CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been engaged in the field of clinical research related to ocular disease. (30years +) Working with the blind/legally blind

I look at the population of my study patients and shake my head, wondering how many of them have run into someone while struggling to navigate this crazy world. (Heck! I have inadvertently bumped into pedestrians myself)

I guess I’m grateful none of my patients (and their families) have encountered someone whose first inclination was to shoot out of fear.

So true, and most of them hate to use a cane! I taught blind rehabilitation for decades.

He viewed the video. It's not always clear what happens, even if there is a video, because you might have to view multiple videos from different angles. In this case so far we have been told there is only one security video and it might not even show the whole thing.
<modsnip - link and quote are not from MSM>
So you're saying that Galipo only viewed one possibly unclear video and that explains why he's uncertain of any exchange between the officer and French along with the obvious conflict of a push vs a slap.

If the video is that unclear maybe he should have waited to see more video if any is available or take into consideration eye witness accounts before making his claims that the shooting was unjustified.

Obviously his job is to serve his clients over every other concern. He is biased.

I'm waiting for more information to make up my own mind about this case. JMO

Maybe everyone needs to wear shirts with slogans...

"Don't shoot me, I am disabled"

"Don't push me, I have a gun".

Seriously, I worked with enough Autistic kids, and adults to know that they don't always have the best social skills, even with constant teaching. And they don't always listen or pay attention. Now, Mr. French may not be autistic, but he may have similar problems.

I can see how he may have been focused on the Teriyaki chicken, a bit impatient, and pushed SS, even inadvertently, he was quite large.

SS, knocked over, because he didn't notice Mr. French, and reacts to the push. I am still going with he should have done an assessment before guns blazing. He is at Costco on Saturday morning, not in a dark alley.

This is what confounds me. Why would anyone think that they need to shoot someone after being knocked to the ground? I mean even if you were intentionally knocked to the ground, why would "shoot several times" be your reaction? That's just not logical. It makes no sense to me.

I have a teenage daughter who refused to wear a jacket today. I had to actually put it on her myself. She was tossing her arms around and all pissed off.

A few minutes later a lady smacked my back to tell me my friend was hollering at me. When I spun around I was very defensive but I didn't immediately punch her in the face. I actually thought about this case right then and there.

I am very concerned that my daughter might accidentally knock someone over one day. Fortunately she has a fairly visible disability, but still... that doesn't always matter.

I have been engaged in the field of clinical research related to ocular disease. (30years +) Working with the blind/legally blind

I look at the population of my study patients and shake my head, wondering how many of them have run into someone while struggling to navigate this crazy world. (Heck! I have inadvertently bumped into pedestrians myself)

I guess I’m grateful none of my patients (and their families) have encountered someone whose first inclination was to shoot out of fear.

I agree. I have several friends who've adopted blind children. They absolutely amaze me! The way they use echolocation is absolutely amazing. They can tell when an obstacle is coming up just by clapping their hands. Some use canes, some simply break their canes. All are doing amazingly well and absolutely blow my mind. All of them I'm sure have run into someone, generally if they moved quickly into their space.

So you're saying that Galipo only viewed one possibly unclear video and that explains why he's uncertain of any exchange between the officer and French along with the obvious conflict of a push vs a slap.

If the video is that unclear maybe he should have waited to see more video if any is available or take into consideration eye witness accounts before making his claims that the shooting was unjustified.

Obviously his job is to serve his clients over every other concern. He is biased.

I'm waiting for more information to make up my own mind about this case. JMO

It has been reported that there is only one security video from Costco available. Thus I don't think know he could have waited to see, he saw what is available.

Last edited:
I provided the link to the article that clearly states he viewed the security video. Unfortunately only one security video is there and it might not show the whole encounter. So not sure what video he could have waited to see.
There could be cell phone video from bystanders.

This lawyer knows what he is doing. Found an article about one of the previous cases he was involved in. He used security video available in that case to dispute the police account.
"A federal court jury has awarded $33.5 million in damages to the parents of a man who was fatally shot by a Southern California sheriff's deputy in November 2015."
Jury Awards $33.5M to Parents of Man Killed by Deputy

My guess most were running for their lives when officer started shooting, not making videos.
You guess?

That why I'm waiting for more information. I'm not willing to base any conclusions on this case on guess's. JMO

From your link mickey:

“Police shootings typically split reader opinion fairly evenly. Often in the immediate aftermath they draw letters from people angered by them, then over time prompt other readers to express views more sympathetic to the officers. The tragedy at the Costco in Corona on June 14 isn’t one of those shootings.”

“I point this out because we’ve received a few inquiries from readers wondering why all but one of the letters published so far have been critical of the off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer who killed 32-year-old Kenneth French and wounded his parents after an altercation with the intellectually disabled French. As of this writing, that letter, from a retired LAPD captain, was one of only two we’ve received suggesting that the shooting may have been justified.”

From your link mickey:

“Police shootings typically split reader opinion fairly evenly. Often in the immediate aftermath they draw letters from people angered by them, then over time prompt other readers to express views more sympathetic to the officers. The tragedy at the Costco in Corona on June 14 isn’t one of those shootings.”

“I point this out because we’ve received a few inquiries from readers wondering why all but one of the letters published so far have been critical of the off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer who killed 32-year-old Kenneth French and wounded his parents after an altercation with the intellectually disabled French. As of this writing, that letter, from a retired LAPD captain, was one of only two we’ve received suggesting that the shooting may have been justified.”

In contrast to this snippet...Inner Circle News | City of Corona
"Investigation has confirmed an off-duty Los Angeles Police Department Officer was shopping at Costco with his family. Without provocation, a male unknown to the officer’s family assaulted the officer while the officer was holding his young child. This attack resulted in the officer firing his weapon, striking the male and two of the male's family members. The family members are being treated at local hospitals and are in critical condition. The off duty officer was transported to a local hospital, where he was treated and released. The off duty officer’s child was not injured during this incident. The Riverside County Coroners Office has identified the deceased male as 32 year-old Kenneth French from Riverside."

There is no middle ground in the reporting of this situation.

We aren't in court sitting on his jury. I have no problem with guessing on what happened based on what information is available.
I'm going to guess that more information is currently available and will be in the future that will help explain what happened from multiple sources that Galipo hasn't had access to yet.

There has to be a large number of eyewitness statements to review along with the Coroners report which will give us a more detailed and complete idea of what happened.

I'm not going to use the lawyers statements to come to a conclusion this early in the case. JMO

By the way, in case anyone was taking too seriously the story that Mr. French had schizophrenia, another family member is quoted in the LA Times today, saying that he showed “behaviors of a functioning autistic adult.”

Costco shooting is worst nightmare for families of developmentally disabled children
What does a "functioning automatic adult" mean in this case? I can't read any LA Times articles because they are behind a pay wall.

Thanks.

It looks like spellcheck struck again. The post has been edited.

Thanks for catching that. Confounded autocorrect! Should have been: “behaviors of a functioning autistic adult”—which still raises many questions.
One question I have is this. Is this the relatives diagnosis or a professional one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela