GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

That article just makes me really sad. I know that what he is accused of is unthinkable but, my G-d, he is 12. He's just a little boy and like my own he should be enjoying end of year parties, cramming for finals and planning summer sleepovers. What goes so wrong that a freaking 12 year old ends up in this position?

According to court records, the boy's family had financial troubles – his father Barney Fowler, 37, had at least seven children born to four mothers, with five of the children living in the house at the time of Leila's killing, The Record of Stockton reports.

I can't roll my eyes enough at this. Seriously 7 kids and 4 mothers? I can't imagine why he was having "financial troubles" when he seems to be so good at making wise choices.

I suspect Crystal won't be around much longer...And I'm not just saying that based on Barney's relationship history, but why would she want to be part of this family anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if she/they are waiting until after IF's trial before they start dealing with any child custody and support issues.

That article just makes me really sad. I know that what he is accused of is unthinkable but, my G-d, he is 12. He's just a little boy and like my own he should be enjoying end of year parties, cramming for finals and planning summer sleepovers. What goes so wrong that a freaking 12 year old ends up in this position?

I can't roll my eyes enough at this. Seriously 7 kids and 4 mothers? I can't imagine why he was having "financial troubles" when he seems to be so good at making wise choices.

I feel ya. I am trying hard not to be too judgmental. And I guess it is good that he does not just abandon the kids. But I have an idea. Why not use condoms for a change. Does he really need to father seven kids. Actually more, when you add in the step kids. It is just not do-able, unless you have quite a steady income.

In the old days, parents had farms and other ways to make it feasible to raise a large family,imo. But it is not easy anymore with the cost of living and the amount of things kids expect these days. My mom used to tell us, or tell my kids actually, that she had 3 pair of shoes. School shoes, church shoes and work shoes, which she wore most often. She would say that as she peered into my DD's closet full of tennis shoes and boots and sandals and flip flops. lol

I am rambling, but the point is, having seven kids, and being virtually penniless, is very stressful and frightening. And those feelings of fear and chaos leak out and create a sense of fear in the kids as well. JMO

I suspect Crystal won't be around much longer...And I'm not just saying that based on Barney's relationship history, but why would she want to be part of this family anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if she/they are waiting until after IF's trial before they start dealing with any child custody and support issues.

She shares a child with Mr Commitment so she is tied to him for the next 10+ years and by now she should know how (ir)responsible he is about supporting his kids.

Bailing now (or in the foreseeable future) and subjecting all the kids to more upheaval and loss would be a crappy thing to do.

The last day of school for Calaveras County district is June 12. IF was arrested May 12. I don't believe the other children would be allowed to miss a month of school, so I guess they are back in school...somewhere. I hope the children are still going to the same schools they were going to before the murder happened, and not new ones. A new school is another change these kids don't need now. Of course I also wonder how their classmates are treating them.

The last day of school for Calaveras County district is June 12. IF was arrested May 12. I don't believe the other children would be allowed to miss a month of school, so I guess they are back in school...somewhere. I hope the children are still going to the same schools they were going to before the murder happened, and not new ones. A new school is another change these kids don't need now. Of course I also wonder how their classmates are treating them.

There is a young boy in my son's class that lost a brother (he actually died at school) and Kevin was allowed to finish up the last 2 months at home. I kinda hope the Fowler/Walker kids are allowed to do the same. Kids can be cruel and they don't need that right now but OTOH their friends and normal routine may be exactly what they need to cope.

In all these articles they say, "At least 7 children..."

Do these news people think there are more out there? I mean, it's almost as if it's a disclaimer...that this is just who they know about.

Perhaps there is one or more where paternity is still up in the air?

I feel ya. I am trying hard not to be too judgmental. And I guess it is good that he does not just abandon the kids. But I have an idea. Why not use condoms for a change. Does he really need to father seven kids. Actually more, when you add in the step kids. It is just not do-able, unless you have quite a steady income.

In the old days, parents had farms and other ways to make it feasible to raise a large family,imo. But it is not easy anymore with the cost of living and the amount of things kids expect these days. My mom used to tell us, or tell my kids actually, that she had 3 pair of shoes. School shoes, church shoes and work shoes, which she wore most often. She would say that as she peered into my DD's closet full of tennis shoes and boots and sandals and flip flops. lol

I am rambling, but the point is, having seven kids, and being virtually penniless, is very stressful and frightening. And those feelings of fear and chaos leak out and create a sense of fear in the kids as well. JMO

Your momma had three pair of shoes? Was she rich? (Being facetious).

I know older folks in the Mississippi Delta who talk about only having shoes in the winter time. They only got one pair per year...if the crop was good that year, that is. Otherwise, they had to hope for a hand-me-down pair or just make do with what they had from the prior year. They would cut the toes out so their feet would fit, and they would line the shoes with newspaper to cover the holes in the soles.

And yes, farm families had lots of kids...mostly to have labor to work the farms!!!

Your momma had three pair of shoes? Was she rich? (Being facetious).

