CA CA - Modesto, WhtFem #UP58456,"Frosty Austin," Oct'18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Again an appeal to the public in 2019 finding next of kin.

Looking Next of Kin of "Frosty Austin" | Case Ravel

CALIFORNIA, UNIDENTIFIED- One Year Today
On October 6, 2018 “Frosty Austin” passed away in a Modesto, California nursing home. Fingerprints were taken but could not be identified. They have been unable to reach a next of kin.
She had strawberry blond hair, 5’5″ tall and had blue eyes.

Did you know someone who went by Frosty? We are only looking to properly identify her.

Stanislaus County Sheriff- Coroner Division (209) 567-4480
Agency Case Number C18-002245

What about a link to this person. He recorded this song.....grasping at straws here :D:D

Frosty the Snow Man Golden Record with Pat O'Malley, The Sandpipers and Mitch Miller and His Orchestra
Steve Nelson (Composer), Jack Rollins (Composer), Pat O'Malley (Artist), The Sandpipers (Artist), Mitch Miller and His Orchestra (Artist) Format: Vinyl

61hySk2YC6L._AC_UY218_.jpg

James Patrick O'Malley
Profile:
English singer, recording artist and character actor.
born 15/03/1904 in Burnley, UK
death 27/02/1985 in San Juan Capistrano, California, USA

@EricaJ4u2 Hi, sweetie can you come and take a look at this lady...cleaning up her picture and make her a lot younger and slimmer. No strains here, just a humble question.

What about a link to this person. He recorded this song.....grasping at straws here :D:D

Frosty the Snow Man Golden Record with Pat O'Malley, The Sandpipers and Mitch Miller and His Orchestra
Steve Nelson (Composer), Jack Rollins (Composer), Pat O'Malley (Artist), The Sandpipers (Artist), Mitch Miller and His Orchestra (Artist) Format: Vinyl

61hySk2YC6L._AC_UY218_.jpg

James Patrick O'Malley
Profile:
English singer, recording artist and character actor.
born 15/03/1904 in Burnley, UK
death 27/02/1985 in San Juan Capistrano, California, USA

This may show us where the lady 'found' the name she used to work at the restaurant.

Anyone interested in sending the young man's obituary to the Stanislaus County Coroner?

This may show us where the lady 'found' the name she used to work at the restaurant.

Anyone interested in sending the young man's obituary to the Stanislaus County Coroner?

I think so too....a totally made up name.....grrrr...what is her real name...why did she needed a fake name anyway...What do you mean with the second question, sorry I don't get you.

She wasn't arrested for something, other wise she would have had fingerprints on file and they would have identified her through that. Maybe she was hiding for drug lords or other's owning them money or was given another identity for some reason. Maybe she was famous in (a good or bad way) once and tired of all the attention. Hiding for her family, spouse?

There must be more to know about her. Didn't she talk to anybody, telling stuff? From when was she living in the nursing house? What were her arrangements/living conditions before that. Was she homeless, did she work?

Last edited:
Given the DOJ labor violation listing, I agree that Frosty was likely not a U.S. citizen.

I've mulled this over for a while and think there might be merit in comparing her to Helen Claire Frost (b. 1952), who went missing from British Columbia at 17 years of age in late 1970. RCMP seem to have written her off as a suicide, as she was reported to be distraught after she was forced to give her infant up for adoption in early 1970 and had unsuccessfully petitioned for reunification in the months prior her disappearance. She would have been 66 years old in 2018.

Helen Frost (WS thread here) currently seems to be a candidate for New London Co. Jane Doe (CT-USA), but the age-progression images on the Doe Network reminded me immediately of Frosty. Older Helen is depicted as wearing glasses and growing into a much heavier-set frame than she was at the time of her disappearance. She also matches Frosty's reported height and eye color, and is listed as having a slight droop of the right eye. I can see a similarity between the shape of the two women's eyes and nose, particularly the space between the eyebrows and and nose bridge. I also think Frosty's right eye has a slight droop, but this could be confirmation bias on my part.

I think RCMP/Connecticut's interest in Helen lends credence to voluntary disappearance as an alternate explanation for her whereabouts. She reportedly hitchhiked with regularity and used at least two aliases. Prince George seems like a million miles away from Stockton, but it's a straight shot down the Trans-Canada Hwy to the I-5.

Returning quickly to physical features, I think Helen Frost's biological daughter bears resemblance to both her mother's age-progression photos and Frosty. The daughter found Helen's sister a few years ago and spoke with the CBC about the search for her birth mother (which seems to include the use of genetic ancestry services); her image is not included in the CBC articles, but her name is listed and professional profile accessible via the web.

I do not know if anyone has previously suggested Helen Frost for Frosty; currently, the only NamUs rule-out for Frosty is Elizabeth Huffman.

I did a little bit of poking around on Ancestry...there is one picture of Frosty linked to the family tree for Donald Gordon Austin. It appears that the two of them were never legally married though she seems to have used Austin as her last name. Donald died earlier in 2018, and the person who created the family tree noted that there is no marriage record for Donald and Frosty, but they had originally told people they got married sometime around 1992. The obituary listed in post #4 of this thread is indeed for Donald Austin's grandson, and Frosty is listed in the obituary as Donald's wife, but the young man who died was actually her step-grandson. His father was Donald Austin's son, but Frosty was not the mother. The person on Ancestry doesn't believe that "Frosty" was the UID's legal name, just a nickname, but they have been unable to determine her real name.

Is it possible to share the picture?

Hi, don't think this is relevant but I was searching on Ancestry website, and I found the name Forestine Austin, it was a record of a stillborn girl in 1947, made me think that 'Frosty' may have been a child's version of the name, which then made me think that Frosty may have taken her name from a sibling who had passed away, particularly if she wanted to have a new identity? Or maybe she just liked the sound of it.
Hope that one day there is a family member found to return her to.

Hi, don't think this is relevant but I was searching on Ancestry website, and I found the name Forestine Austin, it was a record of a stillborn girl in 1947, made me think that 'Frosty' may have been a child's version of the name, which then made me think that Frosty may have taken her name from a sibling who had passed away, particularly if she wanted to have a new identity? Or maybe she just liked the sound of it.
Hope that one day there is a family member found to return her to.
Austin was her married name, when she first popped up she was using Frosty O'Malley which is a cocktail. Forestine is a gorgeous name though.

If I ever run away and assume a new identity, I'm totally going with Brandy Alexander :D

One of the records on FamilySearch says:
Name: Frosty J Austin
Event Type: Residence
Event Date: 1 Jun 2001
Event Place: Stockton, San Joaquin, California, United States
Event Place (Original): Stockton, California, United States
Phone Number: (209) 464-5388
Previous Residence: Stockton, California 95205
Previous Residence Postal Code: 95205
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1950
Second Previous Residence Place: Stockton, California 95205
2nd Address Date: 16 Apr 1984-15 Nov 2007

So she'd been using the birth date June 24, 1950 and living in California since 1984.

Also, there's a woman named Frosty Jan O'something-something who lives in Oregon and was born in 1949. Can't help but wonder if they crossed paths and this woman was the inspiration for Frosty Doe's name

Interesting note in Namus
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A maiden name of "O'Malley" was mentioned by the decedent. It was thought that the decedent was a "con-woman" and a "fraud." She had told several different stories of her past. She had lived in Stockton, CA for 30+ years. F.B.I. was contacted and positive identification could not be made.

@UnlicensedPI in what state was this annulment filed and is there a particular reason mentioned in the court papers? Also there must have been a marriage on record somehow/somewhere,otherwise you didn't need an annulment...and why in 2013 I wonder.....

The annulment was filed in CA

Old genealogist here.

The paperwork for this court case should/may include the date & location of the attempted marriage. Record of the annulment would be sent to the holder of that marriage record & attached.

Why did Donald bother with an annulment?

Possibly to clarify a perceived common law marriage situation, does California recognize that?
Possibly for financial protection for Donald's children in the event of his death
Possibly for financial protection for "Frosty"and his children. Years ago, a colleague's husband started to show symptoms of a neurological disorder that occurred in his family. He had worked hard & accumulated a reasonable nest egg for his wife & children.

The couple filed for divorce, quietly, agreed that the wife would retain all assets.

You couldn't tell from their lives that anything had changed.

Eventually, he needed to move into a nursing home.

He qualified for every form of state & federal assistance because he had owned only an older model pickup truck for several years....

I'm still not completely sure where this annulment is coming from. Still have some questions left. Was there or wasn't a marriage accomplished, it must be on record somewhere and she had to show some (fraudulent?) identity ....Was Mr. Austin lured in this kind of arrangement, according to his children, and this was all about the heritage.

Interesting note in Namus
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A maiden name of "O'Malley" was mentioned by the decedent. It was thought that the decedent was a "con-woman" and a "fraud." She had told several different stories of her past. She had lived in Stockton, CA for 30+ years. F.B.I. was contacted and positive identification could not be made.
This one just keeps getting more and more interesting. I wonder how many layers there are to this, and her motive for using a false identity. I thought she may have been fleeing an abusive marriage at first, but if she was thought to be a con-woman, maybe not...Either way, I'm totally hooked!

This one just keeps getting more and more interesting. I wonder how many layers there are to this, and her motive for using a false identity. I thought she may have been fleeing an abusive marriage at first, but if she was thought to be a con-woman, maybe not...Either way, I'm totally hooked!

LOL...So am I! I can imagine her in 1970's Vegas...Showgirl, gambler and con-artist.
She intrigued me enough to draw her as a younger showgirl...LOL.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back