Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, there are no official LE sources who have said this that I have seen. This was said by one reporter that may or may not have been quoting a member of the community who is known to not be terribly reliable and exaggerates things.
Source or link ?
Just re. what was said by the reporter and community member-- no names needed.
Tia.

If LE thinks the kids left on foot, have their actions after the first day been in accordance with that belief? I'm honestly asking.
IMO they don't have video of the boys walking alone outside, because if they did, why would they not release that information?
bbm
Good point !
Maybe LE do have such video footage ... but choose not to release it, because it shows them walking with someone that LE don't want to tip off ?

I'm on the fence if LE think they left on foot from the house-- but if the SAR dogs found nothing that's problematic.
And SAR dogs would differentiate between the scents of the boys vs the older kids.
MOO.

Last edited:
Yes, the Nixle advisory stated the boys wondered off, because that is what the parents stated.

What's interesting is the same day the Nixle was issued, CCPD & the FBI brought in lights and began digging in the back yard of the home at night. Make of that what you will.
Source or link ?
Just re. what was said by the reporter and community member-- no names needed.
Tia.

Per the reporter, in the video, she said police said this.... though we've seen no other source to back this up, at least none that I have found. There is a community member who keeps telling people that "cadaver dogs" went in the house, but he is generally seen as unreliable because if the way he does things.

Thing is, the barrier tape is gone and it doesn't appear to be an active scene of any kind right now. It's just... totally quiet.

See: FBI interviewing adoptive parents of missing California City boys | KGET 17

Per the reporter, in the video, she said police said this.... though we've seen no other source to back this up, at least none that I have found. There is a community member who keeps telling people that "cadaver dogs" went in the house, but he is generally seen as unreliable because if the way he does things.

Thing is, the barrier tape is gone and it doesn't appear to be an active scene of any kind right now. It's just... totally quiet.

See: FBI interviewing adoptive parents of missing California City boys | KGET 17

What do you make of BPD plain clothes (detectives) being at the house yesterday? Jurisdictionally speaking, I wouldn't think it odd if KCSO were there. But BPD sort of leads me to believe things are being investigated in Bakersfield, beyond just ensuring the bio-family is not involved in the disappearance, MOO.

RSBM
8 kids here, and yes, it's not only common it's the only way it's ever been. My adult kids who have children of their own, do the exact same. Older grands have stayed over at my place where the smallies stay home.

Nothing at all unusual about it for me.
My parents would never take all 4 of mine at once when they were young. Especially since they were all close in age, 2 yrs max apart. And she was a preschool teacher by career!

What do you make of BPD plain clothes (detectives) being at the house yesterday? Jurisdictionally speaking, I wouldn't think it odd if KCSO were there. But BPD sort of leads me to believe things are being investigated in Bakersfield, beyond just ensuring the bio-family is not involved in the disappearance, MOO.

Apologies if this is already well established. Bio family from Bakersfield?

Amateur opinion and speculation

JMO, I'm not taking the dogs rumor very seriously, because I assume Orson and Orrin played regularly in their own backyard. Why wouldn't they?
Agreed, the boy's scent would've been in the back yard.

I think the other poster meant there was no scent found outside of the back yard; which might mean the boys didn't leave on foot ?
But LE haven't mentioned abduction, so I'm assuming that's not what happened ?
This is a puzzler.
And so sad !
Only 3 and 4 years old.
It's not like they're hiding out somewhere.

I recall the case of the somewhat older girl who's family said she ran away and even her bio mom said she ran away herself at that age across two states, iirc ?
The young girl was found dead at her stepmom's hands, in the shed behind their home. :(
Imo.

bbm
Hm, wonder if they were allowed in, or had to show up with a search warrant ?
Wow.
Imo.

bbm
Hm, wonder if they were allowed in, or had to show up with a search warrant ?
Wow.
Imo.
A search warrant has been served and evidence collected from the home of Trezol and Jacqueline West, the couple who adopted Orrin and Orson West in April 2019, said California City police Lt. Jesse Hightower. The couple is cooperating and at this point no one has been ruled out regarding the boys’ disappearance, he said, adding that some items need to be forensically examined.

California City police have reached out to several different agencies for assistance due to the nature of the investigation, Hightower said. Police have also contacted the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

The parents went willingly with officers at 3:45 p.m. after a police cruiser entered their driveway, police said. They were not handcuffed as they were taken in for questioning.

Police served the warrant just after 6 p.m. Tuesday. Officers left the house carrying several brown bags and a large duffel bag. The parents’ white van was towed.
FBI interviewing adoptive parents of missing California City boys | KGET 17

Thanks for the link !
There's a lot to unpack in the article.

Hm...
A search warrant was issued.
Those have to be signed off by a judge and iirc, require probable cause.
I'm a bit curious what was taken as evidence and why the van had to be towed ?
If the boys wandered off-- the van should not have to be taken in at all.
Imo.

"...The FBI is interviewing the adoptive parents of two California City boys, ages 3 and 4, who have been missing since Monday evening, according to investigators.
A search warrant has been served and evidence collected from the home of Trezol and Jacqueline West ..... The parents’ white van was towed ..."

"...The boys’ adoptive father, who didn’t give his name..."
I have to wonder if the bio family have caused issues and that's why the adoptive dad didn't want to reveal his identity ?
It would be good if the boys were with the bio family because then they'd be in the care of someone even if hidden -- and not out in the wilderness.

“I hope to find these babies alive,” said Jennifer Wood, another volunteer. “I want them found and taken some place where they’re safe.
Re. the bolded : Why ? Weren't they already safe where they lived, until they wandered off ? A mistake that can happen to the most watchful of parents.

What an odd thing to say.
MOO

Sorry the fonts are all over the place.

Last edited:
A search warrant has been served and evidence collected from the home of Trezol and Jacqueline West, the couple who adopted Orrin and Orson West in April 2019, said California City police Lt. Jesse Hightower. The couple is cooperating and at this point no one has been ruled out regarding the boys’ disappearance, he said, adding that some items need to be forensically examined.

California City police have reached out to several different agencies for assistance due to the nature of the investigation, Hightower said. Police have also contacted the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

The parents went willingly with officers at 3:45 p.m. after a police cruiser entered their driveway, police said. They were not handcuffed as they were taken in for questioning.

Police served the warrant just after 6 p.m. Tuesday. Officers left the house carrying several brown bags and a large duffel bag. The parents’ white van was towed.
BBM on different points.
And the backyard dug up.

Well, kudos to LE for what appears to be a very thorough investigation.
It all sounds very ominous, but there is still a shred of hope that they can be found ensconced away somewhere.

Amateur opinion and speculation

JMO, I'm not taking the dogs rumor very seriously, because I assume Orson and Orrin played regularly in their own backyard. Why wouldn't they?
The dog was on scene and didn't track any scent outside the house. If it tracked it in the back yard it never left the backyard out the gate that the adoptive parents said the boys walked out through. The next night they were digging up the backyard

Thanks, you beat me to it.
The articles are interesting.
Wonder if the phones were confiscated ?

I'd imagine it's not unheard of for the fbi to question the caregivers.
Maybe somewhat unusual, though ?
I think when little Mariah Woods went missing, the fbi weren't called in ?
But they were called in for Elizabeth Smart.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member