GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, lying to say that the family is broke to get more donations while the family has $70k in the bank would be extremely shady. I'll wait for more proof of that before accusing the parents/lawyers of that behavior.Although I imagine that trying to get donations at this point would be extremely difficult.

I think the father is just doing what the lawyer tells him to do. It's the lawyer's job to make the client look innocent.

I have wondered about this as well. This is what perplexes me about the attorneys involvement. Even if the parents know that I is guilty, do they want to try and get the charges dismissed? Or, should I say what are they hoping to accomplish with the attorneys? I'm curious about that.

I can't imagine the conflict the parents must be feeling, but I also can't imagine wanting to bring I back into the home and even take the slightest chance that someone else could be injured. If brought back in the home would he receive the intensive counseling that he needs? I also don't like seeing counseling being delayed for I as another poster mentioned.

He will not receive any treatment until the court case is over. Frightening actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will not receive any treatment until the court case is over. Frightening actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gitana or PensFan would probably best be able to answer this but couldn't the lawyers petition the court to have him moved to an inpatient setting where he could receive some therapy or support? Even if he isn't guilty, IF likely isn't walking away from this unscathed and the sooner he begins to get help the better.

The murder happened only a month ago, so it's possible that if they are now renting a really cheap place and if family members helped them out before with expenses like food and gas, possibly they had enough saved up from their personal accounts?

But saying they are penniless because their personal account is empty despite having $70k would be a huge lie to the public by the lawyers. What if people decide to give more money to help them out not realizing they have plenty? The family could go an entire year without working with this $70k.

The PI said in his blog in response to a question about the fund, "[it] was done before attorneys were retained and before I was brought in by the attorneys. All I can tell you is that we aren’t working off any donated funds. Not any funds for that matter."

Maybe JMO, but I don't think the atty would lie, or is lying about this. I know from reading elsewhere that the atty was retained during or right after a media taping, where both the parents and Reichel were on--and he was advising them 'live' during the taping that they should get an attorney. (The atty himself said that that's when he signed on.) It could be that it was so early on that he himself was not aware of that memorial account (agreed to do it pro bono)--and certainly when he signed on the account didn't have $70K in it.

Gitana or PensFan would probably best be able to answer this but couldn't the lawyers petition the court to have him moved to an inpatient setting where he could receive some therapy or support? Even if he isn't guilty, IF likely isn't walking away from this unscathed and the sooner he begins to get help the better.

If they did that, they'd logically have to petition that for ALL the kids in the family. Can't do that without first proving he did it, and also showing that he did it b/c of emotional or mental illness.

(The fact that the lawyer himself has said IF's doing "remarkably well" at this time would also seem to make that not feasible.)

ETA: At intake they give adults a psychological test (to see if they're suicidal, etc., among other reasons). I'm guessing they may do a similar assessment of juveniles during intake. If so, that also would have to indicate a need for inpatient setting--and he'd be there all ready if it did, I suspect.

Okay this is something I've been thinking about: So judging by comments I've read about the family all over the Internet, I feel like they aren't viewed in the same light as other parents who have lost a child. It just seems like as the days go by, the less sympathy they seem to get. And I wonder if in some weird way, the fact that the parents didn't cover up for their son plays a part in that. Like people see them as just being so oblivious, like not only did they let their crazy son stay home with their daughter, who killed her, but they had absolutely no clue that their son had done it. And if they had covered it up, if people would almost have more sympathy for them? Maybe it would humanize them....like here are parents who just lost their daughter, they aren't thinking straight because of their grief, and they want to save their other child? IDK...

Okay this is something I've been thinking about: So judging by comments I've read about the family all over the Internet, I feel like they aren't viewed in the same light as other parents who have lost a child. It just seems like as the days go by, the less sympathy they seem to get. And I wonder if in some weird way, the fact that the parents didn't cover up for their son plays a part in that. Like people see them as just being so oblivious, like not only did they let their crazy son stay home with their daughter, who killed her, but they had absolutely no clue that their son had done it. And if they had covered it up, if people would almost have more sympathy for them? Maybe it would humanize them....like here are parents who just lost their daughter, they aren't thinking straight because of their grief, and they want to save their other child? IDK...
BBM.

From this article, it would seem the opposite is more likely a reflection of the community's feelings--the sense that they covered it up made folks have less sympathy for them:
“We started getting calls from people that had bought tickets and were asking for their money back. They were hurt; they were angry,” said Rebstock.
“They do feel betrayed by the parents because they feel like the parents knew all along,” said neighbor Julie Hall.
Detectives are not saying much since the suspect is a minor. So questions about why it took so long to make an arrest and why the community was not told they were safe in their homes may go unanswered for a long time.
Until then, the community will try to move on and let their wounds heal before a new event is hosted for Fowler.
“It hurts because we were trying to do something good,” said Rebstock.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...ed-following-arrest-of-leila-fowlers-brother/

I think the complete opposite is true - many seem to believe that the parents (BF and/or CW) did help cover up the crime and/or were aware that Leila wasn't safe alone with her brother. The public perception of this family reminds me of HD's family or even Baby Lisa's.

From the sentiment I've read, BF and CW just weren't very well liked. They weren't known well, but many people didn't get a good feeling about them. In addition,
1. The community came together out of grief and compassion for Leila and the other children. NOT for BF and CW.
2. People felt like they knew IF was wrong, and left Leila there anyway.
3. They have not been honest about the crime what they saw, what they did before the police got there.
4. They took money knowing IF was likely responsible, or his arrest was coming.
5. They are suspicious of them as people, and parents.

People just have a general distaste and lost sympathy for their actions, and their perceived or assumed actions.

Now...this is all coming from the internet. Take that as you will. We know people say all kinds of things on the internet!! I don't think it's far off, though....it seems like many people feel this way.

From the sentiment I've read, BF and CW just weren't very well liked. They weren't known well, but many people didn't get a good feeling about them. In addition,
1. The community came together out of grief and compassion for Leila and the other children. NOT for BF and CW.
2. People felt like they knew IF was wrong, and left Leila there anyway.
3. They have not been honest about the crime what they saw, what they did before the police got there. 4. They took money knowing IF was likely responsible, or his arrest was coming.
5. They are suspicious of them as people, and parents.

People just have a general distaste and lost sympathy for their actions, and their perceived or assumed actions.

Now...this is all coming from the internet. Take that as you will. We know people say all kinds of things on the internet!! I don't think it's far off, though...

BBM..Well said... and accurate...... IMIO

Just to clarify, I was talking more about comments on online news sites rather than the opinions of locals. Everyone is probably right that a feeling that the parents had a part in the coverup probably plays a role in the lack of sympathy. Just to give one example; CNN put up an article about Crystal's post on FB asking for privacy and there were all these top-rated comments saying that if she wants privacy, why doesn't she get off FB, and wow she just lost her child but has time to go online, etc. And I feel like if Leila had been killed by a predator, the comments would be more along the lines of asking CNN why they are making news articles out of the FB posts of the "mother" of a murdered child.

I also think it's extremely difficult for people to put themselves in the Fowlers' position because how many people can envision one of their children killing the other one? I don't think many people have a fear of that happening. On the other hand, parents are always worried about strangers, and how to protect their children from predators. So that's another reason why I think comments on subsequent articles if Leila had been killed by a predator would be very different than the comments we see now.

Just to clarify, I was talking more about comments on online news sites rather than the opinions of locals. Everyone is probably right that a feeling that the parents had a part in the coverup probably plays a role in the lack of sympathy. Just to give one example; CNN put up an article about Crystal's post on FB asking for privacy and there were all these top-rated comments saying that if she wants privacy, why doesn't she get off FB, and wow she just lost her child but has time to go online, etc. And I feel like if Leila had been killed by a predator, the comments would be more along the lines of asking CNN why they are making news articles out of the FB posts of the "mother" of a murdered child.

I also think it's extremely difficult for people to put themselves in the Fowlers' position because how many people can envision one of their children killing the other one? I don't think many people have a fear of that happening. On the other hand, parents are always worried about strangers, and how to protect their children from predators. So that's another reason why I think comments on subsequent articles if Leila had been killed by a predator would be very different than the comments we see now.

I think the reaction to the CNN article was skewed because people found CW's FB from that article and then realized that the post immediately before that one was the one bashing PR. It wasn't a so much "wow, she has time to be in FB asking for privacy" but "wow, she had time to be on FB bashing the child's mother before an arrest was even made". CW really did a number on how her and BF were perceived by the public and nothing has happened since to improve on that.

I think the reaction to the CNN article was skewed because people found CW's FB from that article and then realized that the post immediately before that one was the one bashing PR. It wasn't a so much "wow, she has time to be in FB asking for privacy" but "wow, she had time to be on FB bashing the child's mother before an arrest was even made". CW really did a number on how her and BF were perceived by the public and nothing has happened since to improve on that.

Actions often speak louder than words--especially if people don't know you well to begin with. CNN reported the facts--what they found she'd requested. The comments below the article are people's own conclusions from CW's actions and words...can't do much to control that.

So I agree with you, completely. :)

I have to disagree. I don't think most people commenting on that CNN article (which was about the asking for privacy comment) went to find Crystal's FB. And even if they did find it, how would they know that her other comment about how this is the Oscars for some people was even talking about Priscilla?

I have to disagree. I don't think most people commenting on that CNN article (which was about the asking for privacy comment) went to find Crystal's FB. And even if they did find it, how would they know that her other comment about how this is the Oscars for some people was even talking about Priscilla?

PR was named by one of CW's friends on that post.

Actions often speak louder than words--especially if people don't know you well to begin with. CNN reported the facts--what they found she'd requested. The comments below the article are people's own conclusions from CW's actions and words...can't do much to control that.

I'm not blaming CNN at all. CW put it out there and now she has to deal with the consequences of doing so.

NO MATTER what happened OR why, this is just a terrible tragedy all the way around. The family, of course, is suffering but the friends, school-mates, neighbors etc of BOTH children must be terribly confused and sad. As an adult, I can't wrap my head around it. I can not imagine how parents are explaining this to their children.
When I was 6 years old, my parents were very close friends with a couple who had children my age and we spent a lot of time together. I arrived home from school one day to find my mother crying and she told me that the whole family had gone to heaven. The father had killed both children, his wife, mother-in-law, and his own sister. I remember him being a kind and gentle mad. This news was devastating but I can only imagine it being more shocking had a child done it. My prayers go out to all.

PR was named by one of CW's friends on that post.

But the average person who reads CNN.com and comments on articles does not know about the whole family drama. Unless you follow the case to the extent that we do, where we look up every article, read every detail, watch every video, you are not going to know that Priscilla (Leila's real mother) did an interview talking about how she wasn't invited to the funeral, and how Crystal posted on FB criticizing Priscilla for this. That family drama has barely been publicized. So what I am saying is, the people who are reading CNN.com are simply commenting on what is in front of them in the article.

bbm,
That is the way I saw it as well. I can not even imagine being the girlfriend of a guy that now has a dead daughter, stabbed to death in the home we share, found by her blood brother no less, and I am going to talk/discuss negatively about the children's bio mom on FB. What's wrong with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member