CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How well would a Lexus handle sand dunes? He drove the jeep in Glamis, but would a Lexus handle that terrain? Not familiar with Glamis. I have no idea where they'd be "spots" in Glamis other than sand. People rent ATVs there, but how would he find a good spot. Anyone familiar with Glamis?
Glamis seems like a bad choice to find a spot. MOO
I was surprised to learn that there are 4WD Lexus sedans
Lexus AWD Models | All-Wheel Drive Lexus Vehicles | Metro Lexus
That being said, IWT they would not have enough clearance like a Jeep and other ruggedized vehicles, and would likely get stuck quickly. So no, I don't think the Lexus could handle that terrain.
Thanks, even if it was all wheel drive? Not handle that terrain?
Aren't there a lot of caves in that area?
I know there is a lot of water of course, but that would require acquiring weights and so forth.
I don't see any water or caves at Glamis. Gosh, all I see is sand dunes. I know there's a lake, but does it have water in it? Caves? All I heard about was sand dunes. Anybody even go to Glamis?

Help, can't find water. Imperial Sand Dunes North, Glamis - California Trail Map

So no, I don't think the Lexus could handle that terrain.
I just watched the video here of their trip to Glamis.
Maya Millete search to continue | cbs8.com
That's Maya on the dirt bike. I think that's her little boy rolling down the sand dune. There's lots of ATVs, jeeps, trucks, campers, but I think a Lexus on a mission would stand out for sure. Like you said, probably get stuck in the sand. Yikes, that's all I see is sand and dryness. They're going to search the "Sand Highway". MOO, I just can't imagine they'll find her there.

I just watched the video here of their trip to Glamis.
That's Maya on the dirt bike. I think that's her little boy rolling down the sand dune. There's lots of ATVs, jeeps, trucks, campers, but I think a Lexus on a mission would stand out for sure. Like you said, probably get stuck in the sand. Yikes, that's all I see is sand and dryness. They're going to search the "Sand Highway". MOO, I just can't imagine they'll find her there.
Right, a sedan isn’t high enough off the ground, not enough clearance in under carriage.

When I mentioned caves, I didn’t mean Glamis, but any of the surrounding area near Chula.

Amateur opinion and speculation

If you have been a person who follows true crime stories...
You are probably dismayed about the likelihood of beautiful Maya ever being found alive.
The statistics always point to the last person who saw the victim alive as the killer.
The husband's story of taking his 4 year old for an 11 hour trip to the beach
in my opinionis is laughable.
I am very sure that this story along with others have Law Enforcement focused on Maya’s husband.
If the investigation leads to the arrest of Maya’s husband.
As awful as that will be... I know that these children will be loved and protected by Maya’s family.

Missing Woman’s Sister Pleads for Coachella Valley’s Help in Finding Missing Mom

The family has organized several searches and to no avail but her sister is hopeful someone picked her up and took her to a place she loved to hike and off road: the Coachella Valley, or Ocotillo Wells.

She hopes someone in the hiking or off road communities have seen her and can help bring her home.

“Please I‘m pleading, we need our sister back, she’s a mom, her kids need her, it’s been almost five weeks now, we’ve been in pain for so long now, please help us,” says Maricris.
BBM. I used to ride quads and camp in Ocotillo Wells. That area is vast. It isn't sandy like Glamis is, with those huge dunes. Ocotillo is hard-packed dirt, with occasional Ocotillo plants (shrubs?) and cholla cactus dotting the landscape. Think of a dirt road, without much gravel but lots of dust. We usually camped somewhere along the (telephone) pole line road, under the few actual trees out there. It was closer to home and less crowded than Glamis, and since there were always little kids (nieces and nephews) and sometimes grandparents in motorhomes with us, it suited us better than deep sand.
1-View-of-Ocotillo-Wells-State-Vehicular-Recreation-Area.jpg

This desert is as desolate and unforgiving as it looks. Everything is dry and thirsty. There are huge spiders and some snakes here, some birds, and some jackrabbits, and when the wildflowers and cactus bloom, it might well be the most beautiful place on earth. But no one would be smart to go there to hike alone, or unprepared. Ever.

MOO

Maya loved her Jeep, and she recently bought a dirt bike. Saw her wearing all that gear to ride her dirt bike. Wow.

Come on, there's no way I can believe she left after an argument with husband and went up to Ocotillo Wells or Glamis without the things she'd enjoy there -- the jeep and dirt bike. Why would she call someone to take her there or hitch a ride there? She could've drove her jeep there. It makes no sense. If they're searching there, it's because they must think... I'll let you fill in the blank.
But no one would be smart to go there to hike alone, or unprepared. Ever.
You must have been reading my mind. I was looking at a map. I remembered some Wind Caves in Borrego, and I've been to Salton Sea, surely crossed the desert before, but it's been years since I camped or got around much.
upload_2021-2-11_22-44-31.png
You know much more, dear @coastal about the areas. Do you think it's possible the trip someone took, the 10 hr. trip, was to go out there someplace to find a spot?

Maya loved her Jeep, and she recently bought a dirt bike. Saw her wearing all that gear to ride her dirt bike. Wow.

Come on, there's no way I can believe she left after an argument with husband and went up to Ocotillo Wells or Glamis without the things she'd enjoy there -- the jeep and dirt bike. Why would she call someone to take her there or hitch a ride there? She could've drove her jeep there. It makes no sense. If they're searching there, it's because they must think... I'll let you fill in the blank.
You must have been reading my mind. I was looking at a map. I remembered some Wind Caves in Borrego, and I've been to Salton Sea, surely crossed the desert before, but it's been years since I camped or got around much.
View attachment 283868
You know much more, dear @coastal about the areas. Do you think it's possible the trip someone took, the 10 hr. trip, was to go out there someplace to find a spot?

BBM, I believe it's possible he found a spot back over the New Year's weekend when they were there with family. (That was just 1 week before she went missing). He was acting "strangely" and arguing with Maya about taking her Jeep all weekend. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the dunes, themselves, but some place close by. I'd love to hear more from May's sister about what he was doing when he left in Maya's Jeep, assuming she gave in and let him take it a few times. Where did he say he was going? Did he disappear from the camp? Did he come home filthy? Imo. On the other hand, if it's strictly desolate desert in that area, like you guys are describing, I don't know.

However, the fact that they are searching there this weekend tells me they must believe this is a possibility, too.

Last edited:

View attachment 283868
I think that's possible, for sure. But it wouldn't be easy. First, its a long drive from CV and there is traffic, even here. Second, the ground is hard, mostly caliche (I think):

Caliche – natural concrete, can you dig it?
dig-it/

The term “caliche” is a colloquial word that means different things in different places. In the Sonoran Desert, it means a mixture of gravel, sand, clay and other desert debris cemented by porous calcium carbonate and is more properly called a calcic horizon. These calcic horizons generally occur two to four feet below the surface and can be inches to many feet thick. Caliche forms only in arid and semi-arid areas. In Tucson, with an average annual rainfall of 10 to 12 inches, caliche forms more than ten inches below the surface. In contrast, in Yuma, which receives about four inches of rain annually, caliche may form at the surface or just a few inches below the surface...

<<<
snip

So, very hard to dig out there. Possible? Sure. But probably not the easiest location for a bad guy to hide evidence of...bad acts. MOO

BBM, I believe it's possible he found a spot back in December when they were there with family. (That was just 2 weeks before she went missing).

Have you watched this video of their trip? Not December, it was over the New Year's weekend. I believe the sister said she last spoke to Maya on Jan. 3rd, probably because they were camping together. Maya went missing Jan. 7th!!! She had an appt. with a Divorce Attorney for
Jan. 12th, but she was already missing by then. :(

I know how he acted strangely. We've discussed this several times, and it's likely he was looking for a place with the jeep. I'm just not sure that area would be a good spot for the purpose he'd have in mind. The video above will give you an idea of the conditions. However, what you've said makes sense, and her family may be thinking along those lines to go through all the trouble to search up there.

Have you watched this video of their trip? Not December, it was over the New Year's weekend. I believe the sister said she last spoke to Maya on Jan. 3rd, probably because they were camping together. Maya went missing Jan. 7th!!! She had an appt. with a Divorce Attorney for

I know how he acted strangely. We've discussed this several times, and it's likely he was looking for a place with the jeep. I'm just not sure that area would be a good spot for the purpose he'd have in mind. The video above will give you an idea of the conditions. However, what you've said makes sense, and her family may be thinking along those lines to go through all the trouble to search up there.

I've corrected the post. I assumed it was December since it was ""New Year's weekend", but now I've looked at the calendar, and that was actually early January.

It'd be interesting to know if LM had any desert training, and what exactly, in the military. Perhaps he has more knowledge about the desert than the ordinary citizen? Imo.

Since Maya was such an outdoors enthusiast, who had previously trained for hiking, did she have a smart watch?

Last edited:

She had an appt with a divorce attorney on the 12th and went missing on the 7th, and the last person to see her was her husband. That seals it for me, just need some forensics to provide the link.

Well done video out of Palm Springs. Her father doesn't know what to think he says. It seems the sister still thinks Maya could have gotten a ride to out towards the desert towns, but early on she insisted Maya would not leave her children... so??? It's not making sense to me. Unless Maya left with a bunch of hidden cash, she hasn't used her missing credit card or answered her phone.
Missing Woman’s Sister Pleads for Coachella Valley’s Help in Finding Missing Mom – NBC Palm Springs – News, Weather, Traffic, Breaking News

It hurts a missing person case to get false tips of someone thinking they saw the person. Elizabeth Sullivan case-- someone said they saw her, and she was really in a freezer for two years. :(

Well done video out of Palm Springs. Her father doesn't know what to think he says.
It seems the sister still thinks Maya could have gotten a ride to out towards the desert towns, but early on she insisted Maya would not leave her children... so??? It's confusing to me.
Missing Woman’s Sister Pleads for Coachella Valley’s Help in Finding Missing Mom – NBC Palm Springs – News, Weather, Traffic, Breaking News

I wonder if her family are just remaining publicly "open" to ideas, as to not tip LM off that they are looking at him, but with the main priority being the children. :(

Worried most about Maya's children. They probably can't voice everything they're thinking or feeling. Can you imagine the thoughts they must be having? Did Mom take off and leave us? On my 11th birthday? Did she get attacked on a hike? Why won't Dad help search? Is she going to come home? Dad says...

LM made that statement after the Presser. He said he's protecting his family. I hope he's willing to get those children in therapy. Yes, kids can get PTSD too.

Find May/Maya Millete | Facebook

These searches are costing money and so many people are leaving comments about what they think happened and who they think...

I honestly don't know. At one point the brother in law said they didn't have any info. LE might not share any of the investigation or search warrant findings with the family. It might jeopardize the investigation. So, I guess I doubt the family knows where the Lexus traveled to that Friday or what is in the air filter.

Slightly off topic. I’ve been popping in and out. I don’t have anything to add anymore, really. Pardon me if it’s been said already, but for those of you wondering why the couple would argue about driving the Jeep, there’s a famous saying: “It’s a Jeep thing. You wouldn’t understand.” It’s like being in a secret club. There’s a “Jeep wave,” but weirdly, only certain models of Jeeps are in the club. I drove a Cherokee for years, but when we got the Jeep truck, we noticed the wave. It’s like when two motorcyclists meet, they wave. Driving the Jeep is empowering. It makes you feel sexy and strong and able to conquer a mountain and tow somebody out of a ravine. My hubby and I never argue about it, but some days there’s an unspoken race to leave in the morning to see who gets out the door first to drive it for the day. Although it’s like driving a brick down the highway. But you get waved at all day.

Maya's family has been very gracious toward LM despite his confusing behavior. They have over 20 years of history with him, and know whether his oddball/awkward remarks are consistent with who he is, or very different.

The one thing that does stand out for me...really stands out....it the description of LM acting "different" at a family gathering and spending a considerable amount of time driving Maya's jeep. Either he was obsessed with the jeep, or doing it to annoy her....or both.

Something really weird about that Jeep fascination that needs an explanation, IMO.

Amateur opinion and speculation

He wanted to perhaps remind her he had half $ownership
(even if she bought it) thus take away her joy...or the Jeep.
Sick.

MOO

Slightly off topic. I’ve been popping in and out. I don’t have anything to add anymore, really. Pardon me if it’s been said already, but for those of you wondering why the couple would argue about driving the Jeep, there’s a famous saying: “It’s a Jeep thing. You wouldn’t understand.” It’s like being in a secret club. There’s a “Jeep wave,” but weirdly, only certain models of Jeeps are in the club. I drove a Cherokee for years, but when we got the Jeep truck, we noticed the wave. It’s like when two motorcyclists meet, they wave. Driving the Jeep is empowering. It makes you feel sexy and strong and able to conquer a mountain and tow somebody out of a ravine. My hubby and I never argue about it, but some days there’s an unspoken race to leave in the morning to see who gets out the door first to drive it for the day. Although it’s like driving a brick down the highway. But you get waved at all day.

So true about the ~wave~ !
Eta: Hope today is the day. Find Maya!

I think that's possible, for sure. But it wouldn't be easy. First, its a long drive from CV and there is traffic, even here. Second, the ground is hard, mostly caliche (I think):

Caliche – natural concrete, can you dig it?
dig-it/

The term “caliche” is a colloquial word that means different things in different places. In the Sonoran Desert, it means a mixture of gravel, sand, clay and other desert debris cemented by porous calcium carbonate and is more properly called a calcic horizon. These calcic horizons generally occur two to four feet below the surface and can be inches to many feet thick. Caliche forms only in arid and semi-arid areas. In Tucson, with an average annual rainfall of 10 to 12 inches, caliche forms more than ten inches below the surface. In contrast, in Yuma, which receives about four inches of rain annually, caliche may form at the surface or just a few inches below the surface...

<<<
snip

So, very hard to dig out there. Possible? Sure. But probably not the easiest location for a bad guy to hide evidence of...bad acts. MOO

I can’t believe it’s been 5 weeks. Also that I’m saying this...
Normally the perp places the victim close to home but that Friday
trip without a phone makes it different. Reminds of of poor Gannon Stauch.
That said, I’m watching the Mindhunter series (true story)
and I’m convinced they WILL find her.
As smart as a perp thinks he is ...he never considers the tireless passion,
empathy & collective brain storming that is coming after him.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member