GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not overboard. Good idea, too. Also a good idea to get hand/foot prints when they are very young (those prints dont change -- just get bigger).

And most important -- get a home security system. At $30-$50 per month for monitoring in most areas it's reasonable. And if you pay for cable, have kids and DON'T have a home security system because of the "cost" you've got your priorities wrong.

Totally agree!

I've also have always owned dobermans up until last year. ;). I only got the security system to protect the dogs if we weren't home and their was a fire;). No one in their right mind would try to get in my house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No...I'm not going there They are likely just going over every piece of evidence. There is no reason to believe that this is a change in theory. Remember-there were other witnesses to the perp leaving the home.

Also, I don't think they would be collecting DNA from the other suspect if they thought this was an inside job.

We don't need to go there.

They must consider every possible theory and they start with the person last known to have been with the victim, in the home, families outer circle, neighbors, and so on ....all of these possibilities need to be explored concurrently.

Eye Witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Remember the witness that saw Lacey Peterson walking her dog .... After we know she was dead....it happens.

What caught my attention, was the fact that law enforcement made a point to inform the public that they had discovered knives in the home, and that one of them might be the murder weapon, (paraphrased by me). The way it was stated sounded pretty optimistic, in my opinion.

Sounds like it was found hidden in the home. IMO

Does anyone have a link of the vigil for the full length video from last night?
TIA

Ok- I live close and was raised in this area. I've spent lots of time here. The road known as Ebbets Pass is HWY 4. It goes up through Murphys and Arnold, past Bear Vally ski resort and Lake Alpine. Ebbetts pass is beyond that, going up into the Sierras proper, ending up in Nevada.

Valley springs is actually much closer into the San Joaquin Valley than that area. It closest large city is Stockton. It is about 30-40min East of stockton on hwy 26. It is my understanding that the Fowlers lived in Rancho Calaveras, which is slightly southwest of Valley Springs (even closer to Stockton).

Look, to describe this best- it is rural FOOTHILL area... no pines or redwoods, but lots of oaks and rocks jutting out of the earth. Rattlesnakes galore. Think Little House on the Prairie, but add some hills. Foothills, not mountains. It gets really hot up there- 100F in summer, but it is below the snow line. Occasionally, they get snow, but it is not usual. Ebbets pass is MUCH higher, and closes at Bear Valley ski resort (hwy4) for the winter due to snow. The only way in for locals beyond that point is snowmobile. But that is HIGHER elevation- not really near valley springs.

Again I will say the area is rampant with drugs, dealers, and a degree of anonymity and lawlessness. And sweet, nice people, including wealthy people, looking to have affordable, picturesque large property. I know a lot of people who are from that area, and it is known that it is beautiful, but druggy country. They tend to keep to themselves, but if you stumble over their territory, you're done. People who are raised down in Stockton and other central valley towns, who have been around awhile, would avoid moving to certain areas up that way- Valley Springs, Angels Camp, San Andreas, Mokelumne Hill are a few. It's so sad, because there are such nice people/property up there, but mixed in with big time, low life drug dealers and don't even know it.

I am not trying to slam the area.. we go up to the Foothills often for wine tasting, cave exploring, b&bs, etc. It is beautiful, and the gold rush history is amazing. But it still seems to draw those who want to hide/fly under the radar. And the remoteness doesn't help with security.

Added: The Placerville link, IMHO, is prolly nothing. It is a major PITA to get from Valley Springs to Placerville. Stockton, if escaping by car, is a much faster, direct, anonymous route. Which is probably why early press said San Joaquin LE was involved. You leave the foothills and go down into the agricultural area/orchards of the central valley. Even more hiding places- Basically, you go 15min out of Valley Springs, and you are in Wesley Shermantine country. And look how well he hid their victims. :-( :-(

LE is correct- way too many places to hide. Too many crazies that melt into surroundings... just look back at Leonard Lake and Charles Ng- Calaveras County torture chamber nuts.

Yes. I'm in Tuolumne County, I know about the area.

ETA: It's not as bad as you make it sound lol

Sounds like it was found hidden in the home. IMO

Fox 40 10 pm news had a new interview with a sheriff, and he did use the term "home" this time. He said in or at, the home. I can't remember exactly. I need a dvr. He also said 3 knives. The reporter tried relentlessly to get more info out of him asking, if they where in the kitchen, what kind of knives, hunting, etc, all of which he responded he could not answer those questions.

The house is still an active crime scene and they said they sent an officer to Placerville to get the DNA from the guy there.

Not overboard. Good idea, too. Also a good idea to get hand/foot prints when they are very young (those prints dont change -- just get bigger).

And most important -- get a home security system. At $30-$50 per month for monitoring in most areas it's reasonable. And if you pay for cable, have kids and DON'T have a home security system because of the "cost" you've got your priorities wrong.

Hi, Jhon - welcome to WS!

Yep, we've gotten handprints, footprints, locks of hair...along with a security system, and a very large dog. (What good is being paranoid if you're not going to be thorough about it, lol?) ;)

As this is reportedly a home invasion and stabbing, a homicide, and a resident of the house apparently saw the killer, I could not help but think of the Percy case. It is good that someone outside of the home may have seen the murderer as well, as the earlier case (and others) attest, if the case goes unsolved for a while, some members of the public will think such a scenario is impossible without involved of the murder by a family member.
BBM...I'm wondering how close the houses are in this rural area that the neighbor was able to see the intruder running from the Fowler property.

I don't recall reading about him saying what direction the man was running in or where/what he was doing when he saw the guy running from the Fowler home. Did he call 911 after seeing this strange behavior? Has anyone read any detailed articles about what the neighbor witnessed?

I think the kid with the hitchhiker story is looking for his 15 min of fame. Makes no sense.

BBM...I'm wondering how close the houses are in this rural area that the neighbor was able to see the intruder running from the Fowler property.

I don't recall reading about him saying what direction the man was running in or where/what he was doing when he saw the guy running from the Fowler home. Did he call 911 after seeing this strange behavior? Has anyone read any detailed articles about what the neighbor witnessed?

I think the kid with the hitchhiker story is looking for his 15 min of fame. Makes no sense.

Lot sizes are roughly between 1-3 acres in Rancho Calaveras (it's a subdivision of Valley Springs where Rippon Rd is located).

If they are going to Placerville to get his DNA, then he must look a little bit like the description given by the 3 witnesses.

There's a picture of the Fowler house here: http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/154830/police_have_evidence_in_case

(It's not letting me right-click on that page, or I would've directly added the picture right to my post).

Not sure that is the right house in that picture. I think the more yellower one in the background of that shot is the correct house because of the ABC video report at this site.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9087260

On this video it shows LE parked in the driveway and what appeared to be a CSI tent set up in the yard.

Either way the 2 houses are very close together. Also noted that there are 2 driveways on the other side of the street but the video doesn't zoom out far enough to show how close to the road those houses are.

The Fowler house /crimescene address is 5621 Rippon Rd Valley Springs Ca.
(Google map the address and you can see the house having a light-brown roof an a round swimmingpool at the left side of the house)

I found the house number in this newsreport video where there is several vieoclips of the house:

http://news.kron4.com/news/calavera...ng-progress-in-murder-of-eight-year-old-girl/

Calaveras Detectives Say They’re Making Progress in Murder of Eight-Year Old Girl
By Brian Shields
Wed May 1st, 2013 11:53pm

And in this newsreport the police, in a press conference is stating:

quote:

VALLEY SPRINGS (KRON) — Calaveras County Sheriff’s deputies say the investigation into the stabbing death of eight-year old Leila Fowler is moving in the right direction.

“Really we are in the beginning stages but we’re making progress, a lot of progress,” Calaveras County Sheriff’s Sgt. Chris Hewitt tells reporters including KRON 4′s J.R. Stone. “

Authorities aren’t saying how much questioning the boy and his parents have undergone. All three are now grieving at a location outside Calaveras County, authorities say. Investigators say they are also looking for surveillance video in the area in hopes of spotting the killer leaving the scene. Detectives are also looking at possible connection with an open unsolved case out of Oakland.

Wonder what case that Oakland case could be???

From article linked above by Foreigner

Authorities aren’t saying how much questioning the boy and his parents have undergone. All three are now grieving at a location outside Calaveras County, authorities say. Investigators say they are also looking for surveillance video in the area in hopes of spotting the killer leaving the scene. Detectives are also looking at possible connection with an open unsolved case out of Oakland.

BBM - This scares me. I'm afraid they have foreign DNA. I've really been hoping for a match, so they can get the killer off the streets. He's such a terrible danger to children.

Possibly this is going to be like Jessica Ridgeway's case, where they had touch DNA from when Austin Sigg had assaulted a jogger that matched to touch DNA on Jessica's backpack, but they had no DNA on file for Sigg, so neither touch DNA matched to him (until after he confessed and was arrested).

I'm going to try not to panic.

Well here's the answer to what we were discussing last night about what they were testing the knives for. It was to see if one of them was the murder weapon. So they didn't find it yet. That's not good. Less evidence to track this guy down.

This is from Sgt Hewitt

Those are being examined to determine if one of those knives might have been the weapon that was used against Leila.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=9087260

Also in that article, a neighbor says they searched her trash the other day.

The only thing shocking to me about this development with the knives is that LE had to go back to get them. IMO that is or should be SOP. Securing all possible knives in the home should have been done immediately in order to rule them out. Just as they need to rule out the home's occupants fingerprints and DNA, they would also need to rule out the potential weapons in the home.

LE has been very clear since Sunday or Monday that they are investigating all angles, all tracks, in this case, as they should. You never narrow your investigation to just one theory this early on. This explains their interest in RSO even though they have no evidence of sexual assault (IMO). That is why they are following up possible links to similar area crimes against children. They are being thorough.

I see nothing alarming or worthy of me getting my panties in a knot just yet.

Calaveras County Sheriff's officials say they have no new significant breaks in the 8-year-old's murder. But they did reveal what kind of evidence they've taken from the Fowler home.

"Some DNA evidence, I cannot go into any further information on that," Sgt. Hewitt said. "We've collected some fingerprints, and we've collected a few knives. Those are being examined to determine if one of those knives might have been the weapon that was used against Leila."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=9087260

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member