CA CA - Los Angeles Co., WhtFem 588UFCA, 16-28, in burned trailer, Jun'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This Melvin Smith HAS to exist, right?! Or did at one time. I can’t find anything on this case or him.

That has to be him!! Thanks so much for locating this!

“The man, charged with first degree murder and arson in 1984 and out on parole since 2016, reportedly absconded his parole in August 2019 from Ohio, where he was approved to live. His last known legal residence was Los Angeles, however.

A declaration from the state of California requested a “No Bail Fully Extraditable Arrest Warrant” for Smith to be issued by the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

upload_2021-1-6_17-17-0.jpeg
Melvin Carol Smith (63)

Last edited:
Re: Melvin Smith

MELVIN CAROL SMITH Record Of Arrest In Knox County KY 396149

I’m trying to find newspaper articles about him or the incident, but something tells me he wasn’t caught immediately after this girl was found. If he was sentenced to 25 years and out on parole in 2016, CA wouldn’t want a no bail arrest warrant put out on him because he would have completed his 25 year sentence. Unless he had/has additional charges. This guy just seems like bad news.

Re: Melvin Smith

MELVIN CAROL SMITH Record Of Arrest In Knox County KY 396149

I’m trying to find newspaper articles about him or the incident, but something tells me he wasn’t caught immediately after this girl was found. If he was sentenced to 25 years and out on parole in 2016, CA wouldn’t want a no bail arrest warrant put out on him because he would have completed his 25 year sentence. Unless he had/has additional charges. This guy just seems like bad news.

he may have got 25L but if he was bad behaved in prison that doesnt guarantee that he got parole at 25, ppl do longer sometimes.

he may have got 25L but if he was bad behaved in prison that doesnt guarantee that he got parole at 25, ppl do longer sometimes.
He definitely did not complete his sentence or he wouldn’t have been released on parole...simply discharged. Thus the no bail fully extraditable arrest warrant. They want him back for something relatively serious. I’m guessing for violating his parole on the murder/arson charge.

I was more or less trying to figure out when he started his sentence so I’d know when in the newspapers to start looking. I couldn’t find anything about this particular case though. I found some unrelated arrests for a Melvin C. Smith (not sure it’s our guy) in Cali around 1990, which could be when this guy was arrested for the murder. That’d mean he was paroled at around the 25 year mark in his sentence, whatever that may be. Regardless, I hope they lock him back up for a long time.

I

really think this looks like a very possible match. Does anyone know if it's been checked? Sorry I'm new to this so not sure how these things work

You can go to www.namus.gov and sign up for an account - then you can check who has been compared and entered into the system (noting that sometimes LE don't always enter their manual comparisons and it seems auto-comparisons, where both the missing and the unidentified have DNA, don't list unless LE enter them)

You can go to www.namus.gov and sign up for an account - then you can check who has been compared and entered into the system (noting that sometimes LE don't always enter their manual comparisons and it seems auto-comparisons, where both the missing and the unidentified have DNA, don't list unless LE enter them)
I don’t see her on the list (taking into account what you said about the manual comparison) how do I go about getting her looked at for a match? Thank you

I don’t see her on the list (taking into account what you said about the manual comparison) how do I go about getting her looked at for a match? Thank you
You can submit it as a potential match through Doe Network if you do not want to contact the agency handling the case. There is a panel that reviews the potential match and if they think it's a good possibility, they'll submit it to LE / the ME. Here is the link to info about the panel and there is a link on there for the submission form for the potential match: Potential Match Panel.

If you want to be sure the agency sees the potential match (because it might not get submitted to LE/ME) if the panel votes not to submit it), you can submit it directly to the agency handling her case. The only agency listed in NamUs for this Jane Doe is the LA County ME. The email address for their ID Unit is IDUnit@coroner.lacounty.gov. They usually respond fairly quickly. I hope this helps!

Bumping. I wonder why there’s never been an attempt at a sketch of this victim

What do you think about Gwendolyn Susie King? She was dropped off at a bus station in order to travel from Oklahoma City to San Bernardino and it is unknown, where exactly she went missing.
According to her Charley Project Page she was not reported missing until 2022, which is consistent with her NamUs Page being created in 2022.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back