GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnipped against TOS>

I'm not sure why a burglar who's looking to steal food from an office would need to have a rifle. That strikes me as really conspicuous and drawing attention to yourself when stealth would be more effective.

It isn't unusual to have people living in the wild areas of the parks. I know this from another area park that a friend worked at. The park was aware of these individuals but did not always have evidence/cause to evict them as they kept their campsites well hidden or moving around.

But why would a transient want to shut down what would be his best source for food/water/facilities? You can nick from campsites easier than breaking into a house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I came across this page. I have been following the murder case since it happened and I've been hoping that they find the killer.
My family and I camped for 4 nights in the same campsite. We checked out the morning before it happened.
Welcome! Could you clarify whether by campsite you mean this general campground or TB's exact campsite number?

I watched the local news stories tonight about this burglary. Apparently they have video of the masked man, dressed in full camo, looking like a military type, and carrying a rifle over his shoulder.

He has apparently broken into a few local homes in past months, TAKING ONLY FOOD.

So I think this might be a crazy, rogue, ex soldier, transient, living in the Malibu/Calabasas hills, and randomly shooting people because he is paranoid/crazy/angry?

I watched the local news stories tonight about this burglary. Apparently they have video of the masked man, dressed in full camo, looking like a military type, and carrying a rifle over his shoulder.

He has apparently broken into a few local homes in past months, TAKING ONLY FOOD.

So I think this might be a crazy, rogue, ex soldier, transient, living in the Malibu/Calabasas hills, and randomly shooting people because he is paranoid/crazy/angry?
I, too, was thinking he might be a former soldier or someone who imagines himself a soldier and suffers psychosis. He may believe his targets to be an "enemy" who pose a threat. JMO

I really hope TB's killer, whether this guy or someone else, is brought to justice soon. How heartbreaking this must be for TB's family. His little girls will grow up without their father. And to think those little girls were in the same tent and could have been harmed. They also saw their father after he'd been shot. What a horrific memory they will carry with them throughout life! :(

Detectives investigating possible lead in mysterious killing of father at Malibu Creek State Park (KCAL9)

But detectives do know that Beaudette was shot from long range. Was the murder weapon a rifle? They're not saying.

Veteran reporter Dave Lopez does a good report here and there are visuals of the office building as well.

On balance, this latest burst of activity indicates that LASD has no leads or real evidence at all in terms of the Malibu murder and other shootings. That there are four or five home burglaries in the general area in which food is taken isn't necessarily significant. This is a well-populated area near a freeway which also has a confirmed history of break-ins and even body dumps.

If you go through crime reports for the area, you'll see that home break-ins are not uncommon and also thefts are rampant at the local shopping centers like the Canyons in Calabasas. Seriously, at the Canyons, there are multiple reports each week of purses and wallets being stolen off the backs of chairs while people are dining. Then the perp goes over to a luxury boutique and charges thousands of dollars of merchandise. This happens over and over again - grand theft and credit card fraud but you're not seeing much concern over these very commonplace but serious crimes in this area. For example, you're not seeing public warning because that would be bad for business at the Canyons.

Meanwhile, LASD alerts the press and rolls out the SWAT team on Tuesday because someone stole food from an unoccupied office building on Sunday.

Detectives investigating possible lead in mysterious killing of father at Malibu Creek State Park (KCAL9)

But detectives do know that Beaudette was shot from long range. Was the murder weapon a rifle? They're not saying.

Veteran reporter Dave Lopez does a good report here and there are visuals of the office building as well.

On balance, this latest burst of activity indicates that LASD has no leads or real evidence at all in terms of the Malibu murder and other shootings. That there are four or five home burglaries in the general area in which food is taken isn't necessarily significant. This is a well-populated area near a freeway which also has a confirmed history of break-ins and even body dumps.

If you go through crime reports for the area, you'll see that home break-ins are not uncommon and also thefts are rampant at the local shopping centers like the Canyons in Calabasas. Seriously, at the Canyons, there are multiple reports each week of purses and wallets being stolen off the backs of chairs while people are dining. Then the perp goes over to a luxury boutique and charges thousands of dollars of merchandise. This happens over and over again - grand theft and credit card fraud but you're not seeing much concern over these very commonplace but serious crimes in this area. For example, you're not seeing public warning because that would be bad for business at the Canyons.

Meanwhile, LASD alerts the press and rolls out the SWAT team on Tuesday because someone stole food from an unoccupied office building on Sunday.
I think what made the difference in this home burglary series is that he was seen with a rifle. In that sense these crimes pose more of a public risk than for example a stolen credit card and if indeed TB was shot by a rifle then I don't see anything wrong with this being investigated with more of a concern. I agree with you that it could be urelated but the rifle might have made the difference. In addition it is rather rare that only food is stolen in home burglaries. Without the rifle it might not have gotten the attention that it did. I agree it could be unrelated but it could just as well be a good lead.

I looked on crime mapping and there are a couple of home burglaries in Monte Nido - this is about 2.5-3 miles from the park entrance - both were in the daytime and without forced entry. One was on 25 June; the other was 17 August.

There are an additional three home burglaries up toward the 101 Freeway in the Deer Creek housing development. (This is a densely populated subdivision.) All of these incidents - 6 July, 26 July, and 29 August - were forced entry.

There's also a cluster of vehicle break-ins up on Mulholland but IIRC this is a location where this is known to happen.

I didn't see the break-ins referred to in the news reports on CrimeMapping. That would be the four or five break-ins along Las Virgenes Road across from the park. They're not on the map, unless you're counting the break-ins in Monte Nido which would not fit the location description as it's a couple of miles away and up Cold Canyon Road.

I think there is a valid reason to think it is a transient/survivalist that is breaking into those homes.

Why would someone break into a multi-million dollar home, and just take food? ONLY FOOD.

No interest in electronics or pawnable items?

And in the most recent video of the break in, there was no vehicle present. The man in camo , armed with a rifle, stole food and walked away , into the woods...

Most of the breakins that I was previously aware of were usually local kids, burglarizing homes for electronics or cash. And a few professional burglars moving through the area, from the valley or the city area. And none of them took food, except maybe alcohol.

I looked on crime mapping and there are a couple of home burglaries in Monte Nido - this is about 2.5-3 miles from the park entrance - both were in the daytime and without forced entry. One was on 25 June; the other was 17 August.

There are an additional three home burglaries up toward the 101 Freeway in the Deer Creek housing development. (This is a densely populated subdivision.) All of these incidents - 6 July, 26 July, and 29 August - were forced entry.

There's also a cluster of vehicle break-ins up on Mulholland but IIRC this is a location where this is known to happen.

I didn't see the break-ins referred to in the news reports on CrimeMapping. That would be the four or five break-ins along Las Virgenes Road across from the park. They're not on the map, unless you're counting the break-ins in Monte Nido which would not fit the location description as it's a couple of miles away and up Cold Canyon Road.
The incident on Sunday would not show up yet. It takes quiet a little while for the map to populate. You will see that TB's homicide is not even listed, probably because it happened in park jurisdiction. So it is completely possible that park jurisdiction burglaries wouldn't show up. However...I'm hoping the sunday event will show up later this week.

The incident on Sunday would not show up yet. It takes quiet a little while for the map to populate. You will see that TB's homicide is not even listed, probably because it happened in park jurisdiction. So it is completely possible that park jurisdiction burglaries wouldn't show up. However...I'm hoping the sunday event will show up later this week.

Yes, we've mentioned on here before about the TB omission due to park jurisdiction. However, it has been included in the statistics on the LASD Lost Hills report on the LASD website.

The Acorn's most recent sheriff's blotter doesn't cite the break-ins. I'm not saying these burglaries didn't happen, <modsnipped> For example, there is no corroboration of the Local's report on a shooting in Carbon Canyon and so it seems that this is unverified and probably untrue. (This was the person who claimed that he called 911 but they didn't return his call. Right.)

Also, regarding the recent rifle-equipped burglary, the Acorn reports on it here:

Sheriff seeks burglary suspect with possible connection to canyon shootings

Deputies from the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station were called to an office in the 26800 block of Mulholland Highway to investigate a burglary that occurred around 3:00 a.m. on Oct. 2.

That stretch of Mulholland is up across from King Gillette Ranch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Could you clarify whether by campsite you mean this general campground or TB's exact campsite number?
The same campsite number. On the news I saw that they police had our campsite and the one next to it taped off. One tent must have been the victims and the other's his brother-in-laws. We stayed at the campsite on the left.

Helicopter search is ongoing today according to The Locals Facebook. Copter over Piuma and the water treatment plant.

The same campsite number. On the news I saw that they police had our campsite and the one next to it taped off. One tent must have been the victims and the other's his brother-in-laws. We stayed at the campsite on the left.

That is terrifying. Can you share any insight about the father camping with his son that left earlier that day? Was that your family or was it the one in the tent next to you?

I think what made the difference in this home burglary series is that he was seen with a rifle. In that sense these crimes pose more of a public risk than for example a stolen credit card and if indeed TB was shot by a rifle then I don't see anything wrong with this being investigated with more of a concern. I agree with you that it could be urelated but the rifle might have made the difference. In addition it is rather rare that only food is stolen in home burglaries. Without the rifle it might not have gotten the attention that it did. I agree it could be unrelated but it could just as well be a good lead.

I agree. Stealing only food means the thief is focussed on trying to survive without any money in that area. He's very unlikely to have a home, and has chosen not to live on the urban streets, where life is easier for the homeless.

There have been such hermits who are non-violent, like the Maine Hermit. But there have also been violent ones, and someone breaking into homes carrying a rifle is a terrifying scenario for homeowners, as well as campers.

Helicopter search is ongoing today according to The Locals Facebook. Copter over Piuma and the water treatment plant.

That is terrifying. Can you share any insight about the father camping with his son that left earlier that day? Was that your family or was it the one in the tent next to you?

I haven't seen anything about "the father camping with his son that left earlier that day." Was there an earlier post? I haven't read all of the posts.

There was a mom and dad with a few small kids in the other campsite next to ours. In the morning heard them talking to their children saying that they were still staying another night. However, they must have changed their minds and checked out later that day.

The campground is sort of set up like a figure 8. There are campsite on the outer side of the road and on the inner. Our campsite was on the inner portion. The trash dumpsters and restroom are to the left of the campsite. In my opinion, one of the campsites on the outer side of the road would have been an easier target.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back