CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't sound like people reported there were loud noises or even loud gunfire, just some sounds that they thought might be gunfire but maybe not, though maybe I'm recalling this incorrectly. With a campground that full and that quiet, most of the campground shoulda heard it. Neighboring sites should have had people rushing around, wailing, yelling....
I find this odd.
Maybe the gun had a silencer so it wasn't very disruptive?

Last edited:
margarita25: Please don't apologize. I believe we need occasional moments of levity when discussing these cases. I chuckled when I saw the dogs were the culprits :)
(soooo funny, still laughing about the bulldogs waking up the crazy camper lady, especially since I get crazy when I hear snoring...)
Thanks. So, things haven't changed much over the years. We can probably assume the shooter(s) had some type of flash light with them.

Head lamp, miner's lamp, would need hands free...light on gun additionally perhaps (light mount on shotguns?). Night vision goggles maybe as mentioned, etc. Moo.

(Site seems to be running better, now I can't blame my typos on the site.)

Eta:

"The PolyTac LED features solid state power regulation to provide users with maximum light output through the entire battery life. The Streamlight 88850 PolyTac is a handheld light that can be turned into a shotgun light. Being a handheld light it does not come with a mount for a shotgun."

Boom Stick! 4 Best Shotgun Lights 2018 [Don't Get Caught In The Dark]

"Knowing who your target is and what is behind your target is important. You don’t want to accidentally shoot a friend or family member because you couldn’t see. Having a shotgun light mounted to your shotgun allows you to see, but also disorients attackers. Shining a bright enough light directly into their eyes will hopefully scare them off so you won’t have to fire a shot."

Last edited:
Close range is key. Imo, takes away from a sniper who gets a thrill from being far away. Everything is moo. Don't want to speculate too much til I have more facts.

I don’t think all the shootings are related. In the other cases no one got hit. In this case they died from a shot to the head. All the difference in the world.
This is interesting and I can totally appreciate this post because years later LE can still not link certain "random" shootings in NOCO, despite the " hotzone" timing and locations (the current suspect is being charged for one murder..makes ya bonkers bc you wonder if someone else is still out there, or if this guy shot the others, but they just can't prove it).

Last edited:
There ya go, now you’re onto something. It’s what I’ve been thinking for a while . Of course it’s JMO.
The sound and light (if there was one, which maybe we can presume, or not) upon entry into the tent could have startled and arisen him.

So, via upstream, there were 2 holes in the tent, right? So, those then are presumably exits if the shots were fired within the tent?
Here's a weird thought. What if someone already knew there were random shootings there, so thought that would be a perfeCT foil...just a thought. But then they would have to know he was going to go camping there. Just thinking out loud about some different angles.

Last edited:
I have a feeling it wasn’t a shotgun used this time and that’s why LE hasn’t found a link yet.

Just like sometimes serial rapists/killers don't always necessarily have the same MO (Travis Forbes for example, different disposal methods, etc...), same with some serial shooters imo re: weapon and caliber. Some have many guns. I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself. LE is of course looking very close at victimology. So until then I'm not going to get all serial shooter yet. Trying not to anyway.

Last edited:
Just like sometimes serial rapists killers don't always ne essarily have the same MO (Travis Forbes for example, different disposal methods, etc...), same with serial shooters imo. Many have many guns. I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself. LE is of course looking very close at victimology. So until then I'm not going to get all serial shooter yet. Trying not to anyway.
I agree that it could be the same person/persons involved in all these shootings. I just don’t think LE has had enough time to sort through all the evidence from every case except for maybe the type of bullet or gun that was used. They had answered pretty quickly that they have no evidence that these cases are linked, but they may change their mind soon.

I agree that it could be the same person/persons involved in all these shootings. I just don’t think LE has had enough time to sort through all the evidence from every case except for maybe the type of bullet or gun that was used. They had answered pretty quickly that they have no evidence that these cases are linked, but they may change their mind soon.
I hear ya, cc! Just remember this, when LE says they have no evidence, it does not necessarily mean things aren't connected, just means they can't link it. Yet. (Or ever.) Agreed this is the initial stages of the investigation and there are many many tests that need to be completed and interpreted. ballistics, trajectories bla bla. It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds and if and when LE will use the words "we believe this to be the work of a random shooter." IF they do come back as serial shooter, well then I will have many comments on the short range aspect.

PS: I'm especially glad to see Hatfield here, he was a key poster in the NOCO threads and is very knowlegable, moo.

Everything is speculative, brainstorming and JMO moo.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm surprised LE has been as forthcoming as they have been so far, especially this early in the invesitgstion...it's so interesting to see the unfolding of how each jurisdiction/circumstances can be so different re: this (revealing of information). In NOCO we heard SQUAT moo. Glad to see here that LE may be taking the "Foxfire Approach".. (hey I like that, "Foxfire Approach"...) as far as working with the public and keeping them informed.

Maybe some of you guys are like, "what information, forthcoming?", lol, they are keeping things close to the vest which of course they will be and should be, but imo it sounds like they're going to hopefully continue to utilize the public. Each LE agency likely struggles over which approach to take sometimes with specific aspects. Understandable.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to think of this case. Initially I was thinking celebratory gunfire went awry. Harris County has to issues warnings about not firing your guns into the air on Fourth of July and New Years.
Bullet falling from the sky kills Houston man

If it’s a yearly thing, that sort of goes with the celebratory fire, someone gets hammered on their birthday/special occasion and shoots of their gun in the surrounding hills. Not thinking about where it will come down. Being on the wrong end, is like the lightening strike.

The angle does work I don’t think for the deer slug although no knowing if the car was parked on incline, still seems doubtful to me.

That leads me to a disgruntled landowner in the area, fed up with the campers, development, etc...the “get off my lawn” type. Terrorize the tourists and keep them away.

Serial killer is an idea I’m trying to work my mind around, I haven’t fit enough pieces together to figure that out but not sure I would really ever understand a serial killer.

I doubt homeless. If there is a variety of guns used, I don’t see someone homeless carrying around a selection of guns to use. Then again some one with a psychological breakdown living in a car, maybe.

These are just some ideas I’ve thrown around with my husband. Mainly I’m subscribing to the thread.

Hi all! I haven’t been back on here since the Blaze Bernstein case. And I recognize almost all the same names! Hello again!!

I don’t know who said it but I agree with that maybe he heard the first shot and sat up, startled by the noise. Or the other idea that he used the restroom and was back in the tent standing up. It’s also not that unusual to be up that early, especially if he had a job where he was at work early. So he could have been up getting dressed to go outside and start a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky