Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When very young children go missing and law enforcement are treating it like a case where a child has wandered, they pull out all the stops. Gather in as many volunteers as they can, publicize it far and wide, send out search teams, try and cover as much ground as they can as quickly as they can. They know they have to find that kid(s) as quickly as possible before misadventure, dehydration, etc get the child first.

Doesn't look like they've done that here. The most intensive search has been in the adoptive family's own backyard.

Just an observation, really.
Here is an example. Christmas time last year. LE pulled out all the stops to search multiple days, over 100 acres for missing siblings.
Young brother, sister missing for 2 days recovering in hospital
LE did search hardcore for 24hrs in the West case. But there seemed to be a drop off... perhaps indicating a shift in evidence.

There were several comments made that it was cold there.
I stand exactly the same way when my hands are cold, so it looks pretty normal to me.

jmo
Yes, that could be all it is.

More interesting is the search warrant and the digging done in the back yard.
No large scale searches requested by LE.
The photos provided by the adoptive family appear to be older; since the boys look younger in both pics and if their appearance has changed (hair style or older faces) the public needs to know who to be on the lookout for.
Etc.
Imo.

Here is an example. Christmas time last year. LE pulled out all the stops to search multiple days, over 100 acres for missing siblings.
Young brother, sister missing for 2 days recovering in hospital
LE did search hardcore for 24hrs in the West case. But there seemed to be a drop off... perhaps indicating a shift in evidence.
True.
We don't know what LE were digging for, nor do we know what was removed from the home and why the van needed to be impounded.
This does not look good.
Imo.

True.
We don't know what LE were digging for, nor do we know what was removed from the home and why the van needed to be impounded.
This does not look good.
Imo.

Actually we do know what one item was that was removed from the home - a duffel bag.

Timeline published by KGET on December 24th-
  • Monday, early evening — Orson and Orrin play outside as their adoptive father gathers firewood, according to their adoptive parents. The father, Trevol West, later tells the media he briefly went back inside the house, and when he came out the boys were gone. He says he drove through nearby streets and spoke with neighbors but couldn’t find them.
  • Monday, around 6 p.m. — The boys’ adoptive parents report them missing.
  • Monday, around 8 p.m. — California City police send out a news release that provides a description of the boys but not their names or photographs. That information is released hours later.
  • Monday night — Volunteers and police search areas near where the boys went missing. Police bring K9s to the home. The dogs find the boys’ scent inside the house, but not outdoors.
  • Tuesday, around 9 a.m. — With daylight, volunteers continue the search and spread through the surrounding area. They find nothing.
  • Tuesday afternoon — Police take the adoptive parents in for further questioning.
  • Tuesday night — Armed with a search warrant, investigators go through the home and leave with evidence collected in several brown bags and a duffel bag. The adoptive parents’ van is towed to be searched. Police tell 17 News the FBI is involved and agents questioned the adoptive parents. Police say the parents are cooperating.
  • Wednesday afternoon — The adoptive parents speak with media. Trevol and Jaqueline West say they were told by police Monday to stay in their home during the search. Trevol West explains how the boys went missing, and the couple say they fostered the boys in 2018 then adopted them in 2019. They say they have two other adopted children and two biological children, all of whom have been removed from the home since the investigation began. The couple say their cellphones and other technological devices were seized by police.
  • Wednesday afternoon — Police search the home again.
  • Wednesday night — Investigators work under bright lights set up in the family’s backyard. It’s unclear what, if any, evidence was found
Missing California City boys: What we know | KGET 17

True. I'm not really placing much on their demeanor in that video, given the environment of people demanding they talk, yelling outside their home, etc. I don't care what people say... people aren't obligated to go talk to people loitering outside their home. I care more that LE said they were cooperative, and by all accounts they have been.

There are a few people in town who feel as if they are owed some kind of thanks for looking for these boys. Nobody asked them to. LE only asked for people to be on the lookout for them... not to camp outside the home as they have. I'm no sure how helpful that really is. If I could help, I'd be out in the desert looking for coyote dens. I'd be talking to neighbors with boats (there are a bunch of them) and sheds, anywhere with small, curious spaces boys could crawl into. I wouldn't be chanting outside their home or sending a drone over their backyard to look for chalk. *shrug*
bbm
Wow. People are camped outside the home ?
Odd.
Agreed that doesn't help.
As far as looking for the chalk -- the adoptive dad said they were out playing with chalk so it's natural to wonder why there's no sign of chalk marks on the sidewalk out in the back yard.
It looks like a concerned citizen might want to know, and that's all there is to it.
It's natural for people to be curious about the adoptive parents as the boys went missing on their watch.
Of course there will be speculation.

But a more productive approach would be for people to take the time to search outside-- fanning outwards from the home and especially the back gate that TW said was left open .
Was it normally just closed or did it have a lock on it ?
Was the oldest boy able to unlock it himself--- or was it left open while TW was looking for firewood ?

But again ... agreed with your post (we're on the same page, lol. :) ) -- there's much more practical actions people could take than having a campout in front of someone's front yard whom they do not know.
That's just weird.
I haven't seen any photos or footage of people doing this--- is it recent ?

Unless it's people the family does know, like the bio family.
Which doesn't help as there are less intrusive and legal channels one can follow.
Law abiding actions.
Setting one's tent on someone else's property is usually considered trespassing. :rolleyes:

It sounds from the bio family that they know each other from before, and my first thought was maybe that it was an open adoption, where there is co-parenting or visitations allowed ?
Imo.

Actually we do know what one item was that was removed from the home - a duffel bag.

Timeline published by KGET on December 24th-
  • Monday, early evening — Orson and Orrin play outside as their adoptive father gathers firewood, according to their adoptive parents. The father, Trevol West, later tells the media he briefly went back inside the house, and when he came out the boys were gone. He says he drove through nearby streets and spoke with neighbors but couldn’t find them.
  • Monday, around 6 p.m. — The boys’ adoptive parents report them missing.
  • Monday, around 8 p.m. — California City police send out a news release that provides a description of the boys but not their names or photographs. That information is released hours later.
  • Monday night — Volunteers and police search areas near where the boys went missing. Police bring K9s to the home. The dogs find the boys’ scent inside the house, but not outdoors.
  • Tuesday, around 9 a.m. — With daylight, volunteers continue the search and spread through the surrounding area. They find nothing.
  • Tuesday afternoon — Police take the adoptive parents in for further questioning.
  • Tuesday night — Armed with a search warrant, investigators go through the home and leave with evidence collected in several brown bags and a duffel bag. The adoptive parents’ van is towed to be searched. Police tell 17 News the FBI is involved and agents questioned the adoptive parents. Police say the parents are cooperating.
  • Wednesday afternoon — The adoptive parents speak with media. Trevol and Jaqueline West say they were told by police Monday to stay in their home during the search. Trevol West explains how the boys went missing, and the couple say they fostered the boys in 2018 then adopted them in 2019. They say they have two other adopted children and two biological children, all of whom have been removed from the home since the investigation began. The couple say their cellphones and other technological devices were seized by police.
  • Wednesday afternoon — Police search the home again.
  • Wednesday night — Investigators work under bright lights set up in the family’s backyard. It’s unclear what, if any, evidence was found
Missing California City boys: What we know | KGET 17
I forgot about the duffle bag !
It was on the video @MojaveMave had linked as well.

Thanks for the reminder--- and the great timeline as well !
I don't understand why LE didn't provide the names boys and a photo asap ?
When children that age go missing -- time is of the essence !
In abductions, children according to stats aren't kept alive for very long, sadly.

Although LE do not think the boys were kidnapped.
Digging in people's back yard doesn't indicate that LE think someone took those boys.
Imo.

Bayan Wang 23ABC
MISSING BOYS: Former Bakersfield Police Lieutenant Gary Carruesco says authorities investigating the missing California City boys case are dealing with many factors. With hundreds of miles of desert to search through and more than a dozen convicted sex offenders who live within two miles of the boys' home, Carruesco says authorities have a lot to sort out. No one is completely ruled out as a suspect until the boys are found, not even the adoptive parents, according to Carruesco.

[
But again ... agreed with your post (we're on the same page, lol. :) ) -- there's much more practical actions people could take than having a campout in front of someone's front yard whom they do not know.
That's just weird.
I haven't seen any photos or footage of people doing this--- is it recent ?

Unless it's people the family does know, like the bio family.
Which doesn't help as there are less intrusive and legal channels one can follow.
Law abiding actions.
Setting one's tent on someone else's property is usually considered trespassing. :rolleyes:

RSBM. Just my opinion, but I took the “camping out” comment to mean people were hanging around in front of the house and loitering for long periods of time (and apparently yelling at the family), not actually pitching a tent to camp there. Again, just my opinion.

[

RSBM. Just my opinion, but I took the “camping out” comment to mean people were hanging around in front of the house and loitering for long periods of time (and apparently yelling at the family), not actually pitching a tent to camp there. Again, just my opinion.

Me too. There were no tents. And from what I could tell in a video they were actually standing in the driveway, which is trespassing.

[

I was referring to the post I'd quoted.
That's why I asked if there was photos of such activity.
Loitering is also trespassing.

People who live there are overreacting to this adoptive family; so they (outsiders) need to wait for LE to confirm what they know or at least what they were using jackhammers to dig for.
I think until LE have an update, we know nothing much past the fact that the boys have vanished and LE had a search warrant for the house and back yard.
Imo.

Me too. There were no tents. And from what I could tell in a video they were actually standing in the driveway, which is trespassing.
Which is why I wondered if there were pics.
I think they can stand on the sidewalk but not the driveway.
People are concerned but like I stated there are more productive ways to get involved.
What about looking in the area past the house ?
Where would the boys have walked ?
Kids can walk farther than one would expect !
Yes I realize the SAR dogs didn't pick up a scent past the house, but searching is better than standing in someone's driveway.
That helps no one, and is going to upset the adoptive parents.
That sort of thing.

There are tons of places two small boys can 'hide' in and those people need to start looking and stop harassing.
Let LE do their job-- which they already are !
A search warrant isn't easily procured and a judge has to sign off on it.
Had to be something fairly important to be granted a search and seizure and the digging.
Imo.

There being close-by sex offenders concerns me. It's not really that similar, but it reminds me of the Australian William Tyrrell case. A foster child disappeared into thin air and there is an awful lot of known sex offenders in the area he disappeared. Like a freaky amount; it seems it's an area they're drawn to. Still no trace of him years later. The fact he was a foster child has proven over the years to be a huge red herring.

While their misguided attacks are cringe worthy, they are in agony clearly, they’re enduring layers of pain and outrage at this point.
Imagine your babies taken by the government and handed to someone and THIS happens... you’d be mad at the entire world! Probably for the rest of your life.
Not saying by any means that what they’re doing is right, but from where I’m sitting I see the gray space in this nightmare of a situation.
Moo

A few pictures for perspective of that side gate and the vacant lot next to the home. If you google walk the neighborhood, there are many houses. Surely there is video surveillance at key points which would show a vehicle in the neighborhood. The homes across the street, on Melville, 108th and Georgetown. All key points or "corners" as TW called them speaking about where he drove to look for the boys in his interview.
Google Maps

Attachments

• Side Gate.jpg
    Side Gate.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online