CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO, just some thoughts:
I wonder what day Maya and her family were actually planning to hit the road for Big Bear. The daughter’s birthday was on Sunday, but were they going to get a cabin and spend at least a couple of days there? It’s a pretty long drive from Chula Vista to Big Bear.

In preparation of the trip, it’s likely Maya had a big check list of things to do. Maybe pick up a birthday cake. Buy decorations. Get groceries. Pack clothing for the kids and herself. Load the car.

I believe I read or heard that Maya is the one who organized the trip, so, yeah, her family must’ve thought no way would she have gone on an impromptu side trip somewhere and was just gonna show up last minute for the Big Bear trip, knowing she’s too responsible a person for that. (I’m recalling the part where LM suggested to her parents to keep waiting a little longer before reporting her missing to the police.)
MOO

I agree that MM not taking her phone is a red flag. Unless, of course, she didn’t want to be tracked.

However, nothing that I have read thus far suggests she would walk away from her kids. ; quite the opposite.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I thought her phone was gone and her credit card too.
I'm thinking LM didn't take his phone when he went out on Friday.

In this day and age, home surveillance videos are common place. Have we heard any updates on the last time Maya was captured on video? It would be very helpful to understand Maya’s entrance and exit route’s at that residence. I’d also like to know where the children’s rooms are in proximity to hers.

amateur opinion and speculation

Phone call with husband of missing Chula Vista mom, Maya Millete - ABC 10NEWS San Diego - Omny.fm

At the 03:00 minute mark he is saying maybe they should wait to report her missing. He wanted to wait until after 3:30 a.m., but Maya's family was right on it a lot sooner. They found out they had to check hospitals first, they did, and then by 2:30 (was that p.m. or a.m.???) they were able to file the missing person's report. He even says something about them asking neighbors for camera footage right away! It's almost as though the family knew more.

I guess he was dreading the LE process which is understandable, especially for a private person.

Is it possible he actually did expect her to come home sometime after 2:30 a.m.? The difference between him and Maya's family in their frantic alarm and his casualness is puzzling and of interest. They came to that house seeming to know something serious had occurred, and he's still not realizing she's missing until they get there Saturday morning. Then, he wants to stall reporting her missing. He throws in her needing her space to the point it becomes his excuse for not even noticing her gone for an entire day and night. Whereas, Maya's family is pulling all the alarms. It's such a blaring difference. :( Without Maya's family, I'm not sure if Maya would've been reported missing by her husband of 21 yrs. at all or for a long time. o_O He explains they were that estranged.
You are raising a point I hadn’t really dwelled on. Why exactly was the family so frantic, and most especially *if* they knew staying out until 2 or 3 in the morning was something Maya did?

What did Maya’s family know that we don’t?

A few thoughts this morning...

1. Has anyone seen a layout of the house. I'd really like to get a sense of where Maya's bedroom is and where everyone else is situated.

2. Phone records would be back by now and I think that precipitated the warrant. The red flags, and then boom something of substance to get a warrant. Sorry, LM's version of events and his behaviour just don't make sense.

3. LE are pretty quiet. I think they are working diligently and I also think they know the outcome.

4. I think we will see movements shortly.

MOO

I'm new to this, so forgive the technical learning curve... but I'm attempting to reply to the comment above me. Here is a link to the house on realtor . com. No floor plans, but there are images from inside the home.

- 5 Bed
-3.5 bath
-3, 682 sq ft.

Still not sure which room belongs to whom still.

2413 Paseo Los Gatos, Chula Vista, CA 91914 - realtor.com®

Thank you for the info @Ryusaki.

I was particularly interested in the back. There is a large fenced terrace. I do not see a gate to the hillside/small canyon behind.
I had wondered if it was possible that Maya left the house through the back, onto a trail, if no surveillance video is found leaving the house from the front, and along whatever her usual path was in the neighborhood to get to any hiking trails.

Large house, with a bedroom downstairs as well.

It's a lovely home, and certainly plenty of room for all. It makes me sad looking at this couple, their lovely home, their expensive recreational vehicles, the three sweet kids, and wondering how things ended up so fractured between them. Based on the length of their marriage and the age of the kids, they had about ten years to bond as husband and wife, and explore life together before settling down to grow a family. So...sad. I know it's a common story, far too common, but sad none the less. And now the beautiful wife has vanished. Lord have mercy.

As I posted upthread, I think it's very important to obtain video to determine if the husband left the home with his car from the garage, or the street. That in itself will be a strong determinant if LE should be looking in his direction or not. I still don't have anything concrete to lead me to speculate he is involved in her disappearance. I remain open minded.

Where is Maya?

IIRC, the husband said his wife would sometimes stay out until 3:30am. Perhaps that is why he suggested they wait until a bit later.

*I have a new speculation for consideration*

Chula Vista is only 1 hour from Tijuana, and they've still been partying hard despite the pandemic. Only since Jan 7 (coincidentally the day Maya went missing), have authorities started to limit various activities to curb COVID.
*If* the characterization of Maya being a big party girl is accurate, I think her going to party in Tijuana is a good possibility. She wouldn't need a passport to get in to Mexico, but she'd need one to get back in to the U.S.

*Does she have a passport and is it missing?*" Border Patrol records should be checked to see if Maya was a frequent flyer to TJ. If this wild card theory is accurate and she met with misadventure in Tijuana, the chances of ever recovering her is not impossible, but certainly not good. Trafficking women in brothels in TJ is a real thing, and most don't escape. They are usually looking for women half her age, but she looks very young.

Tijuana’s ‘restaurant-bars’ ordered to shut down as pandemic drags on | FOX 5 San Diego

I just can't go here after the McStay fiasco. I argued why that didn't happen till I almost pulled my hair out. Not to say that didn't happen in this case. Just the mention of TJ sends me to a dark place. Lol. Thanks for letting me rant.

It makes me sad looking at this couple, their lovely home, their expensive recreational vehicles, the three sweet kids, and wondering how things ended up so fractured between them. Based on the length of their marriage and the age of the kids, they had about ten years to bond as husband and wife, and explore life together before settling down to grow a family. So...sad. I know it's a common story, far too common, but sad none the less.

Two thoughts:
1, related to the post quoted above: While it is possible MM/LM had a happy marriage at some point--pre-children or post-children--I don't think I have seen anything in the news that suggests their difficulties or estrangement were of recent origin. This is to say that their troubles may have been a long time in the making (not that it's any less sad if that is the case, only that it's a tiny bit less surprising).
2. I don't know if this has been noted by others, but this comment from LM in the earliest news reports *really* rubbed me the wrong way:
"'I called her boss, she didn't even log in. And that's the other alarming part, because work for her is like a party ... that's her outlet,' Millete says."

That her husband described her (ostensibly pretty serious, important) career as "like a party" for her comes off as a little, well, insulting (although I understand that this may be an uncharitable interpretation since LM may not be as eloquent in English as in a different language). And how likely does it seem it that MM actually regarded her work as "an outlet" if she already (per her husband's account) HAD plenty (too many?) social outlets?

Just my conjecture.

I was particularly interested in the back. There is a large fenced terrace. I do not see a gate to the hillside/small canyon behind.
I had wondered if it was possible that Maya left the house through the back, onto a trail, if no surveillance video is found leaving the house from the front, and along whatever her usual path was in the neighborhood to get to any hiking trails.

Hi. To me it looks like you can see the post for a gate in this picture. The fact that the one pole is thicker and extends beyond the top of the fence line leads me to believe that it is a gate. MOO

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 69

(AMATEUR OPINION AND SPECULATION)

I entertained this idea and looked at the hiking area around her neighborhood extensively on google maps. With all respect, I do not believe that she could have left the house through the back undetected

These early-mid 2000's upper-middle class suburbs are copy and pasted all over Southern California. A park next to an area of hiking trails with electric lines is a very common feature to be built into these suburbs. It is possible for her to hop the fence. If she hopped the fence, she would be in a storm drain that she could follow up to the hiking trails. The problem with this is that almost all of the backyards along the way are exposed to the storm drain with just a black metal fence separating the two areas. This is seen in one of the photos in my previous post. It would be very hard for her to walk along the storm drain at either night (backyard trip lights) or day without being seen by a neighbor through a back window, a dog that would wake people up, or even a backyard facing Ring Camera. The storm drain runs up a hill and behind several homes, it would be difficult for her to make this trek unnoticed. But lets say she did make it up to the hiking trail.

Given the photos provided on Google Maps, I can tell that MM's corner of the neighborhood is not a quiet one, at least not by a typical SoCal suburb standards. Being next to a baseball park and the Mother Miguel Mountain hiking trail, one of the most popular hiking trails in the area (I'm an SDSU Alumni), residents here would be accustomed to strangers parking on the street to use the fields of the park or to reach the trails of their hike or bike ride. These trails are easily accessible, completely visible, and an ear shot away from the neighborhood. If any accident happened, loud vocalizations could be heard. Also on Google Maps, it appears that some go-getters and military types do night hikes on the trails and early morning runs. Because of all this, I have a hard time believing that no one would see her going on a hike or run on Friday or even Saturday morning.

Ultimately, the ubiquity of home surveillance systems makes it hard for me to think that there is no footage of at least LM's truck driving through the neighborhood, or of MM somehow accessing the hiking trails that are next to the neighborhood. I want to word this next part respectfully and please note this is my amateur opinion. MOO is that there is a better chance of the former existing than the latter, LM could be hiding more information. Personally I think he is where the focus of the investigation needs to be. It appears LE is wisely holding their cards close to their chest regarding any evidence they have.

This event is so heartbreaking and I feel so much for her children and family. I hope her family and friends can get meaningful closure soon and find Maya <3

Exposed Backyard to Storm Drain - most houses along path have this view of storm drain, high visibility to path, would make some form of detection highly possible

2413 Paseo Los Gatos, Chula Vista, CA 91914 - realtor.com®

Busy For a Residential Area - poplar hiking place, someone not noticing anything suspicious is highly unlikely

Google Maps

Google Maps

Trails Visible/Accessible From Street - Makes no one seeing her unlikely

(shows trail starts above residence in question)
Google Maps

Google Maps

(Residence in question is on street that seemingly runs vertically above biker's head)
Google Maps

Google Maps

Hi. To me it looks like you can see the post for a gate in this picture. The fact that the one pole is thicker and extends beyond the top of the fence line leads me to believe that it is a gate. MOO
Isn't that the upper floor balcony? I think the ground floor terrace is below that, with the black iron fencing.

Isn't that the upper floor balcony? I think the ground floor terrace is below that, with the black iron fencing.
Hi. Yeah, that's the upper floor balcony. But if you look at the black fence below, that's what I'm referencing. Again, not 100% but it looks like it to me.

I think the thicker black upright is the part that stays stationary when the gate swings open. The lack of shrubbery in that section along the fence supports it as well.

[Respectfully snipped by me for focus] I don't know if this has been noted by others, but this comment from LM in the earliest news reports *really* rubbed me the wrong way:
"'I called her boss, she didn't even log in. And that's the other alarming part, because work for her is like a party ... that's her outlet,' Millete says."

That her husband described her (ostensibly pretty serious, important) career as "like a party" for her comes off as a little, well, insulting (although I understand that this may be an uncharitable interpretation since LM may not be as eloquent in English as in a different language). And how likely does it seem it that MM actually regarded her work as "an outlet" if she already (per her husband's account) HAD plenty (too many?) social outlets.
This has bothered the hound out of me since day one. If Maya enjoyed Jeeping *half* as much as it appears on her FB, I can’t imagine work would be her outlet for fun. JMO.

This has bothered the hound out of me since day one. If Maya enjoyed Jeeping *half* as much as it appears on her FB, I can’t imagine work would be her outlet for fun. JMO.
I really do think this is a language issue; misinterpretation. I think what he is saying is that she wouldn’t miss work voluntarily because she really likes what she does.

This is not Maya. It's a young man that went hiking yesterday.
Mission Trails Missing Runner: Body Found During Search (fox5sandiego.com)

Police say 'reason to believe' body found in Mission Trails is that of missing hiker | cbs8.com

animated-dividing-line-image-0068.gif
animated-sun-image-0101.gif

Everytime the news reports about this latest hiker found, they always mention that Maya is still missing. There was another search at that nearby park today.

At the 00:25 Chula Vista Police Chief Roxana Kennedy assures the public that LE is investigating Maya's case fully
and she makes a statement that "if someone is responsible for her disappearance we want to hold them responsible".
Chula Vista mom still missing after three weeks | cbs8.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member