CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my guess:

If one was seen "on the top" it makes sense.

My guess of where I see one hole is in the first green section at the back of it where the rib vein is running there appears to be a hole that is going into the tent.

Its near where the green area meets the grey area at the back part of that first green section and below the reddish looking sticker thing which is right where the green meets the grey along the rib vein.

There appears to be a bullet shaped hole going into the tent which would mean the shot came from that direction. If that is one of the holes.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/tent-holes-jpg.137135/

If the head wound was not obvious at the time of discovery, I think that can rule out a number of weapons. Especially a shotgun.

Well what if dad is sleeping with the girls on his side(s). He awakens and turns on a light or looks at something on a device (let's say it's something that doesn't need cell service, like a research study on PDF). And let's say he's sitting up where he was sleeping, next to the girls.
While he's sitting there he gets shot in the head from the side and slumps over to the opposite side where 1 or both of his girls are sleeping. The girls wake up from a combination of the sound of the shot(s) and daddy slumped over. The girls are crying, screaming for their uncle, but they (mostly the 4 yo) manage to sit daddy up (or maybe uncle sits him up). But then as daddy is bleeding and dying he slumps/falls over onto the side where he was shot. Then maybe he's lying on the head wound, & there's already so much blood on his shirt/torso that it looks like he's shot there but the head wound is missed.

I even wonder (maybe) if the statement given by LASD about it having been difficult to know if it was a torso or head wound due to the "condition" of the body should have said "position" of the body.

I am glad you found it! Still trying to figure out how to link items here! :) Did you notice on the Call to the Wall FB page that 1) the dates had been changed and 2) they were promoting huge crowds with little parking?
Did you note the time of the 2017 Call of the Wild shooting?

No. I found the Malibu Locals page. but not the call to the wall thing. not sure what that is!!!!

I agree in the sense that it does have the feel of a younger person. It's always early morning. I wonder who could be out and about at that time so often with a weapon and nobody paying attention to it in the close circle. Definitely someone knowing the area well and seems to be staying around that same corridor right around the camping area. I do think the intent is to kill though, it's not just foolish behavior leading to injury. It seems like it's more than that and escalating as mentioned.

On another note there is also the summer camps (Camp Gillmore) that are run right next to Tapia Park, just a little south western of David Gonzalez Camp School. Looks like this summer camp has a street leading right into Tapia Park. I would estimate from the map maybe 800 feet to Tapia Park entrance. Walkable.... One of the activities shown on their homepage is Air Rifle. The Salvation Army Camp Mt. Crags and Camp Gilmore | CAMP ACTIVITIES

Air rifles can't kill anyone. That seems like a super normal summer camp. I also don't see how a resident of the David Gonzalez school would be involved. Someone who works there, that would be different.

I agree in the sense that it does have the feel of a younger person. It's always early morning. I wonder who could be out and about at that time so often with a weapon and nobody paying attention to it in the close circle. Definitely someone knowing the area well and seems to be staying around that same corridor right around the camping area. I do think the intent is to kill though, it's not just foolish behavior leading to injury. It seems like it's more than that and escalating as mentioned.

On another note there is also the summer camps (Camp Gillmore) that are run right next to Tapia Park, just a little south western of David Gonzalez Camp School. Looks like this summer camp has a street leading right into Tapia Park. I would estimate from the map maybe 800 feet to Tapia Park entrance. Walkable.... One of the activities shown on their homepage is Air Rifle. The Salvation Army Camp Mt. Crags and Camp Gilmore | CAMP ACTIVITIES
" All summer staff will get paid a weekly salary plus are given room and board. Staff training, which is mandatory for all staff, begins in June and summer camp lasts through the first week in August."
Maybe a camp staff member, but where would they keep the gun(s) and ammunition? I doubt they would have a private room.

" All summer staff will get paid a weekly salary plus are given room and board. Staff training, which is mandatory for all staff, begins in June and summer camp lasts through the first week in August."
Maybe a camp staff member, but where would they keep the gun(s) and ammunition? I doubt they would have a private room.

In their car, van, or truck?

My guess of where I see one hole is in the first green section at the back of it where the rib vein is running there appears to be a hole that is going into the tent.

Its near where the green area meets the grey area at the back part of that first green section and below the reddish looking sticker thing which is right where the green meets the grey along the rib vein.

There appears to be a bullet shaped hole going into the tent which would mean the shot came from that direction. If that is one of the holes.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/tent-holes-jpg.137135/

Yes, I see that too (missed the green stick thing though...)

Eight confirmed shootings. TB is one. Seven other dates listed below.

7 Other Unsolved Shootings Around Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed

Four of the shootings were in the California State Park jurisdiction. Those occurred on:

Nov. 3, 2016
Nov. 9, 2016
Jan. 7, 2017
July 30, 2017

The other three were in the sheriff’s department jurisdiction.

June 6, 2017
July 22, 2017
June 18, 2018

Wow. Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 - The shooting of the wildlife biologist in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the face. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range. STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ?? STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot @ 5:00 a.m. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired form 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was n inch higher. Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where. SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 - No information I could find. Anyone? SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ?? STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed? SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.

I do not understand why the day areas are open to hike but the camp grounds are closed. If all these past events are connected then wouldn't hikers be in danger as well. The sp(s) targeted both cars and humans. Basically everything is a target

They've all seemed to happen at night/before sunrise? The park is open to hiking during daylight hours.

View attachment 137132

This is where I see holes but maybe I am wrong.

...../QUOTE]

The front one might be the REI logo. Tent companies often put their logos on that flap. The current model has the logo higher up on the fly, but the old model (the one used on this weekend) doesn't seem to.

That being said, the logo is very small.

I'm thinking the 2nd bullet hole is through the roof of the tent, but it's impossible to pick out because of the shadow shapes from the tree.

Last edited:
Great observation & call out on comment 893.

Per comment 890: do we yet have any confirmation on what the fire arm was? Was it in fact a shot gun? Also what was the fire-arm used on the 6-18-18 event?

7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed? SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.

I'm struggling to see this on my phone, when I pause the video it goes dark.

I've tried taking a screenshot shot. I can see one hole with a green stick coming out of it (I think), where is the other one?

[The quality of my screenshot isn't great and I may not have caught the right moment.]

An editor has deliberately blurred the logo in that shot, IMO.

I do not understand why the day areas are open to hike but the camp grounds are closed. If all these past events are connected then wouldn't hikers be in danger as well. The sp(s) targeted both cars and humans. Basically everything is a target

An article I read (sorry I do not remember which one) quoted LE saying that it would be too difficult to close the entire park down because of its size.

Great observation & call out on comment 893.

Per comment 890: do we yet have any confirmation on what the fire arm was? Was it in fact a shot gun? Also what was the fire-arm used on the 6-18-18 event?

That's all I know. I don't know how to get more info. Crime report info?

The Local Malibu
(Mobile update 2:56 pm Pacific)

Sheriffs Dept finally confirmed what you tweeted earlier - they are handing out flyers!!

By phone?

Yes-but they are supposed to send out a news release in about 10-15 minutes. Have you seen their new list of 8 shooting incidents in and around the park?

Yes.
They are lumping in all of them.

<modsnip>

The only reason why I personally tend to overlook this part is all the other shootings in the area that happened before him. My personal believe is that he was a random target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member