CA - Orange County - Multiple people shot at bar in Trabuco Canyon area

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Jinkasaurus

Reaction score
Multiple people are dead and several people were shot Wednesday night at a bar in the Trabuco Canyon area of Orange County, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department told ABC News.

At least nine people were shot, a representative for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

The incident happened around 7:30 p.m. PT at Cook's Corner, a popular biker's bar located on Santiago Canyon Road in Trabuco Canyon, in South Orange County, California, according to the OC Sheriff's watch commander.

Live video coverage from ABC7 - please be mindful as this video has not been edited and there are victims in the parking lot. I am surprised they are showing that.

Live video coverage from ABC7 - please be mindful as this video has not been edited and there are victims in the parking lot. I am surprised they are showing that.

That's a lot of emergency vehicles. Wow.

The pilot said Cook's Corner is 'historically a biker bar'.

That's a lot of emergency vehicles. Wow.

The pilot said Cook's Corner is 'historically a biker bar'.
This is my old stomping ground! I’ve gone here since I was a toddler. It’s a place that various people go to, from the area, bikers as well as bicyclists and hikers. Families in Saturdays.
I used to sing blue grass out in the back with some of the people who would come to pick. They have live bands inside. One of my brothers is a biker and we used to ride out there a lot.

But I haven’t been in a long time.

There are many kinds of biker bars. Some of them are the rough-and-tumble variety frequented by people like the Hell's Angels, and others simply have a clientele who like to ride motorcycles.
Yeah. I would say this is more the latter. Hells Angels do go there and various other groups. But everyone goes there. It’s close to Modjeska Canyon, O’Neill Park and Whiting Ranch. Silverado canyon isn’t too far away either. People drive out to those places all the time and often stop at Cook’s.
This is the only bar right on the long canyon road which goes through all
Those places I mentioned. Santiago Canyon Road. (A winery did open up down the road though).

They serve food there. Tacos. Hamburgers. Nachos. Lots of people come on the weekends and during the week they have special nights. Like bands playing. Taco Tuesday. That kind of stuff. People in the area go there to hang out.

I’ve never known violence there like this.

A witness told NBC4 that the shooter and his wife were going through a divorce. The witness said she was sitting next to the wife when the gunman used two guns to shoot at his spouse multiple times.

Three law enforcement sources told NBC4 that the gunman was also a law enforcement officer, though it was not immediately clear which agency he worked for or what his status as an officer was.

This article includes a link to what the inside looked like tonight before the band played:

A witness told NBC4 that the shooter and his wife were going through a divorce. The witness said she was sitting next to the wife when the gunman used two guns to shoot at his spouse multiple times.

Three law enforcement sources told NBC4 that the gunman was also a law enforcement officer, though it was not immediately clear which agency he worked for or what his status as an officer was.
Wow. Just crazy.

Again. Wow.

It's unclear whether he was targeting his current wife or ex-wife.

However, news reports are stating his ex-wife survived a gunshot wound to the face.

A witness stated he brought 2 firearms with him.

OC mass shooter went to truck “to reload and bring more guns,” witness says.
That is when LE shot the suspect

It's so senseless.

There are many kinds of biker bars. Some of them are the rough-and-tumble variety frequented by people like the Hell's Angels, and others simply have a clientele who like to ride motorcycles.
The shooter was identified as John Snowling, who retired as a sergeant from the Ventura Police Department in 2014, the Orange County District Attorney's Office said.
Suspect in California bar shooting that left 3 dead was targeting his wife, sources say

A little bit about Cook's Corner

I read in an article linked upthread that the bar was frequented by off duty and former law enforcement offices who rode. Also suburban weekend "bikers" who don't typically fit the old notion of a motorcycle gang or club member.

Law enforcement sources said Snowling's estranged wife, Marie Snowling, survived being shot and is hospitalized. It was unclear whether Snowling followed her to the bar before opening fire on the crowd, they said.

On Thursday morning, Orange County sheriff's deputies were seen serving a search warrant at Snowling's address in Camarillo.

Snowling worked for the Ventura Police Department from 1986 to 2014, rising to the rank of sergeant, according to a department spokesman. He served as the president of the city’s police union in 2008 and 2009, records show.

In December 2022, Marie Snowling filed for divorce. A hearing was scheduled for later this year, records show.
Orange County mass shooter identified as ex-cop targeting estranged wife, sources say

Law enforcement sources said Snowling's estranged wife, Marie Snowling, survived being shot and is hospitalized. It was unclear whether Snowling followed her to the bar before opening fire on the crowd, they said.

On Thursday morning, Orange County sheriff's deputies were seen serving a search warrant at Snowling's address in Camarillo.

Snowling worked for the Ventura Police Department from 1986 to 2014, rising to the rank of sergeant, according to a department spokesman. He served as the president of the city’s police union in 2008 and 2009, records show.

In December 2022, Marie Snowling filed for divorce. A hearing was scheduled for later this year, records show.
Orange County mass shooter identified as ex-cop targeting estranged wife, sources say
Should have read your post before I posted. SMH.

"Investigators believe Snowling was targeting his estranged wife, who was injured in the mass shooting, sources told ABC News."
It's tragic that he was targeting her because she was leaving him? Then, why shoot everyone else? I just don't understand why or how someone could serve their community for nearly 30 years and then do something like this? It goes against everything he would have been trained to do. And I doubt many police officers do it for the pay so at some point he wanted to serve and protect his community.. then to turn out to do something like this? Unbelievable. :(

This one just joined the "rough and tumble" category, IMO.

I assume that there's a bigger story involving the wife, and her new interests. I also assume that the shooter is an extraordinarily difficult and angry person, probably homicidal toward anyone who might "take away" his wife or offer her protection (which a biker club would most likely do). Having found her own security detail, perhaps, her husband goes nuts because his desire to kill her is so strong.

It's the possessiveness and the desire to kill the previously "loved" object that mystifies me, not the fact that this man decided to solve this by killing. It seems obvious to me that he hoped to kill her (and envisioned the biker/bar inhabitants as enemies, as surely they would be - if he opened fire in a bar).

This particular bar is one of those "mixed use" biker bars and is a tourist attraction, more or less. It advertises itself as the "oldest biker bar" in California and from its special events, it's clear it's trying to bring in clientele that isn't just "outlaw bike clubs." However, the lines between various of "biker groups" are not drawn in indelible ink. There are biker groups that consist entirely of LEO's, for example (and they do sometimes get into fights or troubles in these bars).

IMO. How the shooter knew his estranged wife was there is an interesting question. Did he put a tracker on her car? Did she post on social media? Did she call him up and tell him she was dating a biker? I assume New Guy was a biker, but was he one of the LE bikers mentioned upthread as frequenting this place? Would love to know more.

Ventura and Camarillo LE have their own local motorcycle LEO groups - and there's a similar club that they frequent up north of Ojai. Similar habitat, in other words. Did the Shooter know several of these people?

The wood-paneled bar has, since the 1970s, been a popular stop for motorcyclists driving through the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains. Its clientele has included gang affiliates, retirees and law enforcement officers. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the actor and former California governor, has been a patron, and in 2006 he held a reception at Cook’s Corner, arriving on a motorcycle.

The bar, which sits on 12 acres of land, has also hosted weddings, charity events and funeral services.
Gunman Kills 3 at Biker Bar in California, Then Dies in Standoff

Undersheriff Jeff Hallock described the establishment as “a beloved part” of the community.

Law Officer managing editor Jim McNeff lived a few miles from Cook’s Corner for nearly 25 years before relocating to another state.

“Despite the biker ambiance, you would typically feel pretty safe since many off-duty cops make it a destination ride,” McNeff said. “That certainly was not the case Wednesday night.”
Retired police sergeant allegedly spurs shooting at biker bar leaving 4 dead, including gunman

IMO. How the shooter knew his estranged wife was there is an interesting question.

Ventura and Camarillo LE have their own local motorcycle LEO groups - and there's a similar club that they frequent up north of Ojai. Similar habitat, in other words. Did the Shooter know several of these people?
I think your second observation may give a possible answer to your question.

As you implied, there is a finite number of bars where bikers- either 1% or 'riding club' like to go when in regalia. In my say, 50% of the vast DFW metroplex, there are about:

- two bars popular with riding clubs
- One bar with multi generational 1% appeal (riding clubs go too, but 1%'ers are usually there and this turns some off.)
- One "mixed use" sports bar with good food that attracts bikers only for big name boxing or when "Da' 'Boyz" are playing.

So.... if I wanted to find a LE affiliated biker that I knew lived in the area and was with his or her club that day- but not on a formal "ride" to the other side of DFW, I would go to the 2 area 'riding club' bars first, then the 1% bar, then the sports bar.

All four are with 15-18 miles maximum of each other. In relatively light DFW traffic, I could visit all of them, loiter and wait in the course of a very brief afternoon or early evening.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camillionaire