Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When they searched for Paul did they look across the street. David Blake was on the other side of the rd from were they were looking frim the main Mtn. He was across the rd back in the woods next to some big rocks. <modsnip - rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
@ 1:44 (this isn't word for word going by memory but along these lines...) Paul's wife says she asked them if they weren't looking for Paul but for a dead body and they said YES....and her first thought was get me out of here....i need to be with my kids.

Last edited:
Look at all those rocks. It’s not hard to understand why he hasn’t been found. I still believe he slipped, hit his head (or passed out, or had heart failure), and is wedged somewhere.
So many rocks....

He will eventually be found.

Amateur speculation and opinion

Look at all those rocks. It’s not hard to understand why he hasn’t been found. I still believe he slipped, hit his head (or passed out, or had heart failure), and is wedged somewhere.
So many rocks....

He will eventually be found.

Amateur speculation and opinion

It does seem that if he went that particular trail and then accidentally ventured off the trail, there wasn't that much time for him to go very far off trail, especially given how quickly the search began. And from what I read they searched everywhere around that area.

Is there a possibility he went in a totally different direction than what he told his wife ? I know it may not be a popular theory, but I still don’t think the possibility can be ruled out. Could this be an explanation why he hasn’t been found?
I know the Ewasko case has been brought up, but FWIW, his was quite different, for one, no one knew for sure where he was hiking, so they really had very, very little to go on.

It does seem that if he went that particular trail and then accidentally ventured off the trail, there wasn't that much time for him to go very far off trail, especially given how quickly the search began. And from what I read they searched everywhere around that area.

Is there a possibility he went in a totally different direction than what he told his wife ? I know it may not be a popular theory, but I still don’t think the possibility can be ruled out. Could this be an explanation why he hasn’t been found?
I know the Ewasko case has been brought up, but FWIW, his was quite different, for one, no one knew for sure where he was hiking, so they really had very, very little to go on.
I've always thought this to be a giant part of this mystery. It was known where to search for him and the searching started very quickly, especially in terms of how much time often goes by before someone is reported missing and a search begins. The fact that his wife was expecting him back quickly and that they had a plane to catch in Vegas, expedited this whole case.
Now, I've looked back to see if I could find info on searches other than the area and could only find some mention of off-trail, but still off THAT trail. Search began in parking lot, and covered a widespread area over time. If that includes beyond the parking lot, I haven't found any concrete statement. jmo

if we are going to consider that he did not even go in the direction he was reportedly hiking in, then don't we also have to consider the myriad other possibilities that might also not be as reported? I promise I am not being argumentative, just trying to shake loose any new ideas.

If we always do what we have always done, then we will always get what we have always gotten.

I hope Paul is found soon, and we can learn about these situations.

if we are going to consider that he did not even go in the direction he was reportedly hiking in, then don't we also have to consider the myriad other possibilities that might also not be as reported? I promise I am not being argumentative, just trying to shake loose any new ideas.

If we always do what we have always done, then we will always get what we have always gotten.

I hope Paul is found soon, and we can learn about these situations.
Worth repeating/ resharing:
Tragically Lost in Joshua Tree’s Wild Interior

"If you haven't found them, then they're someplace you haven't looked yet."

I've always thought this to be a giant part of this mystery. It was known where to search for him and the searching started very quickly, especially in terms of how much time often goes by before someone is reported missing and a search begins. The fact that his wife was expecting him back quickly and that they had a plane to catch in Vegas, expedited this whole case.
Now, I've looked back to see if I could find info on searches other than the area and could only find some mention of off-trail, but still off THAT trail. Search began in parking lot, and covered a widespread area over time. If that includes beyond the parking lot, I haven't found any concrete statement. jmo

That's why I'm thinking maybe he didn't go hiking that day, but the evening BEFORE. No one would be any the wiser.... It was very fast that she reported him missing. Perhaps it wasn't that fast after all.... Maybe just that she started to get worried about the flight, but that the morning wasn't when he took off...

They could have got into a couple's argument and he left to "cool down" with a rigorous hike. But, I think, not that morning...

That's why I'm thinking maybe he didn't go hiking that day, but the evening BEFORE. No one would be any the wiser.... It was very fast that she reported him missing. Perhaps it wasn't that fast after all.... Maybe just that she started to get worried about the flight, but that the morning wasn't when he took off...

They could have got into a couple's argument and he left to "cool down" with a rigorous hike. But, I think, not that morning...

There's no evidence to suggest that his wife was lying. Don't forget that Paul had a 3-4 hr lead on the searchers. Unless he sat down on the trail where they could catch up to him, he certainly could have been far enough ahead that they were not going to find him, especially if he had become disoriented and was walking in the wrong direction.

Just want to remind everyone that this trail head is 3 miles DRIVING from a Stater Brothers grocery store and two good sized hotels along 29Palms Highway. If you look at the map it may be less than 1 mile as the crow flies. From the trail itself you can see at several points the houses and highway, at night it would be easy to find your bearings and know which way civilization is. I'm not saying this area isn't rustic, I'm saying that it's not deep in the park with nothing but desert and boulders for 30 miles in each direction. It is literally on the edge of a fairly busy town.

If Paul was "lost" in the first few hours, as an experienced hiker he would have taken shelter from the sun and the 100 degree plus temperatures until nightfall and KNOWING the town was close by (as he drove to the trail head from the town) followed the glow of the city lights to safety, or would have been found by searchers in the afternoon.

If Paul experienced a medical emergency early on how far REALISTICALLY could he have gotten in 100 degree plus temperatures with little water and inappropriate clothing (black).

I still question the account of the morning he left for the hike. Seeing as we have yet to have any confirmation from anyone other than that wife that he was there at the hotel and then left for the hike that morning. However, if LE is buying this story they must have confirmed it's truth.

I'm still 60/40 that Paul was never on the 49 Palms Oasis trail. I'm beginning to feel more like 70/30.

Where are you Paul?

Just want to remind everyone that this trail head is 3 miles DRIVING from a Stater Brothers grocery store and two good sized hotels along 29Palms Highway. If you look at the map it may be less than 1 mile as the crow flies. From the trail itself you can see at several points the houses and highway, at night it would be easy to find your bearings and know which way civilization is. I'm not saying this area isn't rustic, I'm saying that it's not deep in the park with nothing but desert and boulders for 30 miles in each direction. It is literally on the edge of a fairly busy town.

If Paul was "lost" in the first few hours, as an experienced hiker he would have taken shelter from the sun and the 100 degree plus temperatures until nightfall and KNOWING the town was close by (as he drove to the trail head from the town) followed the glow of the city lights to safety, or would have been found by searchers in the afternoon.

If Paul experienced a medical emergency early on how far REALISTICALLY could he have gotten in 100 degree plus temperatures with little water and inappropriate clothing (black).

I still question the account of the morning he left for the hike. Seeing as we have yet to have any confirmation from anyone other than that wife that he was there at the hotel and then left for the hike that morning. However, if LE is buying this story they must have confirmed it's truth.

I'm still 60/40 that Paul was never on the 49 Palms Oasis trail. I'm beginning to feel more like 70/30.

Where are you Paul?
Everything you say makes complete sense. I have also wondered how he could have become so totally unfindable on such a short in-and-out trail with a search for him supposedly starting relatively quickly. Thinking a bit outside the box, and I know foul play was pretty much ruled out, but suppose Paul actually finished the hike and was in bad shape at that time..it was hotter by then, he was wearing dark clothes and he was probably trying to move quickly in order to get back to the hotel within a limited time. Possible someone else was in the parking lot at this time and offered him assistance? Maybe to drive him back or to a medical facility? Anything might have happened after that..he passed away and the person panicked and dumped him....the person had devious intentions to begin with (robbery, for one). I'm reaching, I know, but the points about how easy it would be to self rescue if he just became lost are making sense to me. jmo

Another scenario is that he became so disoriented that he wandered deeper into the remoteness of the park and succumbed to the heat and elements. Again jmo

That would be quite a risky strategy by his wife. There could potentially have been so many witnesses to him and his car the night before. He and the car could have been on cctv at a convenience store or the hotel or been seen by a park ranger or other hiker. She would have had to gamble on not a single sighting of him the previous night to go with that kind of lie that could easily be refuted.

I think he’s still in the park not far from the trail. I don’t think his wife is lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay