CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Which leaves us with a camper? There's nowhere for them to park in the campground that isn't at a campsite I don't think. But I could be wrong.

Or someone came in on foot from a nearby residence. I dont have the article handy but I did read where LE said that when they got the earlier reports about the other shootings they increased their patrols of the area and "nearby residences".

I was surprised to see that. They may have been referring to that school for problem kids that we have talked about. Or maybe there are some isolated homes in the area.

ETA I found the wording they used

"“The Malibu/Lost Hills Station has previously increased patrols in the areas nearby following the prior incidents, and has canvassed the surrounding residences in an effort to obtain any workable information,""

There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?

Yes. Which leaves us with a camper? There's nowhere for them to park in the campground that isn't at a campsite I don't think. But I could be wrong.

There are parking lots for day use hikers but I would expect that when the park gates close at 10PM, the park rangers would make sure those day use lots are cleared out.

I still don't understand why LE isn't telling us more. Knowing what kind of bullet it was is crucial, as is the angle of the bullet. And I'd imagine bullets enter the body differently depending on whether it's from right next to his head vs. many feet away. There are so many other things - things that they know but aren't telling us. But they're asking the public for help. How can the public help them if they're not telling us what they know? I'm new to this forum; does this happen a lot?

There are parking lots for day use hikers but I would expect that when the park gates close at 10PM, the park rangers would make sure those day use lots are cleared out.
Yes, they do - because they have to do a search if there is a car and no one comes to claim it. I've got lost before and left my car in the day parking lot, and rangers came to find me.

Re: plinking

This morning, I was out riding my horse (rural area, not in California) and someone was plinking over at a neighboring farm. I could here the pop of the pellets and the clink of the target. (FWIW, it sounded like he was using a target trap - I should add that I shoot competition air pistol so I know my sounds).

My horse lifted his head and looked in the direction of the noise on the first shot. After that, he completely ignored it. I can guarantee you anything high-powered would have got more of a reaction from him. But plinking is something that sounds innocuous. You don't reach for the phone to cal 911.

It really bugs me that LASD was dismissing earlier incidents as plinking. They know better.

Excellent find and all are valid points.
2-Good point about a possible disgruntled ranger. Maybe a ranger was fired from there and is now taking out revenge on the park because they feel wronged.

I don't think we are allowed to quote from Yelp but I highly recommend reading through the 39 reviews that are not currently recommended on the bottom.

I still don't understand why LE isn't telling us more. Knowing what kind of bullet it was is crucial, as is the angle of the bullet. And I'd imagine bullets enter the body differently depending on whether it's from right next to his head vs. many feet away. There are so many other things - things that they know but aren't telling us. But they're asking the public for help. How can the public help them if they're not telling us what they know? I'm new to this forum; does this happen a lot?

Yes, all the time. It's commonly referred to as "keeping things close to the vest in order to preserve the integrity of the investigation." :)

There are quite a few residences on the other side of Las Virgenes and on Mulholland. They're the sort of residences lived in by the kind of people who expect local LE to be looking out after their interests. Meaning that if the person who's been taking pot shots was, to use a made-up example, one of their kids, they would expect it to be handled very quietly indeed. Very expensive looking spreads.

There are also several places, like the museum and the temple, that look like they could potentially have staff living there for tourist season.

The timing of the shooting incidents just seems so tightly tied to summer...there's only that one outlier.

Thanks everyone for your input, theories and research. I am leaning along these lines:

The primary motive of a thrill killer is to induce pain or terror in their victims, which provides stimulation and excitement for the killer. They seek the adrenaline rush provided by hunting and killing victims. Thrill killers murder only for the kill; usually the attack is not prolonged, and there is no sexual aspect. Usually the victims are strangers, although the killer may have followed them for a period of time. Thrill killers can abstain from killing for long periods of time and become more successful at killing as they refine their murder methods. Many attempt to commit the perfect crime and believe they will not be caught.

What are the different types of serial killers? - Psychology of Psychopaths 2a

Thrill killers are mostly male and teenage, but they do not otherwise have a typical profile, experts say. Since different people have different standards of success and can feel wronged for various reasons, it is difficult to categorize thrill killers in cooker-cutter criminal profiles. They can range from a quiet 30-something-year-old office worker to an angst-filled unpopular teenager to, allegedly in Hirte's case, someone who looks like a winner.

Thrill killers' common denominator is that they feel inadequate or minimalized and are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What Drives 'Thrill' Killings?

Their unpredictable nature makes them not only dangerous, but hard to detect.
[...]
“They look like normal people and they fly under the radar.”
[...]
In that regard, everyone is a target: “You just never know if it is completely random.”
[...]
Jack Levin, a criminologist from the US Northeastern University, has written extensively about thrill kills. He believes they are driven by feelings of failure and of not being in control. While many openly talk about wanting to kill, others give no warning at all.

Mr Levin says most thrill killers are young males, but it’s difficult to neatly categorise them. Most importantly, they all feel inadequate in some way and their crimes are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What makes thrill killers tick?

These are examples of thrill killers:
Duncan teens charged; accused of murdering student for ‘fun’
'Bored' Teen Convicted of Murder in Shooting of Australian Student Chris Lane

Last edited:
I'm assuming LE is working this case hard and thoroughly. And that they already know a lot. I hope that assumption isn't naive.

I don't want this to be a dead end, unsolved mystery.
Yes, all the time. It's commonly referred to as "keeping things close to the vest in order to preserve the integrity of the investigation." :)
Sorry if this is a stupid question - but why would they do that, And ask for the public's help? How are we supposed to help if they don't tell us muc
There are quite a few residences on the other side of Las Virgenes and on Mulholland. They're the sort of residences lived in by the kind of people who expect local LE to be looking out after their interests. Meaning that if the person who's been taking pot shots was, to use a made-up example, one of their kids, they would expect it to be handled very quietly indeed. Very expensive looking spreads.

There are also several places, like the museum and the temple, that look like they could potentially have staff living there for tourist season.

The timing of the shooting incidents just seems so tightly tied to summer...there's only that one outlier.
Yes. Those are million dollar houses. Very, very, Very expensive.

Thanks everyone for your input, theories and research. I am leaning along these lines:

The primary motive of a thrill killer is to induce pain or terror in their victims, which provides stimulation and excitement for the killer. They seek the adrenaline rush provided by hunting and killing victims. Thrill killers murder only for the kill; usually the attack is not prolonged, and there is no sexual aspect. Usually the victims are strangers, although the killer may have followed them for a period of time. Thrill killers can abstain from killing for long periods of time and become more successful at killing as they refine their murder methods. Many attempt to commit the perfect crime and believe they will not be caught.

What are the different types of serial killers? - Psychology of Psychopaths 2a

Thrill killers are mostly male and teenage, but they do not otherwise have a typical profile, experts say. Since different people have different standards of success and can feel wronged for various reasons, it is difficult to categorize thrill killers in cooker-cutter criminal profiles. They can range from a quiet 30-something-year-old office worker to an angst-filled unpopular teenager to, allegedly in Hirte's case, someone who looks like a winner.

Thrill killers' common denominator is that they feel inadequate or minimalized and are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What Drives 'Thrill' Killings?

Their unpredictable nature makes them not only dangerous, but hard to detect.
[...]
“They look like normal people and they fly under the radar.”
[...]
In that regard, everyone is a target: “You just never know if it is completely random.”
[...]
Jack Levin, a criminologist from the US Northeastern University, has written extensively about thrill kills. He believes they are driven by feelings of failure and of not being in control. While many openly talk about wanting to kill, others give no warning at all.

Mr Levin says most thrill killers are young males, but it’s difficult to neatly categorise them. Most importantly, they all feel inadequate in some way and their crimes are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What makes thrill killers tick?

These are examples of thrill killers:
Duncan teens charged; accused of murdering student for ‘fun’
'Bored' Teen Convicted of Murder in Shooting of Australian Student Chris Lane

Only if they drove in. They could've parked at Tapia Park and walked over to the campground. It's a 48 minute walk, much of which is on a single track.

Or they could park at Camp Gonzales (I zoomed in and found no gates) and it juts up right against that single track that ends up at the campground.

Other than that there are several pull outs along Las Virgenes that someone at 4 in the morning could park on and probably not be noticed much, and walk quickly on foot to the campground.

Or just park on the road that leads to the Hindu Temple which is almost directly across the street from the entrance to the campgrounds. A person could easily jump Las Virgenes and there are secluded places to park by the temple. (I did street view). That would be a short stroll to the campgrounds.

Shiver.

I want to post a screen shot. Any info as to how?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but why would they do that, And ask for the public's help? How are we supposed to help if they don't tell us muc

Yes. Those are million dollar houses. Very, very, Very expensive.

They want the public's help but the more info they give publicly, the less helpful tips can be.

Example. Let's say that a witness comes forward and say they saw TB and his daughters playing in the park and some weird man seemed to be watching them. And following them. Let's say the police know what day the family arrived but did not publicize that. When LE asks the witness when he or she saw the weirdo, they say, "Thursday at around 3:00 p.m.."

Now the witness has more credibility because LE knows that indeed, the family arrived the day before at a certain time.

Or what if a witness comes forward and says, "I saw a man that looks like TB< arguing with some guy who seemed very angry. But I'm not sure because he was with another man who seemed to be trying to get him to leave, and they had four kids with them."

Now since it has not been divulged that he was there with his BIL and four kids, that witness might me more credible.

A few cases have been sunk due to info being divulged and many have since been solved due to keeping details private.

It's frustrating to us, but we are not LE. I just hope they're doing an excellent job. I don't fully trust that they can or will. I also hope they have help from the state Bureau of Investigations. They may be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat