CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious..........
A gun shot in the distance would not prompt me to call 911.
A gun shot in the distance would not prompt me to check the well being of those in tents near me.
A gun shot in the distance would not have woken my 2 and four year old.
Did first responders go tent to tent?
I presume the BIL was able to summon help for TR specifically. What is it about the shot from a distance that made him check on TR?

*Maybe the noise was enough to roust a kiddo enough to want snuggles? No snuggles could have lead to fussing/crying?

I’m thinking the gun shot noise sounded fairly close, close enough to make a dad (the BIL) out in the woods with young children nervous. He maybe went “next door” to chat with Tristan and ask if he had heard the gun and discuss what they should do. When he went to the other tent, discovered there was a major problem.

Yes, I'm not sure how effective a rod would be on a hole through fabric, like you could poke it through at any angle and it wouldn't tell you the direction the bullet came from. Unless it was a broken tent rod that had burst through the tent?
There's some people on here who seem familiar with this tent, so hopefully they can help out, but I think there are 2 sheets of fabric to go through.

There is an inner-tent and a rain awning.

REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

I still can't see the green stick being particularly accurate, but could give a rough idea of trajectory. Maybe?

Now I've seen Harmony's post it could well be a broken tent pole.

I may have been looking totally at the wrong thing.

There's some people on here who seem familiar with this tent, so hopefully they can help out, but I think there are 2 sheets of fabric to go through.

There is an inner-tent and a rain awning.

REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

I still can't see the green stick being particularly accurate, but could give a rough idea of trajectory. Maybe?

Now I've seen Harmony's post it could well be a broken tent pole.

I may have been looking totally at the wrong thing.
That tent has the structure rods on the outside though.

I’m thinking the gun shot noise sounded fairly close, close enough to make a dad (the BIL) out in the woods with young children nervous. He maybe went “next door” to chat with Tristan and ask if he had heard the gun and discuss what they should do. When he went to the other tent, discovered there was a major problem.

Or heard the girls crying.

Great pictures of the tent. The only bullet hole I see is the one with the stick. The others appear to be a gap in the zipper and tabs in the rainfly. Now can we guess where the shooter fired from? Imo. That's a pretty big hole. Another shotgun slug?

I just thought of this story that happened where I used to live, when I lived there around 2010. Took me a bit to find an official msm article.

Shooter Fires at Vehicles on Highway in Waxahachie

I called police with the speculation that it was the schizophrenic son of my neighbor who had again gone off his meds. We had a dry creek bed behind our houses that afforded him the opportunity to walk unseen to the highway and hide in the culvert and shoot at cars then stash the weapon on the way back and not be seen. The police agreed and said they were thinking the same thing but couldn’t get the evidence together to prove it. No weapon. Initial reports thought the shooter had fled in a white truck, when they ruled that out there weren’t any signs of footprints. I can’t tell from the satellite views if there are large culverts for a shooter to hide in.

This guy used darkness and walked in and out just to randomly shoot at vehicles.

Pretty sure his dad thought the same thing and had him committed for a bit again to get him back on his meds. It all sort of came to a head when the son went off his meds again and ended up pointing a gun at his father who then proceeded to shoot the son in the *advertiser censored* on his way out the door. We had life flight and swat show up which terrorized the horses.

Marking spot to post amazing spreadsheet created in NOCO by WS member Forager re: cars/vehicles shot at nationwide.

BIG KUDOS to Forager for an amazing amount of time and effort he put into this. Upon a quick scan I see some CA incidents...please note this spreadsheet was created a few years back so will not contain recent incidents.

CO shootings

Last edited:
I am curious..........
A gun shot in the distance would not prompt me to call 911.
A gun shot in the distance would not prompt me to check the well being of those in tents near me.
A gun shot in the distance would not have woken my 2 and four year old.
Did first responders go tent to tent?
I presume the BIL was able to summon help for TR specifically. What is it about the shot from a distance that made him check on TR?

*Maybe the noise was enough to roust a kiddo enough to want snuggles? No snuggles could have lead to fussing/crying?
Perhaps TB called 911 after the 1st gunshot penetrated his tent, and TB provided Campsites 49, 51 to dispatcher. There could have been slight delay between the two gunshots. While he got up possibly unzipped the center 2-room divider if it was zipped up, a 2nd gunshot was fired. Perhaps BIL called 911 after the 2nd gunshot.

BIL tent very close. TB warns BIL then 2nd gunshot. Then BIL calls 911. 5 minute drive Lost Hills Sheriff office to campground. We don't know location of head shot. Could be above back of neck. As I posted last night, due to "the conditions of the body" when found by LE made it unclear to LE if victim was shot to head or upper torso.

Modern dome tents, even slightly dated ones like this, don't have internal poles; they basically hang from an outside frame. Then there's a second layer called a "rain fly" that goes over the top of the frame. The inner tent is usually at least partly mesh for ventilation and the rain fly is sold to protect from wind and rain and also give privacy.

So yes, there are two layers, and in the videos, we're looking at the outer layer.

Most tents also have supplemental poles to support things like vestibules, make it easier to unzip the fly and hold it back during the day, and provide internal structures. These usually work by inserting a specially made tip into a grommet in the tent. Some of the bumps and holes look to me like they could be part of a system like that, though it's too blurry for me to make out the details

In the views we see, the tent poles are between the tent covering and the tent itself, so the green stick could be a broken pole. But with the dome design, I'd expect to see some sagging if that happened. The green stick could also be one of the supplemental poles. I'm not familiar with this particular tent to know for sure but our (smaller) tent has a similar short pole over the door to reinforce the doorway when it's open. But that should be inside the cover.

The poles are fiberglass and segmented on a shock cord so they can be broken down for convenient packing. They usually shatter rather than breaking.

All of which is a long winded way of saying I don't think that green stick is part of the tent, and I'm not sure any of those other marks are holes. The one near the stick could be.

Marking spot to post amazing spreadsheet created in NOCO by WS member Forager re: cars/vehicles shot at nationwide.

BIG KUDOS to Forager for an amazing amount of time and effort he put into this. Upon a quick scan I see some CA incidents...please note this spreadsheet was created a few years back so will not contain recent incidents.

CO shootings

Depending upon how the story plays out I may have a few more to add if I can find news sources about it. Crosby TX has had a few.

Modern dome tents, even slightly dated ones like this, don't have internal poles; they basically hang from an outside frame. Then there's a second layer called a "rain fly" that goes over the top of the frame. The inner tent is usually at least partly mesh for ventilation and the rain fly is sold to protect from wind and rain and also give privacy.

So yes, there are two layers, and in the videos, we're looking at the outer layer.

Most tents also have supplemental poles to support things like vestibules, make it easier to unzip the fly and hold it back during the day, and provide internal structures. These usually work by inserting a specially made tip into a grommet in the tent. Some of the bumps and holes look to me like they could be part of a system like that, though it's too blurry for me to make out the details

In the views we see, the tent poles are between the tent covering and the tent itself, so the green stick could be a broken pole. But with the dome design, I'd expect to see some sagging if that happened. The green stick could also be one of the supplemental poles. I'm not familiar with this particular tent to know for sure but our (smaller) tent has a similar short pole over the door to reinforce the doorway when it's open. But that should be inside the cover.

The poles are fiberglass and segmented on a shock cord so they can be broken down for convenient packing. They usually shatter rather than breaking.

All of which is a long winded way of saying I don't think that green stick is part of the tent, and I'm not sure any of those other marks are holes. The one near the stick could be.

These photos represent REI Kingdom 6 Co-op (outdated version that is similar to victim tent, IMO). If center divider is use to separate room, it is like having 2 tents in one. Or, if not, it's a one room large area. Also, there are extensions that can be used or not. We don't know if the extensions used on either side, as the LE or ME videos do not denote time of images. In other words, tent in the media videos may not be exactly how set up by victim nor when Police arrived and found victim.

REI Kingdom 6 Tech Specs:
Best Use
Camping
Seasons
3-season
Sleeping Capacity
6-person
Minimum Trail Weight
17 lbs. 3 oz.
Packaged Weight
19 lbs. 12 oz.
Packed Size
25 x 16.5 x 9.5 inches
Floor Dimensions
10 ft. x 8 ft. 4 in.
Floor Area
83 square feet
Vestibule Area
Peak Height
6 ft. 3 in.
Number of Doors
2 doors
Number of Poles
2 hubbed pole sets + 1 crossover pole
Pole Material
6061 Aluminum / 7001 Aluminum
Pole Diameter
14.5 / 11.0 millimeters
Canopy Fabric
Nylon taffeta/mesh
Floor Fabric
Coated polyester oxford
Rainfly Fabric
Coated polyester taffeta
Design Type
Freestanding

Attachments

• tent extended.jpg
    tent extended.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 13
  • tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 12
  • center divider tent.jpg
    center divider tent.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
  • tent rei website.jpg
    tent rei website.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
Good point that the setup might have changed. The first responders might have had to move things around, or LE may have moved parts during the investigation. Or simply knocked askew and straightened in the hubbub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson