GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lauretta Wanhala described the neighborhood as quiet and safe. “Ninety-five percent of the people here don’t lock their doors,” she said.

I'm thinking it was possible the door to the Fowler house was unlocked when the kids were home alone...

I wish we knew what Leila and her older brother had done earlier that day. I wonder becsause it seemed possible they had been at the ball field earlier. Maybe one of them had a game in the morning, then wanted to come back home while a sibling played their game.

Also, Isabel Celis, who is still missing, and reminds me of Leila, was last in public at the baseball game of her brother. And some have wondered if they were followed home from the field. Lots of creepers go watch kids at Little league fields. JMO

Photos: Authorities search home of slain Valley Springs girl

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...19994522/-/ifmmypz/-/index.html#ixzz2SBrovQpI

No windows towards the street. May be one of the reasons why the perp selected that house.

ValleySpringshomesearch7-jpg.jpg

OK-someone help me here.

So they have ruled out the guy who tried taking the baby. I would imagine they did that pretty quickly with the blood sample, right? So they MUST have something to compare it to , i.e. foreign DNA from the crime scene, correct??

So...wouldn't it follow that same DNA could have just as easily ruled out the family? Even if they have not taken samples from the family, I would imagine they could compare it to the victim and determine pretty quickly if the DNA is a close enough match to be a family member.

Except that it is a blended family so not everyone may be biologically related.

Michael Bott ‏@TweetBott10 KXTV
2nd witness in Valley Springs murder case is no longer credible, according to Calaveras Co. Sheriff's Dept. #News10

Update: Leila Fowler Homicide Investigation
MEDIA RELEASE

Release Date: 05/02/13
Release Number: 7

Update: Leila Fowler Homicide Investigation

(Valley Springs, CA) Calaveras County Sheriff’s Investigators have been in contact with the Fowler family and continue to make progress in the investigation into the murder of 8-year-old Leila Fowler. Evidence continues to be collected at the Fowler’s Valley Springs home.

On May 1, 2013 detectives and a composite sketch artist met with a witness in this case for the purposes of developing a composite sketch of the person seen running near the Fowler home. This witness had earlier provided a description of this person to investigators on two separate occasions. The witness had also stated that she saw the intruder running in the opposite direction from the direction that Leila’s 12 year brother had provided. During the composite sketch meeting the witness recanted her previous statements and her identification of the man she saw running. She also refused to provide a description to the sketch artist so that a composite could be completed. The witness’s description of the intruder was an important lead for investigators, but as of now it has become clear that this witness is no longer credible. Though this may seem like a setback in the investigation, it is actually a positive result in that it allows the investigators to narrow the scope of their investigation.

Investigators have received approximately 300 tips since the start of the investigation and continue to follow up on leads. Some of the leads that we have received have been investigated and excluded, which is allowing detectives to focus on other avenues.

Detectives continued to follow up on the City of Placerville Police Department’s arrest of a kidnapping suspect that occurred on April 30, 2013. On May 1, 2013 Calaveras Sheriff’s detectives went to Placerville to conduct interviews and find out whether or not the Placerville suspect had any connection to the Leila Fowler homicide. Though DNA samples taken from the suspect will still be sent to and analyzed by the DOJ crime lab as a matter of standard practice, detectives have determined it unlikely that there is a connection between the two crimes.

Calaveras Sheriff’s investigators have consulted with officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigations. The FBI is providing support to the investigation.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/4996255/

I follow you TheDuchess. I am equally confused. Even in a blended family, they should have enough DNA by using dad and mom to determine close familial genetic relationships.

So if the plaverville perp has been ruled out it must be because he didn't match the DNA profile they found in the house. But then the same thing should be able to rule out the family members.

Do we know for sure that DNA is what ruled out the placerville perp? Is it possible that an alibi such as incarceration, or presence somewhere else documents that he could not have harmed Leila?

Michael Bott ‏@TweetBott10 KXTV
2nd witness in Valley Springs murder case is no longer credible, according to Calaveras Co. Sheriff's Dept. #News10

So does that mean its only the brother as a witness? Or was there another?

thank you TheCheese, mine fell right below yours which ended up answering my question regarding the placerville perp elimination.

Sigh, not good. Our second witness has now been discredited and I never much believed our third.

I really hope this is solved very soon.

Gonna step back for a bit but will continue to lurk until more info becomes available.

christina heller ‏@CHeller_13 1m
#FBI assisting in #LeilaFowler murder investigation in Valley Springs #cbs13

KTVU ‏@KTVU 2m
#BREAKING: Leila Fowler murder case tipline 209-754-6033

KTVU ‏@KTVU 3m
#BREAKING: #Calaveras Co. Sheriff spokesman says hitchhiker with blood on his arms has been elimnated as a suspect in Leila Fowler case

I am pretty sure this is the website of the little league that serves Valley Springs:

http://foothillslittleleague.com/

A 12-year-old boy would be in the Majors division. An 8-year-old girl would be in the AA division. Those divisions had games at 10:30 AM and 1 PM on Saturday. I am going to say that neither Leila or her brother played in one of the 10:30 AM games as I doubt it would be finished in time for them to be home by noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DS called right at the same moment that the presser started. So I watched without being able to hear much of anything. But just from looking at the spokesman, he looked lost and frustrated and not happy at all. I think they are hitting roadblocks?

There was a guy who told reporters at a press conference that he picked up a hitchhiking man who's arm was covered with blood, but LE hasn't identified him as a witness AFAIK.

LE ruled out the bloody hitchhiker...so wouldn't that mean that the driver isn't a witness?

As it sounds now, both witnesses that were independent (not the sibling) have been discredited or are not relevant to this case. :(

I know this will open up all sorts of tempting speculation but please remember no one has been named as a suspect or a POI.

Back to lurk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member