CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother in law says something like -- "I know it's hard to believe. We got to believe him, he's family".

Me-- Well, he's not my family and I'm starting to doubt he's being truthful.

Like I said earlier, that is a very Filipino mindset. We are raised to think and act with family first, no matter what. I don't necessarily believe that, but my immediate family and I are very close (parents and siblings). I trust them implicitly. However, that would not extend to my sibling's spouses if one of them went missing after an argument and it was this suspicious.

They have been married 21 years. What now would have prompted this action? I can't help but wonder if there was an outside influence encouraging this type of action. For those of you who have pointed to the tight knit nature of Filipino families, I agree. In addition, a high percentage of Filipinos are Catholic, which does not approve of divorce, only if certain extreme conditions exist.

I feel so very badly for the husband, the extended family, and most especially the kids. This is horrible, and not looking good at all. : (

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, the catholic faith and the Filipino culture make it difficult for some of us to even think of divorce. It's not a very safe & healthy way to think though, which is why a lot of my generation (and Maya's, I suppose) are more open to it now, we're still Filipino but were raised in a completely different community. We were exposed to so much more than if we were raised in the Philippines which has helped break some of us out of that kind of thinking.

Sorry for the duplicates!

Last edited:
Sorry for the duplicates!

Last edited:
I do think it was the husband but I base that largely on the fact that both her cars are there, no contact from her, she hasn’t been to work, she told her sister she was looking into a divorce...the only thing I really took from LM is that they had an argument and that he didn’t want space from Maya but Maya wanted space from him and due to this they were living like roommates. Also very odd he didn’t attend the vigil

Regarding above section BBM:
I have not seen this stated anywhere. I have seen it reported that she told her sister that they were having trouble, but do not recall anything about divorce being mentioned. Please share where you found this as it would definitely be an important bit of information!

Regarding above section BBM:
I have not seen this stated anywhere. I have seen it reported that she told her sister that they were having trouble, but do not recall anything about divorce being mentioned. Please share where you found this as it would definitely be an important bit of information!
I do not remember which article I read that in at the moment, but that doesn’t mean I pulled it from a non-approved source either.

Brother in law says something like -- "I know it's hard to believe. We got to believe him, he's family".

Me-- Well, he's not my family and I'm starting to doubt he's being truthful.

Like I said earlier, that is a very Filipino mindset... snipped to reply...

I do thank you for your wanting to convey the limitations placed on being of that nationality when it comes to divorce or loyalty, but there's lots of other nationalities that have that mind set, IMO.

I'm worried something worse than divorce might have happened and that's why Maya is missing. MOO, even if that generality applies to some, there's also plenty of couples who stay together in the same house, sometimes miserable for years, for other reasons like for the children's sake or for economic and financial reasons.

Plus, also MOO, regardless even if the sister and brother in law try to remain on the fence because "he's family", I can tell they have suspicions. Again, MOO, they have to remain "friendly" for now. They aren't sure of anything yet, and neither am I, but I can be more open about my suspicions. Family loyalty may change if they find out he harmed her. That's what I want to know... did that argument get violent?

BBM / All just my own thoughts and my own opinion.

Last edited:
I do thank you for your wanting to convey the limitations placed on being of that nationality when it comes to divorce or loyalty, but there's lots of other nationalities that have that mind set, IMO.

I'm worried something worse than divorce might have happened and that's why Maya is missing. MOO, even if that generality applies to some, there's also plenty of couples who stay together in the same house, sometimes miserable for years, for other reasons like for the children's sake or for economic and financial reasons.

Plus, also MOO, regardless even if the sister and brother in law try to remain on the fence because "he's family", I can tell they have suspicions. Again, MOO, they have to remain "friendly" for now. They aren't sure of anything yet, and neither am I, but I can be more open about my suspicions. Family loyalty may change if they find out he harmed her. That's what I want to know... did that argument get violent?

BBM / All just my own thoughts and my own opinion.
Keep your enemies closer ... they are doing a good job remaining neutral on the face of things. Plus he has control of the kids, if they alienate him the kids are going to suffer even further. He may not let family see them.

ABC 10News spoke to her husband on Thursday. He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife. He tells ABC 10News he is grateful for all of the search efforts.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-n...nvestigator-to-help-in-search-for-missing-mom
Thanks. So...
"He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife."

Sounds like the husband was being questioned extensively by LE, as in an investigation. From what I know, he hasn't helped find his wife in the past two big searches, nor do I think he went to the vigil for his wife either. He told Maya's sister he was leaving it up to her to search for his wife. LE had him "help" find his wife because they are investigating him, IMO.

Don't know how much a Private Investigator can come up with when there's no solid info to go on yet.

Investigators will only share updates when they have them. Especially with families.

However, it is more than common to not share info if it may jeopardize the investigation.

One tidbit in my two decades+ of investigating. The thing that hurts and pains you the most is when you absolutely know who the suspect is, but have no legal way to prove it. It becomes a waiting game. Days. Months. Even years. To catch that one slip that reveals all the cards.

I remember working on a case in Florida. It was obvious who the suspect was. Everyone knew even him/her. And he even knew we had been watching him and collecting evidence for over 1.5 years. He continued on his day to day routines for the entire time. It wasn’t until he moved to New Mexico that tipped off a series of discoveries. One account leading to another and so forth. Point being, changes in behaviors can reveal a lot. Obviously I changed the states and the type of crime. ;)

Snipped for focused reply.
It has been my observation that LE frequently only reaches out to the family for an update unless they have something new to tell them. Every LE group has their own style, but typically this is my observation

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:
Private investigator is a great decision. Great decision!

for one, I personally don’t believe this department is known for extensive criminal homicide investigations of this magnitude and complexity. Chula is no LA or New York. Their detectives are beat cops that have either rotated into the special unit or possibly are tenured investigative generalist. Not only do they do homicides, but investigate a broad range of activities with zero specialization. I’ve seen many of these inexperienced detectives from small departments pass through Georgia many a times.

But back to why it is a great decision.
1. They spend as much time on the case as you pay them. Police detectives have hundreds of cases a year typically spread across 3-5 detectives. From fraud to burglary and gang violence. And everything in between. And you tend to focus on the things you can quickly close. Sometimes their time is spent wasted working with investigators from other departments trying to just figure out who’s jurisdiction is who (Eg contractor fraud against senior citizens - something I wasted an entire year working with local detectives on)
2. Majority of private detectives are very very experienced. This is their bread and butter. It’s what they wake up thinking about day in and day out. And they are far more technologically experienced than most detectives at many police departments. Most police departments are still trying to figure out what a drone is. But in top of that. Many private detectives are retired fed agents. Retired lifelong homicide detectives. Etc. FBI agents. DSS agents. oIG agents like myself. On and on. Folks who spent their life training as investigators.
3. They can do things that police can’t do. Police are limited to activities because they could F things up. Private detectives are like dog the bounty hunter. I’ll leave it at that.

Thanks. So...
"He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife."

Sounds like the husband was being questioned extensively by LE, as in an investigation. From what I know, he hasn't helped find his wife in the past two big searches, nor do I think he went to the vigil for his wife either. He told Maya's sister he was leaving it up to her to search for his wife. LE had him "help" find his wife because they are investigating him, IMO.

Don't know how much a Private Investigator can come up with when there's no solid info to go on yet.

ABC 10News spoke to her husband on Thursday. He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife. He tells ABC 10News he is grateful for all of the search efforts.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-n...nvestigator-to-help-in-search-for-missing-mom
Chula Vista family hires investigator to help in search for missing mom (10news.com)
Who'd they hire as their Private Investigator? Whoever the PI is has hard work ahead.

When exactly did she go missing?
What was she wearing?
What time do you think she left the house?
Did she leave on foot? In which direction?
She has her phone with her, but is not answering?
Did she call someone to pick her up?

I’ll get off my soap box after this rant. But I really like this site. I retired and moved to San Diego last year and this has been the biggest news close to home since moving here. Which is the main reason why I created this account and have been following the commentary here.

But the key thing I wanted to share was in my lifelong career as an investigator, my biggest cases were solved by regular people. A mom. A dad. A neighbor. A friend.

I can recall countless times, some regular joe who put all the pieces together for an investigator to follow through, explore and stitch together. My biggest case ever involving a multi-state crime was solved buy a single victim who spent years piecing together this incredible case that was impacting victims in multiple states for over a decade. A real brilliant young kid at that time.

I remember the day we had the sheriffs department. FBI and agents from various agencies all geared up and ready to arrest the SOB. I put this young man on FaceTime as we approached the house. Sheriff made the arrest with no incident. And I let the young man look at this dude on the phone and say “I gotcha” on the call. Best close to a case ever.

you all have the power to find out what happened to maya. Please don’t give up.

But back to why it is a great decision.
1. They spend as much time on the case as you pay them... snipped to reply
I value your opinion. Do you know the Chula Vista area well? My son and his family live there.

