CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but I’m referring to the picture that was posted above that looks like a body. I wanted to see the drone footage of the video to see if it gives a better angle of that spot.
I'm late to this thread but IIRC, the photos taken were by a drone.

If you look at the photo, posted above, and zoom in, unfortunately, it does look like a body. :(

I've found what looks like a body. I've submitted this to the tips site as well, but thought I'd post here too. It's in image 14.

Oh, no. /:
It does indeed look like a body, and a male body, at that IMO
I’m glad you submitted that, and you have a really good eye btw! I would be very surprised if that isn’t at least a body, much less Matthew’s.

ETA: The clothing description even sort of “fits,” even for a grainy picture ... ):

email the malibu local - that will get the sheriffs dept out there asap
I agree on notifying the Malibu local, I think they have the connections to get someone out there ASAP and investigate. Really hoping that the last few days of heavy rain and mudslides didn't change the location of the findings.

I agree on notifying the Malibu local, I think they have the connections to get someone out there ASAP and investigate. Really hoping that the last few days of heavy rain and mudslides didn't change the location of the findings.

Thanks for the suggestion both. I sent an e-mail.

Edit: The correct website is this one right? ( thelocalmalibu.com ) I'm from Canada, so not familiar with the area at all.

Thanks for the suggestion both. I sent an e-mail.

Edit: The correct website is this one right? ( thelocalmalibu.com ) I'm from Canada, so not familiar with the area at all.
Yep that's the right one. They have a Facebook page and an Instagram page that you can directly message them for an instant reply if you don't hear back from them. There was a small earthquake and heavy rain in this area for the last week so there's been a lot of loose boulders and mudslides causing the trails to be closed this week. Hopefully they can locate the location again by drone if they can't physically access the area

Does it look like skeletal remains or a body?
I really can't tell. My eyes see dark clothing and light shoes. I see a light area where the head would be (ie: a 'skull') and his arm splayed out to the right (if he is on his back) or his left arm splayed to the left if he is on his stomach. Is this what you see too?

Last edited:
Taking photo 14, for instance, I think trying to interpret individual groups of pixels may be prone to error, particularly away from the center of the image where lens quality isn't best. Are raw (uncompressed) versions of the photos available? If so, we could avoid confusion from JPEG artifacts, and we'd have more confidence that what we see represents something real.

That's not to say the images are poor quality. However, when you zoom in to inspect individual pixels in any photo, even higher-quality JPEG compression comes up short. For example, throughout the image, you can see edges introduced at the boundaries of the 8x8 pixel blocks from this compression. Within each block, fine details get blurred away, distorting the hue/saturation which we rely on to distinguish objects, especially in regions of low contrast such as the shady area in question here.

To me, the dark greenish areas resemble shrubs/foliage similar to what you see in other parts of the photo. It's less clear what the brighter white specks (shoes?) may be, but because similar white specks are scattered throughout the photo, it seems more likely that they are something more prevalent in that environment, like leaves, litter, or freshly weathered rocks.

I am not ruling out that the image is a body, but just sharing my interpretation from a photography standpoint. I do think it would be helpful to see the raw version of this particular photo, although maybe that would be difficult to upload online since it would be such an enormous file?

I really can't tell. My eyes see dark clothing and light shoes. I see a light area where the head would be (ie: a 'skull') and his arm splayed out to the right (if he is on his back) or his left arm splayed to the left if he is on his stomach. Is this what you see too?
I can’t make out anything but I’ll look on a bigger screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper