CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the shooting of the Tesla
on June 18, 2018, one article stated
the bullet hit the hood latch in such
a way that the hood opened. Sounded
like a trained sharp shooter. Does
anyone know where this article was?

I don't recall this but would love to see this.

Man I wish Foxfire was here with us. He would have all types of input, being the outdoorsman he was.
I'm reminded him because of our discussions about possible military experience of perps in other cases.

Last edited:
My friend and I were sitting at a picnic table. There are homeless people that live there from time to time and on this day there were two men occupying one sleeping bag. One was on his stomach with his arms extended in what I’d describe as a sniper position. Suddenly we heard a popping sound and realized he had a gun. I had to leave due to an appointment but reported it to park personnel on my way out. My friend got out of there, as he was on a bike, so he didn’t get to talk to the police. The lifeguard told me later that the police came but he didn’t know if they had apprehended the shooter or not. Later I emailed him a picture & then also reported it to a larger Parks Dept. Office, as I mentioned earlier.
I really appreciate your advice & find the 18-22 miles observation interesting.

Anyone with information on the case was asked to call the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tipsters can also call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS.
Man shot to death at Malibu Creek State Park while camping with daughters in Calabasas – Daily News

I just left a very large city park about 18 Miles NE of Malibu Creek SP. It’s day use only and is very popular for picnicking, jogging, bicycling, & has a large playground. I go there every day including weekends & holidays. I wanted to report the stunning presence of LAPD patrols there this morning. I can’t help but feel that it may be in response to these shootings now in the news.
A friend and I witnessed a shooter there with a long-gun (probably B.B. gun) in April 2017. The lifeguard called the police & they responded with 3 units. Unfortunately, I don’t know if they caught the guy or not. We have a picture of him that we gave to the Parks Dept. at the time. If this MCSP shooting turns out to be random & the police ask for the public’s help I will certainly report it.

There's a random shooter out there regardless of whether or not TB was killed by one. So why not report it?

Re: LE

I'm surprised to see the comments here along the lines of 'I'm sure LE is working very hard on this' and 'we aren't LE' and 'we don't know what LE knows' and '"LE isn't giving much info because they don't want to damage the integrity of the investigation'. All the usual lines about how hard-working and noble LE is.

If LE had been all of those wonderful things, there's a good chance we wouldn't be typing up posts on this murder. If they'd been taking the previous reports of gunshots seriously, if they'd been taking James Rogers's shotgun injuries seriously, if they'd treated Meliss Tantangelo's car shooting like a potentially life-threatening incident, if they'd gleaned from the Tesla shooting just days before that the MCPS-area shooter might be back in action - if LASD had done any of those things (and they should have done all of them), there might be no murder to talk about.

The fact is, LASD is on the back foot. They might be scrambling now and devoting all sorts of resources but, to put it mildly, local LE and state park public safety have effed up majorly by not posting warning and information flyers in the park and around the area and by not taking a more aggressive investigative stance on incidents in which people were very lucky to not be seriously hurt or killed.

I think those are all my comments.

Their failure to issue warnings or publicize info about those shootings certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

That doesn't change the fact that we are not LE. We don't have access to their information. To their evidence. We don't have access to their resources.

A man is now dead. It appears clear they're working hard on this now.

Hopefully they are getting assistance from other agencies that may have more experience, better resources and more objectivity than this substation may have.

If it seems they aren't doing what they need to, are bungling, ignoring leads or allowing the public to be at risk, the local community and I think us websleuthers and hopefull the loved ones of TB, will hold their feet to the fire and try to hold them accountable.

But so far, in the context of this specific homicide, it looks like it's being investigated thoroughly.

A little too late but fingers crossed they will get the answers necessary to solving the case.

I think those are all my comments.

There were a number of posters making the same sort of comments, like you see on many WS threads. I wasn't singling anyone out, just pointing out the vague, perhaps reflexive LE praise-ology that might not be compatible with reality.

We like to think those charged with public safety are in fact doing their jobs but there are many reasons - posted on this thread - to be skeptical about the Lost Hills substation and the quality of their work.

Yes, but the mistakes LE makes are seldom because they don't work hard or don't care.

True. And it doesn't change the fact that we don't have access to their info. We just don't.

And we have zero right to that info because we are not LE. Which was really what those comments were about, in response to questions as to why we aren't being made privy to what they know. And why more info isn't being publicized.

Just because we have qualms about the efficacy of this substation doesn't mean they should suddenly publish what they know to the general public. Doesn't make sense.

I agree. I wonder whether they have any already since sometimes biologist put these up to check for mountain lion activity etc, right?
Yes...good thinking.

Lions in the Santa Monica Mountains? - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

"The California Department of Fish & Wildlife is responsible for managing mountain lions in the state of California and determining when a mountain lion is a threat to public safety."

Mailing Address:
26876 Mulholland Highway
Calabasas, CA 91302

(*I monitor tracking in my area of CO...)

Mountain lion P-23 killed on Malibu Canyon Road

""We've been tracking P-23 since she was just a few weeks old and have documented her dispersal from her mom, establishment of a home range as an adult, and birth to three litters of kittens," said Jeff Sikich, biologist for the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area."

Last edited:
True. And it doesn't change the fact that we don't have access to their info. We just don't.

And we have zero right to that info because we are not LE. Which was really what those comments were about, in response to questions as to why we aren't being made privy to what they know. And why more info isn't being publicized.

The public does have a right to information which is why you have legislation like on a federal level like FOIA and, in California, the California Public Records Act. An amendment to the California state constitution states very clearly that 'access to information concerning the conduct of the people's business is a fundamental and necessary right of every person in this state' and also that it's a basic right of citizenship.

It's the government agency that needs to justify keeping things secret.

Just because we have qualms about the efficacy of this substation doesn't mean they should suddenly publish what they know to the general public. Doesn't make sense.

You're conflating some things here and restating it in a way that I most certainly did not express in my earlier post. You're claiming that I said that LASD should publish what they know because the Lost Hills substation has a troubled recent history? Really?

A good discussion will often feature different opinions and back-and-forths but it's against the spirit of a good discussion to twist another person's words.

The public does have a right to information which is why you have legislation like on a federal level like FOIA and, in California, the California Public Records Act. An amendment to the California state constitution states very clearly that 'access to information concerning the conduct of the people's business is a fundamental and necessary right of every person in this state' and also that it's a basic right of citizenship.

The public, however, does not have a right to information that could potentially jeopardize an investigation, which I believe is what Gitana is referring to, although I don't want to put words in their mouth.

There were a number of posters making the same sort of comments, like you see on many WS threads. I wasn't singling anyone out, just pointing out the vague, perhaps reflexive LE praise-ology that might not be compatible with reality.

We like to think those charged with public safety are in fact doing their jobs but there are many reasons - posted on this thread - to be skeptical about the Lost Hills substation and the quality of their work.
Well, I think we need to separate the homicide detectives, forensics team, (etc?), from the LASD deputies who are part of the Lost Hills substation. "LE" could mean all, some - don't know. I'm hopeful that the detectives and forensics team are doing a good job with whatever evidence they've been able to secure.
I think what investigators are asking for from the public are witness observations - before, during, and/or after the shooting.

"Three days after a father was found shot to death during a Southern California camping trip, another camper reported a shooting at the same Malibu campground.

According to CBS News, a man reported finding gunshots on his parked vehicle at Malibu Creek State Park on Monday. There were no injuries reported."

Second shooting at Malibu campground where father found murdered in front of two young daughters

Ugh...the CBS News article says there was another shooting in the area around the same time on Monday morning...The Crime On-Line reporter misquoted her linked article. LE must have been talking about the 6/18/18 shooting of the Tesla.

The CBS News article that Crime On-Line links gives a perspective overhead photo of the campsite with both tents & cars:

upload_2018-7-4_16-49-26.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member