Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if drones will now be allowed in the park for rescue or recovery missions. My goodness, the family had such a struggle to be allowed to search with drones.

IIRC, drones were used by SARS in the first days. I believe drones cannot be used by non-officials in National Parks. Thank goodness. They ruin the park experience and can be dangerous to others. I believe the 49 Palms Area is a huge marine air base....seems unlikely drones would be permitted in that area.

Interesting points in this article: BBM

HUMAN REMAINS FOUND IN JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK

Human remains have been found in the 49 Palms Oasis area of Joshua Tree National Park. On Thursday morning, December 19, park rangers were notified by an organization that during an analysis of photos of the oasis that had been taken last summer, evidence of human remains were seen. The discovery was in a remote, rocky, and steep location away from any trails. On Friday, Joshua Tree National Park law enforcement rangers hiked to the reported location where they found human skeletal remains and personal belongings. No personal identification was found with the remains, which appear to have been in that location for some time. The Park Service and the Sheriff’s Department are investigating the discovering. At this time, neither the identity of the remains nor the manner of death have been determined.

He was looking to take pics of sheep? Big Horn? Probably steep Rocky areas. Have seen them in the distance way up on ledges.But it's been a while since I have gone back through the thread. Maybe mistaken. MOO

He was looking to take pics of sheep? Big Horn? Probably steep Rocky areas. Have seen them in the distance way up on ledges.But it's been a while since I have gone back through the thread. Maybe mistaken. MOO
You are correct. Seems he wanted one last hike, but it's always been mentioned that he wanted to see Big Horn Sheep too and that's one reason he had a camera. Quite possibly he went off trail to get a better view, or perhaps he saw tracks (or even sheep) and followed. My guess has mostly been that he did this and then couldn't find the trail back.

It's very sad, and if these are his remains, what a tough time for his family, even if it would be an ending to their mystery. Such a fine line is fate...and the what if's and if only's.

Skeletal Remains Found In Joshua Tree National Park

jotr-pinto_mountainnps_robb_hannawacker.jpg_450.jpg

Skeletal remains were found in the 49 Palms Oasis area not far from the Pinto Mountains/NPS

Apart from my hinky meter going full on hinky when I hear Canadian friends and family talk about the case,

1.We don't know that Paul drove to the trailhead. We only know his car did.
2. We have only a vague witness report that he was encountered on the trail.
3. We have no corroboration that Paul intended to hike the trail that day. If he was as experienced in the outdoors as his family are claiming, he would not have been on the trail.
4. The equipment and clothing they say he took would not be the right set up for an "experienced" outdoorsperson. There is no corroboration for it.
5. Evidently, no one thought to check video at the hotel, e.g. in the parking lot.
6. SARS was out there quite soon and didn't find anything.
7. Where was the second set of car keys? They only had one?

Yet multiple agencies had reason to believe he did make it to that location.

LE is not required to report on what it has found, only the resources used.

The fact remains, people do get lost, SAR does its' absolute best to find the missing person not from a lack of trying.

Snip

"teams doing technical, ground, helicopter, K-9, and tracking searches. To date, the search has included 20 K-9 units and over 600 searchers putting in more than 6,000 hours"

SEARCH CONTINUES FOR MISSING HIKER AT 49 PALMS OASIS

Snip

"Multiple agencies are involved, including San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department (deputies, detectives, search and rescue, and emergency services), California Rescue Dog Association (CARDA), Nevada SAR, and the National Park Service with personnel from the Investigative Services Branch, Mojave National Preserve, Death Valley National Park, Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, and Joshua Tree National Park"

SEARCHERS SPENT THE WEEKEND LOOKING FOR MAN MISSING IN 49 PALMS CANYON

From August 18th, 2018

Snip

"To date, the search has included 20 K-9 units and over 600 searchers putting in more than 6,000 hours"

SEARCH CONTINUES FOR MISSING HIKER AT 49 PALMS OASIS

From July 18th, 2018

Snip

"His car was found in the parking lot at the trailhead."

SEARCH OPERATIONS SCALED BACK FOR HIKER MISSING IN JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK

And more, this is where he was hiking. Has to be Paul. BBM

"Park rangers hiked to the 49 Palms Oasis area on Friday and found the remains and personal belongings away from any trails. No identification was found with the remains, which appeared to have been in the area "for some time," park staff said."

ETA Anxious to know how he was missed all this time (or these remains were). Of course, don't know exactly where the remains were located and how near to the hiking trail or Oasis.
So the remains were found in the vicinity of the trail, between boulders / rocks? How long before they know who it is, any idea?

So the remains were found in the vicinity of the trail, between boulders / rocks? How long before they know who it is, any idea?
So far, just this:

Human remains found in Joshua Tree National Park, no foul play suspected

The bones had been there for some time, and no foul play was suspected. But the cause of death has yet to be determined, the NPS said. There were personal items near the bones, but no identification.

Police told the Desert Sun that they are in touch with Miller’s family.

“At this time, the decedent’s identity has not been confirmed, and the manner of death is undetermined,” the NPS said. “There are no initial indicators of foul play.”

The discovery is in a remote, rocky, steep location away from any trails.”

I would guess an official confirmation from DNA testing is a few months away. But if any of the items found can be identified by family, then an unofficial confirmation could happen quickly. (all MOO)

IIRC, drones were used by SARS in the first days. I believe drones cannot be used by non-officials in National Parks. Thank goodness. They ruin the park experience and can be dangerous to others. I believe the 49 Palms Area is a huge marine air base....seems unlikely drones would be permitted in that area.

Agreed.

Drones also have a negative impact on wildlife.

the family may initially confirm his personal effects, then DNA or dentals will confirm it.
That is how it works.

They wouldn't base the identity strictly on the items with him. There is also a chance some one could be in possession of his belongings.

I'm guessing they know who it is by now, but need to inform family and go through formalities. While they won't make an official identification based on such things as shoes and shoe size, they will have a pretty good idea.

The area where the body was found is accessible from the trailhead that Paul used, but as I understand it, the body is pretty far from any trail.

They can use dental records more quickly than DNA. It's hard to believe he had no personal items on him, although it's been reported that he liked to hike "light" and rarely took wallet or phone. I would assume they found or will find a camera nearby.

Wow.

Human bones found at Joshua Tree National Park

It is not clear whether the discovery was related to the disappearance of Paul Miller, a 51-year-old Canadian man who was believed to be hiking in the Fortynine Palms Oasis area when he went missing in 2018, according to the Desert Sun.

Really sorry if this is Paul as I was hoping he would be alive somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia