CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #4 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the video:

Larry Millete's attorney Bonita Martinez said, in a phone interview with News 8, that her client is "a decent loving man" and "he's not a suspect, not even a person of interest". She also said Maya Millete "may be alive" and "she is probably in Hawaii".

What on earth makes an attorney say something like that?
Very unprofessional. Because that indicates LM possibly has information on her whereabouts. (Not that I believe he does).

So is this a possible glimpse into the defence strategy? Like he said from the beginning, she did this to him and the kids.

I just cannot get over it, what part of your brain makes you say that. "she may be alive, and probably in Hawai'i", that is just a foolish and insensitive thing to say.

The attorney could just have said, "we hope the investigation may indicate she's alive somewhere". Something an intelligent, professional and caring person would say. Well, what goes around comes around.

Very unprofessional. Because that indicates LM possibly has information on her whereabouts. (Not that I believe he does).

So is this a possible glimpse into the defence strategy? Like he said from the beginning, she did this to him and the kids.

I just cannot get over it, what part of your brain makes you say that. "she may be alive, and probably in Hawai'i", that is just a foolish and insensitive thing to say.

The attorney could just have said, "we hope the investigation may indicate she's alive somewhere". Something an intelligent, professional and caring person would say. Well, what goes around comes around.

Yeah, looks like Larry surrounds himself with all the "yes" people. It's like his dad saying, in front of the kids, "We are just waiting for the body to show up." (Paraphrased). It's so sick and twisted, the whole saga.

-42 search warrants
-61 interviews
-85 tips
-Possible sightings in CA, NM, AZ.
-----------------------------------------
Where's Maya?!?!?

ETA: The third weekend now that they are searching the golf course near the home. They must have substantial info/evidence to be searching there again. Hoping for the best! (And an arrest!)

From the video:

Larry Millete's attorney Bonita Martinez said, in a phone interview with News 8, that her client is "a decent loving man" and "he's not a suspect, not even a person of interest". She also said Maya Millete "may be alive" and "she is probably in Hawaii".

Ummm, she would have had to have purchased a ticket in her name and shown her ID through the TSA process. So this would have been provable the day she left.

How do these defense attorneys sleep at night?

The family previously resided in Hawaii before relocating to CA. I believe they still have close ties to HI. We know MM's sister/bil also traveled to HI since MM reported missing.

While I don't believe MM left the state, it's a plausible defense for LM (they don't have to prove anything). It's not the first time he's alleged MM is alive and that only her family believes she's deceased (i.e., searching for a body). In other words -- just fuel for LM supporters. MOO

The family previously resided in Hawaii before relocating to CA. I believe they still have close ties to HI. We know MM's sister/bil also traveled to HI since MM reported missing. While I don't believe MM left the state, it's a plausible defense for LM (they don't have to prove anything). It's not the first time he's alleged MM is alive and that only her family believes she's deceased (i.e., searching for a body). MOO

Thank you I did not know her sister already went to Hawai'i, which makes this statement even worse. Its a plausible defense in a Hollywood movie. Not after his wife is missing for almost 6 months.

If she is possibly in Hawai'i you relay that info to LE, but not publicly.

Thank you I did not know her sister already went to Hawai'i, which makes this statement even worse. Its a plausible defense in a Hollywood movie. Not after his wife is missing for almost 6 months.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was a pre-planned vacation to Hawaii that the family went on, one that Maya and her family were supposed to be on as well. :( but it definitely sounds like they are trying to take advantage of that to skew perception.... sigh. Is someone in jail yet? Where is Maya? :(

We already know that LM stopped cooperating with LE within weeks of MM's disappearance.

To my knowledge -- this is his first statement in 6 months via a defense attorney representing LM. Why would this be shocking -- it's their job! Rarely does a defense attorney make a public statement without strategy....

IMO, Ms. Martinez gave this statement to TV media knowing it would immediately be broadcast, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is what LM has been telling his children. He may even use this as his reason to contest the Grandparent's visitation petition -- telling the court that his wife's family believes the children's mom is dead -- and by his hand. MOO

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bonita-martinez-380892ba

We already know that LM stopped cooperating with LE within weeks of MM's disappearance.

To my knowledge -- this is his first statement in 6 months via a defense attorney representing LM. Why would this be shocking -- it's their job! Rarely does a defense attorney make a public statement without strategy....

IMO, Ms. Martinez gave this statement to TV media knowing it would immediately be broadcast, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is what LM has been telling his children. He may even use this as his reason to contest the Grandparent's visitation petition -- telling the court that his wife's family believes the children's mom is dead -- and by his hand. MOO

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bonita-martinez-380892ba
BBM. Spot on. The defense attorney is skilled, putting FUD out there. That's her job, and she appears to be quite vigorous in her approach.

I don't know if Maricris or Richard read this thread. If they do, I would suggest (humbly, as an amateur), that they do *not* speak to the press or conduct any more webcasts, as interesting as they are. Every syllable they utter can be twisted and turned in court. Silence is golden at this point.

Prayers for swift resolution.

Allegedly, and amateur opinion and speculation only

As long as there are missing persons, there will always be the unanswered question of why some cases get more media attention than others. However, commanding media interest to keep sharp focus and attention on your missing loved one is paramount to locating them, and MM's sister and bil deserve every credit for their never-ending, heartfelt, efforts.

Now that LM's attorney identified and a public statement about how "Maya may be alive," attributed to her, it will be interesting to see if she begins using sister/bil statements critical of LE to benefit her client.

IMO, all those negative sound bites clearly opened the door to invite TOD defense ("the other dude"). I believe Ms. Martinez also stated LM had nothing to do with any "gunshots." Fortunately -- I don't believe LE has not once been deterred in their efforts to continue amassing credible evidence that will lead to probable cause arrest.

I don't think the family should cease using media to keep Maya's story alive -- but agree they should be aware of what can backfire and/or benefit LM.

MOO

From the video:

umm lets see. that can be definitely checked out. tickets purchased. cameras airport. tsa.

She’s probably never had a case like this before and doesn’t know how to handle media, that’s my bet. <modsnip>

Still a silly response given the situation. She really should’ve considered her words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm, she would have had to have purchased a ticket in her name and shown her ID through the TSA process. So this would have been provable the day she left.

How do these defense attorneys sleep at night?
And in order to do all of this she would first have to leave the house and she was never seen by anyone or any video leaving the home!!

And in order to do all of this she would first have to leave the house and she was never seen by anyone or any video leaving the home!!
I live in Hawaii and we still have strict quarantine/pre-arrival COVID testing rules. In order to enter the state, May would have had to take a COVID test within 72 hours of her departure at an APPROVED testing facility. There would be records of this COVID test plus her inputting the information into our Safe Travels system. If you arrive in Hawaii without the appropriate COVID test results you are either sent back home or you have to quarantine at an approved and documented location where they track and check up on you for 10 days. Sorry Larry boy but she's not in Hawaii, nice try.

If anybody followed Mollie Tibbetts trial -- her convicted killer took the stand last week and testified a whopper of a tale that included two guys dressed more like Ninja characters, commanded him at gunpoint, ...blah, blah (i.e., the other dude defense).

LM's lawyer citing MM may be alive and that she could be in HI, shouldn't come as a surprise -- just as LM probably telling the children that mommy ran away to Hawaii. Clearly, LM has been projecting and deflecting, long before MM ever reported missing!

MOO

She’s probably never had a case like this before and doesn’t know how to handle media, that’s my bet. <modsnip>

Still a silly response given the situation. She really should’ve considered her words.
lol i agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody followed Mollie Tibbetts trial -- her convicted killer took the stand last week and testified a whopper of a tale that included two guys dressed more like Ninja characters, commanded him at gunpoint, ...blah, blah (i.e., the other dude defense).

LM's lawyer citing MM may be alive and that she could be in HI, shouldn't come as a surprise -- just as LM probably telling the children that mommy ran away to Hawaii. Clearly, LM has been projecting and deflecting, long before MM ever reported missing!

MOO
Right. The only way Maya is in Hawaii, is if her remains drifted there. Sorry to be so graphic, but really...they are so offensive.
Maya will be present in spirit in court to see justice served.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I live in Hawaii and we still have strict quarantine/pre-arrival COVID testing rules. In order to enter the state, May would have had to take a COVID test within 72 hours of her departure at an APPROVED testing facility. There would be records of this COVID test plus her inputting the information into our Safe Travels system. If you arrive in Hawaii without the appropriate COVID test results you are either sent back home or you have to quarantine at an approved and documented location where they track and check up on you for 10 days. Sorry Larry boy but she's not in Hawaii, nice try.
Bam!

I don't know if there's a connection to Maya's case. Sharing this because it reveals LE as real people and to honor their dedication and service. This is tragic and so sad. This happened yesterday on Interstate 5 in San Ysidro, which is south of Chula Vista, closer to the border. They were just a young couple married in 2016. We rarely think of LE as being a young married couple.

Married San Diego Police detectives among 3 killed in fiery wrong-way crash in San Ysidro (10news.com)

SDPD Chief IDs 2 Detectives, A Married Couple, Killed in Wrong-Way Collision in San Ysidro (msn.com) See Photo
"Huntley-Park was a detective with the department's Southern Division and Park was a homicide detective. The couple met in the police academy in 2012 and married in February of 2016, Chief Nisleit said. In July of 2018, Nisleit promoted the husband and wife to detective."

Cousin Mourns SDPD Detectives Killed in Wrong-Way Collision – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member