GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me to understand- is it standard procedure to execute a search warrant to search her home for evidence in a case like this? I always thought that warrants were issued only to cover LE's arse legally- ie, if the family allows the search, no need for a warrant. But maybe I am totally wrong- just asking for those who might know.

I know this has probably already been answered for you but I thought I would reply in case it hasn't. I'm just coming on line to read the updates.

Yes, it is very common to get an official SW on the home where the crime took place. One day hopefully the perp will be caught and brought to trial. So LE always does it by the book so that all the evidence taken from the home cannot be refuted by the defense attorney by saying there was no official SW of the home and complaining there was no official chain of custody.

In every case I have read about where someone is found murdered in the home a SW was obtained. In fact even with missing children whether they went missing inside or outside the home they lived in it is also searched with a SW like Jessica Ridgeway's home was.

I am sure the family did agree to have them search anything they wanted to in order to find out who did this to their beautiful daughter but it is far better to have a Judge sign off on an official SW than searching the home with permission only.

IMO

Detectives quiz sex offenders in hunt for California girl's killer

Valley Springs, California (CNN) -- Investigators interviewed registered sex offenders in the Northern California community where an 8-year-old girl was stabbed to death, but officials won't say if sexual assault is part of the unsolved crime.....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/us/california-stabbing-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

He may have been watching the home (or like Elizabeth Smart's case had been in the home) and knew who lived there. Why he wanted to kill her, who knows.

One scenario could be racial. Have they said if the suspect is of a different race than Leila? We had an 8-yr-old boy killed in our neighborhood years ago by a man walking down the street, supposedly looking for a white child to kill.

http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=22371

Also, my inlaws' best friends were killed because the perp thought they were Jewish. Someone came in Christmas Eve and stabbed their entire family to death, including the children. Horrific.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=3577
http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/rice-david-lewis.

I'm not trying to cause any issues by bringing up the racial/religious angle, but the perp may have targeted Leila for some reason - one that is unknown to anyone at the moment, unless he entered the home for a robbery but saw her and started attacking her.

My heart breaks for Leila's family.

I thought perhaps he saw her alone in her room and was going to go in and remove her from her home so he could rape her or rape her right there in the room but Leila fought him and he killed her right there to shut her up and so she couldn't ID him.

What he didn't plan on was the brother seeing him. Thank God for that and thank God he did not attack her brother with the knife or this family could have two children dead.

IMO

Thank you for this video.

Maybe its me, still getting my fix of caffeine, is it normal for the parents of a murdered child to attend a presser. Usually a missing child, but not a murdered child. idk I need more coffee.

I have seen grieving family members of murdered children be at PCs before.

IMO

I believe they said she was targeted. They didn't say what she was targeted for.
Just like the say they have checked all local sex offenders, but they aren't saying she was sexually assaulted. Just that it is routine.

Most pedophiles are known to target their victims beforehand. I believe Joseph Duncan scoped Shasta and Dylan out for a couple of days before he went in to kidnap them and later on murdered Dylan after repeatedly raping and torturing them for weeks on end.

From what I have looked up online, a search warrant is not needed when the property owner/owners consent to search. I have no idea if Fowlers were renting or not. It all has to do with CONSENT. If the family gives them consent, they can search without warrant. I don't know what to make of this currently. Suspecting a family member would be a valid reason.

Just my thoughts on gaining a search warrant in this case...

I believe that LE may search a house with consent of owners...

but in this litigious world... I imagine they prefer to obtain a search warrant for anything that may come back to haunt them later... (Note: This is not implying anything about this family in particular)...

Additionally... I imagine computers/electronic devices will need to be thoroughly searched to see if there was any indication of online stalking/etc. leading up to this horrible event...

when getting into the area of personal computers/phones... Maybe LE needs a search warrant...

Just my own thoughts...

Didn't Tommy Sells also break into a home just to stab two girls? I think one died and one survived. No real motive other than wanting to kill if I remember correctly.

I think so. Serial killer Sells also broke into Julia Lea Harper's home and murdered her little boy Joel simply because he felt she had been rude to him in a store that day.

(Julia was charged, convicted, and imprisoned for Joel's murder, although she proclaimed her innocence and told how she chased Sells out of the house. He attacked her too. Years later, he confessed to Joel's murder, and Julia was finally exonerated and released. It's quite a story of a family member falsely convicted of a horrible crime they didn't commit.)

Any idea when they expect DNA to come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most pedophiles are known to target their victims beforehand. I believe Joseph Duncan scoped Shasta and Dylan out for a couple of days before he went in to kidnap them and later on murdered Dylan after repeatedly raping and torturing them for weeks on end.

Yes, Joseph Duncan traveled through several states, going to remote towns, hunting for a child to rape and kill. He finally settled on Shasta and Dylan, who he saw playing in their little swimming pool. He checked into the campground next to their home, and for several days, stalked their home, using night vision glasses. Then he broke into their home, killed their mom, brother, and stepfather, and abducted Shasta and Dylan.

Another horrible case.

Any idea when they expect DNA to come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can get initial DNA results back in as little 48 to 72 hours if they put a rush on it, and that's when they start running it against DNA on file. I think they probably did put a rush on this one because of the danger to other children.

Austin Sigg's DNA came back the day after he was arrested. I think it had been 5 or maybe 7 days earlier. They had a lot of DNA to rush. If he hadn't confessed the day he did, they would have had him within a few days anyway when they processed the match. Personally I believe he confessed because he knew it was going to identify him, and thought it might help him to come forward.

Sigg is another one I believe was out trolling for a child to kill. There are so many of them.

:twocents:

They can get initial DNA results back in as little 48 to 72 hours if they put a rush on it, and that's when they start running it against DNA on file. I think they probably did put a rush on this one because of the danger to other children.

Austin Sigg's DNA came back the day after he was arrested. I think it had been 5 or maybe 7 days earlier. They had a lot of DNA to rush. If he hadn't confessed the day he did, they would have had him within a few days anyway when they processed the match. Personally I believe he confessed because he knew it was going to identify him, and thought it might help him to come forward.

Sigg is another one I believe was out trolling for a child to kill. There are so many of them.

:twocents:

bbm

So senseless... :cry:

okay, I am now confused.

so according to this LE says it appears the intruder intended to attack the little girl, and this does not appear to be a botched robbery or other crime gone awry. from this link http://www.modbee.com/2013/04/29/2693050/sheriff-says-intruder-intended.html#storylink=cpy

but from the presser during the Q and A a reporter asks if LE believes this was random and the officer says "we don't know, that is still part of the investigation. Investigation has taken a number of different avenues and we don't want to give any one part of the investigation lighter than any other . . ." [paraphrased]

in response to Q "how much concern should the public have that this person could strike again?" A "Do we fear? No. Are we concerned - absolutely that is why we have staffed up accordingly . . "

As to their request about negative comments, I think they are making a huge mistake and reading online. Every article I have read there are the usual "where were the parents?" "Look at the son" "this story stinks, the 12 year old did it"

I think those sorts of comments are what they are reading and find negative.

okay, I am now confused.

so the intruder intended to attack the little girl, and this does not appear to be a botched robbery or other crime gone awry. from this link http://www.modbee.com/2013/04/29/2693050/sheriff-says-intruder-intended.html#storylink=cpy

but from the presser during the Q and A a reporter asks if LE believes this was random and the officer says "we don't know, that is still part of the investigation. Investigation has taken a number of different avenues and we don't want to give any one part of the investigation lighter than any other . . ." [paraphrased]

in response to Q "how much concern should the public have that this person could strike again?" A "Do we fear? No. Are we concerned - absolutely that is why we have staffed up accordingly . . "

As to their request about negative comments, I think they are making a huge mistake and reading online. Every article I have read there are the usual "where were the parents?" "Look at the son" "this story stinks, the 12 year old did it"

I think those sorts of comments are what they are reading and find negative.

Tlcya, respectfully, if I may. The part I bolded above appears to be a copy/paste error.

Here's what I see in the linked article -

Kuntz said it appears that the intruder intended to attack the girl, and that the incident was not a botched robbery or other crime gone wrong.

http://www.modbee.com/2013/04/29/26...der-intended.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

I wanted to point it out because "appears the intruder" sounds less definitive to me that "so the intruder".

point taken, edit made.

LE: it appears she was targeted and this was not a botched robbery or other crime

LE: we don't know if it was random.

Still confusion for me because those two are mutually exclusive in my mind and so it sort of boils down to them cancelling each other for me. MOO LE has no clue as to motive and we are getting LEO speak for that.

both statements hit the press same day. first the first, then the second at the presser.

I wonder what type of DNA was obtained, too...

Usually when a victim is stabbed the perpetrator will also cut themselves because the knife becomes slippery from the blood of the victim.

Didn't LE say to watch for anyone that may have injuries?

point taken, edit made.

LE: it appears she was targeted and this was not a botched robbery or other crime

LE: we don't know if it was random.

Still confusion for me because those two are mutually exclusive in my mind and so it sort of boils down to them cancelling each other for me. MOO LE has no clue as to motive and we are getting LEO speak for that.

both statements hit the press same day. first the first, then the second at the presser.

They believe she was targeted (imo by a pedophile) but they do not know if he randomly selected her or had been watching her beforehand.

IMO

Thoughts on the man approaching reporters at the presser who were telling them he picked up a bloody guy on the side of the road and gave him a ride and who claims at the time he did so he did not know there had been a stabbing?

My own:

Knowing there had been a stabbing or not, who picks up a strange bloody man from the side of the road and gives him a ride??

Supposing he did, why is he randomly showing up at the presser telling his tale to every reporter within earshot and not at police station giving a report about this "sighting"?

odd

You know what? Looking at that article it appears that that Sheriff statement was supposed to have come from the news conference last night. I just watched the video again - twice - and the Sheriff said no such thing. I think the Modesto Bee got it wrong. They seem to be the first place that said that.

I'm going out for a while. When I get back I'll research it some more.

thanks Cheese, glad I am not the only one with questions about the sheriff's statement in the Modesto Bee. Because I watched the whole presser and I never saw any of that statement regarding targeting by him or anyone. I was wondering if that statement was given earlier in the day, but as you say, it is written in the article within other statements that I DID hear at that presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010