CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that the family will get disappointed about is the lack or urgency the department will seem to place into this case. Because it is still just a missing person case for a single individual, not much pressure for them to solve.

Ans, because it doesn’t involve kids (and thank god it doesn’t), that in itself relieves the department from the weight of the community to solve it. Sad life of investigative work and how things are prioritized.

Morale is the story: As long as the family and community continues to push, they will continue to do their job. Once folks start moving on, “off to the next case”. Power of the people.

The thing that the family will get disappointed about is the lack or urgency the department will seem to place into this case. Because it is still just a missing person case for a single individual, not much pressure for them to solve.

Ans, because it doesn’t involve kids (and thank god it doesn’t), that in itself relieves the department from the weight of the community to solve it. Sad life of investigative work and how things are prioritized.

Morale is the story: As long as the family and community continues to push, they will continue to do their job. Once folks start moving on, “off to the next case”. Power of the people.

Excellent post and IMO you're absolutely correct.

It's so important to keep this story in the news....television, radio, social media, newspapers. Please open and like stories about the disappearance. Clicks matter.

@JakeB911 , we are delighted to have someone with your extensive experience here on WS, sleuthing away with us amateurs. Your insights are so valuable to us. Would you consider becoming an "verified expert"? In this manner, anything you comment on with regard to investigations won't require a main stream media source. Here's the link to learn more. It would be great to have you as one of our experts! Thanks for considering it.
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Amateur opinion and speculation

It's great to have a former investigator here, but I don't think the Chula Vista Police Department would agree with all your points :)

This is a fairly high profile case and is currently receiving quite a bit of media attention. Granted, that's due to the efforts of her family. But saying there is "not much pressure for them to solve" and because this case does not involve a child - "it relieves the department from the weight of the community to solve it" is an unfair statement.

Most cases if not solved within 1-6 months, will eventually reach the stage where media becomes disinterested and the thread slips off page 1.

I think Maya's family is desperate to find answers, but if there is a lack of evidence pointing to what happened to her what would you have LE do? In one news article yesterday, LM said he spent "hours" with LE on Wednesday. Maybe LE is applying pressure and there will be a break in the case soon. Hoping so anyway.

In the world of investigative work, it’s less common the the lack of evidence that hinders progress, but the lack of resources and experience.

Here’s a good example.

A case not too long ago involving an organized crime family was being handled by the San Diego police department. They had little to no leads. “No evidence”. They asked the FBI, DSS for help, but wasn’t provided because it was considered a low level crime at that point in time. Case was open for 2 years.

In the third year, crime activity elevated to “terrorism” and the ATF, FBI and DSS were involved. Access to various systems were provided including surveillance and various platforms only privy to Federal agencies that would take years to grant for the SD detectives.

case solved within a week.

point being, resources and experience makes a huge difference. Sure I’m coming from the federal space. But I can tell you this. When I was overseas serving as a DSS agent in my younger years, if this was a crime against a dignitary, this case would be halfway to closure. The amount of both technical and non-technical resources that would be employed to solve this would be instantaneous. One of a dozen examples: satellite imagery snapshots for every hour since the time LM indicated she was lost.

@JakeB911 , we are delighted to have someone with your extensive experience here on WS, sleuthing away with us amateurs. Your insights are so valuable to us. Would you consider becoming an "verified expert"? In this manner, anything you comment on with regard to investigations won't require a main stream media source. Here's the link to learn more. It would be great to have you as one of our experts! Thanks for considering it.
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

It's great to have a former investigator here, but I don't think the Chula Vista Police Department would agree with all your points :)

This is a fairly high profile case and is currently receiving quite a bit of media attention. Granted, that's due to the efforts of her family. But saying there is "not much pressure for them to solve" and because this case does not involve a child - "it relieves the department from the weight of the community to solve it" is an unfair statement.

Most cases if not solved within 1-6 months, will eventually reach the stage where media becomes disinterested and the thread slips off page 1.

I think Maya's family is desperate to find answers, but if there is a lack of evidence pointing to what happened to her what would you have LE do? In one news article yesterday, LM said he spent "hours" with LE on Wednesday. Maybe LE is applying pressure and there will be a break in the case soon. Hoping so anyway.

Last edited:
In the world of investigative work, it’s less common the the lack of evidence that hinders progress, but the lack of resources and experience.

Here’s a good example.

A case not too long ago involving an organized crime family was being handled by the San Diego police department. They had little to no leads. “No evidence”. They asked the FBI, DSS for help, but wasn’t provided because it was considered a low level crime at that point in time. Case was open for 2 years.

In the third year, crime activity elevated to “terrorism” and the ATF, FBI and DSS were involved. Access to various systems were provided including surveillance and various platforms only privy to Federal agencies that would take years to grant for the SD detectives.

case solved within a week.

point being, resources and experience makes a huge difference. Sure I’m coming from the federal space. But I can tell you this. When I was overseas serving as a DSS agent in my younger years, if this was a crime against a dignitary, this case would be halfway to closure. The amount of both technical and non-technical resources that would be employed to solve this would be instantaneous. One of a dozen examples: satellite imagery snapshots for every hour since the time LM indicated she was lost.
Your reply is different than what I responded to, or maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to convey.

So thank you for clarifying, lack of resources and experience is a different matter. A good current example of what you pointed to, is the case of the missing boys Orrin & Orson from California City. CCPD has 13 sworn officers and is a very small department with few resources. They are being aided in the investigation by BPD, KCSO, FBI & Kern County DA's Office.

Curious if you know anything about CVPD, do they have additional resources they can call on?

Regarding LM not doing a face to face interview with reporters, he may well be a very private person. I can truly understand that because that's exactly how my husband is. My hubby is shy, quiet and very reserved and I am the opposite. Like MM, I am very independent. As you can tell by my screen name, I look for cemeteries. I find them, photograph them, document them for our local museum and genealogical society, but I also visit cemeteries in our state and other states to photograph a particular grave for a loved one who is not able to visit it themselves. I have gone cemetery hunting many times in the woods, on rural back roads and mountains by myself and my hubby has said before that if I went missing on one of those outings and he reported me missing, he would definitely be looked at as a suspect in my disappearance because he wouldn't be able to tell LE what I was wearing, exactly what time I left or exactly where I was going. It wouldn't be because he had done something to me or didn't care or love me...it would be because he wasn't paying attention and knew how independent I am. We never argue, and I mean never! We have disagreed on how we view things but never argue. That's because he is so calm and reserved. I said all of that to say this...we can't assume that just because a person is missing, the spouse is always to blame. MM may have left her house to walk and clear her head and had an accident somehow, or crossed paths with someone who had evil on their mind. Things are not always how they seem. We are just outsiders looking in on this awful situation. Praying MM is found soon! Just MHO.

...We never argue, and I mean never! We have disagreed on how we view things but never argue.
Lucky you, never arguing with your husband. With all due respect, and all MOO, you probably can't imagine then how arguing constantly heightens the anger. The couple we're talking about did argue, and had been fighting for the past year. In fact, they had an argument right before she went totally missing and she has not been seen since that argument. LM may be shy and quiet, but he also said some things in his phone interview that put Maya in a bad light, IMO. He also said she was there Friday, when it seems she wasn't, but that's MOO. It's true we are just outsiders trying to figure out what happened to Maya. We're putting together this puzzle with crucial pieces missing. LM seems to be the only one with the puzzle pieces and he doesn't know when or where she went. MOO, it's not wrong to look at this from all angles. I'm praying right beside you that Maya is found.

I've looked at the husband with a side-eye, and can't find anything that leads me to believe he is involved in his wife's disappearance. Of course I could be wrong, but unless something else comes to light, I don't believe he has anything to do with her disappearance.

My best theory ATM, is that this very socially active gal had a stalker/admirer who is responsible for snatching her. IWT this is someone known to her, and likely her BFF would know if she had a special friend she had been communicating with/socializing with. Her BFF is the best source for information to solve this disappearance, IMO.

Do we know if Maya was socializing with singles, or married people? In general, (not always), a married person hanging out with mostly singles isn't always a good thing. Not saying always, just depends I suppose.

I've looked at the husband with a side-eye, and can't find anything that leads me to believe he is involved in his wife's disappearance. Of course I could be wrong, but unless something else comes to light, I don't believe he has anything to do with her disappearance.

My best theory ATM, is that this very socially active gal had a stalker/admirer who is responsible for snatching her. IWT this is someone known to her, and likely her BFF would know if she had a special friend she had been communicating with/socializing with. Her BFF is the best source for information to solve this disappearance, IMO.

