Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the items left with the remains, clothing, camera, water bottle, would indicate that Paul has been found. The verification is for formalities only.

I understand it is a formality. The family statements on the FB page don't sound like they are sure though, which makes me have just a little bit of doubt that these remains are Paul. Or maybe he some lost items like his keys and camera which would have been recognized by his wife.

It’s just so odd he was found so close to where he said he would be when he left that morning and so close to where the searches were. He must have already been incapacitated by the time they were searching for him and calling his name for him not respond to them.

I guess it could be Bill Ewasko, depending on exactly where he was going to be and how far he could have walked, or Barbara Thomas, depending on if that was really where she was with her husband instead of where he said, but my money is on Paul because it’s exactly where he said he would be and to get pics of Big Horn Sheep, I imagine they aren’t on the trail by off the trail. IMO

I understand it is a formality. The family statements on the FB page don't sound like they are sure though, which makes me have just a little bit of doubt that these remains are Paul. Or maybe he some lost items like his keys and camera which would have been recognized by his wife.

I thought they just sounded restrained, like they were holding back until they had official word.

Theoretically it would be possible that someone stole his personal items and then died in that spot, or some other bizarre thing. LE these days generally won't identify someone without a confirmation by dentals fingerprints or DNA.

I thought they just sounded restrained, like they were holding back until they had official word.

Theoretically it would be possible that someone stole his personal items and then died in that spot, or some other bizarre thing. LE these days generally won't identify someone without a confirmation by dentals fingerprints or DNA.
Yeh, after all, we just found out a mother was murdered by her best friend from childhood for her newborn baby, so strange things can happen. Best to wait for official word.

20m (about 60 feet) is as good as a mile in many places out there. Every inch of ground has to be inspected and much of it, away from trails, is pretty rugged.

Always good to wear brightly colored clothing out there.

My thoughts are with his loved ones. I’m convinced it’s him and am reminded how difficult the work of SAR teams is. I’m glad at least there is a known outcome and likely some evidence (from location if nothing else) of what transpired.
Yes! Whoever they've found, search and rescue does a difficult and essential job and we should all be thankful!

So the remains were found in the vicinity of the trail, between boulders / rocks? How long before they know who it is, any idea?
NOT in the vicinity of the trail, per NPS statement: "...away from any trails...."

If it were "between boulders/rocks", it would unlikely be visible by whatever was flying overhead taking photos last summer. 'Cos that's how the remains were located.

IIRC, drones were used by SARS in the first days. I believe drones cannot be used by non-officials in National Parks. Thank goodness. They ruin the park experience and can be dangerous to others. I believe the 49 Palms Area is a huge marine air base....seems unlikely drones would be permitted in that area.
I joined the families search in May for Mr Miller and David Smith, the Park Superintendent who joined us the first day, stated that drones were not used because JTNP had not yet been cleared for their use by higher ups in Washington.
Be that as it may, what environmental impacts do you think 600 searchers, 2 helicopters and 20 ATVs had on the local area? 20 drones would have done scant harm.

I have a place in Joshua Tree. We lose hikers every year because they're not at all prepared for the excessive Summer heat. People are often found close to their cars or not far from trails. Respectfully, suicide can't be ruled out until cause of death has been formalized by the coroner's office. Suicides in National Parks are sadly not uncommon. MOO.

I joined the families search in May for Mr Miller and David Smith, the Park Superintendent who joined us the first day, stated that drones were not used because JTNP had not yet been cleared for their use by higher ups in Washington.
Be that as it may, what environmental impacts do you think 600 searchers, 2 helicopters and 20 ATVs had on the local area? 20 drones would have done scant harm.
Thank you so much for everything you have done for the search and recovery of Paul Miller!

NOT in the vicinity of the trail, per NPS statement: "...away from any trails...."

If it were "between boulders/rocks", it would unlikely be visible by whatever was flying overhead taking photos last summer. 'Cos that's how the remains were located.

I don't believe that there was anything flying around looking for Mr. Miller last summer. From what I understand, drones had only been approved for searching a month ago, in November. Drones took photos for three days, looking specifically in blind spots. Then those thousands of photos were examined and Mr Miller's remains were located in the pictures.

It had to have been extremely frustrating for the family and the searchers to know there were spots that they couldn't check, but easily could be checked by a drone, yet more than a year went by before they finally had consent to use a drone.

Pretty far away though IMO. Loosely mapped, it’s at least 85 miles and 90 minutes away or more between the two “last seen” locations.

Where is Barbara and why is her thread still closed for review for a month?

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12
It was still closed because it got out of control. Since I am here I can monitor it better. However, we will close it again if posters do not keep to the rules. Please remember our wonderful moderators are all volunteers. There are times we cannot open up threads due to the number of alerts we continue to get 24/7. If you really want to help out then everyone please mind the rules so we can keep the alerts down.
For everyone, in a nutshell,
Don't be a jerk when you post.
Don't make a personal post directed at another poster that is negative
Don't accuse people who have never been mentioned in this case of committing a crime.
KEEP ON TOPIC.
Thank you.

It was still closed because it got out of control. Since I am here I can monitor it better. However, we will close it again if posters do not keep to the rules. Please remember our wonderful moderators are all volunteers. There are times we cannot open up threads due to the number of alerts we continue to get 24/7. If you really want to help out then everyone please mind the rules so we can keep the alerts down.
Don't accuse people who have never been mentioned in this case of committing a crime.
KEEP ON TOPIC.
Thank you.

Thanks so much, Tricia. :)

Actually, I agree, I was asking because I questioned where the remains were found. I have truly had the same questions you have had throughout this search for Mr. Miller. But am also open for any possibilities.

KEEP ON TOPIC.
Thank you.
Thank you Tricia. Sorry things got out of hand there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck