CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This link has another good video showing both tents. (timestamp 0:31)

California father's killing at campsite leads to investigations into 7 past shootings - CNN

Did the entrances to the tents face each other? I am assuming they did. I am trying to figure out the BIL's vantage point upon hearing the shot.

Thanks. That clarifies a great deal. Those tents were facing one another. They are placed to optimize shade. They might be different years of the same tent: one seems to have taller walls than the other, but this might be an optical trick from the shadow or a different use of color. They are the same length and have barrel roofs.

Now I see that the cars aren't parked near the picnic table. The two Dads can't have been afraid, otherwise they would have put the cars in the spots nearer the tents.

I wonder if they had visitors before they went to bed, thus the empty spots? Alternatively—and maybe the simpler and therefore more likely explanation—the cars signified the space wasn't vacant: someone with no reservation couldn't have claimed it late at night.

Interesting that a drone must have been used to take the photo....this is getting more common in law enforcement, search and rescue, etc.

I can't make out 2 extra adult chairs in that photo. I see kid's chairs. Maybe the little ones were too young for that kind of chair?

Also, now that I see layout, we could re-visit the idea that the empty parking spot was used so the toddlers could run around without getting all dusty. That spot was in plain view of the adult chairs, so the kids would have been heavily supervised. In other words, there may have been several reasons for the 2 cars to be parked where they are, no reasons mutually exclusive.

If the victim's tent is the one on the right, the BIL's tent was in a direction that the shot could have been fired from? It also could have been fired at from the loop road presumably. With no cars in the parking spot, there was a clear path for the bullet. No way that's an accident. With the fly on, the walls of that tent would have been quite visible many nights of the month because they're light.

Ugh...the CBS News article says there was another shooting in the area around the same time on Monday morning...The Crime On-Line reporter misquoted her linked article. LE must have been talking about the 6/18/18 shooting of the Tesla.

<snipped by carbuff>

No, I'm pretty sure it's a new and different incident. The Tesla wasn't parked at park, it was driving down the road, wasn't it?

Ugh...the CBS News article says there was another shooting in the area around the same time on Monday morning...The Crime On-Line reporter misquoted her linked article. LE must have been talking about the 6/18/18 shooting of the Tesla.

The CBS News article that Crime On-Line links gives a perspective overhead photo of the campsite with both tents & cars:

View attachment 137583

Look at the photo in this post. Look how close #50 is to #49 and #51. Right across the loop road. And that is one of two directions with a clear view (like deep into it and broadside) into those sites. (The other obvious direction would be from one tent to the other at close range).

Behind #50 there are trees close in, indicating likely no shot could have come all the way through that site from the rear. If the bullet came from the far back of #50—there might be a fence back there), it would have to arc over some big trees.

Malibu Creek State Park - Campsite Photos and Camping Information

And #50 has a civilian vehicle in it in quoted post? So it was occupied and not vacant?

No way #50 didn't hear something.

Two obvious ways come to mind that a shot sound could have been unnoticed: the bang of the restroom door closing in the night, though it looked to me as though the restroom was new enough have the old-fashioned bang-y doors (nonetheless, if those campers were used to camping where there were bang-y doors, they could mistakenly have "heard" what they thought were bang-y doors) or significant snoring at #50 or #51 or nearby.

Last edited:
On "The Local Malibu" facebook page,
the post on June 23 @ 9:18pm discusses
the issue of the alleged targeted
shooting @ the Tesla hood latch that
the driver allegedly realized was
meant to make the hood pop up
while he was driving. The
aforementioned post, states the Tesla
was driving over Malibu Canyon &
the gunshot hit the car near the hindu
temple.

The Local Malibu

Last edited by a moderator:
For reference again, here's the link again to the tent that others identified TB's tent as: REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

The current tent online is an updated one from the victim's. The green-beige with orange trim is maybe >2 years old. Most of the features (except the colors?) are about the same apparently.

The current tent online is an updated one from the victim's. The green-beige with orange trim is maybe >2 years old. Most of the features (except the colors?) are about the same apparently.

Thanks! Here's a video from 2015 showing how to set it up and showing what it looks like. This one in the video has the orange trim.

Thanks! Here's a video from 2015 showing how to set it up and showing what it looks like. This one in the video has the orange trim.

Great! Man, you have to step on that tent to put the clips on? Awful in the rain or a muddy site.

Note this tent takes 2 (or more) to set it up, even though they make it look as though it's mostly one person. The two arc-ed ends will buckle under and flail all over the place while you're tensioning them unless two people steady them. And then the poles that aren't tensioned yet get into the trees, the bushes, the ground. That top pole? Boing boing boing, like ultra-long knitting needles until you can tension it into the grommets; the sleeve puckers up, the snaps slide up and down, the grommeted end pops out of the grommet while you're scampering to the other side of the tent. In the meantime, the tent has the net effect of jumping all over the place... LMAO.

This craziness is not an issue with a smaller tent, though it can be (e.g. on an REI 3-person I own).

All that pole-flailing is very hazardous with little kids around!

I have put up many big tents like this by myself: it's a major adventure and takes a lot of do-over. It's one of those "do not try this at home" kind of things.

I said all this 'cos you have to be pretty brave to plan a car camping trip without another adult, especially if you have little kids. The two men evidently helped each other.

Last edited:
Wait. Does that mean this Monday? July 2?

The OnLine Crime article does not seem like she watched the CBS link she attached as she stated the car from Monday shot was at MCSP, when the CBS link states LE states the car was shot nearby. I have found this to be true in reporting that is not MSM. So far the best timeline to go by is your’s, gitana1’s we just need to fill in a few spaces, I believe.

I would really like to see the tesla/ 4 days after shooting clarified. I'm wondering if there really was a later incident?

The OnLine Crime article does not seem like she watched the CBS link she attached as she stated the car from Monday shot was at MCSP, when the CBS link states LE states the car was shot nearby. I have found this to be true in reporting that is not MSM. So far the best timeline to go by is your’s, gitana1’s we just need to fill in a few spaces, I believe.

Can we please bump gitana's latest timeline, tia.

@katydid23 - I used to go to Agoura to a really "small" bar type place. It served the BEST chili!! Really small - they had a woodstove in the back where you could sit. And of course a pool table. Now for the life of me can't remember the name.... well shoot it was over 40 plus years ago! LOL!

Sorry off topic....

Sounds like a great place.

And yes, there is a LOT of weird stuff that goes down in the parks outside LA that no one talks about - but we were privy to because we took kids hiking in every park in the Los Angeles area - so we'd hear all the creepy stuff (including killings that never made the news). I mean, Los Angeles is a crrraazzzyyy, sketchy place - and these parks are really close to it.

Something I learned in NOCO as a local is that there's all kiiiinds of things that don't make the news. I personally knew of someone having their windshield shot out which never made the news. Moo.

I was thinking about this earlier. I bet there are some other car shooting incidents we don't even know about. In fact I'd bet the farm on it. Question is, imo, are these related to Tristan. There's a fair chance they are not related, imo.

I always love to see input from someone with more detailed knowledge! Can you tell us where the one building is in relation to the campground that you have mentioned? Did you start hiking with the group at 6am usually? So you or some of the youth would have arrived sometime before 6am? Was this a seasonal job? Have you noticed homeless in the park? Do you know where the ranger station is located? Oh and one more...Do you know which kind of weapons the rangers carry in this park?

Additionally, and sorry if this has already been addressed, how far are the bathroom facilities? Guess I could look it up...I realize he was shot in his tent, was just thinking about possible encounters earlier in the day.

Last edited:
I would really like to see the tesla/ 4 days after shooting clarified. I'm wondering if there really was a later incident?

Can we please bump gitana's latest timeline, tia.

Sounds like a great place.

$$ American (Traditional), Steakhouses Edit, Opens a popupEdit categories
Write a Review Add Photo Share, Opens a popup
Save, Opens a popup

• 258s.jpg

• I just got onto this thread today, so excuse my ignorance but does anyone know if the bullet that hit the Tesla was compared to the one that killed the father? For that matter do we know what kind of gun killed him? I've heard rifle?
According to The Local Malibu FB
post on June 23 @ 9:18pm, the Tesla
driver called in a report to LE, however they have yet to pick up
the ammo evidence. The post did
not discuss what the ammo was.
In reference to Tristan Beaudette,
there has been no further details on
type of weapon that I'm aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics