CA CA - Mitrice Richardson, 24, Malibu, 17 Sep 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Searchers to comb Malibu Canyon area for Mitrice Richardson

January 9, 2010 | 6:30 am

Law enforcement authorities are undertaking their most ambitious search this morning for Mitrice Richardson, the young woman who disappeared in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 17 after being released from the Lost Hills sheriff's substation in Calabasas.

Richardson, who LAPD detectives now think was suffering from a severe form of bipolar disease, was arrested at the Malibu restaurant Geoffrey's when she could not pay her dinner bill.

An estimated 300 trained volunteers, aided by dogs, will fan out across the rugged terrain in the Malibu Canyon area where Richardson is believed to have been spotted on foot by a couple of area residents in the early morning of her release. An equine search unit as well as helicopters will join the search.

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is coordinating the search at the request of the Los Angeles Police Department, which took the lead in the search for her months ago. This is the third organized search the Sheriff's Department has undertaken.

more here

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...alibu-canyon-area-for-mitrice-richardson.html

Searchers to comb Malibu Canyon area for Mitrice Richardson

January 9, 2010 | 6:30 am

Law enforcement authorities are undertaking their most ambitious search this morning for Mitrice Richardson, the young woman who disappeared in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 17 after being released from the Lost Hills sheriff's substation in Calabasas.

Richardson, who LAPD detectives now think was suffering from a severe form of bipolar disease, was arrested at the Malibu restaurant Geoffrey's when she could not pay her dinner bill.

An estimated 300 trained volunteers, aided by dogs, will fan out across the rugged terrain in the Malibu Canyon area where Richardson is believed to have been spotted on foot by a couple of area residents in the early morning of her release. An equine search unit as well as helicopters will join the search.

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is coordinating the search at the request of the Los Angeles Police Department, which took the lead in the search for her months ago. This is the third organized search the Sheriff's Department has undertaken.

more here

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...alibu-canyon-area-for-mitrice-richardson.html
I think this is so great, but why didn't this happen at the very beginning?

I think this is so great, but why didn't this happen at the very beginning?

It is one of those stories that has twists in it..
Reading the entire thread can be helpful.
Short story:
Mitrice at a restaurant. Acted oddly. Said strange things. Could not pay her bill. Grandmother said she would pay by phone. Restaurant said no.
Police called. Police found small amount of marijuana in car.
Mitrice taken to police station. Her car was impounded.
After awhile, she was released.
In the dark, mentally confused, although police deny that, in the Malibu canyon area.
She was seen the next day by someone in a neighborhood, but she ran off, did not stay.
She has never been seen since.
Mitrice's family, friends, some WS'ers are upset about the lack of what they consider LE duty to help someone who appears to need the help Mitrice did and letting her go on foot, after midnight, in the windy canyon roads. And then not doing a search immediately.
And that is a short version..........

Dreamweaver, I have read the whole story. I live in the county where Mitrice went missing. I don't get what your getting at. All's I asked was Why didn't 300 people search those canyons along time ago.

Hundreds join Search for Missing Woman's Remains

Mitrice Richardson missing since September 2009.

Updated: Saturday, 09 Jan 2010, 5:02 PM PST
Published : Saturday, 09 Jan 2010, 5:02 PM PST

Posted by: Scott Coppersmith / myFOXla.com

Malibu - More than 300 volunteers combed Malibu Creek State Park today, searching for the remains of a missing 24-year-old woman who may have died in the rugged canyon after being released in the middle of the night from an isolated sheriff's station Sept. 24, a sheriff's spokesperson said.

"It's (the search) winding down," said sheriff's spokesperson Steve Whitmore late in the afternoon. "So far there's nothing new to report.

"This is one of the largest searches the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has done," Whitmore said from the command post. "We've have about 300 to 340 people here today, from Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino and Orange counties.

Whitmore said part of the search effort, which began about 7 a.m., included 60 people on horseback, helicopter crews, a dog patrol and climbers scaling down steep canyon walls at Rindge Dam.

Whitmore said there will be no search Sunday.

more here

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/mitrice-richardson-search-20100109

I'm sorry to hear they are looking for her remains. I really have hope that Mitrice is alive somewhere and just unable to contact her family.

Dreamweaver, I have read the whole story. I live in the county where Mitrice went missing. I don't get what your getting at. All's I asked was Why didn't 300 people search those canyons along time ago.

I am sorry, I thought you wanted to know more about Mitrice and her disappearance.

There were searches, but I don't know how thorough they were.
I don't know if scent dogs were brought in.
There was a post awhile back that said they were going to search in the 'other ' direction and I never quite knew what to make of that.
Did they just search going down out of the canyon?

I only hope Mitrice can be found.

I am sorry, I thought you wanted to know more about Mitrice and her disappearance.

There were searches, but I don't know how thorough they were.
I don't know if scent dogs were brought in.
There was a post awhile back that said they were going to search in the 'other ' direction and I never quite knew what to make of that.
Did they just search going down out of the canyon?

I only hope Mitrice can be found.

Oh no need to be sorry. I know those canyons and they are not good. I just think if they would have put that much effort at the beginning it may have been a better outcome. There was a story awhile back about a man who went missing in his car and about a year later they found his car and him in the canyon. I feel if they would have done a more thorough search in the beginning they would have found that man. That's all. Didn't mean to sound harsh.

I share your frustration w/ this, Kenon....IMO, LE should have never let any woman walk out the door in the middle of the nite the way they did Mitrice. :furious:

Just because one is "free to go" does not make it safe to go....I certainly would not want to be "free to go" in downtown Austin in the middle of the nite w/ no phone, wrong clothes for the weather, etc....or anywhere else for that matter.

I share your frustration w/ this, Kenon....IMO, LE should have never let any woman walk out the door in the middle of the nite the way they did Mitrice. :furious:

Just because one is "free to go" does not make it safe to go....I certainly would not want to be "free to go" in downtown Austin in the middle of the nite w/ no phone, wrong clothes for the weather, etc....or anywhere else for that matter.
Your absolutely right. Ya know in Ventura County they would only let people out of jail after 2 am. Well just recently a girl got raped right around the jail and they changed their rules. I believe Lost Hills Sheriffs are to blame. It is totally ridiculous they let her go at that time, when they knew her car was impouned, no phone, no money etc.

That canyon and much of the surrounding area is pretty rugged and has a lot of vegatation. It would be very difficult to find someone without a really thorough search, which I don't believe they've done until now.

The other possibilities are that she went across the Pacific Coast Highway to the ocean OR that someone picked her up along the road.

I'm still holding out hope that she's alive somewhere and has suffered a serious mental breakdown.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-missing-woman-malibu,0,1119086.story

The family of a 24-year-old woman who mysteriously vanished after walking out of the Lost Hills sheriff's station nearly four months ago has filed a multi-million dollar claim against the county.

The claim, filed last week, alleges that sheriff's department personnel acted negligently in releasing Mitrice Richardson from custody Sept. 17.

Attorney Leo Terrell took the action on behalf of Richardson's mother, Latice Sutton; her father, Michael Richardson; the missing woman; and her estate. Terrell plans to follow the claim with a lawsuit.

more at link

http://malibusurfsidenews.com/stories/201002/201002110001.html

Letter Seeks Added ‘Clarification’ on Whether Other Evidence Is Being Withheld
BY ANNE SOBLE

Family members of 24-year-old Cal State Fullerton honor graduate Mitrice Richardson, who now has been missing for over five months, wrote Captain Tom Martin this week, the outgoing head of the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station, seeking information about videos of her that he said he possesses.

Existence of the videotapes was disclosed at a meeting between these family members, Captain Martin, other Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials, and Sheriff Lee Baca in the sheriff’s office on Jan. 6.

The saga of Richardson’s mysterious disappearance has been chronicled at length in the Malibu Surfside News, including her family’s assertion that Lost Hills Station personnel are responsible for the young black woman not having been seen or heard from since the morning of last Sept. 17.

I can't believe there's been no new information on this case! I hope something new comes out about it soon.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...sing-woman-files-claim-against-la-county.html

March 16, 2010 | 2:55 pm

The father of a woman missing for six months since being released from the sheriff's station in Calabasas filed a claim for damages Tuesday against Los Angeles County, alleging that deputies were negligent in their care of her.

Michael Richardson’s claim alleges that deputies “failed to respond reasonably to a suspect who exhibited signs of mental illness.” The document is similar to one filed two months ago by Latice Sutton, the mother of 24-year-old Mitrice Richardson.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back