CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tent openings (entryway) are rarely large enough to stand up straight when entering, Anyone sneaking into a tent to shoot someone would have to bend down to enter and exit, carrying a shotgun. Taking a risk of getting the shotgun tangled in the door panels that are left askew if not tied back.

I think it is all in the poor wording of some. Yes, he was shot while he was inside the tent, but the shooter may not have been.

If you look upthread, and in thread 1, you'll see that the tent has been identified as a large older REI tent that is tall enough to stand up in and can be divided into two rooms inside.

There's no confirmation that it was a shotgun, or not a shotgun, or anything else.

I think it's pretty strange to say it's a theory he was shot inside the tent if they don't mean shot from within the tent. IMO his location when he was shot isn't a theory so much as an absolute based on the blood spatter evidence, with absence of blood spatter evidence outside the tent.

They wouldn't have had any blood spatter evidence at the point when that statement was made, very soon after the incident. At that point, all they would have had to go on would be the surface appearance of the scene they responded to. It would be entirely possible for later evidence to have changed their mind.

We don't even know whether the injuries were large enough to cause extensive spatter. In theory he might have had an altercation by the bathroom, been shot, not realized he was injured, and collapsed back in his tent from hidden bleeding or other injury.

This article was linked in the first thread but it shows that the autopsy report should have not been talked about or released. Just shows the inconsistencies and varied descriptions of the injury T may have experienced.

" Assistant Chief Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County coroner’s office tells PEOPLE Tristan Beaudette passed away from a single shot to the head."

"I don’t believe there was multiple gunshots,” says Winter. Beaudette was pronounced at 5:21 a.m. Winter says his autopsy has not been completed but that a full report would be available once transcribed."

Calif. Father Killed in Front of Daughters While Camping Was Shot in the Head: Coroner

I looked in the marijuana growing activity around Malibu Creek State Park and here are just a couple of tidbits that I found about it:

Agencies Prepare for Pot Growing Season This would fit into the timeframes we discussed with the exemption of the January incident.

I picture they would have night-vision equipment at a minimum and from other sources I have found they are definitely armed and have shot at hikers that discovered their illegal growing fields.

The War On Drugs In Our Backyards? Rangers Warn Marijuana Cultivation A Growing Problem In SoCal

Region's rugged terrain draws pot farms

Some interesting comments about Topanga State Park. It's not Malibu Creek State Park but still around Malibu:

Grass Roots - Los Angeles Magazine

Pro's of this idea being related: Big money at stake for the growers, so they have an interest in keeping people away from their growing operations. Growing does happen in state parks and has happened in Malibu Creek before. They are armed and probably mostly active at night, a high powered pellet rifle has been used to shoot at people before and ammunition has been found. They could be trying to scare people away at night from the park surroundings so they can move around undetected. With the warning to stay away from midnight to morning that would have been kind of achieved. Maybe the idea is to scare away hikers in general so they don't go looking deeper in the canyons.

Con's of this idea being related: These are older reports, no articles about recently discovered growing activity in the area. Now that it's legalized maybe this is less of an issue? TB and the couple sleeping in the car weren't actively roaming around in the hiking areas and the camping area specifically doesn't seem like it would pose a threat to the growers with the exemption that they want to keep people out in general?

As always just thinking out loud.

This is what I love about Websleuths. So many different theories to consider, mull over, research. I hadn't even considered the pot farm issue.

Excellent input!

This is what I love about Websleuths. So many different theories to consider, mull over, research. I hadn't even considered the pot farm issue.

Excellent input!

This is where my mind went from the very beginning!

I looked in the marijuana growing activity around Malibu Creek State Park and here are just a couple of tidbits that I found about it:

Agencies Prepare for Pot Growing Season This would fit into the timeframes we discussed with the exemption of the January incident.

I picture they would have night-vision equipment at a minimum and from other sources I have found they are definitely armed and have shot at hikers that discovered their illegal growing fields.

The War On Drugs In Our Backyards? Rangers Warn Marijuana Cultivation A Growing Problem In SoCal

Region's rugged terrain draws pot farms

Some interesting comments about Topanga State Park. It's not Malibu Creek State Park but still around Malibu:

Grass Roots - Los Angeles Magazine

Pro's of this idea being related: Big money at stake for the growers, so they have an interest in keeping people away from their growing operations. Growing does happen in state parks and has happened in Malibu Creek before. They are armed and probably mostly active at night, a high powered pellet rifle has been used to shoot at people before and ammunition has been found. They could be trying to scare people away at night from the park surroundings so they can move around undetected. With the warning to stay away from midnight to morning that would have been kind of achieved. Maybe the idea is to scare away hikers in general so they don't go looking deeper in the canyons.

Con's of this idea being related: These are older reports, no articles about recently discovered growing activity in the area. Now that it's legalized maybe this is less of an issue? TB and the couple sleeping in the car weren't actively roaming around in the hiking areas and the camping area specifically doesn't seem like it would pose a threat to the growers with the exemption that they want to keep people out in general?

As always just thinking out loud.

Thank you for concisely presenting this theory! I tend toward big picture. So here are some thoughts on this subject:

1) TB avid outdoorsman looking forward to this time with daughters. JMO

2) Unknown what time they arrived at MCSP. They could have arrived early and gone for a hike.
JMO

3) On this hike, they could have seen something pertaining to an illegal grow, ie tubing, water diverted from stream, dead animals from the toxicants used at the grow, etc. Inadvertently told the wrong person or was watched while he inspected/took photos on his phone. Even though the grows are deep in remote areas, they have to tap into water that may be on well traveled areas and the Santa Monica Hills presents that issue as posed in this article:

The Frog and the Pot Farmer Battle for Land in the Santa Monica Mountains

4) Perhaps TB stumbled upon the kill site of Francisco Reynaldo Cruz (52 year old stabbing victim dumped in drainage ditch by Hindu Temple on 5/16) and inadvertently told the wrong person what he saw or was being watched while he investigated site/took photos on his phone.

Names Of 2 Men Killed Near Malibu Released – 99.1 KBUU is RadioMalibu.Net

5) As ScorpioRising indicated upthread & also in above PBS article about frog, illegal pot grows will utilize any means to scare people away, including rifles. But since TB was a lover of camping, hiking and all things outdoors, as well as a scientist, IMHO he knew about the huge problem illegal California pot farms dealt with - which is the highly toxic pesticide, Carbofuran, that is illegal in the US, Canada and the EU, and what signs to look for in animal life. “It is so powerful, that a QUARTER OF A TEASPOON can kill a 300 pound bear.” As the laborers have to pack in everything they bring in with them to camp to last an entire season, this chemical is popular to them bc they have to bring so little of it.

Study: Deadly Pesticide Use Increases at Illegal Pot Farms

All of this is what I have been perculating over since last Friday or more correctly when TB’s brother said the shot was horizontal, when TB’s brother was so adamant that the family felt it was a random act, and that TB’s brother spoke to non-MSM site. Also, I do not believe in coincidences as pertains to Francisco’s body being dumped weeks before TB’s death just yards away? Again, JMO.

Prayers out to the family and to the sweet girls who had to witness their father go through this horrible death firsthand.

Some additional FYI background on the LASD Lost Hills substation.

"Just like The Departed", Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's station under investigation again

I'm linking to this because one of the key issues here is the lack of public information on what is now eight 'random' shootings since 2016. It makes you wonder what the heck is going on at the Lost Hills substation - and once you start looking there, you have numerous reasons to question this LASD unit's role in public safety.

"Just like The Departed", Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's station under investigation again

I'm linking to this because one of the key issues here is the lack of public information on what is now eight 'random' shootings since 2016. It makes you wonder what the heck is going on at the Lost Hills substation - and once you start looking there, you have numerous reasons to question this LASD unit's role in public safety.

Funny, I just read that yesterday night also and was pretty shocked about some of the reports about Lost Hills PD. Makes you wonder for sure. Are they in charge of the investigation into TB's death?

Funny, I just read that yesterday night also and was pretty shocked about some of the reports about Lost Hills PD. Makes you wonder for sure. Are they in charge of the investigation into TB's death?

Yes. Just as they're also in charge of the investigations of several of the other shootings. IIRC, two or three are under State Park jurisdiction.

Ugh. That doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to handle this matter.

If you look upthread, and in thread 1, you'll see that the tent has been identified as a large older REI tent that is tall enough to stand up in and can be divided into two rooms inside.

There's no confirmation that it was a shotgun, or not a shotgun, or anything else.

Yes, you can stand up in the tent after entering, but the OP said there are few tents in which you can stand up WHILE entering, before you get fully inside, and that is true. You do not enter a tent as if just walking through a door. You have to bend down to enter.

Yes, you can stand up in the tent after entering, but the OP said there are few tents in which you can stand up WHILE entering, before you get fully inside, and that is true. You do not enter a tent as if just walking through a door. You have to bend down to enter.

Yeah, I know. I camp. I know what tents are like.

This particular tent is about six and a half feet in the center, with tall doors. (Sorry, don't have the specs in front of me.) Somebody tall would have to bend, but I wouldn't.

How tall was TB, anyway? I don't recall seeing that.

From The Local Malibu Facebook Page The Local Malibu
UPDATE ON MALIBU CREEK STATE PARK SHOOTING:

Sources on the inside told me the following RE increased patrols:

“My information is that State Park have a headquarters and occasionally patrol the park grounds but not the outer perimeters, only inside the park.

Basically, at night they respond to a problem rather than look for one. I hear that the Rangers have been in fear for a couple years now (because of the shootings).

Early morning shift on the Sheriffs department requires two man crime cars. I don’t know if the State works one or two man patrols.

The Sheriffs respond to the park under mutual aid, but other than the rescue team, do not regularly patrol any state park facility.

There’s not enough Sheriffs to cover their primary patrol coverage.”

Basically, cover your *advertiser censored** people. Don’t put yourself in harms way. State Parks is not distributing information to visitors at the park and does not have flyers posted in the park.

If it's true that there are still no flyers posted at the park entrace about what has happened...that is crazy! People have a right to know!

If it's true that there are still no flyers posted at the park entrace about what has happened...that is crazy! People have a right to know!

Wow. Either the police Dept is 100% inept, or they already have a good idea who did it (based on whatever evidence they have found) and are gathering enough info to make an arrest. At this point, I have no idea which one, if either, it is.

Another big picture theory that is JMO that has been percolating in my brain bc TB is a scientist is the HUGE trial starting in a few days against Monsanto.
THOUGHTS:
- Was TB perhaps as a scientist a subpoenaed expert witness? JMO
- This would support the family’s move to the Bay Area as the trial will be in San Francisco. JMO
- Would also support why TB did not change LinkdIn page as he may have intended to return to position after trial. JMO
- There has been no statements in the MSM or on-line that I can find from fellow campers, park docents, Park Rangers or hikers that were at the camp ground that day or the day prior.
- The family has been so very very quiet, except the initial statement & the one strange non-MSM interview TB’s brother gave...no reward offer, no kudos to law enforcement, no request to public for help with additional info, etc.

Monsanto Faces Man Dying of Cancer in Roundup Trial

Again, all my own opinion...just trying to make sense out of a senseless act. Thoughts - pros/cons always welcomed.

This article was linked in the first thread but it shows that the autopsy report should have not been talked about or released. Just shows the inconsistencies and varied descriptions of the injury T may have experienced.

" Assistant Chief Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County coroner’s office tells PEOPLE Tristan Beaudette passed away from a single shot to the head."

"I don’t believe there was multiple gunshots,” says Winter. Beaudette was pronounced at 5:21 a.m. Winter says his autopsy has not been completed but that a full report would be available once transcribed."

Calif. Father Killed in Front of Daughters While Camping Was Shot in the Head: Coroner
How would a coroner know how many shots were fired? He sounds like a big mouth to me who is just talking out of his a-hole. His credibility is low IMHO.

The no-signs-posted at campground, no warnings going out to the public, etc... reminds me of the Tim Watkins case out of Colorado. Is it bec these things are happening in parks/public recreation areas that they are being handled so oddly? NO warnings posted after an event like this??... WTH??!!

Thanks, Carbuff. Let me repeat the link here so folks can look up current version themselves:

REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

Also, it's clear from the one available video that the front of the tent is very tall. This is typical for cabin-style, high-quality, 6-person tents.

The tent in the video could be as new as, like 3-4 years old. Maybe they bought it when they first had a child and needed a bigger tent to fit a family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member