Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Find Paul Miller page posted an update that said it might take days or weeks for the identification of the remains; I assume this is what they were told by the authorities, and I hope the process is completed quickly.

Update from California

As many of you may know or have seen in the media, human remains have been found in Joshua Tree National Park - in the area of the 49 Palms Oasis Trail.

The park and local officials are in contact with Paul's family, but there is no confirmation on the identity of the remains they have located.

Confirmation could take days or weeks, especially given the holiday season. We will post an update regarding identification once family has been informed and are prepared to comment.

We ask that you please respect the family's wishes for peace and prayers as they await official identification from California.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and support.

Find Paul Miller

Human remains found near where a Guelph hiker went missing in 2018

KITCHENER -- Human remains found in Joshua Tree National Park may belong to a Guelph man who went missing nearly a year and a half ago.

Paul Miller's family confirms that the remains were found not far from where he vanished in July of 2018.

Dawne Robinson, Miller's sister, tells CTV that the analysis of the remains is underway.

She says her brother's dental records have been sent to help with identification.

"We are keeping our fingers crossed, as strange as that may sound, we are hoping that it’s Paul because it’s been a long year and a half," she says. But we're optimistic. We're very cautious at this point because we don’t want to get our hopes up. Hopefully the dental records will clarify whether it’s Paul or not."
The discovery was made in a remote, rocky and steep location away from any trails. Robinson says an agency has helped the family search for Miller using a drone and has taken hundreds of photographs.

Robinson says the family had passed within 20 metres of the spot where the remains were later discovered on one of their multiple ground searches.

I'm guessing they know who it is by now, but need to inform family and go through formalities. While they won't make an official identification based on such things as shoes and shoe size, they will have a pretty good idea.

The area where the body was found is accessible from the trailhead that Paul used, but as I understand it, the body is pretty far from any trail.

They can use dental records more quickly than DNA. It's hard to believe he had no personal items on him, although it's been reported that he liked to hike "light" and rarely took wallet or phone. I would assume they found or will find a camera nearby.
He had no phone with him but he would have had car keys and the camera.

Says they passed within 20 meters of the spot.
When I posted that it stunned me, I confess. Though 20 meters is still far enough I guess, to miss seeing him, especially in the desert. His sister did such a thorough search both times, I suppose it's inevitable that she was not far from finding him. Assuming this is him (likely I'd say) I'm glad someone found him.

Dawn Robinson is Paul's sister:

Human remains found where Guelph, Ont. man went missing in 2018

Even without knowing for sure, Robinson said her gut is telling her those remains belong to her brother.

She said there is a sense of sadness but also relief.

“It’s been a long year-and-half,” Robinson said. “Just not knowing what happened to Paul has been really, really difficult.”

Robinson said a drone team had volunteered to help in the search and spotted the remains in one of the thousands of photos taken during a three-day scan of the desert area.

Dawn Robinson is Paul's sister:

Robinson said a drone team had volunteered to help in the search and spotted the remains in one of the thousands of photos taken during a three-day scan of the desert area.

I understand that Western States Aerial Search, and Wings of Mercy may have been involved in photographing the area and sorting through the photos.

From their webpage: "Wings of Mercy is a continually growing Not for Profit organization which uses cutting-edge Software, Drone Technology, All Terrain Vehicles, Divers, ROV's, Dogs, Trackers and any other available assets, to not only help families locate their missing loved ones, but all missing persons."

It's good to see how this technology is being used in rescue work.

https://www.wingsofmercy.ca/

Wings of Mercy

Wow ... I'm at a loss for words right now. Somehow I didn't expect Paul to be found relatively close to his last known location because of the extensive searches carried out.

Great job by the drone operators and the people sorting through the footage!

If it is Paul shouldn't the family be 99% sure by now just going by the clothing and items found with the remains?

Wow ... I'm at a loss for words right now. Somehow I didn't expect Paul to be found relatively close to his last known location because of the extensive searches carried out.

Great job by the drone operators and the people sorting through the footage!

If it is Paul shouldn't the family be 99% sure by now just going by the clothing and items found with the remains?

Yes, the items left with the remains, clothing, camera, water bottle, would indicate that Paul has been found. The verification is for formalities only.

Someone earlier suggested that he may have been standing on ground that gave away under him, causing him to fall to a place where searchers couldn't see. Searchers would be able to pinpoint places where there were blind spots. The drones would be useful to check areas like fallen edges along cliffs, etc.

So far, just this:

Human remains found in Joshua Tree National Park, no foul play suspected

The bones had been there for some time, and no foul play was suspected. But the cause of death has yet to be determined, the NPS said. There were personal items near the bones, but no identification.

Police told the Desert Sun that they are in touch with Miller’s family.

“At this time, the decedent’s identity has not been confirmed, and the manner of death is undetermined,” the NPS said. “There are no initial indicators of foul play.”

The discovery is in a remote, rocky, steep location away from any trails.”
It certainly sounds like Paul has been found at last. Let’s face it, after all this time, no sightings, no money transactions, no bank or credit card transactions, no digital footprint whatsoever, we all knew Paul had to be deceased and he was in JT waiting to be found. His family can get the closure they need, lay him to rest and know where he is finally. It’s sad and my heart goes out o them, I’m glad they have Paul back though. If it is Paul. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3