CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This fella gives some idea of how the building didn't get shut down. Also, I know through some personal experience how very difficult that it is to get someone out of a place where they are "renting", even if they've never paid their rent. The rental property was in such disrepair after the years, yes years, that they were there, that we had the place leveled. We've had people ask to rent an old farmhouse w/o electricity or water b/c affordable renting, even in our rural area, is hard for people to find (obviously we turn them down as it is very obvious it is not a livable home, yet they still ask...)
http://www.ktvu.com/news/221304800-story

I went to a lot of events like these in Portland, Oregon when I was young. The fire marshal used to come in and shut us down all the time. We were always angry with them, and granted probably some of the time they went a little overboard, but seeing this I'm so happy they did. You can never be too careful when it comes to fire safety.
I was involved in the LA punk scene in the early eighties, and it was the same. We couldn't get through a show without the fire marshals coming in and shutting them down. We had lots of shows in makeshift places because we couldn't find mainstream clubs and venues that wanted to host punk shows. When you are young, you feel so invincible, it doesn't even occur to you that anything like this could happen. I feel for all of the people lost, and all of their friends and loved ones, and the entire community. I know there are still many places set up like this, and i hope this enormous tragedy will open eyes and keep others from dying in such a horrific way.

Yeah, I'm really surprised it wasn't on their radar. I gather the structure is really old, like built in the 1930's or 40's?

I haven't read all MSM, but, thought I heard that property failed several inspections and WAS on FD radar about a month ago.

How can they let this go? This is devastating.

I don't understand having a Rave with 100 people while there is priceless art all over the place that belongs to the artists that work and live there.

So was the art studio just more of a ruse to allow the artists to actually live there instead of living on the streets or something?

Yeah, I'm really surprised it wasn't on their radar. I gather the structure is really old, like built in the 1930's or 40's?

I don't know about fire marshalls, but the building was definitely on the radar before this.

http://abc7.com/news/complaint-filed-against-oakland-warehouse-before-deadly-fire/1639206/

...there was a blight complaint filed against the Oakland warehouse that erupted in flames....

On Nov. 14, a blight complaint was filed saying the property was piling up with tons of garbage, where items were left on the sidewalk near the property -- with some trash deemed hazardous. The owner of the property said it's a storage space. However, it was submitted as a trash recycle site.

A Housing Habitability complaint is issued on the site with the pending investigation. The complaint states the site has "illegal interior building structures." Complaints date back over a year regarding the cramped conditions, electrical wiring issues, people living there and more.

Investigators were working to determine if code enforcement was aware the building was being used as entertainment

It appears the owner of the property was cited several times for blight and there was an ongoing investigation about inappropriate building inside the property.

citations on the property were regarding people living there, wiring issues and more...

press conference. Live now. 33 deaths so far.

33 bodies found; 35-40% thru building

Mayor Libby Schaaf now
Will be releasing the names of deceased promptly with exception of juveniles
Priorities are the humane and compassionate removal of victims in this tragedy; 24/7 recovery operation
Focusing on supporting families and loved ones
Commending coroners office
Doing everything they can to preserve evidence to fully and professional investigate incident as to how it happened
DA did activate criminal investigation today

Press Conference;

33 remains located
7 victims identified & families notified

Names of those confirmed will be released promptly, with the exception of juveniles

7 families notified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member