CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was only 1 year old and although i have a good memory its not that good. Was this a huge deal back then I would think it would have been having 3 well knowen actors .

I was only 1 year old and although i have a good memory its not that good. Was this a huge deal back then I would think it would have been having 3 well knowen actors .

It was a huge deal, but remember that was 1981. No internet, no 24 hour news channels, no cell phone, no cell phone cameras. No shows like Nancy Grace, JVM etc. You had basically The National Enquirer and People magazine and the nightly news to cover this type of story.

also out of the 3 of them Natalie was the most famous. She was what we called a "Movie Star". And Hollywood covered up and protected their stars.

Looking at DNA where , and on what on I wonder . Surely they must have had suspicions about the bruising at that time. If they all had too much drink to notice her missing and had fallen asleep ,too out of it etc, then this would surely have been mentioned that they woke up and noticed her missing , but that does not seem to be the case. A lot has been mentioned on the web about bi sexuality in at least RW case . Were they the only three on the boat and the Skipper that night ,odd if that is the case or was there someone else and this is where new evidence is coming from.

I wonder what evidence they could possibly find on the yacht, 30 years later? Could there be blood evidence after 30 years years of "swabbing the decks" and cleaning?

I do wonder how she got so many bruises.

Editing to add: I think his statement on the phone when they found her body sounded really fake.

Seeing the captain on NG show last night was shocking!
Seems just when he was starting to say something really important, the background music began playing to indicate a time for a commercial break :banghead:

The part where the capt said he wanted to turn on the search light and RW said NO we won't do that. Also NO to any other efforts.... Wow!
What I don't get the capt (being a capt) - he should have said, as capt. of this boat, don't care what you say!

Was the capt afraid of RW, after all RW is a big fellow! Also don't get why the capt said let's call the restaurant instead of the coast guard???

Is the capt culpable?

Seeing the captain on NG show last night was shocking!
Seems just when he was starting to say something really important, the background music began playing to indicate a time for a commercial break :banghead:

The part where the capt said he wanted to turn on the search light and RW said NO we won't do that. Also NO to any other efforts.... Wow!
What I don't get the capt (being a capt) - he should have said, as capt. of this boat, don't care what you say!

Was the capt afraid of RW, after all RW is a big fellow! Also don't get why the capt said let's call the restaurant instead of the coast guard???

Is the capt culpable?

bolded by me.

RW is not a physically big fellow. I've seen him at an airport and he is extremely short...I'd say 5'3" or 5'4". I was surprised. Actors always seem "bigger than life" on the screen.

Natalie must have been tiny, since he appeared taller than her when they were standing side by side. Or else he had lifts in his shoes.

bolded by me.

RW is not a physically big fellow. I've seen him at an airport and he is extremely short...I'd say 5'3" or 5'4". I was surprised. Actors always seem "bigger than life" on the screen.

Natalie must have been tiny, since he appeared taller than her when they were standing side by side. Or else he had lifts in his shoes.

All the sites I searched led show him as:
Height
5' 11" (1.80 m)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001822/bio

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...oA?p=robert wagner hieght&fr2=sb-top&fr=moz35

Natalie shows up as 5'1"
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...oA?p=natalie wood hieght&fr2=sb-top&fr=moz35

Hmmm....I believe you did research this, OldSteve, and I wasn't trying to be critical. It's possible I am wrong but I remember being astounded that he was so short--I'm 5'4" and he looked shorter than me. I think that some actors fudge on their height just like some people fudge on their age or weight, because it makes them feel better or they want to think that their dimensions are what they would like them to be.

I'm thinking about pictures of them together and he doesn't appear to be that much taller than her. Take a look at this link and scroll down to the picture of them standing together. He doesn't look 10 inches taller than her. http://www.pamil-visions.net/robert-wagner-natalie-wood-case/212870/
Of course, we don't see what they are wearing on their feet in that picture, but I doubt she is wearing spike heels given the sporty type of clothing they have on.

Here's another picture that does show their feet. Natalie appears to be wearing about 2" heels and Robert is barefoot. She looks just a little shorter than him--hardly shorter at all, imo. http://www.dougiethompson.com/images/robert-wagner-natalie-wood-.jpg

I don't mean to keep hammering this issue, but now I've found pictures where he appears to be quite a bit taller than her, so who knows....of course, "lifts" can do wonders....look at the pictures in this link. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-Lana-reveals-Robert-Wagner-left-drown.html

The autopsy gives her height as 64" which is 5'4". http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/untitled.pdf

I thought I read Lana said that Natalie told her she caught him with another guy and that is why they broke up after three years of marriage but he said he was going to get some therapy. Then they remarried in 1972. There was speculation she caught him again on the boat. I can't see a leopard is going to change his spots with therapy. So did he feel his reputation was at threat, he seemed callous in not searching for her, did she threaten what she might divulge. Would she really try to leave in the boat in her nightgown and slippers afraid of water or had she reached a point where she had no option or was she dead when she left the boat. The only bit of information that seems to be at the forefront is that RW asked her if she wanted to sleep with CW. This could be some way from the truth and this information given to deter from the real truth. I hope they find out more about this case. At the time it was a bit like the sudden loss of Diana, not fully believable. Whatever ,she must have had some feelings for him to get married again, perhaps more than he had for her. People like this though are usually well protected so will the truth out.

I thought I read Lana said that Natalie told her she caught him with another guy and that is why they broke up after three years of marriage but he said he was going to get some therapy. Then they remarried in 1972. There was speculation she caught him again on the boat. I can't see a leopard is going to change his spots with therapy. So did he feel his reputation was at threat, he seemed callous in not searching for her, did she threaten what she might divulge. Would she really try to leave in the boat in her nightgown and slippers afraid of water or had she reached a point where she had no option or was she dead when she left the boat. The only bit of information that seems to be at the forefront is that RW asked her if she wanted to sleep with CW. This could be some way from the truth and this information given to deter from the real truth. I hope they find out more about this case. At the time it was a bit like the sudden loss of Diana, not fully believable. Whatever ,she must have had some feelings for him to get married again, perhaps more than he had for her. People like this though are usually well protected so will the truth out.

bolded by me.

KINGFISHER, this may be so. I had the feeling that something like this might have been going on on the yacht...maybe even a threesome, or something. They all "took a nap after lunch" on the yacht, according to his accounting. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ath-Robert-Wagner-night-wife-disappeared.html
Sounds a little uh, well, like a euphemism for what really happened?

Just watched NG taped from yesterday. Very interesting and suspicious that RW wanted to move the boat the night before in bad weather to an area that was more secluded where there was only one restaurant. To me this sounds premeditated. Natalie and the captain stayed at a hotel in Avalon the night before because as the captain said, Natalie did not want to be in the boat when they were moving it. Were they docked at the time she went overboard?

I am a big RW fan. I loved Hart to Hart and have the collection of DVDs. So it is hard to accept but I really don't think this was an accident at all! I believe he planned to kill her the night before! So sad and how terrifying for Natalie who was so petrified of the dark ocean water. She could have been clinging to the dingy for a long time before her death.

I apologize if this has already been posted but it is a fascinating read:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ath-Robert-Wagner-night-wife-disappeared.html

It's from Robert Wagner's book, and it is about his relationship with NW and his version of what happened the night of her death.

I will always remember when I was a little girl, we visited Universal Studios. On the tour, you could go into a bungalow they claimed was Robert Wagner & NW's dressing room. Even then, I was mesmerized.

Interesting link, thanks, jstwondering!

Did you notice that RW says "the coroner said she had drunk 8 or 9 glasses of wine". Why is he quoting the coroner--he was there-- couldn't he say himself what he saw, how much she drank that night? Seems like there is a disconnect here.:waitasec:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ath-Robert-Wagner-night-wife-disappeared.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephNTexas
Back