I know older folks in the Mississippi Delta who talk about only having shoes in the winter time. They only got one pair per year...if the crop was good that year, that is. Otherwise, they had to hope for a hand-me-down pair or just make do with what they had from the prior year. They would cut the toes out so their feet would fit, and they would line the shoes with newspaper to cover the holes in the soles.

And yes, farm families had lots of kids...mostly to have labor to work the farms!!!

No, not rich. But she was the youngest of 10 kids and had all of the hand me downs.

And they had a farm for food and my great grandma made all of the clothing.

She also liked to remind us that at Christmas, each child got an orange and one small homemade toy of some kind, like a doll made from old socks or something. My kids looked at her in disbelief. LOL

not sure how BF and SF and the county court date regarding child support for a child who is neither the victim or perp is related to this case.

It isn't. I just wanted to point out that the fact that BF is named doesn't really mean that he is involved. The county may very well have filed without him even being aware. I'm not one to defend him but that case shouldn't be read as him trying to get more $ from the ex based solely on the fact that his name is on there.

not sure how BF and SF and the county court date regarding child support for a child who is neither the victim or perp is related to this case.
It isn't. I just wanted to point out that the fact that BF is named doesn't really mean that he is involved. The county may very well have filed without him even being aware. I'm not one to defend him but that case shouldn't be read as him trying to get more $ from the ex based solely on the fact that his name is on there.
It is important to me because I believe BF is most likely going in front of the court and not asking for child support stating he's willing and able to take care of the children he's fathered when the divorce or separation of his significant other is final. If you're receiving state assistance then that isn't taking care of your obligations, IMO. Some people need the help and I have no problem with that. My problem lies in others thinking that he was the best placement for his children since the court awarded him custody. It very well could have been a toss up for the Judge and he chose BF because he thought he could financially support them better. I've witnessed it before.

MOO

It is important to me because I believe BF is most likely going in front of the court and not asking for child support stating he's willing and able to take care of the children he's fathered when the divorce or separation of his significant other is final. If you're receiving state assistance then that isn't taking care of your obligations, IMO. Some people need the help and I have no problem with that. My problem lies in others thinking that he was the best placement for his children since the court awarded him custody. It very well could have been a toss up for the Judge and he chose BF because he thought he could financially support them better. I've witnessed it before.

MOO

I agree with you, one thing I thought that may have helped was a a judge trying to keep the siblings together. I also know that single (unwed) women are entitled to lots of assistance from the state,county. jmo

Thanks, menmo. I think I must have misunderstood what you wrote...I thought you were saying you thought BF was not interested in asking for child support.

Also--question I tacked on to the post (too late for your read)...if the county is the plaintiff, does that mean the county would be the recipient of the child support money? (This is uncharted territory for me, sorry!)

I am thinking he probably did not ask for child support at the time he was trying to get custody, but maybe filed later on one or more of the kids to make his home look like he had it under control and could care for them better than someone that would need assistance. Clear as mud? Sorry I am not conveying this as well as I'd like.

In my state if the custodial parent files for assistance then they go after the non custodial parent for support and that support is helped to pay back part of the assistance they are receiving. So BF wouldn't necessarily get the support money. For example: Medicaid, TANF, food stamps. Usually the child support doesn't even begin to cover the money paid out in other ways to a family.
ETA: This is how the husband of a good friend of mine found out that he had a 6 year old child. The mother of that child filed for assistance from the state and the state filed against him since she had to name the father. Paternity test done and around $800 in support each month.
Also, not saying that BF was the one filing for support, just saying it happens that way many times, IMO. Maybe it was just the fact that he asked for assistance.

MOO

We do not know why BF and CF's children are with him. Perhaps CF agreed to him being the best person to have physical custody. My point is, their relationship likely has nothing to do with this case. And IMO neither does whether this family is receiving federal assistance.

I am sure the information would be very interesting to those who have a certain opinion of BF and CW as they feel it would further back up their poor opinion of these individuals. But in regards to Leila Fowler, the beautiful little girl who was murdered: She gets lost in the endless debate about CW and her FB comments, BF and his many children by several different women, etc and so forth. MOO

its all quite titillating. IMO its also quite ugly and unnecessary.

I am thinking he probably did not ask for child support at the time he was trying to get custody, but maybe filed later on one or more of the kids to make his home look like he had it under control and could care for them better than someone that would need assistance. Clear as mud? Sorry I am not conveying this as well as I'd like.

In my state if the custodial parent files for assistance then they go after the non custodial parent for support and that support is helped to pay back part of the assistance they are receiving. So BF wouldn't necessarily get the support money. For example: Medicaid, TANF, food stamps. Usually the child support doesn't even begin to cover the money paid out in other ways to a family.
ETA: This is how the husband of a good friend of mine found out that he had a 6 year old child. The mother of that child filed for assistance from the state and the state filed against him since she had to name the father. Paternity test done and around $800 in support each month.
Also, not saying that BF was the one filing for support, just saying it happens that way many times, IMO. Maybe it was just the fact that he asked for assistance.

MOO

Thanks--that makes sense to me, now. (Re your friend's husband--what a way to find out you're a father! :( )

I can't get over the timing.
The child support was filed for JUST before Leila was murdered.
That's a huge coincidence and I don't like coincidences. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member