Right. I too, think it's very likely she had a date, boyfriend or simply an attacker or stalker who is responsible. I know it's a trope, but also it's also logic that to murder, one must have means, motive and opportunity. Perhaps the husband has the first two, but I'm not seeing any evidence or indications of the latter. Not yet, not with the information released so far.

Right. I too, think it's very likely she had a date, boyfriend or simply an attacker or stalker who is responsible. I know it's a trope, but also it's also logic that to murder, one must have means, motive and opportunity. Perhaps the husband has the first two, but I'm not seeing any evidence or indications of the latter. Not yet, not with the information released so far.
Further, IMO, (no data or professional qualification to back this up), I think there are many women who don't contemplate a divorce seriously until they have another Partner in mind.....opinion only!!!!

I want to go on record to say...I did not just assume “the husband did it.” It’s not about the argument, it’s not about not seeing her all day on Friday. It’s a bunch of little things that seem off to me. Things from the interview that feel like excuses on the husband’s part. I would be ecstatic to be wrong. My second guess is a stalker. I think by now somebody would know about a love interest. And I believe LE is way ahead of us. At least I hope so.

I want to go on record to say...I did not just assume “the husband did it.” It’s not about the argument, it’s not about not seeing her all day on Friday. It’s a bunch of little things that seem off to me. Things from the interview that feel like excuses on the husband’s part. I would be ecstatic to be wrong. My second guess is a stalker. I think by now somebody would know about a love interest. And I believe LE is way ahead of us. At least I hope so.
I strongly suspect LM, but I'm also open to someone from work, her Jeep Club, or - insert the many other ways you meet people in life.

The problem is I don't have a clear picture of what happened Thursday afternoon/evening into Friday.

I sure hope they used luminol in their search.

This article answers some questions we've had. If as they've said, she was last seen Thursday, then the children saw her maybe before the argument with husband. It does say it was the night before she went missing, so they argued at night when it might've been dark out. Ah, LE have searched the home twice and found no evidence of a crime.

Family and friends hold vigil for missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com
from the news article:
“It's been a nightmare, painful heartbreaking,” said Maricris Drouaillet, Maya’s sister.

She says Maya’s children were the last one's to see her inside their San Miguel Ranch home, her family says her Jeep and Lexus were still parked in front of the house.

“She is always on her phone but her phone was off all day Friday,” said Drouaillet.

Her sister says her bedroom door was locked but she wasn’t inside and on Sunday missed her daughter’s birthday where they planned to celebrate in Big Bear.

“Any mother wouldn't miss their daughter's birthday,” said Drouaillet.

Her sister confirms Larry and Maya had an argument the night before she went missing but doesn’t know what it was about. Police say the couple had marital problems but says the husband is cooperating and they’ve searched the home twice and have not found evidence of a crime and have not issued search warrants, but several detectives are investigating Maya’s disappearance.

This article answers some questions we've had. If as they've said, she was last seen Thursday, then the children saw her maybe before the argument with husband. It does say it was the night before she went missing, so they argued at night when it might've been dark out. Ah, LE have searched the home twice and found no evidence of a crime.

from the news article:
“It's been a nightmare, painful heartbreaking,” said Maricris Drouaillet, Maya’s sister.

She says Maya’s children were the last one's to see her inside their San Miguel Ranch home, her family says her Jeep and Lexus were still parked in front of the house.

“She is always on her phone but her phone was off all day Friday,” said Drouaillet.

Her sister says her bedroom door was locked but she wasn’t inside and on Sunday missed her daughter’s birthday where they planned to celebrate in Big Bear.

“Any mother wouldn't miss their daughter's birthday,” said Drouaillet.

Her sister confirms Larry and Maya had an argument the night before she went missing but doesn’t know what it was about. Police say the couple had marital problems but says the husband is cooperating and they’ve searched the home twice and have not found evidence of a crime and have not issued search warrants, but several detectives are investigating Maya’s disappearance.
I sure hope they used luminol in their search.

Thank You for finding this particular News8 article that says LE did two searches of the house. It really depends on how thorough they searched the house. Sometimes there is no blood as in strangulation. Sometimes a cadaver dog is brought in, but no mention of that in this case.

I've thought about if some abductor attacked her as she was on a walk in the canyon behind their house or in the park where they held those big group searches for Maya two days the first week. That's the same park where they held her vigil. In an abduction case, I'd expect them to find the body quickly as I'd think a random attacker wouldn't go through much trouble to hide the body. They searched that park thoroughly, I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member