CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is French’s mental deficiency being stated as ‘fact’. That info came from a family members FB. He wasn’t too deficient to attend college ‍♀️

KFI AM640 reported:
"According to the officer's attorney, David Winslow, the officer briefly lost consciousness, and when he awoke, he was on the ground and his 18- month-old son was next to him screaming."

LAPD Confirms Identity Of Officer In Corona Costco Shooting

So I guess this means the child was no longer in the cop's arms when the cop started shooting.

I cannot believe that as a country we have gotten to a point where something like this is in ANY WAY justified. I think the mere fact that a gun would even be introduced into a situation like this to begin with, is bad enough. It further illustrates how this Never should have happened, as there were other options. It would have been a scary enough situation for all involved, including everyone in the store at that moment, if the Killer had pulled out his gun and merely pointed it at the victim. He could have said..."Don't Move, I'm A Policeman." I still think that would be an overreaction, but at least it probably wouldn't have resulted in 1 or 2 Dead, and another seriously wounded.

Instead he started blasting away. Yeah, even pulling out a gun seems reactive to being shoved/slapped, but what he did was Homicide, pure and simple.

Why is French’s mental deficiency being stated as ‘fact’. That info came from a family members FB. He wasn’t too deficient to attend college ‍♀️
His condition deteriorated in recent years. Yes, he was at some point able to attend the University, and post on social media. But apparently in recent years his condition deteriorated to the point he no longer even spoke. As to why is it being stated as a fact? Because it seems pretty clear that it's true.

I cannot believe that as a country we have gotten to a point where something like this is in ANY WAY justified. I think the mere fact that a gun would even be introduced into a situation like this to begin with, is bad enough. It further illustrates how this Never should have happened, as there were other options. It would have been a scary enough situation for all involved, including everyone in the store at that moment, if the Killer had pulled out his gun and merely pointed it at the victim. He could have said..."Don't Move, I'm A Policeman." I still think that would be an overreaction, but at least it probably wouldn't have resulted in 1 or 2 Dead, and another seriously wounded.

Instead he started blasting away. Yeah, even pulling out a gun seems reactive to being shoved/slapped, but what he did was Homicide, pure and simple.

I agree. But Sanchez was definitely not treated like an out of control, crazed gunman. He was not arrested. That, in and of itself, speaks volumes to me.

Sanchez was treated as though this shooting occurred while he was "on duty", even though he was off duty. Sanchez is, even now, receiving "royal" treatment, with being given leave with pay, same as if he had been "on duty" when he shot Mr. French.

That is the problem.

I agree. But Sanchez was definitely not treated like an out of control, crazed gunman. He was not arrested. That, in and of itself, speaks volumes to me.

Sanchez was treated as though this shooting occurred while he was "on duty", even though he was off duty. Sanchez is, even now, receiving "royal" treatment, with being given leave with pay, same as if he had been "on duty" when he shot Mr. French.

That is the problem.

Just like Justine's killer and Botham's killer...

Just like Justine's killer and Botham's killer...

I have started researching "Off duty officer involved shootings". And it is staggering, the sheer number is far more than I thought occurred. The shooting of Justine Damond would not be in the numbers, at least Noor was actually on the job, in uniform, when that incident occurred.

There is a problem here, with so many off duty officer involved shootings, it is not making our community safer, if you ask me.

Last edited:
I have started researching "Off duty officer involved shootings". And it is staggering, the sheer number is far more than I thought occurred. The shooting of Justine Damond would not be in the numbers, at least Noor was actually on the job, in uniform, when that incident occurred.

There is a problem here, with so many off duty officer involved shootings, it is not making our community safer, if you ask me.
You seem to imply that the majority of these shootings are found to be unjustified.

Can you provide a link that shows that please.

Attorney Dale Galipo said he didn’t know if there was any exchange between the officer and Kenneth French before the violence at the store in Corona, east of Los Angeles.

“I would hardly characterize it as an attack,” Galipo told The Associated Press, describing it as an “open-handed push or slap” to the policeman’s back. “It certainly does not justify killing someone.”
Galipo say's he didn't know if there was any exchange between the officer and French. If he did in fact watch the security video he would know the answer to that wouldn't he?

A push and a slap are two very different acts IMO. I find it hard to believe a slap to the back would send the officer to the ground. If Galipo watched the video it would be clear to him what happened. JMO

Attorney: Man killed at Costco was mentally ill, off meds

You seem to imply that the majority of these shootings are found to be unjustified.

Can you provide a link that shows that please.

I am not implying anything, just that there are many, off duty police officer shootings, and it merits review.

These need to be evaluated, because it seems like they are all treated the same as if an officer was in uniform.

Just look at this officer in particular- He has been on the job seven years and this is at least the second time he has been involved in a case where unarmed civilians were shot.

http://da.lacounty.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/JSID_OIS_Carranza, Hernandez.pdf

DA: No charges against LAPD officers in shooting of newspaper carriers during Dorner manhunt – Daily Breeze

I am not implying anything, just that there are many, off duty police officer shootings, and it merits review.

These need to be evaluated, because it seems like they are all treated the same as if an officer was in uniform.
Agree totally mickey. The increase in questionable on-duty and off-duty officer involved shootings has been concerning to me of course but always a comfortable distance away. This one is in my backyard. I am extremely familiar with that area. I used to live very close to that Costco, it is one I go to sometimes now (I live equidistant between 2) and my son lives in Corona. To go that way I would drive down a street that borders the French's neigborhood. Paola works for the city I live closest to (5 mins away). It is no longer a white cop black victim thing either. This was hispanic on indian. This feels like a common place occurance to me now. It is everywhere.

Just look at this officer in particular- He has been on the job seven years and this is at least the second time he has been involved in a case where unarmed civilians were shot.

DA: No charges against LAPD officers in shooting of newspaper carriers during Dorner manhunt – Daily Breeze
I don’t see his name (SS) in either of these reports. Did I miss his name (SS) in the reports you included? If so, could you reference the page numbers? Thanks!

Its how cops are trained these days. They are anticipating the worst possible scenario. They operate largely out of fear. Think about when someone cuts you off n traffic or surprises you, your first reaction is shock and fear, next you become angry and lash out or want to. The next time this happens pay attention to how your body reacts to this. Google GILEE, it could be quite an eye opener, for some at least..

A: these are two reports of the same incident. (Horrendous incident—I’m not trying to downplay it.)

B: he was not one of the ones doing the shooting.

Its how cops are trained these days. They are anticipating the worst possible scenario. They operate largely out of fear. Think about when someone cuts you off n traffic or surprises you, your first reaction is shock and fear, next you become angry and lash out or want to. The next time this happens pay attention to how your body reacts to this. Google GILEE, it could be quite an eye opener, for some at least..

I actually think that it is the applicants and hiring qualifications. The financial criteria has been waived. Being able to manage finances is an issue related to impulse control, one thing that should be looked at more critically. IMO.

Education has also been given a pass. GED used to be Tier III, now, it is, "Pass the Physical", we can waive everything else, including criminal issues. The issues are adjudicated, but it lets applicants pass screening criteria that used to be more rigorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela