CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Either the police Dept is 100% inept, or they already have a good idea who did it (based on whatever evidence they have found) and are gathering enough info to make an arrest. At this point, I have no idea which one, if either, it is.

I think LE knows exactly what happened. I would think the day areas would be closed as well if there was a mad sniper sp lurking around. Peace out because i think it is going to get bumpy soon, jmo.

Yeah, I know. I camp. I know what tents are like.

This particular tent is about six and a half feet in the center, with tall doors. (Sorry, don't have the specs in front of me.) Somebody tall would have to bend, but I wouldn't.

How tall was TB, anyway? I don't recall seeing that.
The peak height on this one is 75 inches; no problem for most people to get in upright. No vestibule is attached which might make getting into it more of a crouch.

Last edited:
Yes, you can stand up in the tent after entering, but the OP said there are few tents in which you can stand up WHILE entering, before you get fully inside, and that is true. You do not enter a tent as if just walking through a door. You have to bend down to enter.

See my response to this in my 2 prior threads addressed with affirmatives to Carbuff. Carbuff knows his/her tents!

There are hundred, if not thousands, of tent models that you can get into when standing up. Next time you go car camping, take a look!

More info relevant to the victim's site and equipment:

Most of the inexpensive cabin tents will get flattened in wind (totally flat; I have experienced this with a friend's tent), which is why the victim undoubtedly made the investment in camping with his family for many years; thus the barrel shaped roof (among other technical features) of this high-quality tent. It would do very well in "weather".

The victim was an experienced camper, incidentally. There is nothing flapping; the fly is taut and tidy; the tent is backed into a tree, which might have provided more shade but made the tent more susceptible to wind. This goes along with a picnic table area with one chair for each adult (BIL and victim) and nothing with food debris (these are kept in the car at many places by those familiar with wildlife behavior in campgrounds and who observe campground rules).

Last edited:
Just my opinion: I’m currently not of the belief that this was a targeted hit. I know there’s evil out there (10 yrs on WS, plus following true crime has revealed that over and over) but the presence of his daughters steers me away from that.

I do like to peek into family dynamics but nothing is pointing me in that direction.

I’m torn between someone taking a shot at whatever strikes their fancy, or related to something earlier in the day (altercation or perceived slight perhaps). Just my opinion and subject to change.

This is where my mind went from the very beginning!

Thank you for concisely presenting this theory! I tend toward big picture. So here are some thoughts on this subject:

1) TB avid outdoorsman looking forward to this time with daughters. JMO

2) Unknown what time they arrived at MCSP. They could have arrived early and gone for a hike.
JMO

3) On this hike, they could have seen something pertaining to an illegal grow, ie tubing, water diverted from stream, dead animals from the toxicants used at the grow, etc. Inadvertently told the wrong person or was watched while he inspected/took photos on his phone. Even though the grows are deep in remote areas, they have to tap into water that may be on well traveled areas and the Santa Monica Hills presents that issue as posed in this article:

The Frog and the Pot Farmer Battle for Land in the Santa Monica Mountains

4) Perhaps TB stumbled upon the kill site of Francisco Reynaldo Cruz (52 year old stabbing victim dumped in drainage ditch by Hindu Temple on 5/16) and inadvertently told the wrong person what he saw or was being watched while he investigated site/took photos on his phone.

Names Of 2 Men Killed Near Malibu Released – 99.1 KBUU is RadioMalibu.Net

5) As ScorpioRising indicated upthread & also in above PBS article about frog, illegal pot grows will utilize any means to scare people away, including rifles. But since TB was a lover of camping, hiking and all things outdoors, as well as a scientist, IMHO he knew about the huge problem illegal California pot farms dealt with - which is the highly toxic pesticide, Carbofuran, that is illegal in the US, Canada and the EU, and what signs to look for in animal life. “It is so powerful, that a QUARTER OF A TEASPOON can kill a 300 pound bear.” As the laborers have to pack in everything they bring in with them to camp to last an entire season, this chemical is popular to them bc they have to bring so little of it.

Study: Deadly Pesticide Use Increases at Illegal Pot Farms

All of this is what I have been perculating over since last Friday or more correctly when TB’s brother said the shot was horizontal, when TB’s brother was so adamant that the family felt it was a random act, and that TB’s brother spoke to non-MSM site. Also, I do not believe in coincidences as pertains to Francisco’s body being dumped weeks before TB’s death just yards away? Again, JMO.

Prayers out to the family and to the sweet girls who had to witness their father go through this horrible death firsthand.

(Ugh I'm horrified to hear about this pesticide!!)

The no-signs-posted at campground, no warnings going out to the public, etc... reminds me of the Tim Watkins case out of Colorado. Is it bec these things are happening in parks/public recreation areas that they are being handled so oddly? NO warnings posted after an event like this??... WTH??!!

There might not be a public hazard from the person of interest....

Just my opinion: I’m currently not of the belief that this was a targeted hit. I know there’s evil out there (10 yrs on WS, plus following true crime has revealed that over and over) but the presence of his daughters steers me away from that.

Diane Downs.... She savaged her own family on a deserted road. The evil don't always care about children or look out for their best interests. I would hate to eliminate a line of enquiry that might exclude a hit while the children were present.

Current cases? Look at McStay. The parents might well have been murdered in front of the kids.

I've been pondering whether professional jealousy might be the motive, but without more detailed knowledge of his work and professional situation, it's hard to see what it could be. Really he seems to be quite an ordinary nice guy. Wish I had known him.

I do like to peek into family dynamics but nothing is pointing me in that direction.

I’m torn between someone taking a shot at whatever strikes their fancy, or related to something earlier in the day (altercation or perceived slight perhaps). Just my opinion and subject to change.

Something made someone tick! I agree, the young daughters should have not experienced horror but whatever good morals we have, the sp or sp(s) did not have any morals and was ok with what happened.

Wow. Either the police Dept is 100% inept, or they already have a good idea who did it (based on whatever evidence they have found) and are gathering enough info to make an arrest. At this point, I have no idea which one, if either, it is.

If they have a good idea who killed TB, and it's not the random guy, that doesn't explain why they aren't warning campers of another shooter. So the lack of warning tells me nothing.

Another big picture theory that is JMO that has been percolating in my brain bc TB is a scientist is the HUGE trial starting in a few days against Monsanto.
THOUGHTS:
- Was TB perhaps as a scientist a subpoenaed expert witness? JMO
- This would support the family’s move to the Bay Area as the trial will be in San Francisco. JMO
- Would also support why TB did not change LinkdIn page as he may have intended to return to position after trial. JMO
- There has been no statements in the MSM or on-line that I can find from fellow campers, park docents, Park Rangers or hikers that were at the camp ground that day or the day prior.
- The family has been so very very quiet, except the initial statement & the one strange non-MSM interview TB’s brother gave...no reward offer, no kudos to law enforcement, no request to public for help with additional info, etc.

Monsanto Faces Man Dying of Cancer in Roundup Trial

Again, all my own opinion...just trying to make sense out of a senseless act. Thoughts - pros/cons always welcomed.

People just fly up for trial on the party's dime, not their own. I have never in all my years of practice heard of someone moving their entire family or even themselves because they might be a witness at a trial.

If they have a good idea who killed TB, and it's not the random guy, that doesn't explain why they aren't warning campers of another shooter. So the lack of warning tells me nothing.

Exactly.

Around here, there's a problem in the parks with vehicle break-ins in the parking lots. Smash a window, grab a purse, etc. No human confrontations or injuries.

Local LE has put signs in every lot at every park warning about break-ins, where they've been reported and a tel number to call to report a break-in or suspicious activity and/or tips on suspects.

And then the MCSP area has 8 shootings, 1 fatality, 1 injured person, a round recovered from inside a vehicle - and LASD is not posting anything?

You'd think at the very least they'd have a tipline and be seeking potential witnesses.

Exactly.
And then the MCSP area has 8 shootings, 1 fatality, 1 injured person, a round recovered from inside a vehicle - and LASD is not posting anything?

You'd think at the very least they'd have a tipline and be seeking potential witnesses.

I agree. Even if TB's case was separate and they already have an idea who did it...shouldn't there have been postings about the shootings at the biologist and the couple in the car in January 2017 already? You would think after those two incidents which they obviously don't know who did it or else they would have been resolved cases. Of course they would have way less campers..let's face it. If it turns out to be random....I'm smelling a lawsuit.

Both the biologist and the couple in interviews sounded to me like they felt they were not being taken seriously. Yet the Local Malibu claims on their Facebook page that the rangers were terrified.
I hear that the Rangers have been in fear for a couple years now (because of the shootings).
The Local Malibu
If true...shouldn't the public know before camping overnight?

Last edited:
Diane Downs.... She savaged her own family on a deserted road. The evil don't always care about children or look out for their best interests. I would hate to eliminate a line of enquiry that might exclude a hit while the children were present.

Current cases? Look at McStay. The parents might well have been murdered in front of the kids.
Umm...where did I suggest any line of inquiry be excluded? Hint: no where. I did *however* acknowledge that yes, I know evil exists. I expressed *my opinion* about this case. As have others. That’s all. o_O

Some additional FYI background on the LASD Lost Hills substation.

"Just like The Departed", Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's station under investigation again

I'm linking to this because one of the key issues here is the lack of public information on what is now eight 'random' shootings since 2016. It makes you wonder what the heck is going on at the Lost Hills substation - and once you start looking there, you have numerous reasons to question this LASD unit's role in public safety.
And they missed the head wound........:(

I don't know anything about postings at the park itself

A friend was out at the park entrance today and said she didn't see any postings.

There's also a notice up on the MCSP website:

California State Parks issues statement on fatal shooting at Malibu Creek State Park

Cell service is (very) spotty in the area so it would make sense to advise visitors as they drive in to the park.

In TB's case, he should have been able to make an informed choice about camping with small children in an area where gunshots (although rare) had been reported and even caused injury.

From The Local Malibu Facebook Page The Local Malibu

If it's true that there are still no flyers posted at the park entrace about what has happened...that is crazy! People have a right to know!

My guess is that "the State" stands to lose significant revenue if they close the whole park or scare too many people away during a holiday week. And they've probably never given the Park Rangers the personnel they need to more thoroughly patrol because that costs $ too. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member