CA CA - Los Angeles Co., WhtFem 588UFCA, 16-28, in burned trailer, Jun'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That area is the location of the Sherman Oaks Galleria (used in the filming of Fast Times at Ridgemont High). But Sepulveda Boulevard at 4AM in the morning is pretty sparse, populated mostly by homeless and ladies of the evening. Poor girl. There are a couple of seedy motels just a couple of blocks north of there. At least that's the landscape now. I can't imagine it was much better then.

I wouldn't invest too much faith in the word of a serial killer regarding where she was when he picked her up.

Brenda is/was older than the age range given for the deceased girl, and taller. But, what a terribly sad story, to have struggled for years with bad times and hard times, and then apparently straightened herself out, and then disappears.

The description of the subject of this thread is really depressing. It sounds like she had no one who cared for her.

Brenda is/was older than the age range given for the deceased girl, and taller. But, what a terribly sad story, to have struggled for years with bad times and hard times, and then apparently straightened herself out, and then disappears.

The description of the subject of this thread is really depressing. It sounds like she had no one who cared for her.

:)I care and the other people here care. You care. It may be too late to save her life, but not too late to give her a name.
I called the detective in charge, waiting for a response, I'll give him till the middle of the week and try again, I called him on Friday, so we have to wait and see.

Someone brave enough to call the investigating officer and find out more information? Detective Richard C. Kennerly 323-890-5500
If Melvin Smith was sentenced to 25 years, he's probably a free man today. There are lots of Melvin Smiths with criminal records. We'd need his middle name or better yet a birth date, to find out more about him.

If he was sentenced in 1984 since those kind of cases take a year or so to usually get settled etc It's possible he could still be in jail or close to getting out IF he wasn't let out on parole earlier.

:)I care and the other people here care. You care. It may be too late to save her life, but not too late to give her a name.
I called the detective in charge, waiting for a response, I'll give him till the middle of the week and try again, I called him on Friday, so we have to wait and see.

Hope you get results from your call. I read a lot on WS, but rarely am this distressed about an unidentfied, to put it mildly. I cannot even imagine the life she was living, but she certainly didn't deserve the way her life ended.

I wonder if there's a way to access prostitution arrest records from that time period? that might help...

it's also possible that back then, you didn't report a runaway missing like you do now, so she was never reported missing by a loved one, sadly.

so, while I was actually looking for a UID in Texas, I came across a missing woman who I think matches the profile of the UID in this case:

like our Jane Doe she is blonde, petite, very thin. I think it is a definite possibility.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mpdetails.asp?id='M4/11/20088:29:31AM'

Physical details are great, but she is most likely too old. Our Jane Doe is estimated between 16 -20. There are specific details that point to this age range. There is almost always a little wiggle room on the physicals, but the age should be pretty accurate.

I would love to see this one solved. The way in which she was killed was so horrible that she deserves some final dignity now.

Here is the DoeNetwork link. http://doenetwork.org/cases/588ufca.html

If you are prone to nightmares, you may want to read only the info that I provide as I will leave out the graphic parts.

She was found June 26, 1983 in Los Angeles County.
She had died the same day.
She was between the ages of 16-20 and was very petite.
She was White and Blond.
The only item found with her was a gold chain with a small gold metal charm, which is pictured at the link.
Her badly burned body was found inside a badly burned trailer. I will leave the rest of the circumstances around her discovery for those who wish to look them up.
A man named Melvin Smith was convicted of her murder after admitting to beating her until she didn't move any more. He was sentenced to 25 years.
He said that he had picked her up about 4 a.m. at Sepulveda and Ventura Boulevard.
THe entire crime, beating and fire, was committed at the abandoned trailer, which was located at 13707 Little Tujunga Canyon Drive, Crescenta Valley, CA.

Looks to me as if the dental age est. was put at between 15 ? and 28..

I'm just bumping this case up. Any new info or developments? I really feel this one has a good chance of being solved if it got more exposure

Just bumping this up, have not been able to find any info on the killer melvin smith

If someone follows up on this, ask if the perp is out and when he got out as well as full name...Something tells me that Melvin is not, but I could be wrong. I am curious as to if this was a one shot deal for this guy....I some how doubt it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomuSJ
Back