelink as IN CUSTODY.

Michael Crowe was 14 years old when he found his sister stabbed to death in her bedroom.
HE was the prime suspect and was charged with the crime along with two friends.
Despite ZERO physical evidence tying any of them to the crime.

DESPITE the fact that there had been an identified lurker/peeping tom in the area...
Police concluded it was an "inside job" and dismissed that peeping tom as a suspect.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/may/22/michael-crowe-found-factually-innocent-sisters-mur/

The defense had to test that peeping tom's sweatshirt and found Stephanie's blood on it.

Only then were the kids released and a decade LATER declared INNOCENT.

I'm going with the intruder (though that is more terrifying for the public) until I see PROOF otherwise. :twocents:

Great point!

From the beginning I thought it was an intruder and the police also believe it.

I think some of us don't like to think that some stranger can come into our home when we least expect it. They can have intentions to either murder the child inside the home or take them out to be raped and murdered and sometimes the child is never found or their bodies.

I think it happens more than some would like to think and this is why a lot of these children remain missing and never found if the perp took them from their home.

IMO

Sheriff's Office press release

Homicide Investigation Release Number 5
Release Date: April 29, 2013
Time: 1130 Hrs
Release Number: #5

Homicide Investigation Involving Child Victim in Valley Springs

Update: 11:30 am

The Sheriff’s Office has no new significant information to report.

The California Attorney General along with the California Department of Justice contacted the Sheriff’s Office and offered their support. They have prioritized the processing of the evidence taken in this case.

There is no further information at this time.

Unless there is a significant development in this case, there will be no press conference or additional media release until late this afternoon or evening.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4994433/

ITA. It reminds me of the Michael Crowe case (what was his sister's name?? I feel guilty and stupid that I can't remember!!). Just a freak thing, it's so rare for an unknown person to break in and just kill someone.

Thank you for this reference! I thought of the exact same case and couldn't remember the name. Bizarre and random MO, just like the Michael Crowe case, which turned out to be a drifter high on drugs who killed his sister.

Two witnesses reported seeing a man in blue jeans and a dark shirt running away from the home. The description reportedly matches the description given by Leila’s brother.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...for-calaveras-county-girls-killer/?hpt=ju_bn6

this third witness. wish I knew if it was another neighbor or how this third person happened to see the perp running away. The above makes it sound as if it was a second person from outside the home who is not a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon