GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard last nights presser. Did I hear LE say one witness saw a subject going in a different direction.. I'm going to listen to it again.

In the presser I noticed LE said about the witnesses that one witness was someone who came forward with info about something that happened a few days earlier. I wonder if that's laying-in-the-street-and-I-gave-him-a-ride guy, or if LITSAIGHAR guy is even considered one of the 3 witnesses.

Witness list

12 year old brother of victim

neighbor who spotted man similar description running in the other direction (not sure what that other direction bit means. Obviously if he is running from the scene of his crime he is running in the "other" direction. Am I missing something key here?) IMO this is the neighbor who was initially reported as seeing the perp run from the home. Assuming LE means this witness did not see the perp exit the home but somewhere on or near the property, running away.

Third witness thus far unidentified by LE by name or role (neighbor/townsperson)

I think witness number three is bloody guy ride (BGR) and I do not think LE has vetted him yet. I think they are still checking into this one's story.

careful theforeigner. Not sure that sort of sleuthing is allowed on the parents they are considered victims.

careful theforeigner. Not sure that sort of sleuthing is allowed on the parents they are considered victims.

Exactly right. No sleuthing of the parents unless LE gives us reason too and so far, that has not happened.

Thanks everybody!

Salem

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...n-lockdown-as-killer-of-8-year-old-is-sought/

With the suspect still on the loose, some of the kids in this enclave nestled in the Sierra Nevada foothills were hunkering down after school at James Barci's ranch.

"Nobody is staying alone," said Barci, a truck driver and parent volunteer at Jenny Lind Elementary School, where victim Leila Fowler was a popular third-grader. "I told my work I'm not coming in, and I'm just going to have all of my kids' friends at the house until this is over."

The apparently random attack has the tightknit community on edge. Parents such as Barci spontaneously showed up Monday at the school of 500 students to give hugs or tie purple and pink ribbons -- Leila's favorite colors -- to trees on campus.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...n-lockdown-as-killer-of-8-year-old-is-sought/

Bless Mr. Barci for worrying about the kids. Sounds like a good guy.

My impression of the term LOCKDOWN is that it is a reporter term meant to convey that the community is being particularly cautious, as advised by LE and that everyone, citizen and LEO alike are on high alert, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Strange people, odd events, anything. Heightened awareness and caution = lockdown IMO

my thoughts keep turning to Leila's siblings, not just her brother, who is uppermost but also the others. I hope they are all surrounded by loving support as they absorb this loss.

Just so danged senseless. I never want to be in the parents shoes trying to cope, trying to continue to parent other kids, trying to help them through such a thing. Just completely overwhelming to contemplate.

Oh thanks, I have not seen any of those comments. I'm sure that's what they were talking then, I thought I'd read everything but I must have missed that. How awful.

Check out CNN....Made me sick with some of the comments made there. So glad WS doesn't allow that type of thing.

The Sheriff asked residents to shelter in place in Press Release #1

The Sheriff's Office is asking residents in the area to shelter in place, lock your doors, and report suspicious activity to the Sheriff's Office.

I just went back through the press releases I copy pasted here, and compared to the official press releases now posted on the website. The ones on the website are being deleted and edited. Most significantly, Press Release #2 is now deleted. It said

This suspect is considered armed and dangerous. Residents in the area are being advised via Reverse 911 and Nixle mass notification systems to lock their doors and report suspicious activity. If you see someone in the area matching the suspect’s description, report it immediately to the Sheriff’s Office and call 9-1-1.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA - Leila Fowler, 8, Fatally Stabbed in Valley Springs --Manhunt Underway!

No further currently posted press releases, other than the first one, are advising people to shelter in place or to lock their doors.

Link to website where Sheriff's press releases are posted
https://local.nixle.com/calaveras-county-sheriffs-office/

Alex Savidge ‏@AlexSavidge KTVU
Leila Fowler's home surrounded by crime scene tape this morning-8 yr old attacked here Sat, killer still loose. @ktvu pic.twitter.com/JfQdLcev7U

Elissa Harrington ‏@EHarringtonNews CBS San Francisco
Valley Springs - CCSO just re-secured house where 8-year-old Leila Fowler was stabbed. Home still a crime scene. pic.twitter.com/EEO1yF2zud

Thanks for the links!
No idea the house was so very close to the road or that at least one other house was so close by. Completely different that what I imagined.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

now CBS local station has picked up on the Modesto Bee quote from the sheriff and are reporting it as a fact that he said that at the presser!! Don't these people fact check??? I really am wondering if the sheriff ever said that at all. He did NOT do so at the presser last night. That much is a fact.

VALLEY SPRINGS (CBS/AP) – Authorities in Calaveras County say the slaying of an 8-year-old girl at her home does not appear to have stemmed from a botched robbery or other crime gone wrong.

According to the Modesto Bee, Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz said it appears the unknown intruder intended to attack Leila Fowler.

Kuntz spoke at a hastily called news conference on Monday night.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/04/29/search-continues-for-calaveras-county-girls-killer/

Also, our third blood covered ride giving witness is interviewed on camera. Claims the man was laying on the road near the Fowler home, had an injury to his leg and that his arm was bloody. Witness claims he could not see any scrapes (seems to be referring to blood on arm at this point). [note, as witness describes man's bloody arm he gestures with his right hand and rubs it along his left arm]

Witness is described by reporter as a "neighbor" and it takes place at approximately 2:50 of video at link.

Anyone know how long the parents were gone before the intruder entered the house?

WOW , like literal LOCKDOWN ? As in people cannot leave their home or as implied lockdown of everyone hyper aware and hyper vigilant about who's around the kids?

I think it's just media sensationalism, especially after the Boston manhunt. I think they just mean that people are on alert, ala what we heard about in the Jessica Ridgeway case. If people couldn't leave their homes, how would they go to work or school?

The local Public Radio station (I love public radio. I find it reliable.) had an interview with this reporter this morning, which I missed, but I found an article by him dated this morning.

There are numerous questions about this incident that have not been answered by the Sheriff’s Office. Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz said, “I just don’t know,” when asked for details on how Fowler was killed, why she may have been killed and details about the man who allegedly killed her.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_135af3fe-af98-11e2-a554-0019bb2963f4.html

Today's newsreport:

April 30, 2013 11:42 AM PrintText

Leila Fowler Murder: Rural Calif. community on lockdown as killer of 8-year-old is sought

Quote:

"The parents were at a Little League game at the time their daughter was attacked, Campbell said. Leila's brother found her and notified the father, who called 911 and went home, he said."

I´m not from US, so sorry f this is a dumb question:
but isen´t "Little League game" baseball played by children?
And if so, why was the parents at this childrens game without Leila and her 12 year old brother?
Is there additional siblings that was with the parents and/or playing in that Little League game that the parents was watching?

I remember when my kids were in little league, and often the older ones do not want to go and sit there ALLLL day.If you have two or more kids playing ln Little League, you may end up at the ball field from 9am until 4 pm. It is a long drawn out sport, and then you usually have to volunteer for some chores there as well. So maybe the kids did not want to go tho the ball field at that time.

The 12 yr old might have had his own game scheduled for later that day so he wanted to stay home and go later. JMO

She and her 12-year-old brother were home alone in separate rooms when a male intruder entered the house, according to Capt. Jim Macedo of the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office. Their parents were reportedly attending a Little League baseball game when the crime occurred.

It’s unclear exactly what transpired after the man came into the house, but the Sheriff’s Office said the boy caught a glimpse of him and, after the man fled, he found his sister with severe injuries from stab wounds. He called his parents, who then called 911

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_135af3fe-af98-11e2-a554-0019bb2963f4.html

Witness list

12 year old brother of victim

neighbor who spotted man similar description running in the other direction (not sure what that other direction bit means. Obviously if he is running from the scene of his crime he is running in the "other" direction. Am I missing something key here?) IMO this is the neighbor who was initially reported as seeing the perp run from the home. Assuming LE means this witness did not see the perp exit the home but somewhere on or near the property, running away.

Third witness thus far unidentified by LE by name or role (neighbor/townsperson)

I think witness number three is bloody guy ride (BGR) and I do not think LE has vetted him yet. I think they are still checking into this one's story.

I am wondering if witness #3 is someone who might have seen the perp in the immediate neighborhood BEFORE the killing. In one of the articles linked upthread, someone posted ' look at the comments.' And I looked at the comments, and someone posted about seeing a man casing the neighborhood and lurking about and he kind of matched the description given.

The Sheriff’s Office told neighborhood residents to stay alert and keep their doors locked. It is also requesting information about anyone who has left town unexpectedly since the crime or has unexplained injuries.

A quarter-mile perimeter has been roped off since Saturday, and only those with proof of residence within the perimeter are allowed to enter.

“We’re doing a house-to-house search,” Macedo said, “And in some cases, we’re searching extensively into attics and storage sheds. It is a difficult area to search. It’s rural, remote.”

Residents were told to stay behind locked doors while a search for the killer continued over the weekend and into Monday.

bloody stranger ride giving dude and his talking about a possible leg injury to perp makes me wonder if this is the reason LE asked for people to be on the lookout for folks with unexplained injuries or left the area suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876