GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the handbook for Tonyon Middle School, possession of a knife is an mandatory expulsion from school unless the principal finds that expulsion is inappropriate. We know that IF was suspended for 5 days for bringing a knife to school. Can we assume that he wasn't threatening someone with it if he wasn't expelled? Would there be some sort of hearing to decide whether he would be expelled or not? I also wonder how true it is that IF has been suspended many times, because you would think bringing a knife to school would be the final straw if you already had a bad record.

I want to disguise myself as a middle-schooler and go into TMS and find out what all the students are saying LOL

http://www.courts.ca.gov/14798.htm

The Washoe tribe is the only tribe in California which currently exercises exclusive jurisdiction over child-welfare matters involving the tribe’s children residing on the tribe’s reservation lands.

Juvenile Jurisdiction: To the extend permitted by federal law, the Tribal Court shall have original jurisdiction in all proceedings and matter affecting Indian and non-Indian children under the age of eighteen years who are residing or are apprehended within the jurisdiction of the Court.

Calaveras County has only 1 tribe: Miwok

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist10/divisions/Planning/ruraladmin/d10tribalmap306.pdf

Not sure how this even applies in this case since even if IF had Native American Heritage, it would not be Washoe jurisdiction.
Even if other tribes don't exercise judicial jurisdiction, they have to be consulted before moving forward in any juvenile case in California in which the child is determined to be of Native American descent. The judge is required to ask it in the initial proceedings for ANY proceedings that involve a juvenile.

Did we ever hear the 2nd part of the interview with Priscilla? It mysteriously never happened. I am still wondering if either the Fowler's complained to the news station and asked them not to air it, or if perhaps LE called them and told them to pull it because they knew an arrest was in the works.

Dinsala-any idea about that situation or what happened at the funeral? I would imagine that Priscilla did finish that interview, but it never aired. It is just so strange.

I found the title of the article yesterday (sorry, can't remember it now!), and it had a slightly different photo of PR (same clothing), and seemed to be part 2 of the first segment (same station). BUT...when I clicked on it, it said "This is no longer available."

So, I'm guessing it was taped but never aired, or taken off in light of the arrest. (I'll see if I can find it, but am on vacation with limited Internet access right now.)

ETA: Here it is--it states that "this interview was conducted just hours before the shocking arrest and announcement."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video/8871146-leila-fowlers-mother-my-son-loved-his-sister/

"The juvenile court system is designed for rehabilitation," Rosenfeld said. "If his sentence follows precedent and he does well in the system and doesn't get himself in trouble, he'll be out when he's 19 or 20."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/15/3398593/boy-accused-in-killing-of-his.html

Attorneys for a 12-year-old California boy charged with killing his sister said Wednesday they wonder if he is mature enough to aid his defense.

This is all of course assuming he IS guilty and he IS convicted... so does have a sentence to serve at all.

If he doesn't do well in there... maybe his parents will have some epiphanies in the next few years.
Maybe they will fight against him being released at 19 or 20 when that time comes. :please:

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=529122

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9439276&posted=1#post9439276

It would take a lot to realize your child lacks empathy and needs to remain incarcerated...
I just hope Leila's parents come around to an accurate picture of their son. Whatever that might be. :twocents:

Huh? They have a boat? Then why on earth would they accept donations from people who have much less? :notgood:

Re the bolded sentence, I wonder what happened that was so severe that CF and BF had to cut mom out of their and her children's lives completely. Is she such a bad influence? Apparently she hasn't seen her children in years, and now one is dead and she wasn't even allowed to come to her funeral. That is pretty tough imo. Even if I really despise a person I would not shut them out of the funeral of their own child. That's pretty cold imo.

I have empathy and sympathy for all involved. They have all lost one child they love to murder and face losing another to conviction.

I just don't have it in me to judge any of the adults involved based on whatever has happened with custody. It is NOT my place and has no bearing that we know of on this case.

It is very unusual IMO for a father to have full custody of children and for a bio mother to be completely absent from her childrens' lives without some pretty significant reason. I can only assume there is much that is not known. If the bio mom was cut out due to malice that is terrible. I do not have evidence of that nor does anything we have read thus far suggest that.

I will not judge about the funeral because all I have is a news station saying Priscilla R. was denied access. Then, to my knowledge, they never aired the story that the funeral teaser was about. I refuse to judge a situation or people based on a headline.

Now I will be the first to jump on the judgment band wagon about parental decisions should it come out that the custodial adults knew or should have known that I.F. was a danger to Leila or anyone else. THAT I am comfortable with.

As to them having a boat, is it a rowboat, a johnboat, a sailboat, a yacht? What year is it? What is its value? I am curious about the boat/donation connection being made. If you have a boat you should not need donations if your life is turned upside down and one of your child is accused of murdering another of your children and your home becomes a crime scene for weeks necessitating you vacate and find other accommodation? How is it known that the people donating have much less?

Boy that must be some boat.

I found the title of the article yesterday (sorry, can't remember it now!), and it had a slightly different photo of PR (same clothing), and seemed to be part 2 of the first segment (same station). BUT...when I clicked on it, it said "This is no longer available."

So, I'm guessing it was taped but never aired, or taken off in light of the arrest. (I'll see if I can find it, but am on vacation with limited Internet access right now.)

ETA: Here it is--it states that "this interview was conducted just hours before the shocking arrest and announcement."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video/8871146-leila-fowlers-mother-my-son-loved-his-sister/

I think that is the first part of the interview that we have already seen. I cannot find anything to indicate the second "teased" portion of the interview regarding funeral was ever aired. Not sure why unless it was just so much hype about nothing.

With this and the earlier post, are you trying to be sarcastic or imply that people are leaping to conclusions? Is this funny to you? I'm not sure what your posts mean. Just come out and say what you want to say.
I agree. I have no respect for people who are intentionally cruel to animals. I also do not think even an allegation is funny. Even if he did fish or hunt there are still people who engage in these activities that are humane and others intentionally cruel. People notice when someone else is intentionally cruel and generally are not incorrect in their assumption.

I think this child is very, very ill. I feel bad for him - he didn't ask for whatever is wrong with him. I hope his father had him in intense therapy. I'm surprised he was going to public school. I'm surprised when this happened that his father didn't immediately put him in a psychiatric hospital.

I think it's very likely that IF suffered some severe traumas when he was younger, probably severe abuse of some kind - not necessarily abuse by a parent, but some kind of traumatic abuse.

I think he is still young enough that he may be able to be helped, with very intense psychiatric treatment.

I am heartbroken that Leila suffered what she did as a result of whatever was going on with IF. She should have been better protected from IF. IF should have been better protected from himself, and the turmoil inside him.

In the aftermath, IF needs intense psychiatric care. I hope he gets it. I hope the judge grants it. I hope it helps. Otherwise, God help those IF comes in contact with when he gets out.

All my opinion.

My gut instinct agrees that this boy is seriously troubled, possibly mentally ill. While I have a background in special ed, I don't know enough about his history, and would hesitate to diagnose someone online, anyway. But kids who have been diagnosed with RAD, for example (lack of affect, anger, dysfunctional social skills and severely deficient attachment patterns) most often have a history of traumatic abuse in the first five years of life...and this depth of problem requires psychiatric intervention. JMO, if he DID do this, intensive psychiatric treatment (as opposed to simple juvenile detention in a county facility) for the next 10 or 12 years is his (and his future community's) only hope.

I can understand the dad not putting him in to psychiatric treatment "after he did this" in that, even if he thought his son did this, a major investigation was going on into finding her killer. Getting a kid committed doesn't happen that fast, nor would it happen in this scenario, I don't think. I believe that after a couple days LE was investigating family involvement in this, without making that known to the public. Dad attempting to put IF into a psychiatric ward right after the murder would've nailed it for them.

He mutilated his sister!
I think some of us are waiting for the evidence to be revealed by LE (as opposed to sources close to the family-which are probably valid, but may not be) before deciding he actually did it. In some cases, when the evidence is revealed, I am sometimes left with "That all you have? I can explain away all of that." Other times, more evidence comes out and then I say "Got it." Without all of that information, I am not one to jump on the "He did it" bandwagon, because, as I posted before, I've seen plenty of LE mess ups.

Defense Attorney Advises Leila Fowler’s Family To Find Legal Counsel

“I think every single one of them needs an attorney,” Reichel said. “Any coverups or any assistance they gave, or any false statements or any misleading communications they gave to law enforcement could have hindered the investigation, and that in itself is a crime"

I believe this statement was made before Reichel was retained as IF's attorney, but still I would think the family would have 2nd thoughts about hiring him.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...s-leila-fowlers-family-to-find-legal-counsel/

The parents aren't going to work to get IF help until they can admit that he's guilty. Accepting that your daughter is dead at your son's hands, and there were (possible) signs that you missed, that you let the two of them stay home together, that the custody battle and family situation might have played some part, etc. I am not blaming the parents, but it's not just admitting that IF did this crime when they see the evidence, it's also about looking back at everything they did in the past, what went wrong, could this be prevented, etc. It will be an extremely difficult thing to ever come to terms on.

“I think every single one of them needs an attorney,” Reichel said. “Any coverups or any assistance they gave, or any false statements or any misleading communications they gave to law enforcement could have hindered the investigation, and that in itself is a crime"

I believe this statement was made before Reichel was retained as IF's attorney, but still I would think the family would have 2nd thoughts about hiring him.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...s-leila-fowlers-family-to-find-legal-counsel/
This might be WHY they hired him. I wouldn't have, but to each their own....

Does anyone know how the court proceeding will happen? It is a trial in front of the judge, or do they just hand over all the evidence and the judge decides? How quickly does this all happen? With adults it can take many months or even years for the trial to happen. I assume this will all go down pretty quickly in juvenile court, compared to adult court?

Wow. The article is unclear but the video at the link states he is a local attorney who is discussing the case. That would indeed suggest he was not retained yet by the Fowlers for I.F. but was speaking as a talking head opining generally on the case.

I agree, I would have second and third thoughts about hiring him to defend my child after that statement.

I wonder if they are aware or know about this interview.

Just wow.

I think that is the first part of the interview that we have already seen. I cannot find anything to indicate the second "teased" portion of the interview regarding funeral was ever aired. Not sure why unless it was just so much hype about nothing.

Well, oddly enough, when I went back to the link, it now was viewable! No "not available" written on it. (Must be due to traffic on link, not LE removal.) The second video clip IS a slightly different video, but it still doesn't mention anything about the funeral. Thanks for clarifying, tlcya.

Here are the two (slightly) different cbs video segments:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/vide...-mother-says-brother-would-never-hurt-sister/

I feel like he has been contacting the family since the murder happened to offer his services. He doesn't seem like the type to wait until there's an arrest.

If that is the reason they hired him, then I would expect them to also have obtained independent counsel for themselves by now.

Hiring him after he made those statements could be seen as an indication that they did indeed participate in a cover-up and I just don't think the are prepared to say that at the moment. So this leaves me confused.

I have empathy and sympathy for all involved. They have all lost one child they love to murder and face losing another to conviction.

I just don't have it in me to judge any of the adults involved based on whatever has happened with custody. It is NOT my place and has no bearing that we know of on this case.

It is very unusual IMO for a father to have full custody of children and for a bio mother to be completely absent from her childrens' lives without some pretty significant reason. I can only assume there is much that is not known. If the bio mom was cut out due to malice that is terrible. I do not have evidence of that nor does anything we have read thus far suggest that.

I will not judge about the funeral because all I have is a news station saying Priscilla R. was denied access. Then, to my knowledge, they never aired the story that the funeral teaser was about. I refuse to judge a situation or people based on a headline.

Now I will be the first to jump on the judgment band wagon about parental decisions should it come out that the custodial adults knew or should have known that I.F. was a danger to Leila or anyone else. THAT I am comfortable with.

As to them having a boat, is it a rowboat, a johnboat, a sailboat, a yacht? What year is it? What is its value? I am curious about the boat/donation connection being made. If you have a boat you should not need donations if your life is turned upside down and one of your child is accused of murdering another of your children and your home becomes a crime scene for weeks necessitating you vacate and find other accommodation? How is it known that the people donating have much less?

Boy that must be some boat.

Re BBM (next-to-last sentence) above: There were several comments by locals on the Valley Springs Fundraising group Facebook page (hopefully still 'open') originally set up for collections for the Fowler family. Can't link to Facebook due to TOS, but I posted more concerning what the page said several pages back.

Going way way WAY back here...but I think I remember something about Mark Geragos speaking about the Laci Peterson case prior to actually being hired by Scott Peterson. If I remember correctly, he said some pretty disparaging things about SP and how he looked to be so guilty, etc... and then the next thing you know...he is representing him!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NVWoman