It's probably good money for the PI, but how successful are they?
I've followed maybe hundreds of cases on here over the years, and granted I might not have the best memory, but I can't remember a great PI success story where the case was solved by the PI. Most went cold. Do you think the PI will be able to dig up more because the family doesn't seem able to supply the PI with any definite info? I hope the PI questions all her co-workers and friends too.

I retired and moved to San Diego last year and this has been the biggest news close to home since moving here.
Snipped to reply. Stick around on this case please. Oh, so this case caught your interest. Did you follow the case about the guy found in the barrel thrown into the CV Bay?

great insightful questions. Typically, PI is augmenting the investigation. Not the primary. and quite often, you’ll rarely have a PI being recognized as part of solving a case once done. If you’ve ever been through trial or read through the transcripts, very common to have PIs involved with a good number of big cases.

like my example above. Young man who truly did all the investigative work. Obviously wasn’t mentioned in the news articles for solving the case if at all.

but do have to agree with you. In our world. I do recall 50% of cases similar to these are cold for 10+ years. Hopefully it doesn’t discourage anyone to not pull out all stops.

I value your opinion. Do you know the Chula Vista area well? My son and his family live there.

It's probably good money for the PI, but how successful are they?
I've followed maybe hundreds of cases on here over the years, and granted I might not have the best memory, but I can't remember a great PI success story where the case was solved by the PI. Most went cold. Do you think the PI will be able to dig up more because the family doesn't seem able to supply the PI with any definite info? I hope the PI questions all her co-workers and friends too.

Snipped to reply. Stick around on this case please. Oh, so this case caught your interest. Did you follow the case about the guy found in the barrel thrown into the CV Bay?

I’ll get off my soap box after this rant. But I really like this site. I retired and moved to San Diego last year and this has been the biggest news close to home since moving here. Which is the main reason why I created this account and have been following the commentary here.

But the key thing I wanted to share was in my lifelong career as an investigator, my biggest cases were solved by regular people. A mom. A dad. A neighbor. A friend.

I can recall countless times, some regular joe who put all the pieces together for an investigator to follow through, explore and stitch together. My biggest case ever involving a multi-state crime was solved buy a single victim who spent years piecing together this incredible case that was impacting victims in multiple states for over a decade. A real brilliant young kid at that time.

I remember the day we had the sheriffs department. FBI and agents from various agencies all geared up and ready to arrest the SOB. I put this young man on FaceTime as we approached the house. Sheriff made the arrest with no incident. And I let the young man look at this dude on the phone and say “I gotcha” on the call. Best close to a case ever.

you all have the power to find out what happened to maya. Please don’t give up.
Wow! What a nice post :)
So glad you’re here! It’s a great place with all sorts of cases and insights. Hope to see ya around :)

We can't quote anything here, or discuss social media stuff, but be sure to visit the official Find May/Maya site.
Find May/Maya Millete - Posts | Facebook

Wow, a former colleague thought so highly of Maya (shared on the site) and after reading it I am in awe of Maya. What an incredible person. This was not an irresponsible woman, IMO. She was a leader.

Prayers for Maya. Prayers for her Children missing her so much.
Prayers for her Family to stay strong.

I’ll get off my soap box after this rant. But I really like this site. I retired and moved to San Diego last year and this has been the biggest news close to home since moving here. Which is the main reason why I created this account and have been following the commentary here. [snipped]
Thanks for joining us here. It's a great site. And thanks so much for encouraging us. Although I know we do help in a lot of cases, sometimes it feels like we really are just armchair detectives, and it's frustrating for me. I'd be very interested to know if some of our discussions actually help LE and we never know it. I'll bet it happens.

I haven’t read or heard of LE executing a search warrant for the home or outdoor property. This leads me to believe whatever physically happened to Maya, occurred elsewhere.

What are the children’s regular bedtimes? Did the marital argument happen after they were asleep? If so, it is unlikely the children saw or heard anything. Our kids never saw, or heard, us argue and were surprised at our divorce announcement. They were 10 & 13 at the time. The oldest did sense the tension but the youngest was oblivious.

If they were in the throes of an argument, would they leave the house together? I don’t think so because neighbors would hear voices echoing. When Maya couldn’t deal with the argument any further, she may have simply left on foot, walked for a short distance, then sent a code word in a text, or called to be picked up.

It is in husband’s best interest to stay home and out of sight. I haven’t read that he’s lawyered up. Maybe he truly doesn’t have a reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn